Lack of Backspacer

Comments

• THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,862
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:
    If I was at a Backspacer full show, I'd be honestly pretty ok with that. I dig that record, great live energy to those tunes. 
    It’s quietly aged better than expected. It’s much more digestible than it was 15 years ago. 
    It was only 37 minutes long fifteen years ago. Has inflation made it seem shorter now?

"Force of Nature" is the standout track that I wish had gotten more exposure live, but it's a really tough one to sing. And "Getaway," for whatever reason, they just couldn't figure out how to translate it live.
    Getaway is on LB btw 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    nicknyr15 said:
    I prefer BS and LB over gigaton. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 
    For sure.   The only songs from Gigaton I would want to hear live are Who Ever Said, DOTC, and Quick Escape.  Setting Sun eclipses Retrogrades finish.  Three songs.  
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:
    If I was at a Backspacer full show, I'd be honestly pretty ok with that. I dig that record, great live energy to those tunes. 
    It’s quietly aged better than expected. It’s much more digestible than it was 15 years ago. 
    It was only 37 minutes long fifteen years ago. Has inflation made it seem shorter now?

"Force of Nature" is the standout track that I wish had gotten more exposure live, but it's a really tough one to sing. And "Getaway," for whatever reason, they just couldn't figure out how to translate it live.
    Getaway is on LB btw 
    Yes, that was a sloppily worded post. I was speaking generally about great songs that disappeared from the live repertoire and didn't mean to imply that they were both on Backspacer, even though that's what this thread is about and it would be reasonable to think that's what I meant.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    Getaway is cool live
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • MM70435MM70435 Posts: 280
    PJammin' said:
    They're not playing a lot of Gigaton, either.
    Gigaton got the shaft and I’m not happy about it. 
    Agree 100%.  I wish Gigaton got the love DM is getting. Still glad DM is getting the love it is getting.  As far as Backspacer goes, no chance of a Backspacer album show.  Solid album though.  UK is easily a tier 1 song.  One of my all time faves.  Tier 2: GSMF, GS, FON, ATW.  Tier 3: the fixer, SS, SoS.  Tier 4: JB, The End.  Tier 5: JG (worst song of all time)
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 -  Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    More than happy with not hearing any again.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
    nicknyr15 said:l
    For sure.   The only songs from Gigaton I would want to hear live are Who Ever Said, DOTC, and Quick Escape.  Setting Sun eclipses Retrogrades finish.  Three songs.  
    I'd add SBWM, but that’s it. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    Their catalog has grown to the point where it's impossible to please everyone and/or represent every album.

Or if they do try to represent every album people will complain that they play the same songs over and over.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • thomascbullockthomascbullock Posts: 410
    yosi said:
    nicknyr15 said:l
    I'd add SBWM, but that’s it. 
    It was a great opener at Ohana, surprised they never used it that way again.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    if this band goes another 10 years, adding another album or two, they'll have no choice but to turn their live show into a greatest hits set, like all the other insanely big bands like U2 and the Stones. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    if this band goes another 10 years, adding another album or two, they'll have no choice but to turn their live show into a greatest hits set, like all the other insanely big bands like U2 and the Stones. 

Or Alternate.   They do often have non album tours.  It's harder to fit in rarities and other album tracks when you're focusing on playing a new album.   I would imagine for tours that fall between albums, you'll have a bigger chance at hearing other songs.

That being said, the band continues to age, so I imagine at some point they might have to narrow it down just because it gets hard to remember how to play that many songs.
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 231
    No one cares about Backspacer. 
    Including the band. 

Even Unthought Known has died off as a live staple. Hasn’t it. 
    This. By far their worst album and should be forgotten. 
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    They really overplayed Fixer/Just Breathe/Unthought for a while there. But yeah I'd love to hear Force of Nature in September!

"Shout out" to whoever on the Bandsplain podcast who thought The Fixer was the band's best 21st century song. Way to prove to everyone you did zero work preparing for the podcast.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,397
    5 or 6 tracks off of backspacer would be preferable to more 10 at this point but that's a hardcore fan take. The casuals would be disappointed 
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 
    Yes, that was a sloppily worded post. I was speaking generally about great songs that disappeared from the live repertoire and didn't mean to imply that they were both on Backspacer, even though that's what this thread is about and it would be reasonable to think that's what I meant.
    Getaway sounded great on the record but never translated to a great live song. 
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Backspacer was an attempt to be commercial by a band that once abandoned being commercial.
    I do love Johnny Guitar & Amongst the Waves.  
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • thomascbullockthomascbullock Posts: 410
    They really overplayed Fixer/Just Breathe/Unthought for a while there. But yeah I'd love to hear Force of Nature in September!

"Shout out" to whoever on the Bandsplain podcast who thought The Fixer was the band's best 21st century song. Way to prove to everyone you did zero work preparing for the podcast.
    Fixer overplayed? Not sure about that.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    edited May 28
    And...if you haven't yet...search for "need to know Matt Cameron" in youtube. That's the way it was written and it far superior in my opinion.

Can't stand the BS version
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 736
    Yesterday I tried putting on Backspacer again... I got half way through got some and took it off and put dark matter back on! An absolute world of difference. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    Milestone said:
    Backspacer was an attempt to be commercial by a band that once abandoned being commercial.
    I do love Johnny Guitar & Amongst the Waves.  
    haha
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 
    That was exactly what I said in the original post so, needless to say, I agree.
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 
    Great minds think alike. 
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 
    Think it worked as good as other songs on the 13-14 tour. 

🤷

Don't see the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYjMLThkt8g

One of the more memorable/cool songs off LB too. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 

🤷

Don't see the problem.

Your video doesn't play, which seems appropriate given that the song didn't really come across live. (Maybe the video works in Sweden.)
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 

🤷

Don't see the problem.

Getaway only played 16x live with MYM being played 124x live. Proof is right there. Getaway and Swallowed Whole just never worked great live even though both great tracks. Fathers Son a great song and really like the live version 
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    I will see "The Fixer" before I die. I know this. I just need to empty out my savings and get on the damn road. 
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
    edited May 30
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 

🤷

Don't see the problem.

Getaway only played 16x live with MYM being played 124x live. Proof is right there. Getaway and Swallowed Whole just never worked great live even though both great tracks. Fathers Son a great song and really like the live version 
    Blood only played 3x live in 2011. Olé being played 13x live. Proof is right there.

How many times has Fatal been played? Proof is right there. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 

🤷

Don't see the problem.

Yes! "Swallowed Whole" is another criminally underappreciated track. I'm not crazy about "My Father's Son," but I do really like its bridge. 
    edited May 30
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 

🤷

Don't see the problem.

Your video doesn't play, which seems appropriate given that the song didn't really come across live. (Maybe the video works in Sweden.)
    Maybe you have "children's setting" on? Does it still not work? If not, listen to the Seattle 2013 version on Spotify. Remember that being nice. (haven't listened to the boot in a long time though).

Whatever. Cool song. If not live - then at least agree it's one of the standouts on the album. :)

Swallowed Whole I liked on the album.... but don't remember the live versions.... might have been "stale" live.
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 

🤷

Don't see the problem.

Blood only played 3x live in 2011. Olé being played 13x live. Proof is right there.

How many times has Fatal been played? Proof is right there. 

Muted