Options

Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    ok, seriously, you guys are influencing me to listen to a shit load of Hip lately.....

I must say its quite nice :)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    china doll wrote:
    I think Bobcaygen is one of the best songs I have ever heard in my life. When you are at a hip concert it rocks to sing along too. Also Long Time Running and Grace Too.

Fuck this band rocks.

Bobcaygeon is very haunting in such a beautiful way.

It's one of those songs that gives a shiver down my spine every single time I hear it.

:)
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    ok, seriously, you guys are influencing me to listen to a shit load of Hip lately.....

I must say its quite nice :)

You can't go wrong with the Hip.

Yeah...I've also been listening to a lot of Hip...non-stop because of this thread :p.
  • Options
    yeah, i know what you guys are saying. i hadn't listened to songs like "evelyn", "cordelia", "pigeon camera", or "long time running" in a while...even though they are some of my favourite songs. i've been all hip for the past several days. it is a good thing :D
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    *bump* Hey gang! Just found out the Hip will be doing a mini-tour of Europe this summer following the release of their new album. This might be a good excuse for me to finally visit the old world. For those of you planning on catching the boys overseas, here are the official dates:

Fri July 7 – on sale February 3 at 9:00 AM
    London, England - Shepherds Bush Empire
    Tickets £22.50

http://www.ticketweb.co.uk
    http://www.shepherds-bush-empire.co.uk

Sat July 8 – on sale TBA
    Brugge, Belgium – Minnewaterpark - Cactus Festival
    Ticket price: TBA

http://www.cactusfestival.be/

Sun July 9 – on sale now
    Weert, Netherlands – Sportpark Boshoven
    Bospop Festival
    Ticket price: €50.00 (weekend ticket)

http://www.bospop.nl/

Tues July 11 – on sale now
    Amsterdam, Netherlands – Paradiso
    Ticket price: €25.00

http://www.paradiso.nl/index2.php
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    ummm..
    like ....what new album????????
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I'm glad some of you guys have mentioned Gord Downie's solo stuff. Coke machine glow is pure brilliance, and will never get the credit it deserves. He is a brilliant poet, and that album is intoxicating from start to finish.
  • Options
    i would love to see them in amsterdam. could definitely be a good excuse for a trip! hip! hip! hip!
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    ummm..
    like ....what new album????????

they are doing a new album with bob rock, locked. personally, i'm not a fan of bob rock, but i'm always interested in hearing new hip...so i guess we'll have to wait and see how this new collaboration turns out.
  • Options
    i forgot to mention before that the new site has a tragically hip story achive where you can share your thoughts about a particular show, a story relating to the hip, or just your overall experience with a hip event or concert. it's a pretty cool concept. it's called "the hip story project"

here's the story i chose to share...wrote it a few years ago when the hip played the day before canada day on citadel hill in halifax. fantastic concert!...anyway, from june 30th, 2002...

"Hip Day!...Canada Day!"

Citadel Hill in Halifax was the scene of a celebration in Canadian music this past Sunday. It was a celebration like no other and one which most will not soon forget. The concert was supposed to be a pre-cursor to Canada Day festivities in the city but for most it seemed to be celebration enough, as patriotism reached an unprecedented level. The hill was a tapestry of maple leafs from top to bottom.

Things got underway with Buck 65 and his unique brand of spoken word, poetry and rap over little known loops and beats. Then Crush took the stage. They played radio friendly pop tunes that were well received by an appreciative audience. Unfortunately for both openers, an overwhelming amount of people were either moving around or didn’t arrive until the beginning of Sarah Harmer’s set.

The majority of people I spoke to before the show were excited to see Sarah Harmer, and therefore decided to skip the two openers. Waiting to arrive meant that they were greeted by long lines and only two ticket windows at which to purchase tickets. As a result, people waiting in line to buy tickets wound up missing most or all of her set, which was a collection of fantastic tunes delivered by one of the most angelic voices in Canadian music today. Haligonians have known her since her days leading a band called Weeping Tile, and have always treated Sarah Harmer’s unique blend of folk, country, and pop with enthusiasm. Sunday was no exception, especially when she was joined onstage by The Tragically Hip’s front man Gord Downie for a live rendition of their recently released single entitled “Silver Road”. Her set was interwoven with new and old material, but almost always there are Canadian references to Canadian interests. She has always had a connection with the east coast, writing songs like Westray and being inspired by books like Hugh MacLellan’s Barometer Rising.

The line-ups continued into Our Lady Peace’s set, which is a shame because they really put on a fine performance. Some of their past efforts in Halifax have, let’s say, left a lot to be desired. Sunday’s show was definitely promoting the new album, Gravity, but concert-goers did get a chance to sing along with some of their favorites like Clumsy and Starseed. Personally, I would have liked to hear more songs from the debut album, Naveed, but the sound of the entire hill singing along with some of their more popular tunes was a great warm-up for The Hip. There was a great deal of energy amongst the crowd and it would have been interesting to see what kind of reaction OLP would have received had they been the headliner and playing after dark.

