Tragically Hip ...

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    locked wrote:
    who let this thread slip so far back..?

Direwolf?

Speak to me, Direwolf?...

:)

I'm here! I've been crazy busy, so I haven't been posting as much lately. You must be getting excited for the gig at the Avalon. If I was still living in Ottawa, I'd definitely be driving down there to join you. I have many fond memories of the Somerville Theatre triple-header back in '02. Good times! I just noticed that The Constantines are opening that show. Make sure you get there early and check those guys out. I think you'll like 'em. Great band.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • I know nothing about the Tragically Hip, but I want to get into them. So can someone please recommend me what to start with? I know I probably should just look back in the other pages but I don't have time to do that right now. Thanks.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I know nothing about the Tragically Hip, but I want to get into them. So can someone please recommend me what to start with? I know I probably should just look back in the other pages but I don't have time to do that right now. Thanks.

*ahem* Direwolf? :)
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    I know nothing about the Tragically Hip, but I want to get into them. So can someone please recommend me what to start with? I know I probably should just look back in the other pages but I don't have time to do that right now. Thanks.

Welcome! I usually recommend starting with their 2-disc greatest hits collection "Yer Favourites". That'll give you a good indication of what they sound like and how their music has evolved over the years. Once you've absorbed that, you'll probably want to start getting into the studio albums (of which they have 11). The following albums are widely considered to be their best:

Day for Night
    Phantom Power
    Fully Completely
    Road Apples
    Trouble at the Henhouse
    World Container

Happy listening!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Hey guys 'n gals..

I think the Hip are good luck for me. Remember when I first startted posting in this thread I had won tickets to the Hip on the Hour? Well, you're not gonna believe this, but I won front row tickets to The Hip/The Who in Chicago tomorrow night as well! I got a call Thursday evening from thewhotour.com informing me that I am the Chicago front row contest winner. I don't know what seats I will have in the front row, but I have never been in the front for an assigned seating show in my life, so I don't guess it really matters much which seats are mine. The only thing I regret is that I still have not seen a full on Hip show. The only other time I saw them was for New Years Eve this year at House of Blues in Chicago. It was great, but still, shorter than their normal shows. As a result of them doing NYE and The Who show, it seems they are not going to headline one of their own shows here. Hopefully they will come back and give us a full show in the near future.

Send some vibes out tomorrow night for Fiddler's Green, Long Time Running and 38 Years Old. I really really wanna hear these three songs!

Peace
    Just me
  • Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    Zanne wrote:
    Hey guys 'n gals..

I think the Hip are good luck for me. Remember when I first startted posting in this thread I had won tickets to the Hip on the Hour? Well, you're not gonna believe this, but I won front row tickets to The Hip/The Who in Chicago tomorrow night as well! I got a call Thursday evening from thewhotour.com informing me that I am the Chicago front row contest winner. I don't know what seats I will have in the front row, but I have never been in the front for an assigned seating show in my life, so I don't guess it really matters much which seats are mine. The only thing I regret is that I still have not seen a full on Hip show. The only other time I saw them was for New Years Eve this year at House of Blues in Chicago. It was great, but still, shorter than their normal shows. As a result of them doing NYE and The Who show, it seems they are not going to headline one of their own shows here. Hopefully they will come back and give us a full show in the near future.

Send some vibes out tomorrow night for Fiddler's Green, Long Time Running and 38 Years Old. I really really wanna hear these three songs!

Peace

Bump.... how was the show you lucky bastard?
    Peace,
    Posted at thehip.com today:

Two New Show Announcements

Friday May 11th: Chicago: House of Blues

On-Sale: March 10 @ 10am
    Wheelchair accessible
    Tickets: $30.50 Adv, $32 dos

HOB box office 312.923.2000, all Ticketmaster outlets and http://www.ticketmaster.com

HOB.com presale for chicago. Wednesday march 7th. stay tuned to thehip.com touring section for more info

Sunday July 15th: Calgary: Saddledome

On-sale: March 17th @ 10am

Tickets: $79.50, $62.20 and $45.00
    Tickets available at all Ticketmaster locations and http://www.ticketmaster.ca

There will be a presale for registered users of thehip.com on tuesday march 13th. stay tuned to http://www.thehip.com touring section for more info.

I love the Hip, and normally I'd step over my own mother to see them live, but $79.50?? Yikes. That's way too steep for me, especially for a show at the Saddledome. I think I'll wait until they announce the 2nd leg of the U.S. tour and go see 'em for $25 in Spokane.

-Tom Waits
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
    Two Birds wrote:
    Bump.... how was the show you lucky bastard?

Just a quickie.. I just got home. I really had a great time tonight @ Sears Centre. I wish, of course, that The Hip played a longer set, but Johnny Fay handed me his drumsticks! I'm sure it was because I was the only person standing for their set. Such disrespect from us ugly Americans. =( Oh well, hell with the others, I got the sticks! Thank you Johnny! I made a sign for Fiddler's Green, but no go.

THEN! To come here and see they added a show at the HOB. What a fantastic day! I'll be there with bells on May 11th! I'll make another Fiddler's Green sign. =)

Oh. The Who rocked the fuck outta the house, too! *laugh* I held up a sign (the opposite side of my Hip sign) thanking them for the tickets.. Roger acknowledged me with a nod and a smile. He has a very contagious smile, and one hell of a voice! They still got it. I gotta run through my pictures as soon as I get my wind back. Getting old sucks. I wish I could do it as gracefully as Pete and Roger. =P

PEACE!
    Just me
  • Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    Zanne wrote:
    Just a quickie.. I just got home. I really had a great time tonight @ Sears Centre. I wish, of course, that The Hip played a longer set, but Johnny Fay handed me his drumsticks! I'm sure it was because I was the only person standing for their set. Such disrespect from us ugly Americans. =( Oh well, hell with the others, I got the sticks! Thank you Johnny! I made a sign for Fiddler's Green, but no go.

THEN! To come here and see they added a show at the HOB. What a fantastic day! I'll be there with bells on May 11th! I'll make another Fiddler's Green sign. =)

Oh. The Who rocked the fuck outta the house, too! *laugh* I held up a sign (the opposite side of my Hip sign) thanking them for the tickets.. Roger acknowledged me with a nod and a smile. He has a very contagious smile, and one hell of a voice! They still got it. I gotta run through my pictures as soon as I get my wind back. Getting old sucks. I wish I could do it as gracefully as Pete and Roger. =P

PEACE!

I'm jealous!!!
    Peace,
    I remember a girl on her cellphone
    surrounded by her friends
    eyes flickering she's trying
    to smother her smile in her hands
    Is it someone for us
    someone more worry-free
    someone who can say'
    "leave the worrying about him to me Josephine"?

I remember you there in the last rays
    of light at diplomacy's end
    eyes flickering you're crying,
    "but , isnt this when the crimes begin?"
    when the people you want to don't
    and the people who do
    you don't believe
    do you Josephine?

I remember you there at the table
    surrounded by all the days plans
    eyes flickering you're trying
    to let a coffee cup warm your hands
    maybe we're born lost
    born to perserve
    but honey I'd walk into your painting
    until I reappeared
    as a speck of comet-tail dust
    a blue-green northern light
    flickering just
    in your eyes' deepest ravines
    goodnight goodnight Josephine
    Cock Fight.
  • Floor GA..3/29 at the Moore...one of my friends bailed. Figured I would offer it up here! Face value, of course...about $42 USD.

"World Container" is a great new disc by the Hip...out now in the US if you don't already have it! (I myself bought it on the Canadian release in the Fall!)

Let me know if interested. Peace!
    I will not lose my Faith, it's an Inside job today....
    Floor GA..3/29 at the Moore...one of my friends bailed. Figured I would offer it up here! Face value, of course...about $42 USD.

