Lack of Backspacer

13»

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:
    If I was at a Backspacer full show, I'd be honestly pretty ok with that. I dig that record, great live energy to those tunes. 
    It’s quietly aged better than expected. It’s much more digestible than it was 15 years ago. 
    It was only 37 minutes long fifteen years ago. Has inflation made it seem shorter now?

"Force of Nature" is the standout track that I wish had gotten more exposure live, but it's a really tough one to sing. And "Getaway," for whatever reason, they just couldn't figure out how to translate it live.
    Getaway is on LB btw 
    Yes, that was a sloppily worded post. I was speaking generally about great songs that disappeared from the live repertoire and didn't mean to imply that they were both on Backspacer, even though that's what this thread is about and it would be reasonable to think that's what I meant.
    Getaway sounded great on the record but never translated to a great live song. 
    That was exactly what I said in the original post so, needless to say, I agree.
    Think it worked as good as other songs on the 13-14 tour. 

🤷

Don't see the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYjMLThkt8g

One of the more memorable/cool songs off LB too. 
    Getaway only played 16x live with MYM being played 124x live. Proof is right there. Getaway and Swallowed Whole just never worked great live even though both great tracks. Fathers Son a great song and really like the live version 
    Blood only played 3x live in 2011. Olé being played 13x live. Proof is right there.

How many times has Fatal been played? Proof is right there. 

Muted
    Proof is right there
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:
    If I was at a Backspacer full show, I'd be honestly pretty ok with that. I dig that record, great live energy to those tunes. 
    It’s quietly aged better than expected. It’s much more digestible than it was 15 years ago. 
    It was only 37 minutes long fifteen years ago. Has inflation made it seem shorter now?

"Force of Nature" is the standout track that I wish had gotten more exposure live, but it's a really tough one to sing. And "Getaway," for whatever reason, they just couldn't figure out how to translate it live.
    Getaway is on LB btw 
    Yes, that was a sloppily worded post. I was speaking generally about great songs that disappeared from the live repertoire and didn't mean to imply that they were both on Backspacer, even though that's what this thread is about and it would be reasonable to think that's what I meant.

🤷

Don't see the problem.

Your video doesn't play, which seems appropriate given that the song didn't really come across live. (Maybe the video works in Sweden.)
    Maybe you have "children's setting" on? Does it still not work? If not, listen to the Seattle 2013 version on Spotify. Remember that being nice. (haven't listened to the boot in a long time though).

Whatever. Cool song. If not live - then at least agree it's one of the standouts on the album. :)

Swallowed Whole I liked on the album.... but don't remember the live versions.... might have been "stale" live.
    I don't have Spotify. I saw them perform it live several times, and I was excited to hear it. It just didn't come across. Agree to disagree.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,862
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 

🤷

Don't see the problem.

Getaway only played 16x live with MYM being played 124x live. Proof is right there. Getaway and Swallowed Whole just never worked great live even though both great tracks. Fathers Son a great song and really like the live version 
    Blood only played 3x live in 2011. Olé being played 13x live. Proof is right there.

Muted
    Proof is right there
    Muted
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    Was someone really trying to say Ole is better than Fatal? Not sure I heard that right.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Gibson said:

Getaway is on LB btw 

🤷

Don't see the problem.

Muted
    haha. guy makes a great counter point and this is your response. haha
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Was someone really trying to say Ole is better than Fatal? Not sure I heard that right.
    no. he was saying that how many times a track is played live is not indicative of how good said song is. 

www.headstonesband.com

honestly I like Getaway studio, but watching the swede's video, it does actually lack something live. no UMPH. 

www.headstonesband.com

edited June 14
    Post deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines.
    Post edited by Sea on
    ok, I'll wait for you to quote him a third time saying "muted". lol

www.headstonesband.com

ok, I'll wait for you to quote him a third time saying "muted". lol
    No reason to stir the pot. Let’s move on 
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    no. he was saying that how many times a track is played live is not indicative of how good said song is. 
    Got it.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    honestly I like Getaway studio, but watching the swede's video, it does actually lack something live. no UMPH. 
    Ironically, I always felt that the live version sounded a little, well, muted.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    HAHA

www.headstonesband.com

• SeaSea Posts: 3,006
    Reminder:  No name calling. Be nice. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here.
    If you cannot get along with someone please put them on your ignore list. You are not using the ignore feature properly if you are still replying to the person.

Please see the Posting Guidelines: https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines