*** Ohana Festival 2 Fanviews Here 9.29.24 ***

13»

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,376
    If you really have to drive, which you all should consider not doing, why not just park at the transfer point of the dana point trolley? And just take that back to the car at night?
    I considered it, but I live 75 miles away and I decided that a 30-hour walk was not a good idea.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    BF25394 said:
    If you really have to drive, which you all should consider not doing, why not just park at the transfer point of the dana point trolley? And just take that back to the car at night?
    I considered it, but I live 75 miles away and I decided that a 30-hour walk was not a good idea.
    😂😂😂
  • MikeDigsMikeDigs Posts: 1,248
    Did anyone get a good listen to the entry music to night 2?  I was trying to hear it but the crowd chatter was too loud.
    Will that be on the bootleg?

I ask because it sounded like the band was having fun chattering backstage.
    And I thought I heard them say something along the lines of...
    "Got hummus.  Who goes to Ohana and wants to hear Hummus :lol:?  We got the hummus get ready"
    Did this happen, or was it my gummies??  If it did happen, then that intro alone would be waaay cooler than them even playing Hummus.

I imagine now that "Got the hummus" is slang for super rare white whale songs "Whale Song" and "Gremmie Out of Control"

Ahhh this show was so so cool.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    MikeDigs said:
    Did anyone get a good listen to the entry music to night 2?  I was trying to hear it but the crowd chatter was too loud.

"Got hummus.  Who goes to Ohana and wants to hear Hummus :lol:?  We got the hummus get ready"
    Did this happen, or was it my gummies??  If it did happen, then that intro alone would be waaay cooler than them even playing Hummus.

I imagine now that "Got the hummus" is slang for super rare white whale songs "Whale Song" and "Gremmie Out of Control"

I didn't hear any of that but maybe I missed it...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    just saw the video of Gremmie and it was AWESOME!!!!  I so needed to see that right now, thank you PJ.  
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,376
    MikeDigs said:

Mike, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the song colloquially known as "Hummus" has officially filed for a restraining order against you...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • MikeDigsMikeDigs Posts: 1,248
    BF25394 said:
    MikeDigs said:

Mike, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the song colloquially known as "Hummus" has officially filed for a restraining order against you...
    :lol:  I like to start my Yield spins on Hummus.  Such a great intro to Brain of J, not that this great song needs an intro.

But honestly I consider Whale Song + Gremmie Out of Control the hummus of all hummuses.  Incredible.

Also would like to verify if that was the band having fun chatting when the entry song was playing.  I would like to listen to their banter, but the crowd was too noisy.  It sounded like they were having fun.
  • enddemenddem Posts: 76
    Just want to chime in and say most everyone I encountered on Sunday (I was down near the stage) was fucking awesome. Except of course for the jackasses trying to plow their way in front of people who had been holding down for 7-8 hours. You guys sucked. Everyone else--people making water and trash runs for one another, sharing sunblock and earplugs, etc.--you were all great. Thank you all for adding to the experience. Separately, I knocked my own hat off in my exuberance to flip Ed the bird during Given To Fly and it ended up hitting the guy behind me. If you're here, sorry! Not much to add, set was great, band looked loose, Idles were amazing, Alanis exceeded my immediately low expectations, Kim Gordon remains the man, and Peter Cat Recording Co. and Bad Nerves were both an unexpected delight.
    enddem said:
    Just want to chime in and say most everyone I encountered on Sunday (I was down near the stage) was fucking awesome. Except of course for the jackasses trying to plow their way in front of people who had been holding down for 7-8 hours. You guys sucked. Everyone else--people making water and trash runs for one another, sharing sunblock and earplugs, etc.--you were all great. Thank you all for adding to the experience. Separately, I knocked my own hat off in my exuberance to flip Ed the bird during Given To Fly and it ended up hitting the guy behind me. If you're here, sorry! Not much to add, set was great, band looked loose, Idles were amazing, Alanis exceeded my immediately low expectations, Kim Gordon remains the man, and Peter Cat Recording Co. and Bad Nerves were both an unexpected delight.
    Peter Cat was interesting...loved how the guy kept dragging on that cig

