Options

Learning Guitar

Comments

• Options
    Hey Linda,
    I'd try Small Town for a good acoustic song, but Alive is pretty simple too and nearly everyone recognises it. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    j-bugj-bug Posts: 272
    can anyone give me some advice on strumming patterns? :mrgreen:
    Seek,
    Find be yourself.
    Don't follow the herd.
    Don't repeat in spite of the encores.
    Be yourself.
    Otherwise you'll bore us.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAcbfcp1TSQ

theres a good betterman lesson there
  • Options
    I would say, without a teacher (as I was), learn the chords and then learn the rhythm parts to songs you love. That's what I did, I learned a bunch of Who, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, and Eagles songs. Learning something you already know by ear helps. After I learned the rhythm, I started to try to learn the ubiquitous solos ("Stairway to Heaven", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Hotel California", etc.). This process has helped me, at least. I moved to Austin, TX, as a rhythm guitarist and singer, but got quickly promoted to lead guitarist and now I do this for a living, so it worked for me. I ain't Clapton, but I know how to play guitar and I taught myself using this method. I hope this helps you. :)
  • Options
    Hey, I dont' know what's been said already, but here's my two cents:

Don't quit guitar once you start it, because if you ever want to pick it up again, you'll have to learn again. If you're experienced enough, you can pick it up anytime (even years) and know how to play.

Learn songs that are easy (like chordal songs). Learn the rhythm, the chords and the lyrics too! Then when you feel comfortable, starting going for harder songs (gradually). If you're looking for PJ songs, then songs like "Last Kiss" (I know it's not officialy PJ) is a good start. It's basically Cs, Ds and Gs. Without the solo's, "Black" is good too and "Small Town." Jane's Addiction's "Jane Says" is very easy too. Anyway, pick easier songs, then gradually pick yourself up to harder songs. Listen to the the song while you play sometimes too, learn the timing and patterns.

Also, this may sound silly, but learn easy leads as well, like "Three Blind Mice." I know, it's really childish and believe me, I hated it too when I learned it in school. But it does pay off to know how to play songs on lead. It shows which note is better for that particular song choice. This leads up to learning lead on other songs (like Guns N' Roses or Pearl Jam).

Lastly, jam on your own. Fiddle around. What I mean is, just play random stuff. Do your own little solos, chords, etc. As if, make your own song. This helped me learn too. WIth the knowledge I knew, I just jam on random chords and make up my own little solos, and when I was handed a song, it would be easier to learn. Jsut have fun with it, don't make it like a choir or a pain. It's fustrating at first, but don't let that get you down. Just have fun with it.

Thanks for reading. I don't know if this helps at all, but I wanted to express how much I love guitar. Don't give it up, it really good in the long run.
  • Options
    jgs90jgs90 Posts: 16
    Thanks for all this awesome Info guys. I have been on and off of trying to learn to play the guitar. I am now introduced to some new sources...thanks :-)

Peace guys.
    2009: Wachovia Spectrum 10/28
  • Options
    After you get past the most basic of the basics:

1. Keeping your guitar in tune in standard tuning (low to high: E A D G B E);

2. Comfortably switching between open chords (C, G, D, Dm, A, Am, E, Em, and the painful F chord ;), as well as various open 7th chords);

3. Strumming the basic 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and rock 'n roll rhythm;

4. Strumming the waltzy 1-2-3-4-2-3 rhythm from "Small Town" (see? Ed also gives free lessons! :D) --

Find another musician of any instrument (but ideally guitar), and jam with him/her. (If you're going to jam with a woodwind or brass player, you might need a capo for your open chords. You'll both figure it out.) If jamming partner is a bit more experienced, you'll likely get an almost instant boost of experience (kind of like one of those multiplayer video games LOL), but try not to make the more experienced player feel like he's/she's giving you lessons.

