Tips needed for best way to get from Dublin to Marlay Park

RickLeeRickLee Posts: 5
Hi!

We're visiting Dublin for the show on 6/22 and would appreciate tips from anyone familiar with Dublin on the best way to get to/from the show. The info we received has several options, but I'm not sure which option is the most efficient. We're staying in the heart of Dublin. 

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 663
    Hi, 

Marlay Park area will be incredibly busy on the day of the show. You will have a slim chance of getting a taxi afterwards- hours wait. 

You have a few options getting there- 14 bus is best. Get off at SuperValu Ballinteer and it’s a ten min walk. It won’t be too busy before the show if you get there early afternoon- 3/4.  16 bus will be a lot slower as it goes directly by the park. You can also get the Luas (tram) to the Dundrum stop and it’s a 30 min walk from there. 

The best option after the show is to walk to the  Luas Dundrum stop and take this to the city centre- 20 mins. Last tram is 12.30. It will be busy but you’ll make it.

I live beside the venue. I can meet up and show you the way, if you want? 
    edited June 14
    If there are people travelling to the Dublin show who want to be taken to the venue, I can meet you in the city and be the shepherd! 
  • KieranRKieranR Posts: 2
    Another option is a shuttle bus from city centre to the venue and back. The buses will fill and leave immediately from Marley park after the show.

Taxis will be in short supply and you can gamble with the weather for walking to the Luas in Dundrum.

https://marathongroup.ie/products/buses-to-pearl-jam-at-marlay-park-from-dublin-city-centre-22nd-june-2024
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,036
    I booked a parking pass and bus from Dundrum City Center. 

https://marathongroup.ie/ 
    edited June 14

Bus thing from Dundrum is a fleece and it will literally take you hours to get back after the show.  There are public services for €1.50
    Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
    The stage being built in Marlay, yesterday 

Bus thing from Dundrum is a fleece and it will literally take you hours to get back after the show.  There are public services for €1.50
    I heard it's maybe a half hour walk back to the car park if the bus is a shit show; was that bad info? 
    edited June 14

I heard it's maybe a half hour walk back to the car park if the bus is a shit show; was that bad info? 
    Where is the car park? It might be a half hour walk back but you’ll be stuck in your car for 3/5 hours when you get to it, I can’t stress this enough/ use public transport for the Dublin show/ don’t drive. If you plan driving on the M50, forget it! 

Where is the car park? It might be a half hour walk back but you’ll be stuck in your car for 3/5 hours when you get to it, I can’t stress this enough/ use public transport for the Dublin show/ don’t drive. If you plan driving on the M50, forget it! 
    I can park in the green or red car park at Dundrum Town Center. 

Google tells me it's a 40 minute walk from Marlay Park. 
    edited June 14

Yeah, that’s all true but where do you plan on driving to when you get your car? If you are using the M50 northbound, particularly, it will take you hours. The bus to Dundrum will literally take you hours unless you leave the show at about 9pm. 

Walk to the Luas - get the Luas to town- from town, go where you are going,

The area is mayhem after a show- trust me, I live right beside Marlay Park. 

Yeah, that’s all true but where do you plan on driving to when you get your car? If you are using the M50 northbound, particularly, it will take you hours. The bus to Dundrum will literally take you hours unless you leave the show at about 9pm. 

We're staying in Wicklow. 

PM me - can’t figure that out on my phone! 

I appreciate it, but I’m pretty comfortable w/ my plan. I originally wanted to get a parking pass for the park itself, but heard they shut down the roads around it after you’re in, so we opted for the Dundrum / marathon coach option. & it’s less than a half hour from where we’re staying. & if we have to walk back to Dundrum after the show, so be it. Hopefully there are other groups of people making the same walk. 

edited June 14

I appreciate it, but I’m pretty comfortable w/ my plan. I originally wanted to get a parking pass for the park itself, but heard they shut down the roads around it after you’re in, so we opted for the Dundrum / marathon coach option. & it’s less than a half hour from where we’re staying. & if we have to walk back to Dundrum after the show, so be it. Hopefully there are other groups of people making the same walk. 

Cool, enjoy the traffic/ was going to offer you a parking pass for my estate. Seriously- do not get that bus!!! What part of do not get that bus do you not understand? It will take you hours- literally hours!!! I have lived beside the park all my life-trust me. Walk to Dundrum (if your car is there). Did you not see the bit about giving yourself an extra 3 hours travel time!!

The Google map you included is for a normal day, not a concert day- that’s an additional 3/6 hours of time, seriously!! I laugh at your silly Google Map!

https://www.thejournal.ie/arcade-fire-pixies-marlay-park-transport-1545672-Jun2014/

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2023/05/31/significant-traffic-delays-around-marlay-park-on-concert-days-inevitable-say-organisers/
    Thank you for the advice.
  • I booked a parking pass and bus from Dundrum City Center. 

I’ll join you in walking back to Dundrum! I’m heading north after the show so hopefully not hitting the traffic!
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London O2 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London O2 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, Hyde Park 8/7/22, Hyde Park 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 

I’ll join you in walking back to Dundrum! I’m heading north after the show so hopefully not hitting the traffic!
    Sounds good!!
  • I have a hotel in the city center, what about biking to marlay park? 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,959

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,072
    Wow.  Sounds like best to bring a ⛺️ and camp on Philip's lawn for the evening!  Lol.
    Sure it will be a great show but I would be passing on 3,4,5 hours in traffic.  
    Hope everyone has anamazing time!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • KieranRKieranR Posts: 2
    I have a hotel in the city center, what about biking to marlay park? 

edited June 15
    Post edited by Loujoe on
    edited June 15
    I have a hotel in the city center, what about biking to marlay park? 
    Yeah- prob about 30/40 min cycle. I did see people last year who had the Dublin Bikes (bike rental scheme) and they left them near the park. 
    You can leave you bike in the College Road car park, as shown above. 
    Loujoe said:
    I remember a different image for that song but probably best not to recreate it next week- it would lead to arrest! 
    edited June 15
    Loujoe said:
    I remember a different image for that song but probably best not to recreate it next week- it would lead to arrest! 
    True! Never saw video, posted  then watched. Thought best to put the edited one up. Family place here 😊 
    Loujoe said:
    Loujoe said:
    True! Never saw video, posted  then watched. Thought best to put the edited one up. Family place here 😊 
    Indeed, this is not the place to watch 100 naked ladies on bicycles! 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    Where is the place? 
    Asking for a friend!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • seanclaxseanclax Posts: 546
    If there are people travelling to the Dublin show who want to be taken to the venue, I can meet you in the city and be the shepherd! 
    Are you not going to the show
  • CL159019CL159019 Posts: 8
    Can you walk from Temple Bar to the venue if you wanted?  Taking a bus that takes hours is definitely not in the cards for us.  
  • TheGManTheGMan Posts: 62
    CL159019 said:
    Can you walk from Temple Bar to the venue if you wanted?  Taking a bus that takes hours is definitely not in the cards for us.  
    It'd be 2+ hours to walk on a normal day.

2010: Dublin
    2024: Dublin

2017: Cork (EV)