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,034
    Peter Cat was a real surprise for me, will be checking out their back catalogue for sure. Also having known little about Devo they were awesome! Goldie Boutilier deserved to be playing to more than the hundred or so chilling on the grass with the dragonflies, she’s great! 
    Nature drunk and High
    Spags said:
    Peter Cat was a real surprise for me, will be checking out their back catalogue for sure. Also having known little about Devo they were awesome! Goldie Boutilier deserved to be playing to more than the hundred or so chilling on the grass with the dragonflies, she’s great! 
    Devo was also interesting. Very loud as well.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,159
    Any reviews on Sting when he played?
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,034
    We skipped Sting and went for dinner at the Craft House instead.
    Nature drunk and High
    Loujoe said:
    Any reviews on Sting when he played?
    Sounded good but we left after Every Little Thing...it was getting cold and his tempo is a bit slow for me

• tschavtschav Posts: 2,847
    Show was excellent and absolutely loved how Ohana came with the perks of being a white whale destination. Was much closer for night 1 but still enjoyed the few from further back and the lineup Sunday in general was pretty amazing for as little as I knew of acts before the Breeders.

After Ohana 2021 I wasn't sure if I'd come back (cost is prohibitive if traveling), but this year had all the same feelings of PJ20 and planning to make it back regardless if PJ plays or not.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,847
    Only wish I have is that Ohana bakes in an extra 30 minutes for headlining sets for any of the following:
    1. Give Ed time to enjoy his fest, give him room to talk a little, he earns it after 3 days of popping up everywhere
    2. Pad time for the eventual performance pauses for a medic moment (or two, or three)
    3. Not sacrifice the # of songs they can play to stay within curfew, Setting Sun is a great closer or could've been inserted before RITFW
    tschav said:
    Only wish I have is that Ohana bakes in an extra 30 minutes for headlining sets for any of the following:
    1. Give Ed time to enjoy his fest, give him room to talk a little, he earns it after 3 days of popping up everywhere
    2. Pad time for the eventual performance pauses for a medic moment (or two, or three)
    3. Not sacrifice the # of songs they can play to stay within curfew, Setting Sun is a great closer or could've been inserted before RITFW
    yeah PJ should at least have 2.5 hours available...whether they use it or not. That last night of 8p-10p with Ed talking for 10 minutes and starting the encore with two really SLOW songs was disappointing due to the time limits. 

It seemed odd to have back to back performers on the Ohana stage too. I assume they do that so that people can get their spots for PJ but it also takes away from performance time.

tschav said:
    Yup, loved every moment I was there, but it was incredibly jarring to go from Gremmie (and the joy that came from watching Stone do his thing) to those (in a live setting) bittersweet opening chords of Alive.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,841
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • tschav said:
    yeah PJ should at least have 2.5 hours available...whether they use it or not. That last night of 8p-10p with Ed talking for 10 minutes and starting the encore with two really SLOW songs was disappointing due to the time limits. 

It seemed odd to have back to back performers on the Ohana stage too. I assume they do that so that people can get their spots for PJ but it also takes away from performance time.
    Not sure if you have been to Ohana before, but that's how they always have done it with the leadin to the headliners. It's pretty much always a name act, bigger stage, some crowd just there for those acts, and so on. It isn't a huge deal.

I know there is this assumption that Pearl Jam should get more time because it's Eddie's festival, but it is still a festival. Maybe it's how he wants it to focus on the other acts and keep the festival feel?

I wish he wouldn't have talked so long there but it is part of the show in all honesty. For better or worse, you're going to get Eddie talking. They scratched one song and had a question mark about possibly adding one at the end. So there wasn't a lot left out. We did get YLB added on Friday.

