Tips needed for best way to get from Dublin to Marlay Park

Comments

• Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 663
    edited June 17
    CL159019 said:
    Can you walk from Temple Bar to the venue if you wanted?  Taking a bus that takes hours is definitely not in the cards for us.  
    It's a bit far to walk. The 14 bus will drop you a ten min walk from the park. The bus should hopefully not take too long in the afternoon. Going back, you would be best to walk to the Luas (tram) at the Balally stop and go to town from there.
    seanclax said:
    If there are people travelling to the Dublin show who want to be taken to the venue, I can meet you in the city and be the shepherd! 
    Are you not going to the show
    Yeah, but I live right beside the venue, so if anyone needs guidance, I can show them where to go.
  • CL159019CL159019 Posts: 8
    CL159019 said:
    Can you walk from Temple Bar to the venue if you wanted?  Taking a bus that takes hours is definitely not in the cards for us.  
    It's a bit far to walk. The 14 bus will drop you a ten min walk from the park. The bus should hopefully not take too long in the afternoon. Going back, you would be best to walk to the Luas (tram) at the Balally stop and go to town from there.
    Thanks Luas Tram seems like best and fastest option, why is everyone talking about 2-3 hours on a bus.  I feel like I am missing something :)
  • GW2553GW2553 Posts: 80
    They should have picked a more inconvenient place.

CL159019 said:
    CL159019 said:
    Thanks Luas Tram seems like best and fastest option, why is everyone talking about 2-3 hours on a bus.  I feel like I am missing something :)
    After the show the traffic in the area can be crazy and there are hours long waits for buses
    Does the Luas Tram not return to town post concert?  
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Posts: 2,804
    CL159019 said:
    Yes
    Kearnsy
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,924
    After reading this thread, I will not complain about the traffic leaving Manhattan after a show at MSG ever again.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

CL159019 said:
    Yeah, it’s about a 30 min walk and runs up until 12.30
    on2legs said:
    After reading this thread, I will not complain about the traffic leaving Manhattan after a show at MSG ever again.  
    If my bus is still sitting in the parking area 3hrs after the show, I will have to make a complaint in the official complaints thread. Don't want to go down that route.
    Kearnsy
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,924
    Kearn5y said:
    on2legs said:
    If my bus is still sitting in the parking area 3hrs after the show, I will have to make a complaint in the official complaints thread. Don't want to go down that route.
    😂
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• RickLeeRickLee Posts: 5
    Hi, 

Marlay Park area will be incredibly busy on the day of the show. You will have a slim chance of getting a taxi afterwards- hours wait. 

You have a few options getting there- 14 bus is best. Get off at SuperValu Ballinteer and it’s a ten min walk. It won’t be too busy before the show if you get there early afternoon- 3/4.  16 bus will be a lot slower as it goes directly by the park. You can also get the Luas (tram) to the Dundrum stop and it’s a 30 min walk from there. 

The best option after the show is to walk to the  Luas Dundrum stop and take this to the city centre- 20 mins. Last tram is 12.30. It will be busy but you’ll make it.

I live beside the venue. I can meet up and show you the way, if you want? 
    Thank you all who have provided some tips! I'm glad I asked. Since we're staying near Trinity College and have never been to Marlay Park before, it seems like the best thing to do is to get on the Green Line Luas at Trinity, get off at Dundrum, and then walk the 30 minutes or so to the concert (I hope it is clear which way to go from there). Afterwards, just retrace our steps. I appreciate knowing that the 14 bus will get us there a lot faster but since I am unfamiliar with the area I'm more comfortable going and returning using the same method. 

We're going to the Manchester and London shows too, so I am very glad that those venues aren't going to be a hassle like this one seems like it will be.
    RickLee said:
    Hi, 

Marlay Park area will be incredibly busy on the day of the show. You will have a slim chance of getting a taxi afterwards- hours wait. 

You have a few options getting there- 14 bus is best. Get off at SuperValu Ballinteer and it’s a ten min walk. It won’t be too busy before the show if you get there early afternoon- 3/4.  16 bus will be a lot slower as it goes directly by the park. You can also get the Luas (tram) to the Dundrum stop and it’s a 30 min walk from there. 

The best option after the show is to walk to the  Luas Dundrum stop and take this to the city centre- 20 mins. Last tram is 12.30. It will be busy but you’ll make it.

Thank you all who have provided some tips! I'm glad I asked. Since we're staying near Trinity College and have never been to Marlay Park before, it seems like the best thing to do is to get on the Green Line Luas at Trinity, get off at Dundrum, and then walk the 30 minutes or so to the concert (I hope it is clear which way to go from there). Afterwards, just retrace our steps. I appreciate knowing that the 14 bus will get us there a lot faster but since I am unfamiliar with the area I'm more comfortable going and returning using the same method. 

We're going to the Manchester and London shows too, so I am very glad that those venues aren't going to be a hassle like this one seems like it will be.
    I think I’m meeting someone at the Luas Dundrum stop in the afternoon and walking to the venue, if you want to tag along. 
  • ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,269
    RickLee said:
    Hi, 

When you arrive in Dublin, it might be worth you getting a Leap card (it's a reloadable card that you can use for all public transport - you can top up via an app from your phone), it covers local buses and the Luas and gives you a discount on fares. The WHSmith outlets in arrivals at the airport will sell you these, and enable you to put money on them. If you're travelling on a budget, the 16 Bus runs from the airport and stops directly outside of Trinity. 