"World Container" is a great new disc by the Hip...out now in the US if you don't already have it! (I myself bought it on the Canadian release in the Fall!)

Let me know if interested. Peace!

Nice! I wish I could afford to follow the Hip everywhere! I'll have to catch them in May in Chicago next tho.. My boyfriend is ready to cut off my funding for all the money I am spending on bands lately. Have a blast.

Peace
    Just me
  • lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    Hey everyone, big Hip fan here and I need some advice. I just noticed that they sell live shows online and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the Hip Live shows. Is there one that I absolutely have to get or should I just grab all of them? :D thanks!
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
    lukin321 wrote:
    Hey everyone, big Hip fan here and I need some advice. I just noticed that they sell live shows online and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the Hip Live shows. Is there one that I absolutely have to get or should I just grab all of them? :D thanks!

I'd say if you haven't heard it yet check out Live Between Us the official live album first!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    fuck man they covered the who's ''i can't explain'' the other night in buffalo i think it was, i hope a recording of that surfaces!!

Lost_Clay wrote:
    fuck man they covered the who's ''i can't explain'' the other night in buffalo i think it was, i hope a recording of that surfaces!!

http://www.hipfans.com !! woohoo ! & a recording of '1979'

-Tom Waits
    Setlists!

March 8th, Harro East Ballroom, Rochester, NY:

The Lonely End Of The Rink
    New Orleans Is Sinking
    The Drop-Off
    Daredevil
    In View
    Ahead By A Century
    Fly
    Poets
    World Container
    Fiddler's Green
    Luv(sic)
    At The Hundredth Meridian
    Pigeon Camera
    The Kids Don't Get It
    Grace, Too
    Wheat Kings
    Yer Not The Ocean
    Blow At High Dough
    Family Band
    Pretend
    Escape Is At Hand For the Travellin' Man
    Fire In The Hole

March 9th, Town Ballroom, Buffalo, NY:

The Lonely End Of The Rink
    Courage
    The Drop-Off
    Boots Or Hearts
    In View
    Bobcaygeon
    Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me
    Nautical Disaster
    Pretend
    Long Time Running
    Luv(sic)
    At The Hundredth Meridian
    38 Years Old
    The Kids Don't Get It
    Springtime In Vienna
    Scared
    Yer Not The Ocean
    Blow At High Dough
    Family Band
    Can't Explain (The Who)
    Fully Completely
    Little Bones

March 10, Town Ballroom, Buffalo, NY:

Family Band
    New Orleans
    Drop Off
    Dire Wolf
    In view
    ABAC
    Gift Shop
    Fly
    Fireworks
    World
    Fiddler's
    Luv(sic)
    Meridian
    Good Life
    Kids
    Wheat
    Ocean
    Music at Work
    Rink
    1979 (Smashing Pumpkins)
    Fire

-Tom Waits
  • thanks to lost clay and bharQ for the tunes, and to direwolf as always for the setlists! :) awesome!

hip! :D
    bharQ wrote:
    I'd say if you haven't heard it yet check out Live Between Us the official live album first!

Oh yea i've got that already! And an audio rip of That Night In Toronto!
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
    lukin321 wrote:
    Oh yea i've got that already! And an audio rip of That Night In Toronto!

Not sure then... direwolf would know better..... OR just pick em all up:D

How did you hear about the hip anyways? have they ever played down there?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    lukin321 wrote:

My personal favorite is the Ottawa show, 11/28/04. It's got one of the best versions of "At the Hundredth Meridian" I've ever heard.

-Tom Waits
    bharQ wrote:
    Not sure then... direwolf would know better..... OR just pick em all up:D

How did you hear about the hip anyways? have they ever played down there?

My cousin lent me his copy of Fully Completely back in '96 or so and I was hooked after the first few spins. They made it to Orlando for the In Violet Light tour and I caught that show..it was amazing! They're only coming as far south as Atlanta on this tour and if it wasn't tomorrow night i'd make that drive in a heartbeat.
    direwolf74 wrote:
    My personal favorite is the Ottawa show, 11/28/04. It's got one of the best versions of "At the Hundredth Meridian" I've ever heard.

Hmm I might have to pick that one up then, thanks!
    lukin321 wrote:
    My cousin lent me his copy of Fully Completely back in '96 or so and I was hooked after the first few spins. They made it to Orlando for the In Violet Light tour and I caught that show..it was amazing! They're only coming as far south as Atlanta on this tour and if it wasn't tomorrow night i'd make that drive in a heartbeat.

Nice.. you guys get clubs shows down there all the time too.. lucky :).. although I guess I was fortunate enough to catch tickets to their first Canadian club tour in a looong time...

Fully Completely is one of my all time favourite albums.. cousin picked a good one to lend you!!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Zanne wrote:
    Hey guys 'n gals..

Peace

Holy crap, Z!!!!
    It's been a while since i've checked this thread.... congratulations on another Hip win!! where are you hiding those horseshoes??? :p

It's karma!! giving away your The Hour tickets brought The Who tickets back to you!! i'm glad you finally got enjoy some of your spoils... :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    I'm bored at work, here's a run down of my fav to least fav hip albums.

1. Phantom Power
    The Hip at the their very best, a stunning album - for once the production is perfect, all but one track (The Rules) are amazing. Poets and Vapour Trails are great rock songs, Bobcayeon is breathtaking and 'Escape' and 'Penguin' maybe the greatest ending to any album ever.

2. In Between Evolution
    The Hip went back to basics on this albums, this album is packed with great songs they very nearly better the ending of Phantom Power with the double whammy of 'Family' and 'Josephine'.

3. Fully Completely.
    The most playable Hip album, just hit play and listen to it, no weak tracks to skip and the song order is perfect, the thing that lets this album down is the woeful production which makes it sound like it was recorded though a sock.

4. Day For Night.
    This seems to be regarded by alot of fans as the best album and it is great but I always feel it's got maybe 2 songs to many on it - it's still a great album and Nautical Disaster and Grace Too are easily amoung the top few Hip songs ever.

5. In Violet Light.
    You don't see this album to high in most peoples list but this album in my opinion has 3 of the very best Hip songs ever (Darkest One, It's a Good Life and Silver Jet) and then there is 'Dire Wolf' my fav Hip song ever which makes up for some of the weaker tracks.

6. World Container.
    The new in your face poppy'ed up Hip. It's short and sweet full of hooks and big choruses - It feels like a chocolate snack compared with the normal ful meal hip albums and that's fine with me.

7. Road Apples.
    Still alittle to rootsy and bluesy for my liking to be honest, it's still full of great songs '3 Pistols' 'Cordelia' and 'Fiddlers Green' are brilliant but there are a couple of meh songs like 'On the verge' (may have got that name wrong) and 'Fight' is awful, probably the worst Hip album track for me.

8. Music@Work.
    An album of 2 halfs. The first 7 tracks are amazing 'Lake Fever', 'Stay' and 'The Bastard' being the highlights. However the latter 7 tracks are pretty weak (The Bear and Sharks are ok) and feel rushed and more like b-side material.

9. Up To Here.
    Again to rootsy and bluesy for me to really enjoy (never been a fan of the stones) 'High Dough' and 'New Orleans' are of course classics and a few others are good, but overall I don't play this album much anymore.

10. Trouble At The Henhouse.
    This is my least favourate Hip album simply because it's the only album where they sound lazy, it could basically be the outtakes from 'Day For Night'. 'Ahead by a Century' stands out at the one true killer song while '700ft Ceiling' and 'Apartment Song' are pretty good, but crap like 'Coconut Cream' and 'Butts Wiggling' are comic b-sides at best.

There you go, sorry for terrible grammar, spelling but I have to keep hiding it when the boss in around ;)