If your jamming partner is similarly experienced as you, then you both will have some fun (and frustration, at times) trying to create harmony and rhythm through trial and error. I think feeding off one another's energy and discoveries is something worth pursuing. A jamming partner is simultaneously a quasi-bandmate and a quasi-audience (and vice versa). If you're going to try soloing over a chord progression, how would you know if various ideas and melodies sound good (other than also learning multitrack recording, then recording all the parts)?

If you can't find anybody, jam with your CDs and MP3s, but hopefully, you can find a resource to tell you the chords in the simplest of terms. Browse YouTube for various people with webcams and acoustic guitars, and maybe you can play along with them. My brother and I have been posting some of our simple, sometimes sloppy, jam sessions as an mp3 podcast. It is an experiment to see if we can teach through jamming. I don't want to spam the forum, so I won't link my own stuff in this post (but it might be in my signature :twisted:). In any case, that Justin Guitar guy is awesome! I didn't know about that guy until tonight, so thanks for the link! (Maybe PJ should've named "Johnny Guitar" differently. LOL)

To sum up this rant: (1) Learn the basics, (2) jam with somebody, and (3) grow musically. I hope some of this helps! (Finding a proper teacher works, too. 8-))
    Ryan DeRamos
    saw PJ live in 2006 and 2009; Stone in 2008!
    <a href="http://www.deramos.org">DeRamos.org Webcomic</a> & <a href="http://www.chorddujour.com">Chord du Jour Podcast</a> & <a href="http://twitter.com/deramos">Twitter</a&gt;
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

Thanks, that was great.

I've got a friend who knows all the PJ stuff and has been convincing me that it is all 'easy' to play. I'm surprised at how many of the songs in the catalogue are simple to play. I'm using a classical guitar, so it's mainly the quieter stuff but I think that most people could pick up the following songs after a few days, maybe not like Mike Mc but still passably well:

Light Years
    Betterman
    Yellow Led
    Alive
    Porch
    Immortality
    EWBTCIAST
    Corduroy

I'm stuck a bit on 'I Am Mine' though, which tells some of you better players about my skill level!
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    MayDay10 wrote:

Thanks, that was great.

I've got a friend who knows all the PJ stuff and has been convincing me that it is all 'easy' to play. I'm surprised at how many of the songs in the catalogue are simple to play. I'm using a classical guitar, so it's mainly the quieter stuff but I think that most people could pick up the following songs after a few days, maybe not like Mike Mc but still passably well:

Light Years
    Betterman
    Yellow Led
    Alive
    Porch
    Immortality
    EWBTCIAST
    Corduroy

I'm stuck a bit on 'I Am Mine' though, which tells some of you better players about my skill level!

which part is giving you trouble on i am mine? i've been learning it too 8-)
  • Options
    I've been learning on and off for a number of years but don't get the chance to practice as much as I'd like.

Does anyone know where I can find the chords for "Off He Goes" - the part I'm struggling with is when Eddie sings "like he's riding in on a motorbike, in the strongest wind" - there's a little three chord change there and again on "perfectly un-kept clothes". I've watched a few Youtube videos, but when I play them it just doesn't sound right.

I also can't decide if playing an open F or barre chord F works better.

I'd appreciate any help. ;)
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • Options
    I've been learning on and off for a number of years but don't get the chance to practice as much as I'd like.

Does anyone know where I can find the chords for "Off He Goes" - the part I'm struggling with is when Eddie sings "like he's riding in on a motorbike, in the strongest wind" - there's a little three chord change there and again on "perfectly un-kept clothes". I've watched a few Youtube videos, but when I play them it just doesn't sound right.

The ultimate guitar site usually has some good tabs. Not all are perfect but they have rating, so you can see which people think are worthy efforts.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/p ... es_tab.htm
  • Options
    i shit and i stinki shit and i stink Posts: 1,122
    edited November 2009

I've got the 'd' progression at the start not to sound too terrible and the chorus is easy but I struggle with that DFCG in the verse. To be honest, I just can't play the F well yet! The rest sounds okay. My mate suggested that it's because I'm using a fat necked classical guitar so it is difficult to play the bar chords because the neck is so wide. He recommended buying an acoustic steel stringed guitar as it has a thinner neck and bar chords are easier to play. Personally, I think he was just being kind regarding my lack of ability but it's nothing a couple of years playing around won't cure ;)
    Post edited by i shit and i stink on
  • Options

Go halfway between the not-really-open F ;) and the F barre with an F/C chord (the /C signifies a non-root bass note, even though this is technically a second-inversion triad, yadda yadda yadda :lol:):

E--1--
    B--1--
    G--2--
    D--3--
    A--3--
    E

It lends itself to a quick change to and from the C chord (just lift your pinky, shift your middle, and un-barre your index). With the same C bass note, it gives the illusion that you're in the "same place" as far as pitch goes. I'd have to do some research to determine if Ed, Stone, and/or Mike use the F/C chord for this song.

In any case, it's also useful for "Wishlist."

I've got the 'a' progression at the start not to sound too terrible and the chorus is easy but I struggle with that AFCG in the verse. To be honest, I just can't play the F well yet! The rest sounds okay. My mate suggested that it's because I'm using a fat necked classical guitar so it is difficult to play the bar chords because the neck is so wide. He recommended buying an acoustic steel stringed guitar as it has a thinner neck and bar chords are easier to play. Personally, I think he was just being kind regarding my lack of ability but it's nothing a couple of years playing around won't cure ;)

Any non-capo/non-alterate tuning permutation of F is the bane of anyone who's learning how to play guitar. ;) I definitely remember putting my fingertips through hell fretting the F! Definitely keep at it!

RE: Steel-string acoustic - be warned that on some guitars, the action might be a bit too high and the original strings a bit too thick for comfort. If you encounter that kind of acoustic guitar, you might want to replace the strings with some ball-end nylons, or a thinner gauge of acoustic strings, or even a set of electric strings - all for the sake of non-masochistic learning. :)

I hope any of this helps. Cheers!
    Ryan DeRamos
    <a href="http://www.deramos.org">DeRamos.org Webcomic</a> & <a href="http://www.chorddujour.com">Chord du Jour Podcast</a> & <a href="http://twitter.com/deramos">Twitter</a&gt;
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip, De Ramos. On the note (lame pun intended) of acoustics...

I'm on the look out for a new guitar and it's a tricky decision. I started 4 months ago and vowed to use the cheap classical one I have bought for a year until I can actually play. I manage about an hour a day, so I have a little progress (I don't sound terrible but I do swear at my left hand frequently).

Friends have told me that, 1) anything with rock chords / barre chords sounds "buzzy" on an classical guitar once you get down the frets as it's not designed for that kind of music, 2) once you play a classical for a year and learn how to play on it, your playing will improve tenfold when you buy a better, acoustic guitar. My friend who is teaching me says that a better guitar makes a better player. I always thought clothes don't make a man but....

If you have any recommendation for the "next step up" guitar, it would be appreciated. I'm gonna see out my year mastering my left hand with my current one but I want to get a good, reasonably priced guitar to progress with after that.
  • Options
    j-bugj-bug Posts: 272
    i bought a cheap classical guitar for £25 before i decided if i really wanted to play.it hardened my fingers up and gave me a base by which to compare buying a steel stringed acoustic.it also meant when i went to buy a new one i knew how to tune a guitar.when i was shopping for a new one i found some guitars where impossible for me to tune.the best way to buy a guitar is to go into a shop and try them.there will be a guitar in the shop that just feels right in your hands.

i bought a £200 steel string in August,i had been playing my cheap classical for 9 months at that pont,and it just felt like the right time to progress.
    Seek,
    Find be yourself.
    Don't follow the herd.
    Don't repeat in spite of the encores.
    Be yourself.
    Otherwise you'll bore us.
  • Options

I've got the 'a' progression at the start not to sound too terrible and the chorus is easy but I struggle with that AFCG in the verse. To be honest, I just can't play the F well yet! The rest sounds okay. My mate suggested that it's because I'm using a fat necked classical guitar so it is difficult to play the bar chords because the neck is so wide. He recommended buying an acoustic steel stringed guitar as it has a thinner neck and bar chords are easier to play. Personally, I think he was just being kind regarding my lack of ability but it's nothing a couple of years playing around won't cure ;)

for the verse i use D, F, C, G.
    but i keep the pinky down on the G note. 3rd fret of the high E string.
    i could never find a good clip on youtube of ed playing it so i made sure to pay attention at ed's solo show in atlanta. lucky enough i was close enough to see and he played i am mine.
    i'm not sure what it's called but he kept his pinky on the 3rd fret of the high E sting. the G note while playin a partial F and C

so it goes D

then the F type chord with the pinky
    E--3--
    B--1--
    G--2--
    D--3--
    A----
    E----
    then the C with the pinky never movin
    E--3--
    B--1--
    G----
    D--2--
    A--3--
    E----
    and then a G

after that the "i am mine" part he used a barred F into a regular G and then Am. i'm still workin on those barre chords as well. just takes time
  • Options

for the verse i use D, F, C, G.
    but i keep the pinky down on the G note. 3rd fret of the high E string.
    i could never find a good clip on youtube of ed playing it so i made sure to pay attention at ed's solo show in atlanta. lucky enough i was close enough to see and he played i am mine.
    i'm not sure what it's called but he kept his pinky on the 3rd fret of the high E sting. the G note while playin a partial F and C

so it goes D

then the F type chord with the pinky
    E--3--
    B--1--
    G--2--
    D--3--
    A----
    E----
    then the C with the pinky never movin
    E--3--
    B--1--
    G----
    D--2--
    A--3--
    E----
    and then a G

after that the "i am mine" part he used a barred F into a regular G and then Am. i'm still workin on those barre chords as well. just takes time

Ah, I meant to write 'D' progression and DFCG!

Thanks for that, it's easier to play and sounds better, too. :D
  • Options
    I play guitar and i am self taught. Im not the best i just look up songs i like and teach myself to play them. once you learn the basic chords alot of it is just variations. i got no idea how to read music a good website is ultimate guitar.com. good luck :twisted:
    Mattress!!
  • Options
    PJ73PJ73 Posts: 68
    I'll throw in my 2 cents on http://justinguitar.com here. A couple of people mentioned it two or three pages ago and I just read about a few weeks past and so far I think it has been great! I have picked up more these past few weeks than I have either of the other numerous times I've tried to learn guitar. I'm 36 and haven't played a guitar since I was 21, and I was plain rubbish then, but his lesson plan has me improving and making actual songs and not noise.

Meanwhile, I cannot get a B7 chord to work - any advice (aside from practice, practice, practice)?

PJ73
  • Options
    PJ73 wrote:
    I'll throw in my 2 cents on http://justinguitar.com here. A couple of people mentioned it two or three pages ago and I just read about a few weeks past and so far I think it has been great! I have picked up more these past few weeks than I have either of the other numerous times I've tried to learn guitar. I'm 36 and haven't played a guitar since I was 21, and I was plain rubbish then, but his lesson plan has me improving and making actual songs and not noise.

Meanwhile, I cannot get a B7 chord to work - any advice (aside from practice, practice, practice)?

