*** Ohana Festival 2 Fanviews Here 9.29.24 ***

2»

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,305
    Go Animal said:
    The vibe was immaculate, overall. The only changes I would make in retrospect:

- Oceans as opener into Garden
    - scratch Wreckage & play Got to Give
    - Untitled into MFC
    - Upper Hand after Won't Tell
    - Tr*mp can go to hell, but that whole rant could've been 30 seconds. Valuable song time!
    - didn't need to single out STBC/Animal nerd with the sign. More valuable song time.
    - Smile after Gremmie
    - scratch RITFW, and do Ledbetter or Fuckin' Up

A tight 24 in 2 hrs. But whatevs. WE got Gremmie🤙🏄‍♀️🌊

Agree 
    Agree x 2

Was irritated by the attention seeking kid with drumming sign. He sucked too much time out of 2 shows. 
    Alanis was force to be reckoned with!
    And what can I say about Stone and Gremmie...

Ed rant, which I agree with 100%, was much too long this time.. cost us a song for sure. 
    Wonder if this was the same dude from Philly 2.  Was a few rows in front of us and held that sign up wayyyyyyy too much.  I was screaming at him to put it down but he didn't much care.  
    Playing drums on Animal topped anyone standing behind him who would not be able to see the stage for big patches of time.

And Ed called him out for doing it Friday and he didn't care. Ohana had "no sign" policy but the attention whores always get theirs through. Same with tambo begging...
    It’s all so pathetic 
  • I never really mind Eddie talking because I think it adds to a sho, for better or worse. I didn't think it took too much away last night but I did keep looking at my watch thinking, we could be playing more songs! But even my non-PJ fan wife said she liked the second night better.

That said, they only really scratched one song with the option for another and only played one less than N1. I didn't need YLB again and Setting Sun may be my least favorite on Dark Matter. Obviously my own tastes, so ending it with the festival party of RITFW is ok by me.

I liked the encore. And getting Gremmie, as odd ball as it is, is just cool. Especially since it will likely not happen again and Stone was awesome.

I also got a first time in Big Wave, that Black was spectacular and maybe the best I've seen (I said it to my wife right away) and it was my first time with no Even Flow so I have zero 100 percent songs now in 24 shows. I've hoped it would happen but never really thought it would and it kind of made my night!

My biggest complaint is probably no Oceans, especially if they were going to open with Garden. it's funny I was at OKC when they opened with Garden for the first time in like 30 years and now I've had Garden as my opener three times.

Overall the day was great. Third Ohana and it just hasn't disappointed yet. So it goes a bit beyond PJ anyway. Alanis was pretty fantastic and I loved the Breeders. They were so fun and even sweet.

Just a great event as always and I'm sad to leave and despite some valid complaints here, it was still a pretty great PJ show and hey, we got to see them play live another time.
  • Thought they were gonna play ”I’m the Ocean” there for a moment before playing Gremmie. With the ”theme” and all. 

Hehe. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,020
    edited September 30

Overall the day was great. Third Ohana and it just hasn't disappointed yet. So it goes a bit beyond Pear Jam anyway.
    My first time seeing them in the US and obviously came just for them, but it’s completely true that the event was so much more than Pearl Jam. Had such a fun time, a really unique experience.

Post edited by Spags on
    Nature drunk and High
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 755
    Really fun show and festival overall. Alanis was fantastic, and Idles / The Breeders were great fun too. Kim Gordon was very bass heavy. Many other fun performances throughout Sunday and the other two days as well.

Loved hearing Off He Goes, MFC and I Got ID. Black was really strong as well. When Ed started talking about the sand people I thought for sure we were getting Marker In The Sand. Gremmie was a fun treat. My wife and I were speculating walking in that it may be on the list, so that was fun.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,434
    Major props to Alanis also, what a force of nature. Her voice is absolutely full throttle all these years later, and she owns the stage.  Also one of her guitarists looked like 1980’s era David Crosby, and the other guitarist was a dead ringer for Ed Helms.  Really interesting. 
    She was really impressive 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,434
    ST66483 said:
    Really fun show and festival overall. Alanis was fantastic, and Idles / The Breeders were great fun too. Kim Gordon was very bass heavy. Many other fun performances throughout Sunday and the other two days as well.