This day, however, belonged to The Tragically Hip. They took the stage when the sun went down and were shrouded in a fog of violet light. From the opening number, Use It Up, it was clear that this would be a showcase of the new album. That was all right with the fans, however, as Hip fans are dedicated enough to enjoy the songs they don’t know well yet, but undoubtedly will grow to love, and thunder their applause at the ones they are familiar with. This thunderous approval was most evident on Hip classics like New Orleans is Sinking, Locked in The Trunk of a Car, and Blow at High Dough. It is amazing how powerful the feeling can be when tens of thousands of voices are reciting poetic verses with Canadian themes. The crowd absolutely erupted at mention of Toronto and Newfoundland.

As always, they were equally enthused by the mid-song interpolations of Gord Downie. He, along with the band, can lead an audience on a journey through a song that will leave them wondering where the journey began in the first place. Then they come back with twice as much force to finish it off. This was the case with rockers like At the Hundredth Meridian and a new one called Silver Jet. The hill shook with the power behind that one. The power of voices was also remarkable as the crowd chanted “Hip! Hip! Hip!” on several occasions. The chants continued long after The Hip left the stage and the sea of red and white faded into the night. There were glaring omissions of Hip classics, but you never feel disappointed after a Hip show. You just hope that they make the trek back to the East Coast soon so you can hear the omitted classics as well as those that have made the transition to sing along status.

A friend of mine, visiting from Missouri, joined me at the end of the concert. He reminisced about seeing The Hip last year in a bar in Chicago with about 250 transplanted Canucks. I told him of a trip I took with a few of my friends to New York City about four years ago to see The Hip in a ballroom. The capacity for that show was about one thousand people, most of whom seem to have made the journey across the border. Seeing close to 30,000 people on Citadel Hill on Sunday and relating these stories prompted us to wonder why our friends south of the border have never caught on to this secret. Hearing close to 30,000 people sing Hip songs word-for-word all night long made me want to keep the secret where it was.
  • Options
    Great story! Man, I've got at least a dozen stories just like that. I haven't sent one into the new website yet, but after reading yours and a few others, I'll have to get on that soon. The new album is rumored to be in stores this spring, so I imagine we'll be hearing lots of news and upcoming tour dates pretty soon. My friends and I will definitely be making a trip across the border this year to see them in the U.S. We do it every tour and it's always a great time!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    It's great to see the Hip thread alive once again :D. I'm quite curious what Bob Rock to offer...I can't wait!

Silver Road is a sweet song...what an awesome collaboration. Thanks for the great review Mookie!

Which reminds me...any of you guys seen Men With Brooms?
  • Options
    mariposa wrote:
    It's great to see the Hip thread alive once again :D. I'm quite curious what Bob Rock to offer...I can't wait!

Silver Road is a sweet song...what an awesome collaboration. Thanks for the great review Mookie!

Which reminds me...any of you guys seen Men With Brooms?

you know i haven't seen it yet, but i always meant to check it out...it's now on the list! :) i love the video for silver road with gord as the rink "janitor". great video. it was awesome to hear sarah and gord do the song together at that concert.

direwolf, i know what you mean about crossing the border to see the hip. it's fantastic to see them in a smaller venue, and it's almost always a bunch of canucks having a great time. i'm going to try to get back to NYC to see them again...maybe boston...

anyway, that story archive is a pretty cool idea, so if you all have stories to share you should put one on there. mine was a condensed version of a concert review i did for a local music website and once i saw the concept on the new website i thought it would be appropriate to submit it. happy to hear you liked it. there's all kinds of submissions, from poetry to anecdotes to concert experiences...so there's some interesting stuff to read. the history of the hip as told by their fans!

can't wait for the new album :)
  • Options
    I haven't seen it either...a movie about curling should be really interesting. And I'm just really curious about seeing the guys there... "Team Kingston". That's too funny. I can't believe Leslie Nielsen was also in the movie.

The Silver Road video was great, I agree...:) and any video with Gord acting is pretty fascinating, I think! You're very fortunate to see those two sing together...hopefully they'll collaborate more in the future.

They did a really great job with the new website..the story archives are such a wonderful idea! Hip hip. :D
  • Options
    direwolf, i know what you mean about crossing the border to see the hip. it's fantastic to see them in a smaller venue, and it's almost always a bunch of canucks having a great time. i'm going to try to get back to NYC to see them again...maybe boston...