PJ73

If

E--2--
    B--0--
    G--2--
    D--1--
    A--2--
    E

(the open B7) doesn't work for you, try these barre chord versions:

E--2--
    B--4--
    G--2--
    D--4--
    A--2--
    E

or

E--7--
    B--7--
    G--8--
    D--7--
    A--9--
    E--7--

All B7 chords. I hope that provides some help (other than 'practice!' :lol:). Cheers!
    Ryan DeRamos
  • Options
    PJ73PJ73 Posts: 68
    DeRamos wrote:
    PJ73 wrote:

PJ73

If

E--2--
    B--0--
    G--2--
    D--1--
    A--2--
    E

(the open B7) doesn't work for you, try these barre chord versions:

E--2--
    B--4--
    G--2--
    D--4--
    A--2--
    E

or

E--7--
    B--7--
    G--8--
    D--7--
    A--9--
    E--7--

All B7 chords. I hope that provides some help (other than 'practice!' :lol:). Cheers!

Thanks DeRamos! That does help - I've never had too much problem with barre chords, so I'll work with those until I get my fingers a little stronger and can move them independent of one another!

PJ73
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    I've been trying to learn guitar for a while but I can never stick to it long. Recently I've started again and have been learning chords and what keys they go in, but I don't know what else I should be doing. I've been waiting on my only local guitar teacher to get a free space so I can learn, but in the interim I want to know some stuff before I do.

Just be prepared to PRACTISE "8" hours! ***E V E R Y*** SINGLE day! for 20 years!...to be as GOOD as 'MIKE'...PMSL :P
  • Options
    Hawk JamHawk Jam Melbourne, Australia Posts: 121
    Just bought my first guitar, a cheap electric but am keen to learn. Always wanted to and at 36 years old I thought I'd better get cracking.

In a years time I want to be able to play along to the most basic PJ song, for the guru's out there am I kidding myself?
  • Options
    Hawk Jam wrote:
    Just bought my first guitar, a cheap electric but am keen to learn. Always wanted to and at 36 years old I thought I'd better get cracking.

In a years time I want to be able to play along to the most basic PJ song, for the guru's out there am I kidding myself?

You're not at all kidding yourself. With practice, you should be able to play the most basic of tunes sooner than later. I'd start with "Elderly Woman...."

Once you learn you G, C, and D chords, you can play the entire song and you'll feel really good about doing so, which in turn will make you want to learn and practice even more. Hope all goes well for you man!
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    Hawk JamHawk Jam Melbourne, Australia Posts: 121
    Thanks Stickmanjam, I've gone down the TAB path. I read somewhere it was easier and quicker to learn but I should be more disciplined and learn chords also.
    Anyway having fun, can play bits and pieces, so it's going well so far
  • Options
    savmansavman Posts: 230
    Hawk Jam wrote:

You're not at all kidding yourself. With practice, you should be able to play the most basic of tunes sooner than later. I'd start with "Elderly Woman...."

Once you learn you G, C, and D chords, you can play the entire song and you'll feel really good about doing so, which in turn will make you want to learn and practice even more. Hope all goes well for you man!

Learn A too. I think there is an A7 somewhere in the chorus of Small Town
  • Options
    yea there is an A7 i believe..
    but i just play the Cadd9, G for the chorus. keeps it simple. good for learning rythym
  • Options
    but i just play the Cadd9, G for the chorus. keeps it simple. good for learning rythym

Just remember Ed's count of "one, two, three, FOUR, two, three..." (6/8 time). He usually counts this off before the band plays the song live. It's very waltzy. :D
    Ryan DeRamos
  • Options

I play...

For the most part...

D, Cadd9, G, Cadd9, G

And for the two changes... ("all these changes taking place, etc" and "I change by not changing at all, etc"

A7 and Cadd9 several times with Em at the end before going back into the basic pattern.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    darek wrote:
    im 29,
    do you think i can still learn to play a guitar..i mean be a good guitarist?

Shit i'm 32 and just picked up the guitar 3 months ago and have come a long way. Practice is what it is. I am disabled so i have alot of time on my hands to practice. I try to get at it 6 days a week for atleast a half hour. But no matter how much i practice i never feel like i practiced enough. Somedays i will go at it for two or three hours and feel like i should have got at it more. I intend on being the best fucking guitarist you never heard! ROCK ON!!!!!
    My butt itches!