Loved hearing Off He Goes, MFC and I Got ID. Black was really strong as well. When Ed started talking about the sand people I thought for sure we were getting Marker In The Sand. Gremmie was a fun treat. My wife and I were speculating walking in that it may be on the list, so that was fun.
    Yeah really liked Idles... They killed it 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 513
    BTW, last night Ed played an acoustic guitar on Off He Goes. That is the first time I've ever seen him play acoustic on a song with the band. Can anyone remember another? 

Also, he still had his tele on during Black, probably because he had it from I Got Shit. He played it towards the end, giving a slight additional layer of sound.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,756
    Bummed I didn't stick around for Sunday after seeing the setlist.  Big Wave is all I'm missing from Avocado.  Gremmie looked cool but if I had to pick I'm happier to have seen Whale Song.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Go Animal said:

- Untitled into MFC
    - Tr*mp can go to hell, but that whole rant could've been 30 seconds. Valuable song time!
    - didn't need to single out STBC/Animal nerd with the sign. More valuable song time.
    - Smile after Gremmie

Agree 
    Agree x 2

Was irritated by the attention seeking kid with drumming sign. He sucked too much time out of 2 shows. 

Ed rant, which I agree with 100%, was much too long this time.. cost us a song for sure. 
    Wonder if this was the same dude from Philly 2.  Was a few rows in front of us and held that sign up wayyyyyyy too much.  I was screaming at him to put it down but he didn't much care.  
    Playing drums on Animal topped anyone standing behind him who would not be able to see the stage for big patches of time.

And Ed called him out for doing it Friday and he didn't care. Ohana had "no sign" policy but the attention whores always get theirs through. Same with tambo begging...
    The tambo begging has gotten so out of hand. Eddie seems to love it rewarding them every time at my shows. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    edited September 30
    Playing those two rarities was probably Ed's way of rewarding the diehards that travelled a long way to see them. I personally have had enough of Glen.
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,469
    Go Animal said:

- Untitled into MFC
    - Smile after Gremmie

Agree 
    Agree x 2

Same one..he was in row in front of me in Philly driving everyone nuts
  • deb1211 said:
    Go Animal said:

- Untitled into MFC
    - Smile after Gremmie

Agree 
    Agree x 2

I just don't get people doing that.  
    Inbetween songs or running up at set break or something?
    I guess ok then?  
    Hold in front of you, though, not over your head
    ...so you can see but nobody behind you can.  
    :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 574
    8th show this tour, 33rd overall and I think this Ohana weekend topped MSG/LA/LV for me. The band didn’t go through the motions and phone it in just because it was a festival, this had more of a PJ20/unique experience feel. Plus it doesn’t hurt to be seeing them play on the beach with beautiful weather. 

After mixing it up night 1, they did it again with Garden, Off He Goes (acoustic), Last Exit, MFC, I Got Id, Big Wave and then Gremmie! Seeing Stone yell Cowabunga and dance could’ve been my favorite PJ moment ever.

I do agree with everyone that Ed spoke way too long post Better Man and kinda sucked the life out of RVM. I know it was a nice gesture to bring Harper on stage but wasn’t the biggest fan of that in the encore. Also no one loves Glen more than me but Song of Good Hope is also a downer. So a lengthy speech then 2 covers to start the encore kinda dampened what could’ve a perfect night - but it was still an excellent night.
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    deb1211 said:
    Go Animal said:

- Untitled into MFC
    - Smile after Gremmie

Agree 
    Agree x 2

And why do these jokers think they deserve a chance to play with a professional band?  Guys don’t ask to pitch an inning at a baseball game or play wide receiver for a play.  Just stop already.  

• pjhawks said:
    deb1211 said:
    Go Animal said:

- Untitled into MFC
    - Smile after Gremmie

Agree 
    Agree x 2

And why do these jokers think they deserve a chance to play with a professional band?  Guys don’t ask to pitch an inning at a baseball game or play wide receiver for a play.  Just stop already.  