My buddy and I saw them two nights in a row in Boston back in '02 at the Somerville Theatre. Both shows were incredible and we were treated to two completely different setlists each night. Over the years I've noticed that the American fans are just as hardcore as the Canadians and it's loads of fun meeting those people and partying with them. The Bostonians I met at those shows were some of the coolest people I've ever met. One guy was from New York and was following the band around the Eastern U.S. for two weeks. To this day he's the craziest Hip fan I've ever met.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    My buddy and I saw them two nights in a row in Boston back in '02 at the Somerville Theatre. Both shows were incredible and we were treated to two completely different setlists each night. Over the years I've noticed that the American fans are just as hardcore as the Canadians and it's loads of fun meeting those people and partying with them. The Bostonians I met at those shows were some of the coolest people I've ever met. One guy was from New York and was following the band around the Eastern U.S. for two weeks. To this day he's the craziest Hip fan I've ever met.

good to hear there are some fans of the hip in the US. i'm sure they must be die hard! "locked" is certainly one of them! sounds like you had a good time in boston. i should convince a couple of friends here to take a road trip i think...i've always wanted to see a game at fenway, so maybe i could get lucky enough that a hip date would coincide with a ball game...:D
  • Options
    "let me out....let me out...let me out!!!...." :D
  • Options
    Bump Bump! :D

I've been hearing a bit of David Milgaard news again...well last month. Just thought I'd post this song, it's one of the greatest Hip songs IMO.

Wheat Kings

Sundown in the Paris of the Prairies
    Wheat Kings have all their treasures buried
    And all you hear are the rusty breezes
    Pushing around the weather vane Jesus

In his Zippo lighter, he sees the killer's face
    Maybe it's someone standing in a killer's place
    Twenty years for nothing, well that's nothing new,
    besides, No one's interested in something you didn't do

Wheat Kings and pretty things (Wheat Kings and pretty things)
    Let's just see what the morning brings (Let's just see what the morning brings)

There's a dream he dreams where the high school is dead and stark
    It's a museum and we're all locked up in it after dark
    Where the walls are lined all yellow, grey and sinister
    Hung with pictures of our parents' prime ministers

Wait and see what tomorrow brings (Let's just see what the morning brings)

Late-breaking story on the CBC,
    A nation whispers, "we always knew that he'd go free"
    They add, "you can't be fond of living in the past,
    cause if you are then there's no way that you're gonna last".

let's just see what tomorrow brings (Let's just see what the morning brings)

Ah, that's what tomorrow brings

I'm sure you guys know about this website already. :)

http://www.hipmuseum.com

But it will be helpful for new Hip fans. We need more Hip fans around here!
  • Options
    it was this time of year...january 31st, 1969 that the terrible murder of gail miller happened. probably why milgaard's been in the news recently...i would guess.

8,355 days in prison for something you didn't do...i can't even imagine....
  • Options
    Which make sense. And I finally remember that news 3 weeks ago...Milgaard is also hoping that he will be allowed to testify in writing instead of going in front of television cameras to relive his case. I still can't believe he was only 16 then.

A nation whispers, "we always knew that he'd go free"
    They add, "you can't be fond of living in the past..."
  • Options
    what a beautiful song...and an "ode" to those who've seen injustice and suffered because of it...for lack of better words.

i know people go nuts every time i've seen them play it in concert. people know most hip songs word for word, but this one especially is sung by the fans without missing a word. this one really seems to hit on something with people, and that's a good thing, i think.
  • Options
    what a beautiful song...and an "ode" to those who've seen injustice and suffered because of it...for lack of better words.

i know people go nuts every time i've seen them play it in concert. people know most hip songs word for word, but this one especially is sung by the fans without missing a word. this one really seems to hit on something with people, and that's a good thing, i think.

Another song that gets people singing along at the top of their lungs is "Nautical Disaster", which I find really interesting because the song isn't really that catchy or radio-friendly. There's no discernable verse, chorus, or even a bridge. It's basically Gord's beautiful lyrics set to a circular bass line and chord progression. If you've never heard the song, that might make it sound boring or uninteresting, but I'm tellin ya, it's the best thing they've ever written. A seamless marriage of poetry and rock. Robby Baker's guitar solo during the coda is f**king brilliant, and it's the perfect example of why I love his playing so much. He's never too flashy and his solos are always smooth, soulful and heartfelt. To quote Dave Bidini, "Baker's playing is what gives the Hip's songs their painterly colors."

For some great insight into the inspiration for the song, go here:
    http://www.hipmuseum.com/nautical.html

"Nautical Disaster"

I had this dream where I relished the fray
    and the screaming filled my head all day.
    It was as though I'd been spit here, settled
    in, into the pocket of a lighthouse on some
    rocky socket, off the coast of France, dear.

One afternoon, four thousand men died in
    the water here and five hundred more were
    thrashing madly, as parasites might in your
    blood. Now I was in a lifeboat designed for
    ten and ten only, anything that systematic
    would get you hated. It's not a deal nor a
    test nor a love of something fated. The
    selection was quick, the crew was picked in order
    and those left in the water got kicked off our
    pantleg and we headed for home.

Then the dream ends when the phone rings,
    you doing alright he said it's out there most
    days and nights, but only a fool would
    complain. Anyway Susan, if you like, our
    conversation is as faint as a sound in my
    memory, as those fingernails scratching on my hull.

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    that's one thing that's always amazed me direwolf...the fact that many tunes don't have a traditional sing along archetype (particularly in nautical disaster, as you said) and some of the words would be difficult enough for some people to pronounce, let alone sing along to :D...but somehow people know every word and sing along without missing a beat. amazing!

i like your bidini quote. cool.
  • Options
    good to hear there are some fans of the hip in the US. i'm sure they must be die hard! "locked" is certainly one of them! sounds like you had a good time in boston. i should convince a couple of friends here to take a road trip i think...i've always wanted to see a game at fenway, so maybe i could get lucky enough that a hip date would coincide with a ball game...:D

Where have you guys been my whole life..????????????????????
    I'm a lifelong Bostonian (never been to Canada) and long time PJ/Hip maniac both starting in 1993-1994(thankfully they have been touring at different dates..

here are my Hip stats BTW:
    8/6/94 Middle East, Boston
    11/10/94 Orpheum, Boston
    4/21/95 Somerville theater
    10/23/95 Fleet Center, Boston
    5/17/96 Avalon, Boston
    10/4/96 Avalon, Boston
    8/11/98 Bill's Bar, Boston
    12/5/98 Orpheum, Boston
    6/29/00 Somerville theater
    6/30/00 Somerville theater
    7/27/02 Somerville theater
    7/28/02 Somerville theater
    9/21/04 Avalon, Boston

I filmed all of the Somerville shows, maybe you've seen one of my bootleg DVD's out there? (Thanks to Chris K. from Hiptracker.com, he edited them)
    I finally took a break for the 2004 Avalon show.. turns out nobody filmed it or recorded it for audio (Arrrrg!) so I guess I'm the offical Boston filmer for the 2006 tour..
    Can't wait for the new site to get "fully" loaded and let's keep in touch as PJ and the Hip both release new albums . tour dates..!~!!
    As Gord would say "It's a good life if you don't weaken"...2006 will put our wallets to the test (with PJ / Hip shows, T-shirts and offical bootlegs.. eh?)
    PS: I'm also "Locked" on Hipbase.com..
    Peace my new friends,
    Scott in Boston
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    i absolutely LOVE that henhouse cd

butts wigglin, man. nuff said

overall i remain a loyal fan cause they are still kicking out some great music and are always great live

note: if you haven't signed up to the new fan club yet, now is the time. gone is the THC...
  • Options
    oh yeah! pigeon camera...that whole album...pigeon camera is yet another underappreciated hip gem.

I don"t belive they have played that song live since Gord forgot the lyrics during the famous 7/28/02 show in Somerville..?

Can anyone confirm?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    "let me out....let me out...let me out!!!...." :D

"can you open your trunk sir..?
    I'm hearing a meuwing sound..."

GD 7/28/02
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    I don"t belive they have played that song live since Gord forgot the lyrics during the famous 7/28/02 show in Somerville..?

Can anyone confirm?

LOL! I was there that night and that was a classic Gord moment. Love how he kept asking those of us in the front row to feed him the lyrics:

"I've forgotten the words and I'm gonna need some help here. I'm not fucking kidding."

And you're right. As far as I know they haven't played that song since that night. Everytime they tour the Hip pull out a few gems from the past and sprinkle them throughout the set. Here's a short list of songs I'd love to hear them play on the '06 tour:

Pigeon Camera (of course!)
    Put it Off
    Yawning or Snarling
    Tiger the Lion
    Sharks
    Heart of the Melt (not an old song, but I'd love to hear it)
    Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man
    Thompson Girl
    Emperor Penguin
    The Luxury
    Opiated

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    "fire in the hole" is a great one to hear live...only heard them play it once, but it fargin' rocked!

thanks direwolf and locked for sharing that story about pigeon camera...pretty funny :) not so funny that they haven't played it since though...

...and i am "let me out" over at thehip.com :D
  • Options
    "fire in the hole" is a great one to hear live...only heard them play it once, but it fargin' rocked!

They still play Fire in the Hole fairly often. It seems to pop up during the encore every third or fourth show, although I've seen them open with it a couple times like at Edgefest 2003. That song is great live and it never fails to kick my ass. It's an absolute monster of a song. Kind of a weird punk-rock/metal hybrid...or about as close to punk as the Hip have ever gotten (not counting the other two beasts in their repertoire, The Wherewithal and Heart of the Melt). Ever hear/see the version of Fire in the Hole from Woodstock '99? Incredible!

-Tom Waits