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/tfi-leap-card-types

Also, download the Citymapper app onto your phone, it works for Dublin and will give you all public transport links/routes. 

The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
    I saw others that only bought 1 ticket saying that 2 are appearing in their Ticketmaster app. This happened to me for Marlay. Is it another ticket or an early entry thing?  Thanks
  • TheGManTheGMan Posts: 62
    edited June 18
    I saw others that only bought 1 ticket saying that 2 are appearing in their Ticketmaster app. This happened to me for Marlay. Is it another ticket or an early entry thing?  Thanks
    I transferred my brother's ticket to him and he said he was seeing double but when he looked closer it was a duplicate rather than two tickets so maybe just a bug?

2010: Dublin
    2024: Dublin

2017: Cork (EV)
    TheGMan said:
    I transferred my brother's ticket to him and he said he was seeing double but when he looked closer it was a duplicate rather than two tickets so maybe just a bug?
    Yeah, probably, thanks
  • Lads, I brought my kids to RHCP and we drove up, parked left after the show was over and the whole thing was extremely smooth. Of course it's going to take a while but it worked well for me. Last time I took a bus was after Metallica 16 years ago so I've no reference for that. 

Although having said that, I live 5km away and I'm going to walk to the show cause transport is a pain in the hole. 
    Luas Tram is it, follow the crowds to the park and back to the tram. Now just need to figure out this Ticketmaster thing.
    One final question, mainly for people from the US who are traveling to Ireland and the UK for those shows: Were you able to download your tickets? So far I have been unable to do so. There is no download to wallet link on the Ticketmaster Ireland site (like there always is in the US), but I can view the tickets. Of course, they don’t show up at all in my US account. Just worried about internet access at Marlay Park. Awaiting a response from Ticketmaster customer service. If anyone has a tip in the meantime I’d appreciate hearing it. 
    RickLee said:
    One final question, mainly for people from the US who are traveling to Ireland and the UK for those shows: Were you able to download your tickets? So far I have been unable to do so. There is no download to wallet link on the Ticketmaster Ireland site (like there always is in the US), but I can view the tickets. Of course, they don’t show up at all in my US account. Just worried about internet access at Marlay Park. Awaiting a response from Ticketmaster customer service. If anyone has a tip in the meantime I’d appreciate hearing it. 
    Open the ticket before you get the venue and leave it open with out refreshing the screen. Should be ok. Once open, I don't think you need net access. 
    Kearnsy
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Kearn5y said:
    RickLee said:
    Open the ticket before you get the venue and leave it open with out refreshing the screen. Should be ok. Once open, I don't think you need net access. 
    Thanks for the tip. I am not in Dublin but will be in London and Berlin. I did spring for a high speed data international pass with my phone provider so I was hoping that would give me better internet connection. 
    Looks like my best bet is to have my tickets displayed before heading to the show and hope that there’s network access available to access them once there. Here’s Ticketmaster’s response to my not being able to save tickets to my Apple Wallet like I do in the US:

“I understand you want to save your tickets in your wallet but was not given you an option. 

Please be informed that Apple Wallet is no longer supported by some of the events, therefore, if you see that the Apple Wallet is not available or your ticket can't be added to your Apple Wallet unfortunately, you will be unable to add your ticket to your Apple Wallet. 

You don't have to worry, if you are still not able to access your ticket on your phone we advise is to go directly to the Resolution Desk at the venue and they will assist you in accessing your ticket and entering the venue.”
  • tim131tim131 Austin Posts: 44
    Driving up from Bray, was planning on parking at the nutgrove shopping centre, will there still be parking there at 6ish? Or should we park in dundrum? Thanks!
    tim131 said:
    Driving up from Bray, was planning on parking at the nutgrove shopping centre, will there still be parking there at 6ish? Or should we park in dundrum? Thanks!
    Be careful. Last year there was a lot of clamping going on. 
  • tim131tim131 Austin Posts: 44
    tim131 said:
    Be careful. Last year there was a lot of clamping going on. 
    Ah feck, what do you reckon our best bet is?
  • Plenty of room in the red car park at Dundrum and it’s open 24/7. I’m in there now.
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London O2 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London O2 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, Hyde Park 8/7/22, Hyde Park 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • SS176991SS176991 Posts: 1
    Seems a few of us are at the Plaza Hotel- Tallaght. It’s a 2 hour walk back. Not sure what the taxi situation will be.  Has anyone made a knowledgeable call if walking will be quicker than waiting to hire a ride?  Any groups walking back?
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,036
    Headed to the Dundrum car park shortly - will also be hoping for groups walking back there after the show - safety in numbers! 

Can’t wait to see all you crazy bastards at Marlay Park!!! 
  • MD77248MD77248 Posts: 1
    I'm leaving from downtown Dublin around 430 to head to the park.  It seems like I'm in for some pain.  I was also planning to walk back to the Tram after the show.  Anyone else in the golden circle?