Lack of Backspacer

TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
Does anyone think they have been skipping Backspacer on purpose, so that they can play the full album one of the nights in Seattle next week?
  • 2006: Gorge 1
  • 2009: Seattle 1
  • 2013: Seattle
  • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
  • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
  • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
  • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula

Comments

• thomascbullockthomascbullock Posts: 410
    Not a chance.

I love that they threw in Got Some the other day - it’s not gonna end up on any best of but it’s a solid fun rocker. Like a lot of Backspacer is that respect actually.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    No one cares about Backspacer. 
    Including the band. 

Even Unthought Known has died off as a live staple. Hasn’t it. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    There's just too many songs to play. Something's going to get left out. I'd actually love it if they'd bring back something completely out of left field of BS, like Force of Nature or Speed of Sound
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 618
    Pretty much everything post Yield has been shelved from consistent play minus the album they are touring for several decades now. Those first 5 albums have so many hits it’s impossible to equally add in songs from the other 6 albums and make room for Dark Matter. I’ve love more Binaural and Riot Act but it’s not happening. Those albums had their tours and time in the rotation.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
    Including the band. 

I'm hoping you are right.  I've always thought that if I ever was at a show they played a whole album, I would end up with Backspacer, and it never seems to leave my head.  Hopefully, with the 25 song sets, they only one they would even try it with would be Dark Matter.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,550
    They're not playing a lot of Gigaton, either.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    Gigaton got the shaft and I’m not happy about it. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,007
    Do we think Ed has a good "Amongst The Waves" left in him? 
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,281
    In LA we got Got Some and Just Breathe!  

I do think that it is hard fitting all the albums into the mix, and Backspacer is in an interesting spot where it isn't old enough to be one of the older albums that fans want cuts from but it isn't new enough to where the emphasis would be placed on it higher than any material off of the last couple of new albums
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,300
    PJammin' said:
    I couldn’t be happier. 
  • BR2428BR2428 Posts: 129
    Given that the one show on the Gigaton tour I was supposed to attend was postponed and that I couldn’t make the rescheduled date, I would have like to have had more Gigaton at my show this year.
  • Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound Posts: 622
    I’m quite happy with the mix of songs this year, with a lot of love for the first six albums and the Dark Matter songs which they are rightly proud of, with the odd later career song thrown in.
  • We All BelieveWe All Believe Posts: 581
    I hope so. That's my all-time favorite PJ song. I have "If not for love, I would be drowning.", a wave, and the initials of my grandfather, mom, and brother tattooed on my arm. I've only heard it 3 times. Would LOVE to hear it again. 
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
    Including the band. 

Thank goodness. Only song on Backspacer worth playing is Force of Nature. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

In LA we got Got Some and Just Breathe!  

I do think that it is hard fitting all the albums into the mix, and Backspacer is in an interesting spot where it isn't old enough to be one of the older albums that fans want cuts from but it isn't new enough to where the emphasis would be placed on it higher than any material off of the last couple of new albums
    Also, it’s just not that good. Way more songs off of Lightning Bolt I’d rather hear than from BS. 

• shepshep Posts: 5,759
    yosi said:
    Including the band. 

Y'all are fucking nuts. Unthought known is one of my favorite pearl jam tunes. I will listen to it back to back with upper hand. So good.

Not to mention supersonic, getaway, or speed of sound.

The fact is that they have too many albums and just 2:20 minutes to play. I want them to play all fucking night. Every tour post covid I have left just feeling it's too short.. I need more. Toronto in 2011 spoiled me rotten.

Don't shoot the messenger, but lightning bolt has been played exactly once since 2018.... and that is a fucking tragedy...

Just embrace what they give you and be happy they are still killing it live... if that's not doing it for you, I suggest you take a break for a year and try it again.... a 5 year gap due to kids and life made every tune special again... even those I don't love.

See you in chi-town.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,467
    PJammin' said:
    I’m hoping for a couple of Gigaton songs in Australia this year. We haven’t had a tour since 2014 so nothing from that record has ever been played here.

I’ve seen all of the BS songs that I need to see, but I always enjoy Got Some.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    shep said:
    yosi said:
    Including the band. 

Y'all are fucking nuts. Unthought known is one of my favorite pearl jam tunes. I will listen to it back to back with upper hand. So good.

Not to mention supersonic, getaway, or speed of sound.

The fact is that they have too many albums and just 2:20 minutes to play. I want them to play all fucking night. Every tour post covid I have left just feeling it's too short.. I need more. Toronto in 2011 spoiled me rotten.

Don't shoot the messenger, but lightning bolt has been played exactly once since 2018.... and that is a fucking tragedy...

Just embrace what they give you and be happy they are still killing it live... if that's not doing it for you, I suggest you take a break for a year and try it again.... a 5 year gap due to kids and life made every tune special again... even those I don't love.

See you in chi-town.
    While I disagree with your take on Backspacer tunes, I will never not be grateful for getting to see this band live. No more gaps needed (did a 5 year gap twice) and while there are lots of songs I haven’t heard that I hope to, there are plenty of staples I would be sad not to hear. 

I want Got Some again :/
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Got some was on point at the LA show, never thought I’d hear it again
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,243
    Got Some is a great tune. At this point with so much PJ material to choose from and shorter sets I would only ever want to hear three songs off BS. 
    1.  Amongst the Waves
    2.  Got Some
    3.  Unthought Known
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,300
    I prefer BS and LB over gigaton. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 
    Got Some is a great tune. At this point with so much PJ material to choose from and shorter sets I would only ever want to hear three songs off BS. 
    1.  Amongst the Waves
    2.  Got Some
    3.  Unthought Known
    1. Got Some
    2. Force of Nature
    3. Gonna See My Friends/Supersonic
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    edited May 27
    1.  Amongst the Waves
    2.  Got Some
    3.  Unthought Known
    1. Got Some
    2. Force of Nature

Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
    1.  Amongst the Waves
    2.  Got Some
    3.  Unthought Known
    1. Got Some
    2. Force of Nature
    1. Force of Nature
    2. Force of Nature
    3. Force of Nature

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    If I was at a Backspacer full show, I'd be honestly pretty ok with that. I dig that record, great live energy to those tunes. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    Sounded great in San Diego the other year
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 1,081
    edited May 27
    How no votes for Just Breathe?  It was beautiful in LA.  Even Dave Matthews is playing Just Breathe in his recent sets.
    https://youtu.be/_jMFobz59s8?si=ntzz_HsWPuH0vkmf
    And The Fixer is my favorite song on BS but I don't ever see it mentioned.  BS has a bunch of nice tracks
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    If I was at a Backspacer full show, I'd be honestly pretty ok with that. I dig that record, great live energy to those tunes. 
    It’s quietly aged better than expected. It’s much more digestible than it was 15 years ago. 
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    Gibson said:
    It’s quietly aged better than expected. It’s much more digestible than it was 15 years ago. 
    It was only 37 minutes long fifteen years ago. Has inflation made it seem shorter now?

"Force of Nature" is the standout track that I wish had gotten more exposure live, but it's a really tough one to sing. And "Getaway," for whatever reason, they just couldn't figure out how to translate it live.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.