Tips needed for best way to get from Dublin to Marlay Park

13»

Comments

• sheckyshecky Posts: 1,774

Tips needed for best way to get from Dublin to Marlay Park.

"Practice, practice, practice."
  • chukdotcomchukdotcom Posts: 709
    I booked a parking pass and bus from Dundrum City Center. 

https://marathongroup.ie/ 
    Bus thing from Dundrum is a fleece and it will literally take you hours to get back after the show.  There are public services for €1.50
    I heard it's maybe a half hour walk back to the car park if the bus is a shit show; was that bad info? 
    Where is the car park? It might be a half hour walk back but you’ll be stuck in your car for 3/5 hours when you get to it, I can’t stress this enough/ use public transport for the Dublin show/ don’t drive. If you plan driving on the M50, forget it! 
    I can park in the green or red car park at Dundrum Town Center. 

Google tells me it's a 40 minute walk from Marlay Park.
    Yeah, that’s all true but where do you plan on driving to when you get your car? If you are using the M50 northbound, particularly, it will take you hours. The bus to Dundrum will literally take you hours unless you leave the show at about 9pm. 

Walk to the Luas - get the Luas to town- from town, go where you are going,

The area is mayhem after a show- trust me, I live right beside Marlay Park. 

We're staying in Wicklow. 
    PM me - can’t figure that out on my phone! 
    I appreciate it, but I’m pretty comfortable w/ my plan. I originally wanted to get a parking pass for the park itself, but heard they shut down the roads around it after you’re in, so we opted for the Dundrum / marathon coach option. & it’s less than a half hour from where we’re staying. & if we have to walk back to Dundrum after the show, so be it. Hopefully there are other groups of people making the same walk. 

Cool, enjoy the traffic/ was going to offer you a parking pass for my estate. Seriously- do not get that bus!!! What part of do not get that bus do you not understand? It will take you hours- literally hours!!! I have lived beside the park all my life-trust me. Walk to Dundrum (if your car is there). Did you not see the bit about giving yourself an extra 3 hours travel time!!

The Google map you included is for a normal day, not a concert day- that’s an additional 3/6 hours of time, seriously!! I laugh at your silly Google Map!

https://www.thejournal.ie/arcade-fire-pixies-marlay-park-transport-1545672-Jun2014/

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2023/05/31/significant-traffic-delays-around-marlay-park-on-concert-days-inevitable-say-organisers/
    Stayed till the end of the show. Took the marathon bus to city. Zero traffic. Took about 30 min. 
  • tim131tim131 Austin Posts: 44
    Ended up parking at the Nutgrove shopping centre, zero hassle and was very easy driving home, zero traffic! Worked out well. What a concert! 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,036
    edited June 23

Bus thing from Dundrum is a fleece and it will literally take you hours to get back after the show.  There are public services for €1.50
    I heard it's maybe a half hour walk back to the car park if the bus is a shit show; was that bad info? 
    Where is the car park? It might be a half hour walk back but you’ll be stuck in your car for 3/5 hours when you get to it, I can’t stress this enough/ use public transport for the Dublin show/ don’t drive. If you plan driving on the M50, forget it! 

Yeah, that’s all true but where do you plan on driving to when you get your car? If you are using the M50 northbound, particularly, it will take you hours. The bus to Dundrum will literally take you hours unless you leave the show at about 9pm. 

I appreciate it, but I’m pretty comfortable w/ my plan. I originally wanted to get a parking pass for the park itself, but heard they shut down the roads around it after you’re in, so we opted for the Dundrum / marathon coach option. & it’s less than a half hour from where we’re staying. & if we have to walk back to Dundrum after the show, so be it. Hopefully there are other groups of people making the same walk. 

Cool, enjoy the traffic/ was going to offer you a parking pass for my estate. Seriously- do not get that bus!!! What part of do not get that bus do you not understand? It will take you hours- literally hours!!! I have lived beside the park all my life-trust me. Walk to Dundrum (if your car is there). Did you not see the bit about giving yourself an extra 3 hours travel time!!

The Google map you included is for a normal day, not a concert day- that’s an additional 3/6 hours of time, seriously!! I laugh at your silly Google Map!

https://www.thejournal.ie/arcade-fire-pixies-marlay-park-transport-1545672-Jun2014/

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2023/05/31/significant-traffic-delays-around-marlay-park-on-concert-days-inevitable-say-organisers/
    Walked out during Setting Sun, took the shuttle back to Dundrum & was back in Wicklow w/ a pint in front of me by 11:35.

google maps FTW .

I’ll join you in walking back to Dundrum! I’m heading north after the show so hopefully not hitting the traffic!
    Great meeting you, D. Hope to see you in Manchester as well. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    I think it took us an hour to walk far enough and catch a cab back to Temple bar area.  For those scared off on the venue they missed out.  Loved the show even if they only played amazing songs.
    edited June 23
    I think it took us an hour to walk far enough and catch a cab back to Temple bar area.  For those scared off on the venue they missed out.  Loved the show even if they only played amazing songs.
    The crowd’s energy was amazing, and was probably the highlight for me. 
    The DM material sounded great live… React Respond does little for me in general, but I really enjoyed it last night. 
  • I booked a parking pass and bus from Dundrum City Center. 

I’ll join you in walking back to Dundrum! I’m heading north after the show so hopefully not hitting the traffic!
    Still can’t believe I almost got back quicker than the bus!

Great to meet you too and I’ll be in touch when I arrive on Tuesday.
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London O2 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London O2 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, Hyde Park 8/7/22, Hyde Park 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
    edited June 23

Still can’t believe I almost got back quicker than the bus!

Great to meet you too and I’ll be in touch when I arrive on Tuesday.
    Mrs Merkin Baller remarked it’s a good thing we didn’t walk w/ you, we would have only slowed you down. 🤣
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on