Options

Show/Travel Fatigue = Fight It, or Listen

124»

Comments

• Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 510
    Several of us in my family are caregivers, so going to shows has been impacted by this. I'm older now, I was the parent who took my then teens to see Pearl Jam in the 90's. I kept on going to see them live over these years, because I love them, and love them Live. So the Bridge School Benefits were an annual feature, until they ended.  Coachella days were 06, 07, and 09. Outside Lands were 09, '11, '12.  A couple of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in there, and a few Aftershocks since, before covid.  Since covid, Ohana Encore, and PJ shows in '22, and just two PJ shows in '24 with one of those being Bottlerock on Saturday. Do I want to see more? Yes, but it'll take a plan that may not fit scheduling.  Lately I wonder could Bottlerock be the last time I see Pearl Jam Live?  I hope not. But I am thankful for all the shows. Thankful my now young adult granddaughter has gone with me to Pearl Jam shows since '21-we've had a blast.  Onward, and wishing you all have enjoyable experiences seeing Pearl Jam Live as you continue. Show/ travel fatigue is a real thing- may you find your way around it- and go to their shows, and be pleased that you did. I'm glad to hear there have been a lot of first-timers, too. 🔥💘🔥😁
  • Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 189
    LBCeddie said:
    Go Animal said:
    PJNB said:
    I think as we get older it is smart to listen to your body. 

If you normally drink or do any kind of drugs before a show maybe don’t do that at all and hit the LA shows. Also skip merch. Always skip merch actually lol

You can sit down during Eddie’s talking moments or when they play Just Breathe(kidding) etc if you have a seat. Show up at 800pm after resting at the hotel most of the day. Don’t eat too salty of foods helps as well with the swelling. 

It’s doable but if you are worn the fuck out there are other shows. 
    Yeah I learned from you & @steven87 to just skip the merch line altogether. Coincidentally, waiting for merch at LA 1 & 2 in 2022 kicked my ass, and I think I would've had a better time if I'd just slept or went to the pool.

No drugs, and I usually wait to have a beer in the venue. But maybe that doesn't help? Definitely gonna watch the salty foods next time, no matter where that is.

I did LA 2 last time with @RatherStarved & it was nice to sit during some of the lulls😅Buckle Up was a nice respite, too😏

I mean, it's all still doable (for the next 24 hrs lol) but there will be other shows...
    No drugs? Sounds awful. 

You’ll be just fine.
    Nothing a couple nose beers couldn’t fix, when the time comes. Half kidding.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22, Denver 9/22/22, Sacramento 5/13/24, LA 5/21/24
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    When I was 20 I slept in an airport lounge underneath a row of seats at O’Hare after Chicago 1998 with a backpack for a pillow. Had to catch a 9am college algebra final. That was 26 years ago and it took me 3 days to get reset. I’ve travelled to Australia and New Zealand (not for PJ) a dozen times since age 22 and it takes a full week or more to adjust to the jet lag, dehydration and muscle fatigue regardless of how old I was at the time. I just arrived in Nashville after 7 hours of driving and it’s nearly 8 and I’m ready for bed. Traveling takes it out of you! I’ve learned never to push it. Glad you did too OP! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Naked JohnNaked John Posts: 306
    I have done some amazing things.  1996,1998,2000,2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2016, 2018, I feel bad for you. I was down in my basement... Check your PM.
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 487
    I'm sorry it's so taxing. It can really suck sometimes. I was in a similar boat.

I finished moving a couple of weeks ago. The move was emotionally difficult, physically as well. Hurt my shoulder lifting boxes. Never considered canceling, but it hurts enough that it keeps me up at night. My poor concert mates were subjected to the smell of Tiger Balm all night, although it wasn't necessarily out of place at the Dead show lol.

My 4-day stretch:
    5/15 Neil Young & Crazy Horse in Queens
    5/16 Early flight, PJ Vegas
    5/17 Dead & Co Vegas
    5/18 PJ Vegas

I've hardly slept at hotels or on thr flights because of my shoulder. And I'm physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted, because of the move, work (worked from Vegas on my fucking birthday), and a few other things.

I chose to power through, but I'm going to listen to my head and my body. Saw my doctor about my shoulder, pills, creams, and physical therapy for now, follow up in a few weeks.

I don't regret it, because I had a fucking fantastic time in Vegas, and met some great people. But I could have planned things a little better. I'm going to Seattle, and I tweaked my schedule a little so it's not as taxing.

Sending you some strength.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,750
    edited May 24
    I know all the decisions are over now, for better or worse, but I found this thread very interesting! I am amazed by so many people's willingness to push themselves the way they do to travel for shows (or any other reason), with these red eye flights, travelling on the day of the shows, going back and forth across the country multiple times with only a day or two in between, WOW. Good for you folks, having the energy and will. I can't imagine ever being willing to do any of this, let alone now in my late 40s! If I travel, I definitely arrive the day before, sleep in on show day, 100% no on merch lines. I don't think my GA days are necessarily behind me completely, but I'm now thinking good seats next to the pit are preferable not so much because it's a physical drain, but simply so I can go pee when I feel like it and grab a drink if I get the desire to. Being able to sit until they hit the stage is a huge bonus. Then a really good sleep until late the day after the each show, and then I MIGHT fly home later that day, but if there is a good museum or art gallery in the city, I'd stay an extra day just to cruise that and to come down from the shows before putting myself through air travel. Leisure road is the way to go baby! I realize this kind of schedule isn't always possible for people though, and it does cost more, but if I couldn't do it like that, I seriously wouldn't go in the first place. I guess I've become quite the princess about the whole thing, HAHA. But FOMO is real! For me the struggle is all around the financial decisions. I was very very close to going to Seattle for 5 days to see the shows... I had chosen hotels and everything, was stalking TM for tix.... And then I just kept thinking about how it would cost a good $3000+ to do it the way I do it, and I had just seen 2 shows in Vancouver... was this really a good decision money-wise? I decided no. I'm sorry to say I made the right decision, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata