Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    sharks don't attack the irish...it's mostly australians...:)

jamaniac is teasing us...holding out on the story, LC ! :D

Only because we're so irresistable.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    jamainiac wrote:
    haha... sorry... not that big a story... just didn't have time to tell it!

We drove up from Charlottetown and it seems going anywhere was a 'huge roadtrip'! (I think that comes from 'small town mentality'?) None of us had been to the Regent in Summerside nor had seen the Hip! The venue was very cool, very tiny used to be a movie theartre and was all slanted... that's okay... so were we :p

Many cocktails later the band takes the stage... we were blown away! Lots of room on the dance floor to actually 'dance'... I couldn't believe there were people staying in their seats?! I think a lot of people didn't make the show because the weather was bad?

Anyhoo... there was a lull between songs and in my drunken stupor I figured it'd be a good time to 'say hello' to the band :p I'm sure I was very attractive! Off I went double fisting rum & cokes and dragging on a cigarette. When I got to the stage the band just started the lead in to 'Long Time Running' ... that's what I was going to ask for! Gord came over to me and of course I was all 'ooohh... that's just what I wanted to hear... I LoVE it!'... He asked my name... asked if he could have a drag of my smoke... told me to 'hang on to my drinks' and picked me up and put me on the stage. I was of course... beaming... :D He sat me on an amp... gave me the cig back and took one of the cocktails... walked over to the mic... started singing the song... and turned and sang to ME! About half way through the song a big black bouncer came side stage and pointed at me and yelled "Get the Fuck off the Stage!" Gord stopped mid verse... looked at the guy and said "Fuck off man... that's my Wife!" :p and the crowd cheered... and in the tiny town of Summerside... I was famous :p

It really was a kick... I had people coming up to me for weeks saying... Hey... was that you on stage at the Hip show?

I moved to Calgary in March of '91 and saw them that spring at The Silver Dollar Action Center... I couldn't believe Gord didn't recognize me :p
    haha...

he didn't recognize you even after you'd been married!?!?! :D

that is an awesome story jamaniac! when you grow up in a small town going anywhere is an adventure...i remember coming to halifax was like a couple of times a year thing and thinking it was so huge...but you got a huge experience and adventure out of that one! good times.

if you're going to get serenaded by gord downie, "long time running" has to be one of the finest choices.

great story! thanks for sharing it...:)
  • Options
    Scubascott wrote:
    Only because we're so irresistable.

are you a hip fan scubascott?...that's just a line from a song called "sharks"...i was listening it last night...come here to share a few hip lines from time to time...:)
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    wow what a great story jamainiac !!!

sounds like a typical summerside crowd hehe

it's odd the regent got bought out years ago, but last year went under new management and got re-named to 'the regent' again for the first time in years

& cheers gord recognizing you like that :)
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Great story, Jamainiac! As for Stripper's Union, I bought the disc the day it came out and liked it right away. It's got a real blues/funk feel to it, and I love Craig Northey's lyrics and singing. And of course, there's some great guitar work from Robby. Anybody here dig Gord's solo stuff? I think Coke Machine Glow is quite possibly one of the best Canadian albums ever made. His second disc, Battle of the Nudes, is mostly made up of leftovers from the CMG sessions, but it's also an excellent record. "Pascal's Submarine" is such a cool song, and I really love "Into the Night", which I think was written about one of Gord's kids:

I saw you running with your friends
    I called your name too loud
    "Come Back"
    Here's where I shook you by the shoulders
    Shoved you up against a truck - "What's up"
    It was a picture of someone getting older
    And of someone growing up

Someone Growing Up

It was like you were in disguise
    You were so nonchalant - "Come on"
    As though your well half-lidded eyes said
    "What the hell do you want?"

well I must've said something
    For you to feel I was alright - "Alright"
    We had a great conversation
    That went on well into the night

Went on well into the night.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Gord's solo work are simply one of the best out there. If you go back a few pages back...I talk very highly of of Coke Machine Glow :D. I am really looking forward for his next album (whenever that will be), after a new HIP album of course.

If anyone's interested...

I found this over at the HipBase...Stripper's Union performance at Canada AM.

http://craig.oddstp.com/craig.html

Click on videos, and then click on the first link that you see.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    ...clayqout sound to cape spear...:)

listening to some "silver jet" and waiting for the last hockey night in canada before the olympics...i'll throw on some "50 mission cap (this song is not about hockey...)" and some "fireworks (all we do is write hockey songs, so here's another hockey song for ya!)" after this...

hip! hip! hip! :D
  • Options

listening to some "silver jet" and waiting for the last hockey night in canada before the olympics..

I love Silver Jet. Have you seen the live version of that song on the new DVD? They play it at a slightly faster speed and it rocks like crazy. The album version pales in comparison.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I love Silver Jet. Have you seen the live version of that song on the new DVD? They play it at a slightly faster speed and it rocks like crazy. The album version pales in comparison.

i have to get that DVD!!! i keep forgetting to pick it up!!...to sam's on monday...:)
  • Options
    SssSss Posts: 10
    Wow! What a kick ass thread!
    Thanks Kleh for sending it to me!
    Great stories everone!
    Personnally when I first heard "Up to here" way back when I was just a base brat, I was fully and completely hooked!
    My favorites include:
    Long time running
    New Orleans is sinking
    Gus the polar bear...
    Tiger the Lion
    Boots or hearts (First song played in my very first car=D)
    Gift shop
    100th meridian
    Fuck, I could really go on forever with this!
    Anyways, great thread!
    Luv,
    S.
    The world does not belong to us
    We belong to the world
    ~Ishmael
  • Options
    i have to get that DVD!!! i keep forgetting to pick it up!!...to sam's on monday...:)

The DVD is of course included in the "Hipeponymous" box set, but you can also buy it seperately on it's own for pretty cheap. I saw it at Best Buy yesterday for $11.99.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    The DVD is of course included in the "Hipeponymous" box set, but you can also buy it seperately on it's own for pretty cheap. I saw it at Best Buy yesterday for $11.99.

...all the more reason why i keep kicking myself for not picking it up yet!... damn this feeble memory!
  • Options
    The hip are awesome. I have always felt they were the Canadian equivalent of pearl jam. I,ve seen them 5 times. A song I've always wanted to here is Cordelia but I've never seen them play it live. One time I even met Gord Downie after a show and asked him about Cordelia. All he said was "Cordelia eh, that's an old one.". I remember seeing them on muchmusic a few years ago and someone requested it. He said something about not remembering how to play it so he got the guy who requested it to come on stage and help. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have seen them play this great and timeless classic recently or if not and you know why they don't play it please share the story.
  • Options
    ...all the more reason why i keep kicking myself for not picking it up yet!... damn this feeble memory!

:D You haven't picked up the dvd?! :eek:

Like what direwolf said...Silver Jet was pretty sweet, it's really quite different. Nautical Disaster was a very haunting version as well and I know you're a huge fan of that song!

I bought my copy for only $9.99! The dvd is calling out for you....it's so cheap...remember to pick it up soon! :)

Hmm I feel like watching it again...
  • Options
    The hip are awesome. I have always felt they were the Canadian equivalent of pearl jam. I,ve seen them 5 times. A song I've always wanted to here is Cordelia but I've never seen them play it live. One time I even met Gord Downie after a show and asked him about Cordelia. All he said was "Cordelia eh, that's an old one.". I remember seeing them on muchmusic a few years ago and someone requested it. He said something about not remembering how to play it so he got the guy who requested it to come on stage and help. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have seen them play this great and timeless classic recently or if not and you know why they don't play it please share the story.

You know...I was wondering the same thing, I don't have the answer though...maybe the other guys here could answer this question. I kinda find it funny what Gord said to you about Cordelia and when they were in Muchmusic, well just a tad bit. That was just interesting. :)

I feel that Cordelia's one of the best tunes in Road Apples, but they never seemed to play it. I really wonder why now....

And I agree with you...the Hip are PJ to us here in Canada! If PJ didn't exist..well you know, Gord and the guys would be number 1 to me.
  • Options

listening to some "silver jet" and waiting for the last hockey night in canada before the olympics...i'll throw on some "50 mission cap (this song is not about hockey...)" and some "fireworks (all we do is write hockey songs, so here's another hockey song for ya!)" after this...

The Women's hockey team are doing so well!!! First it was the Italian team...now the Russians. Oh the the scores are just too funny!

If there's a goal that everyone remembers it was back in ol '72
    We all squeezed the stick and we all pulled the trigger
    And all I remember is sitting beside you

You said you didn't give a fuck about hockey
    I never saw someone say that before
    You held my hand and we walked home the long way
    You were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr

Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
    When the little sensation gets in your way?
    Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
    Isn't it amazing you can do anything?

We hung out together every single moment
    'Cause that's what we thought married people do
    Complete with the grip of artificial chaos
    And believin' in the country of me and you

Crisis of faith and crisis in the Kremlin

And yeah we'd heard all that before
    It's wintertime the house is solitude with options
    And loosening my grip on a fake cold war

Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish
    When you don't let the nation get in your way?
    Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
    Isn't it amazing, you can do anything?

Next to your comrades in the national fitness program
    Caught in some eternal flexed arm hang
    Dropping to the mat in a fit of laughter
    Showing no patience tolerance or restraint

Fireworks exploding in the distance
    Temporary towers soar
    Fireworks emulatin' heaven
    Till there are no stars anymore
    Fireworks aimin' straight at heaven
    Temporary towers soar
    Till there are no stars shinin' up in heaven
    Till there are no stars anymore

Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish
    When the little sensation gets in your way?
    No ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
    Isn't it amazing what you can accomplish, eh?

This one thing probably never goes away
    I think that this one thing is probably supposed to stay
    This one thing doesn't have to go away
  • Options

I agree! The Hip are definitely the Canadian equivelent of Pearl Jam in this country, not so much musically, but just in the way they go about their career. They're truly a fan's band. The Hip may be signed to a major label, but they have a very independent way of doing things. They're masters of their own ship. When the label wanted them to put out a greatest hits package, the band refused to do it unless they included a bunch of new stuff for the hardcore fans, which of course turned into the Hipeponymous box. They choose when to release albums, when to tour, they allow taping at their shows, and they choose their own opening acts. They had their own travelling rock festival that lasted for 3 years (Another Roadside Attraction), and they even have their own version of Pearl Jam's digital downloads. They don't it for every single show like PJ does, but they currently have three shows available from the '04 tour. Go here for more details:

http://www.livedownloads.com

Just do a search for The Tragically Hip and you'll find them. The London, ON show is especially rockin', and it features probably the craziest version of "At the Hundredth Meridian" I've ever heard. The Ottawa show is good too.

This actually reminds me of something Gord said in a radio interview when the Hip played Toledo a few years back. The journalist asked him what it feels like to be the Pearl Jam of Canada, and Gord replied: "I thought Pearl Jam was the Pearl Jam of Canada. Does that mean that they're the Tragically Hip of America?" As usual, a classic response from Gord. I have the bootleg from that show and he even worked the Pearl Jam thing into his rant during Fire in the Hole.

-Tom Waits
  • Options

sorry righteousbabe, but i've seen cordelia twice...and it was awesome! it's SO heavy live...
  • Options
    oh yeah once was in new york, probably seven years ago..the other in halifax, probably four years ago?...i lose track...
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I agree! The Hip are definitely the Canadian equivelent of Pearl Jam in this country, not so much musically, but just in the way they go about their career. They're truly a fan's band. The Hip may be signed to a major label, but they have a very independent way of doing things. They're masters of their own ship. When the label wanted them to put out a greatest hits package, the band refused to do it unless they included a bunch of new stuff for the hardcore fans, which of course turned into the Hipeponymous box. They choose when to release albums, when to tour, they allow taping at their shows, and they choose their own opening acts. They had their own travelling rock festival that lasted for 3 years (Another Roadside Attraction), and they even have their own version of Pearl Jam's digital downloads. They don't it for every single show like PJ does, but they currently have three shows available from the '04 tour. Go here for more details:

http://www.livedownloads.com

Just do a search for The Tragically Hip and you'll find them. The London, ON show is especially rockin', and it features probably the craziest version of "At the Hundredth Meridian" I've ever heard. The Ottawa show is good too.

This actually reminds me of something Gord said in a radio interview when the Hip played Toledo a few years back. The journalist asked him what it feels like to be the Pearl Jam of Canada, and Gord replied: "I thought Pearl Jam was the Pearl Jam of Canada. Does that mean that they're the Tragically Hip of America?" As usual, a classic response from Gord. I have the bootleg from that show and he even worked the Pearl Jam thing into his rant during Fire in the Hole.

classic gord. thanks direwolf. :)
  • Options
    sorry righteousbabe, but i've seen cordelia twice...and it was awesome! it's SO heavy live...

I've also seen them play it twice, once way back in '92 in Calgary, and again in '99 in Spokane, WA. And yes, it's magnificent live. Wish they'd play it more often.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    senn the hip 5 times great to see so much support for the boys from the yanks.......

well done....

in the hipeponymous box set it shows like 5 sold out shows for boston or chicago!!!! that blew me away.....finally gettin their credit./...

hip
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    thought this was pretty cool...the song stats from hipbase...gives you a good idea what tunes they play the most...check it out mariposa..."seven days", played only once! :) "psychadelic ramblings...", maybe under "unknown" ?...

"looking for a place to happen"...only 19?!?..."evelyn"...only 13?!?! "38 years old"...only 20!?!?! those are great tunes!

song name - # times played since 1987

2000 light years from home 2
    38 years old 20
    700 ft. ceiling 112
    ??unknown?? 18
    I can only give you everything 1
    a beautiful thing 22
    ahead by a century 353
    all canadian surf club 12
    all torn up 42
    another midnight 7
    apartment song 20
    are we family 19
    are you ready 66
    as makeshift as you are 41
    at the hundredth meridian 416
    baby please don't go 4
    back off baby 1
    ballroom 2
    blonde solid 1
    blow at high dough 209
    bobcaygeon 276
    boots or hearts 57
    born in the water 1
    bring it all back 19
    butts wigglin 43
    cemetery sideroad 1
    chagrin falls 116
    coconut cream 36
    cordelia 54
    courage 327
    crack my spine like a whip 7
    daredevil 138
    don't wake daddy 94
    down home girl 1
    eldorado 40
    emperor penguin 66
    escape is at hand for the travellin man 168
    evelyn 13
    everytime you go 32
    fifty mission cap 99
    fight 33
    fighter fighter 3
    fire in the hole 230
    fireworks 284
    flamenco 124
    freak turbulence 52
    fully completely 305
    get back again 4
    giftshop 356
    gloria 3
    going going gone 1
    good morning little school girl 2
    goodnight josephine 34
    grace, too 376
    greasy jungle 104
    gus: the polar bear from central park 57
    hailstone hands of god 1
    heart attack love 2
    heaven is a better place today 54
    hey marie 1
    highway girl 14
    i'll believe in you 21
    i'm a werewolf baby 3
    if new orleans is beat 8
    impossibilium 11
    inch an hour 27
    inevitability of death 115
    it can't be nashville everynight 57
    it's a good life if you don't weaken 123
    it's just aswell 2
    it's so easy 1
    killing time 2
    lake fever 127
    last american exit 8
    last of the unplucked gems 81
    leave 4
    let's stay engaged 22
    lionized 62
    little bones 243
    little by little 1
    locked in the trunk of a car 181
    lofty pines motel 1
    long time running 60
    looking for a place to happen 19
    meanstreak 29
    membership 110
    montreal 7
    my music at work 198
    nautical disaster 363
    new orleans is sinking 467
    no threat 2
    on the verge 45
    one night in copenhagen 17
    opiated 43
    ouch 8
    pigeon camera 63
    poets 349
    put it off 41
    puttin' down 103
    radio show 2
    reformed bapist blues 6
    ringing hearts of fire 1
    rockin' in the free world 1
    running for your life 2
    save the planet 117
    scared 126
    seven days 1
    sharks 16
    she didn't know 19
    she's got what it takes 1
    sherpa 42
    silver jet 95
    smalltown bringdown 7
    so hard done by 57
    something on 191
    springtime in vienna 279
    stay 46
    summer's killing us 57
    summerside of life 2
    suzie q 3
    the bastard 13
    the completists 49
    the dark canuck 32
    the darkest one 30
    the dire wolf 54
    the heart of the melt 4
    the luxury 54
    the man comes around 1
    the new maybe 1
    the rules 45
    the werewithal 65
    thompson girl 57
    three pistols 64
    throwing off glass 8
    thugs 72
    tiger the lion 68
    times are passing us by 2
    titanic terrarium 34
    toronto #4 23
    train kept a rollin 6
    train overnight 36
    trickle down 16
    twist my arm 131
    use it up 68
    vaccination scar 57
    vapour trail 111
    waltz for juliette 2
    we'll go too 36
    wheat kings 131
    when the weight comes down 5
    wild mountain honey 25
    yawning or snarling 35
    you see details 1
    you're everywhere 28
  • Options
    my bad...only saw cordelia once...was checking the setlist from NYC...could have sworn they played it...guess not. that's what j.d and a j will do to you...:)
  • Options
    senn the hip 5 times great to see so much support for the boys from the yanks.......

well done....

in the hipeponymous box set it shows like 5 sold out shows for boston or chicago!!!! that blew me away.....finally gettin their credit./...

They've been touring the shit out of the States for years (since 1989), so it doesn't surprise me at all that they can sell out most clubs and theatres down there. Not bad for a band that gets absolutely zero radio play in the U.S. When you tour a country that much though, you're bound to make a few fans along the way. I've noticed they're much more well known in the border States like New York, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota, Washington, etc... It seems the further south they go, the smaller the venue they play. Although I hear they have quite the following in Texas. Go figure.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    Sss wrote:
    Wow! What a kick ass thread!
    Thanks Kleh for sending it to me!
    Great stories everone!
    Personnally when I first heard "Up to here" way back when I was just a base brat, I was fully and completely hooked!
    My favorites include:
    Long time running
    New Orleans is sinking
    Gus the polar bear...
    Tiger the Lion
    Boots or hearts (First song played in my very first car=D)
    Gift shop
    100th meridian
    Fuck, I could really go on forever with this!
    Anyways, great thread!
    Luv,
    S.
    no problem, glad you found it
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    Attention fellow Hip freaks! Go to the Hip's homepage and click on the "song of the day" for a nice little surprise.

http://www.thehip.com

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    oh yeah! nice treat, direwolf! :)

...but i have to ask...what's troubling gus? :D
  • Options
    oh yeah! nice treat, direwolf! :)

...but i have to ask...what's troubling gus? :D

I love that song! Check this out:

http://www.hipmuseum.com/gus.html

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    thanks for the link direwolf...i had heard there was a political metaphor there, but i wasn't aware of the whole story. that's right on. gord outdoes himself once again!

from the first listen of IBE, "gus" was my favourite track...others have grown on me now, but "gus" still stands out, in my opinion.