Options

Learning Guitar

Comments

• Options
    cmalisze wrote:
    I was given guitar lessons for XMas ! I have never even played guitar and I am very excited to learn. I was hoping the music studio rented guitars but, they do not. So, I went in the store today and the was the model that was recommended as a starter set. I was hoping for some help. The salesman also recommended a few others but I feel comfortable spending this to get started. Any help?.....

http://www.westmusic.com/1002403-guitars-folk/g7000-guitars/g7000a-acoustic/g7000a14-packages/fender-r-dg-8s-solid-top-guitar-value-package.htm

That's not a bad starter guitar. A few of my students have the same one. I would recommend taking it to a guitar luthier to have it properly adjusted after you purchase it.

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    Jon Chorba wrote:
    cmalisze wrote:
    I was given guitar lessons for XMas ! I have never even played guitar and I am very excited to learn. I was hoping the music studio rented guitars but, they do not. So, I went in the store today and the was the model that was recommended as a starter set. I was hoping for some help. The salesman also recommended a few others but I feel comfortable spending this to get started. Any help?.....

http://www.westmusic.com/1002403-guitars-folk/g7000-guitars/g7000a-acoustic/g7000a14-packages/fender-r-dg-8s-solid-top-guitar-value-package.htm

That's not a bad starter guitar. A few of my students have the same one. I would recommend taking it to a guitar luthier to have it properly adjusted after you purchase it.

Awesome! Thanks...I am thinking of going and purchasing it today and having my first lesson Saturday! I am really excited.
  • Options
    cmalisze wrote:
    Jon Chorba wrote:
    cmalisze wrote:

Awesome! Thanks...I am thinking of going and purchasing it today and having my first lesson Saturday! I am really excited.

How'd your lesson go?!

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Jon Chorba wrote:
    How'd your lesson go?!

He can't type...his fingers hurt too much :mrgreen:
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Jon Chorba wrote:
    How'd your lesson go?!

Hahahahahaha. Those days before calluses suck. hahahahahaha
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Jon Chorba wrote:
    How'd your lesson go?!

Hahahahahaha. Those days before calluses suck. hahahahahaha

My fingers are sore!!! haha but it is going ok. I hope I can find the patience to become good....
  • Options
    cmalisze wrote:

My fingers are sore!!! haha but it is going ok. I hope I can find the patience to become good....

You will inevitably reach a point where you get very frustrated, maybe even to the point of wanting to quit. It has happened to every guitar player, myself included. In my experience, both in learning and in teaching others, the biggest breakthroughs happen RIGHT AFTER you get to that big point of frustration.

• Options
    Jon Chorba wrote:
    cmalisze wrote:

You will inevitably reach a point where you get very frustrated, maybe even to the point of wanting to quit. It has happened to every guitar player, myself included. In my experience, both in learning and in teaching others, the biggest breakthroughs happen RIGHT AFTER you get to that big point of frustration.

Absolutely right. Last week I almost smashed up my gutar I was so entaged with not being able to do something. Then the next day I wrote a song which is probably the best thing I've managed. You are totally right. I wanted it too much so it wouldn't come but when I relaxed the next day it just came easily.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    I hope so! I am so excited to keep learning but, I lack in the gift of patience.....
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i'm going on about 4 years of seriously trying to get better at guitar. i think i spent the first 2 not wanting to quit. i started with basic open chords then moved onto barre chords then scales.

heres the basic chords. they get harder as you scroll down.

http://justinguitar.com/en/CH-000-Chords.php

this is real good to learn once you get the basics down. called the CAGED system. has all the different shaped chords and helps understand chord structure and which notes create chords where.

http://justinguitar.com/en/TB-030-CAGEDsystemVid.php
  • Options
    megatron wrote:

this is real good to learn once you get the basics down. called the CAGED system. has all the different shaped chords and helps understand chord structure and which notes create chords where.

http://justinguitar.com/en/TB-030-CAGEDsystemVid.php

In my honest opinion, the CAGED system cause more problems in the long term than it solves. You will have a much better understanding of the fretboard by memorizing 3 note per string scales and arpeggios. CAGED isn't a "bad" system but it is not the best.