If you look at PJ's other sets at Ohana they've all been similar lengths -- 19, 21, 24, 21, 20, and the 24 included Wasted Reprise, Smile and Lukin. 

I had a bit of an argument with a dude on FB beforehand to still expect a festival set and hope for the best. We got far from festival sets -- by no means a greatest hits and only three repeats with two crazy rarities -- but at festival lengths.

Eddie could do whatever the heck he wanted to with this thing. I think keeping it traditional is great. I love the other acts and atmosphere. And Pear Jam put on two pretty great shows. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,957
    tschav said:

Not sure if you have been to Ohana before, but that's how they always have done it with the leadin to the headliners. It's pretty much always a name act, bigger stage, some crowd just there for those acts, and so on. It isn't a huge deal.

I know there is this assumption that Pearl Jam should get more time because it's Eddie's festival, but it is still a festival. Maybe it's how he wants it to focus on the other acts and keep the festival feel?

I wish he wouldn't have talked so long there but it is part of the show in all honesty. For better or worse, you're going to get Eddie talking. They scratched one song and had a question mark about possibly adding one at the end. So there wasn't a lot left out. We did get YLB added on Friday.

If you look at PJ's other sets at Ohana they've all been similar lengths -- 19, 21, 24, 21, 20, and the 24 included Wasted Reprise, Smile and Lukin. 

I had a bit of an argument with a dude on FB beforehand to still expect a festival set and hope for the best. We got far from festival sets -- by no means a greatest hits and only three repeats with two crazy rarities -- but at festival lengths.

Eddie could do whatever the heck he wanted to with this thing. I think keeping it traditional is great. I love the other acts and atmosphere. And Pear Jam put on two pretty great shows. 

Spot on. It is a fun weekend at the beach with great live music. Crowded House, Alanis, and Sting on the beach! Pearl Jam headlining two nights is just a bonus. The over analyzing just takes away from the enjoyment IMHO. I am bored of Glen though. Time to mix it up for the next round of shows.
    tschav said:

I have...I've seen PJ there every time they have performed.

I try not to complain but part of my complaint is that earlier Ed even said he wasn't going to talk much because they didn't have much time.

I get it and I totally align with Ed's politics....but I wanted to hear Grievance/Insignificance instead of a political point that I already agreed with.

:) 

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,957
    Ed's rant should be on the set list  ;)
    Get_Right said:
    Ed's rant should be on the set list  ;)
    And Get Right....

I have...I've seen PJ there every time they have performed.

I try not to complain but part of my complaint is that earlier Ed even said he wasn't going to talk much because they didn't have much time.

I get it and I totally align with Ed's politics....but I wanted to hear Grievance/Insignificance instead of a political point that I already agreed with.

:) 
    That's my beef: there's going to be an awful lot of preaching to the choir at a PJ show. Say a word or two to express solidarity with marginalized groups (immigrants, women, minorities, etc.)? Absolutely. Another word or two on the environment (why we're there in the first place)? Go for it. A 5-6 minute monologue on Trump's grift of the week (that devolves into a bad Oprah joke)? I would have preferred Unthought Known and/or Ledbetter. That being said, it's of course their show and his festival and I'm plenty happy with the experience I had.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    enddem said:
    Peter Cat was interesting...loved how the guy kept dragging on that cig
    Playing here in Stockholm I saw late october. Kind of want to go and see them again... haha
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • TB180644TB180644 Posts: 22
    My bucket list show, most fun I've ever had at a concert - Breeders, Idols, Alanis and PJ, WOW. See you in Melbourne.
  • littleiilittleii Posts: 78
    The only thing I would change would be the tambourine that came crashing like a fist to the back of my head.....it's all good....it's MY blood... I got to meet some nice young people in the medical tent, and Dr. Kim at Mission Viejo Laguna sutured me up fine....9 in total....so fitting....
    if nothing is everything......