framed poster thread

Comments

• bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    (Ok) wrote:
    not sure if you pay to get the uv glass (i've never understood why to do that unless its going to be in direct sun)
    The reason is because even if it's not in direct sun it will still fade, and even with UV glass it will still fade if kept in direct sun. It's just a matter of how much, and if you want to minimise that, why wouldn't you use UV glass?
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    so 16mths on.. i finally get around to the framer...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/lincsPJ/IMGP0708.jpg
    http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/lincsPJ/IMGP0706.jpg

dunno why they are sideways... they are orientated the right way in photobucket.. hmmm

The second picture has to be the best location to "show off a framed poster" i've ever seen on the pit!
    bazzer wrote:
    The reason is because even if it's not in direct sun it will still fade, and even with UV glass it will still fade if kept in direct sun. It's just a matter of how much, and if you want to minimise that, why wouldn't you use UV glass?

Of course it will come down to personal preference and cost, but after having my '06 Hawaii klausen framed for almost two years now, with no uv glass and mostly in indirect sun, I'm sure glad I didn't spend the extra for it because it hasn't faded a bit...also my framer told me it was a scam, most glass sold as uv doesn't really even protect from most of the suns rays that could damage it (he has worked in art gallaries over the years, so I trust he's knowledgable), so I personally have never paid for it....just my preference I guess.
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    (Ok) wrote:
    The second picture has to be the best location to "show off a framed poster" i've ever seen on the pit!

thanks mate. i thought it fit nice in the little niche... until the wife finds something else to put there!
  • pajopajo Posts: 3,292
    It's actually our first framed poster. Since it is a very colorful poster and since the environment it was intended for is colorful as well, we went for a slightly different framing style than the one usually seen for this poster (plus the missus wasn't having any of those brownish frames for this one :)).

And here it is: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/d78DfeHWM6jaTuGWbtzMdQ

detail: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eQbL12qkBMM0pYimymrwfA

the poster in its 'natural habitat' :): http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gn4pnaLrswVD47SnpxmiLQ
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    pajo wrote:
    It's actually our first framed poster. Since it is a very colorful poster and since the environment it was intended for is colorful as well, we went for a slightly different framing style than the one usually seen for this poster (plus the missus wasn't having any of those brownish frames for this one :)).

the poster in its 'natural habitat' :): http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gn4pnaLrswVD47SnpxmiLQ

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! the hawaii posters are the only ones i have EVER lusted after! they got special meaning. Nicely done!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    SENROCK! wrote:
    BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! the hawaii posters are the only ones i have EVER lusted after! they got special meaning. Nicely done!
    Thank you! The creative idea for the framing is by Dirty Frankk (the missus only said she wanted it to match her kitchen :)) and we sent it to his framer's to Dubrovnik, 600km (370 miles) away from Zagreb (which is where we live). My wife then carried it back home on a plane yesterday and they nearly didn't let her on the plane with the poster. But now that it's on the wall in her kitchen we know it was all worth it... :D
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    pajo wrote:
    Thank you! The creative idea for the framing is by Dirty Frankk (the missus only said she wanted it to match her kitchen :)) and we sent it to his framer's to Dubrovnik, 600km (370 miles) away from Zagreb (which is where we live). My wife then carried it back home on a plane yesterday and they nearly didn't let her on the plane with the poster. But now that it's on the wall in her kitchen we know it was all worth it... :D

that is awesome! im curious, why wouldn't they let it on the plane??!! I have a gift for someone similar to that poster and i HOPE they can get it home! :eek:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    SENROCK! wrote:
    that is awesome! im curious, why wouldn't they let it on the plane??!! I have a gift for someone similar to that poster and i HOPE they can get it home! :eek:
    Iva: The problem was the size of the framed poster. Everything was fine at the check-in and the poster just barely managed to get through the x-ray machine (if it hadn't fit then I would have had to go back to the check-in counter where they have bigger x-ray machines). But when I got on the plane and asked the flight attendant if she could store it somewhere in the back of the plane she just told me that if I cannot fit it into the overhead compartment I cannot bring it on the plane! :eek: Luckily it just barely managed to fit in the compartment so I was fine. However, it took up an entire compartment so I had to stand next to it and ask anyone who wanted to put anything in that compartment to put their stuff elsewhere. Luckily everyone was very nice and no one complained.
    So there you have it - all is well that ends well but it might still be a good idea to call the airline company before the flight and ask what their policy is. Good luck!
    pajo wrote:
    Iva: The problem was the size of the framed poster. Everything was fine at the check-in and the poster just barely managed to get through the x-ray machine (if it hadn't fit then I would have had to go back to the check-in counter where they have bigger x-ray machines). But when I got on the plane and asked the flight attendant if she could store it somewhere in the back of the plane she just told me that if I cannot fit it into the overhead compartment I cannot bring it on the plane! :eek: Luckily it just barely managed to fit in the compartment so I was fine. However, it took up an entire compartment so I had to stand next to it and ask anyone who wanted to put anything in that compartment to put their stuff elsewhere. Luckily everyone was very nice and no one complained.
    So there you have it - all is well that ends well but it might still be a good idea to call the airline company before the flight and ask what their policy is. Good luck!

First Pajo - great job framing one of the best PJ posters ever! With respect to your story above (including sending the poster 370 miles away) thank goodness they let you on the plane with your newly framed poster! I can't imagine what I would have done if they would have told me, "sorry, its too big, you need to CHECK IT" (meaning put it underneath...). I probably would get off the plane and drive home...

Anyway - good job!
    (Ok) wrote:
    First Pajo - great job framing one of the best PJ posters ever! With respect to your story above (including sending the poster 370 miles away) thank goodness they let you on the plane with your newly framed poster! I can't imagine what I would have done if they would have told me, "sorry, its too big, you need to CHECK IT" (meaning put it underneath...). I probably would get off the plane and drive home...

Anyway - good job!
    I agree. There's no chance I would let them put in in the baggage area! :eek:

Apart from that, thanks, I'm glad you like it! :)
  • pajo wrote:

Definitely one of the most difficult frames to do, impossible to find the matching colors for this print, but I think we did a great job.

I love it, can wait to get one Hawaii Ames for me too.
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043

that my friend is beautiful
    bazzer wrote:

I dont use it as of yet as my framer told me that its makes very very little difference, fading is impossible to stop unles you keep them in the pitch black
    (Ok) wrote:
    Of course it will come down to personal preference and cost, but after having my '06 Hawaii klausen framed for almost two years now, with no uv glass and mostly in indirect sun, I'm sure glad I didn't spend the extra for it because it hasn't faded a bit...also my framer told me it was a scam, most glass sold as uv doesn't really even protect from most of the suns rays that could damage it (he has worked in art gallaries over the years, so I trust he's knowledgable), so I personally have never paid for it....just my preference I guess.

exactly to the word whaty I was told, and backed up by three journals on the subject he had to show me
    Definitely one of the most difficult frames to do, impossible to find the matching colors for this print, but I think we did a great job.

I love it, can wait to get one Hawaii Ames for me too.

beautiful framing, congrats
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    that my friend is beautiful

thankyou. it was hard work protecting it rolled up under my shirt for the whole show.... but it made it through safe and sound!
  • I laminated my Montreal poster.
    all that I am, all I'll be...
  • gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    Evil Chris wrote:
    I laminated my Montreal poster.

throw some pics up!
    This post is © by gfraser
    pdalowsky wrote:
    I dont use it as of yet as my framer told me that its makes very very little difference, fading is impossible to stop unles you keep them in the pitch black
    Of course you can't stop fading, you can only hope to minimise it and there's no way that it's worse with UV filter. It has to be better. Therefore, if you want to protect your artwork you use it. To say otherwise is ridiculous. Of course I could come up with a few references like your framer did, but I don't need to because it's common sense. So really, the only decision is a value-for-money one. If you're too cheap to pay for UV, that's one thing but if you're happy with the cost either way and you still choose regular glass then that's just silly.
    bazzer wrote:
    Of course you can't stop fading, you can only hope to minimise it and there's no way that it's worse with UV filter. It has to be better. Therefore, if you want to protect your artwork you use it. To say otherwise is ridiculous. Of course I could come up with a few references like your framer did, but I don't need to because it's common sense. So really, the only decision is a value-for-money one. If you're too cheap to pay for UV, that's one thing but if you're happy with the cost either way and you still choose regular glass then that's just silly.