• Options
    Jon Chorba wrote:
    cmalisze wrote:

Absolutely right. Last week I almost smashed up my gutar I was so entaged with not being able to do something. Then the next day I wrote a song which is probably the best thing I've managed. You are totally right. I wanted it too much so it wouldn't come but when I relaxed the next day it just came easily.

I'll tell you what really really helps...keep a log book or journal of your playing. Anything that can be measured in speed (bpm) should be logged and any non measurable skill should be documented in some way, like an audio or video recording. Sometimes it is really hard to remove yourself form your own playing and notice your own progress. Having verifiable PROOF of your progress will keep you motivated and less frustrated.

• Options
    cmalisze wrote:

By this time next year you will be amazed how far you have come. Just keep playing every day.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    quote="RedMosquito22"]
    cmalisze wrote:

By this time next year you will be amazed how far you have come. Just keep playing every day.[/quote]

I am currently the best yankee doodle and jingle bells player around! :lol::lol:
    lessons are going well thanks!
  • Options
    USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    Go for it!
    Funny thing is I have been thinking about giving it a try too.
    I am pretty small so I am going to try the Fender Starcaster Mini, ever hear of those?
  • Options
    squirt wrote:
    Go for it!
    I am pretty small so I am going to try the Fender Starcaster Mini, ever hear of those?

I'd stay away from mini electric guitars.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • Options
    What's the bad news on the minis? I was going to try and find a shop that actually has them in stock opposed to buying off ebay
  • Options
    squirt wrote:
    Go for it!

A few of my younger students have them. If you have freakishly small hands or are very young, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, you are OK with getting a standard size Strat. Trust me, after some time, your fingers can and will stretch farther than you currently think they can...

• Options
    WooHoo, I did it, got the Fender Strat coming, I pitty the lady that lives below me
  • Options
    Jon ChorbaJon Chorba Posts: 268
    squirt wrote:
    WooHoo, I did it, got the Fender Strat coming, I pitty the lady that lives below me

Awesome. I've bought gift baskets and have shoveled snow covered driveways for my neighbors in order to make up from the obnoxious amounts of music that get played!

• Options
    BerasapjBerasapj Posts: 292
    I've one question about guitars, I'm new on guitar too.

I've a Epithone LP with four killswitches, but I don't know which is the function of them can somebody explain it to me, please?

Thanks in advance
    Manchester 1&2 2012

Waiting for the next PJ euro Tour

Hoping not to get drown in the wave of life
  • Options
    It's cool but my fingers are sore
  • Options
    Berasapj wrote:
    I've one question about guitars, I'm new on guitar too.

I've a Epithone LP with four killswitches, but I don't know which is the function of them can somebody explain it to me, please?

Thanks in advance

Can you post a link to what specific guitar you have? I've never heard of any guitar having 4 kill switches. One is all you need.

• Options
    Manchester 1&2 2012

• Options
    Berasapj wrote:

Ahh I see what you are saying about 4 "kill switches"...those knobs control the volume and tone of each pickup. The knobs closest to you when playing are the volume and the lowest ones control the bridge pickup.

A true killswitch is something different. Some guitars have the knobs set up so that you could push them in and go from full volume to silence with a single press.

• Options
    tax time means no time to practice
  • Options
    So, I am roughly 3 months in to learning the guitar. While I admit, I don't have as much time to practice like I would hope I feel as if I may be a little behind. I am taking lessons and I am not sure if I am receiving the best instruction. What exactly should I be taught this far in my lessons? I know my basic chords well but, thats as far as I go. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Jon Chorba wrote:
    Berasapj wrote:

Ahh I see what you are saying about 4 "kill switches"...those knobs control the volume and tone of each pickup. The knobs closest to you when playing are the volume and the lowest ones control the bridge pickup.

A true killswitch is something different. Some guitars have the knobs set up so that you could push them in and go from full volume to silence with a single press.