Because it’s happened several times already so now people think if they are persistent they’ll get up there like this guy. Surprised someone didn’t rip it down one of the nights but I wasn’t watching to see how often he was holding it up. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,162
    edited September 30
    deb1211 said:
    Go Animal said:

- Untitled into MFC
    - Smile after Gremmie

Agree 
    Agree x 2

Can't an usher do something about that? If someone is holding up a sign long enough where multiple people are complaining doesn't that qualify for a warning?
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,159
    pjl44 said:
    deb1211 said:
    Go Animal said:

- Untitled into MFC
    - Smile after Gremmie

Agree 
    Agree x 2

Can't an usher do something about that? If someone is holding up a sign long enough where multiple people are complaining doesn't that qualify for a warning?
    Agreed. If someone tall is in front of you, nothing you can do there, I’d be happy to move and get a better spot, a sign!? Needs to be taken down! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,638
    pjhawks said:
    deb1211 said:
    Go Animal said:

- Untitled into MFC
    - Smile after Gremmie

Agree 
    Agree x 2

Well now we all know what he looks like so.....

Don't even try it again kid
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,106
    edited September 30
    pjhawks said:
    deb1211 said:
    Go Animal said:

- Untitled into MFC
    - Smile after Gremmie

Agree 
    Agree x 2

Because it’s happened several times already so now people think if they are persistent they’ll get up there like this guy. Surprised someone didn’t rip it down one of the nights but I wasn’t watching to see how often he was holding it up. 
    And it’s become a thing and is done to other bands and people get on youtubeeeee etc. 

I think Gene Simmons brought up people for three songs at his show this summer. The only fun one was the last kid who clearly only knew a bit of drumming and went rouge and crashed the song. Fun as in hopefully it was a lesson to Gene. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 616
    My 7yo daughter and I did the first two nights inside, mostly hanging in the back sand so she could play and dance. When buying tickets way back whenever, I didn't check to see when her fall break was so wasn't planning on Sunday. Turns out it's this week, so we can tacked on another day... Only, no more tickets by the time I knew :/

So, we parked in town, hoofed it in and set up a big blanket outside on the beach. If coming with the family, I'd 100% do that again at least one day of the festival. Loved the sand people shout outs! 

My kid got to spend even more time at the beach, we could hear just fine, there's food and drinks available at the Doho Cafe, and the bathroom lines were non-existent. You can bring your own food and drinks, there's no security, and because of that, there's lots of cool, chill people behind the fencing. 

If I could change anything about last night, it'd be to have gotten there esrlier for better parking, or I'd have planned it better and gotten shuttle passes. So glad we stayed the extra day! 

• How many were you out there at PJs gig?
  • njhaley1njhaley1 Posts: 616
    How many were you out there at PJs gig?
    I'd say there were a few hundred of us. A lot were locals and many had biked in. Didn't feel terribly crowded.

Probably 20 or so boats out watching in the harbor, too. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,948
    deb1211 said:
    Go Animal said:

- Untitled into MFC
    - Smile after Gremmie

Agree 
    Agree x 2

I just don't get people doing that.  
    Inbetween songs or running up at set break or something?
    I guess ok then?  
    Hold in front of you, though, not over your head
    ...so you can see but nobody behind you can.  
    :lol:

Same with the phones. 
  • MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 1,094
    edited 5:23AM
    njhaley1 said:
    How many were you out there at PJs gig?
    I'd say there were a few hundred of us. A lot were locals and many had biked in. Didn't feel terribly crowded.

Probably 20 or so boats out watching in the harbor, too. 
    That's so cool.  Gotta let Ed know to shout the Boat People out too.

This was my first Ohana Festival and my mind is blown.  One of the best concerts in my entire life (I'm 42).  The band sounds better than ever.  The sound was perfect.  Props to the sound engineers, and wtf are those speakers?!?!  Are they new?  The speakers were amazing.  Every song performed at Ohana sounded better than the 2 LA shows.  And of course the spectacular venue on the beach.  What an incredible show.

When Ed announced the rare song, I thought for a second that they were actually going to play Hummus!  But I'll take Gremmie and Whale song any day over Hummus!

I discovered the Tree People on the first night, and loved it so much that I made it my base.  Not too crowded and nicely elevated.

Post edited by MikeDigs at