Cool it my friend, was only passing on the opinion of a professional. I have no idea about such things generally.....I was open to assistance when I walked through his door. The UV glass worked out 6 times dearer at his shop, so the difference in price for a minimal benefit was either £30 per frame, or £180 ($50ish and $300ish) a frame with UV, easy decision when none of the prints are in direct sunlight as such.
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Cool it my friend, was only passing on the opinion of a professional. I have no idea about such things generally.....I was open to assistance when I walked through his door. The UV glass worked out 6 times dearer at his shop, so the difference in price for a minimal benefit was either £30 per frame, or £180 ($50ish and $300ish) a frame with UV, easy decision when none of the prints are in direct sunlight as such.
    It's all good. Where I go, the price differential is nothing like that (maybe 20% more expensive) so it's worth it for a little peace of mind I guess.
  • aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    pdalowsky wrote:

I got UV glass on my Newcastle poster, it was only $30 or $40 Australian dollars more than normal glass....
    I love the way UV glass appears not to be there....It just looks like there is no glass on the poster at all..............a nice effect imo

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p104/aus_suz/DSC03680.jpg

Look at the colour difference between these 2 posters that have never seen
    the sun or daylight
    http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p104/aus_suz/DSC04032.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    with regards to the uv glass discussion...

i bought this poster

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/15919

back in 1988....i was going off to college and wanted some posters for my dorm room.....anyway, i got it framed in 1990....didn't have a lot of $$ so i got it framed cheaply....without uv glass....i hung it in every place i've lived since and am noticing now that it is fading....now maybe it would have faded with uv glass but for me the extra cost is worth it if only to keep the colors as vibrant as possible :)
    aus_suz wrote:
    I got UV glass on my Newcastle poster, it was only $30 or $40 Australian dollars more than normal glass....
    I love the way UV glass appears not to be there....It just looks like there is no glass on the poster at all..............a nice effect imo
    Are you sure it's UV glass and not just anti-reflective? It doesn't have to be anti-reflective to be UV filter. It can be one or the other or both. I don't use AR on any of my posters because I feel like it loses a bit of something (duller etc). I like the look of glass, but then none of my posters (maybe one) hang in a place where reflections are a problem.
    bazzer wrote:
    Are you sure it's UV glass and not just anti-reflective? It doesn't have to be anti-reflective to be UV filter. It can be one or the other or both. I don't use AR on any of my posters because I feel like it loses a bit of something (duller etc). I like the look of glass, but then none of my posters (maybe one) hang in a place where reflections are a problem.

Im sure I asked for non reflective uv glass.........u have me wondering now..
    Yeah I get what u mean about the dull effect......When I got the CCFA poster framed the non reflective glass made that look very dull and the reflective glass made it come to life...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p104/aus_suz/Newcastleccfa.jpg

I wanna get my batman framed really soon...
    aus_suz wrote:
    Im sure I asked for non reflective uv glass.........u have me wondering now..
    If you asked for it, I'm sure it's OK. I was just pointing out that not all UV glass in non reflective.
    bazzer wrote:
    If you asked for it, I'm sure it's OK. I was just pointing out that not all UV glass in non reflective.

Oh I didnt know that so I couldve got that for my ccfa poster, but its not in a really sunny spot anyway....
  • ccjackccjack Posts: 134
    my framed posters can be seen here

http://photobucket.com/pjposters

sorry they're all still wrapped up, just picked them up and in the process of moving so don't want to unwrap them yet.

enjoy!
    "Push me and I will resist"