Thanks!
    Manchester 1&2 2012

• Options
    Dont know if this site has been mentioned before but it has some great stuff for all levels :D
    http://www2.gibson.com/Lessons/Skills-House.aspx
    I am struggling with the guitar myself, fantastic teacher but just dont have the talent for it!
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    cmalisze wrote:
    So, I am roughly 3 months in to learning the guitar. While I admit, I don't have as much time to practice like I would hope I feel as if I may be a little behind. I am taking lessons and I am not sure if I am receiving the best instruction. What exactly should I be taught this far in my lessons? I know my basic chords well but, thats as far as I go. Any thoughts?

I'm surprised that 3 months in you've learned nothing but chords -- ie. not learned "scales".

I don't want to second guess your instructor, but you may at least want to look up "E Major Pentatonic Scale Guitar" and give it a go by yourself.

Scale With ROOT Tone In Red
    List of Pentatonic Scales With Fret Number Indicated -- Scroll Down For E Major Pent

This is what you're scrolling down to see:
    E Major Pentatonic
    e-|--|2-|--|4-|--|--|7-|--|9-|--|--|12|--|14|--|16|--|--|19|--|21|--|--|24|
    B-|--|2-|--|--|5-|--|7-|--|9-|--|--|12|--|14|--|--|17|--|19|--|21|--|--|24|
    G-|1-|--|--|4-|--|6-|--|--|9-|--|11|--|13|--|--|16|--|18|--|--|21|--|23|--|
    D-|--|2-|--|4-|--|6-|--|--|9-|--|11|--|--|14|--|16|--|18|--|--|21|--|23|--|
    A-|--|2-|--|4-|--|--|7-|--|9-|--|11|--|--|14|--|16|--|--|19|--|21|--|23|--|
    E-|--|2-|--|4-|--|--|7-|--|9-|--|--|12|--|14|--|16|--|--|19|--|21|--|--|24|

Like I said,
    wouldn't wanna second guess your teacher,
    but if you haven't even GIVEN A CURSORY LOOK to the scale, you NEED TO, by yourself, with another teacher, or however.

You WILL NOT UNDERSTAND GUITAR UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND HOW THE SCALE IS COMPOSED.

It is NOT a mystery.
    You DO NOT need "theory". Don't even get scared or anxious.
    Just sit down, and PATIENTLY and SLOWLY put your fingers on the frets as indicated in as intelligent a fashion as possible ...
    Go Back To This Scale Page and look at the top section. Those are your scale "positions" pick any one of them, play it ANYWHERE on the fretboard. GENERALLY (rule), the X's farthest to the left of the screen, you play with your POINTER finger. The next farthest out, with your middle finger. So for that first position on the page, the X on the low E string you are going to play it with your MIDDLE finger, because it is ONE IN from the Xs on both the D and G string (which you will play with your POINTER) ... sounds confusing, but try it.

THIS IS YOUR SCALE.
    LEARN IT.

Don't worry about where each position is or how they relate.
    JUST START PLAYING THOSE PATTERNS.
    If you want to try learning the entire scale in sections. That's great too.
    JUST START PLAYING IT.
    THIS IS IT.
    That is how you will "LEARN" guitar.
    I promise. It will take a while. But you will get it.
    Once you start learning those patterns, your brain will UNLOCK songs.
    You will see tab, and you will instantly (ok, almost instantly) be able to realize, HEY that is such-and-such pattern ... i KNOW where i am on the fretboard. I know what i'm doing. Hell you may not even know the key you are in, or WHAT scale you are playing. Here is the secret - they are ALL the same. Just in different places. The ones in the link (those pattterns) that is IT. Really.
    Well, i mean, there ARE ***SOME*** other scales (and modes, eww gross, modes) but who needs em.
    GO LEARN THE PENTATONIC SCALE.

Then hit your teacher in the head for not showing you them.
    :D

I bet when you start studying the scale,
    you will start to see and "unlock" the chords you have used.
    You can see how they "fit" "into" the scale.
    :D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?