Options

Play Release in the UK - a long form art project song request!

HatsnChainsHatsnChains Posts: 69
edited May 11 in The Porch
I know this one gets requested a lot, but how many people have requested it TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY THREE TIMES!? Thats today's number - because why request a song the regular way when you can turn it into a long form daily art project? The below image is a couple days out of date now, but I do daily uploads on an Instagram which is currently 98% dedicated to this project. Each drawing is PJ related in some way - I started picking lines from songs I'd seen live, illustrating every song from the setlist of the six shows I've been to since 2014, then moved on to every song from every album. I'm currently on Gigaton haha. I won't quite hit 365 days of doodles by Manchester, but I should have every album illustrated so that's something. 

Like just about anyone requesting this song I think (the universal language of music in action) I started asking because I lost someone a while back - thing was I didn't realise it at the time. I'd been living with a friend's family for years after my own home environment went from abusive to outright dangerous. I didn't know how families worked or how that was supposed to feel. So when my friend's father died, I didn't understand I was allowed to be sad - it took me a year to figure out I was grieving for the closest thing I had ever had to a dad. Listening to Release and really feeling it in a way I never had before (even though it'd always been my favourite track on Ten) really helped me figuring out what I felt, and why. Song hits different now, but in a good and beautiful way - it helps me miss someone. I never got to tell him what he meant to me. My friend says he knew, I hope so. I hope he'd be proud of me now - I've come a long way in the past 5 years. 

Anyway, its been over a decade since Pearl Jam played Release at a UK show so I'm asking for me, but also because it really is about time, don't you think? haha. Anyway here's the art project - I'll update sporadically :) Hopefully less carpet in the next photo (I'm a grad student not a photographer haha)

Post edited by HatsnChains on

Comments

• Options
    Today is day 294. This is a little deviation from the plan as I had been working through Gigaton illustrations BUT how's this for a coincidence- Friday I make a new queue buddy, we're positions one and two in line for Barrett Martin and Duke Garwood, a tiny little London show. We're both ten club members, I later learn both academics, we both have song requests and are both attending London and Manchester on the dark matter tour. That's some wild odds there. So today, in honour of this strange coincidence - I doodled a line from his request - Education. May the odds (and gods of the setlist) bless us both once again. 
  • Options
    Almost forgot to upload for day 295 - for a good reason. I got invited to speak at a star trek convention on LGBTQIA+ representation. As a queer academic and massive Trekkie that's kind of huge. So I got distracted booking hotels and travel and it's 1am and I'm running a trans focus group in 10 hours but here it is anyway - 295 - please play Release in the UK for a queer activist Trekkie academic :)

• Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,034
    My favourite of all time. Good luck with your request! 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    Day 296. As good a time as any to point out - this goes until Release gets played in this country. If this reaches day 2096 before that happens... well I guess that's gonna be a hell of a large canvas (current size I'd guesstimate at a little under 4 feet long, about half that high - day 300 I'll maybe put something in for reference haha)  

• Options
    Day 297.
    Please play Release in the UK. 

• Options
    Day 298. Almost missed today's upload because freak weather brought the northern lights to south Kent and I got my doodle done and just went driving on what felt like an alien planet. I'd love to say pearl jam on the radio but today it was tool and it was freaking transcendent. Singing along to the line 'to breathe to feel to know I'm alive' when the sky is pink and green and full of colours and light and stars? Jesus - how much more alive do you get to feel than in that moment. But my photos came out crappy so I'm afraid you'll have to make do with doodle 298. Please play Release in the UK.
  • Options
    Day 299. Big day tomorrow 🖤 please play Release in the UK.

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,771
    Let's hope all your hard work pays off
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Today's a big one, every line of Release in my own strange doodle form for day 300.

• Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,128
    I really hope you get your request, it’s a beautiful song. 
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,572
    Please play it again in Berlin on July 3rd!! 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,604
    Yes please play it again in Berlin on July 2nd or 3rd!
  • Options
    Day 301 - thanks for the support everyone here bumping the thread everyone on Instagram liking and whatnot I love this project and I hate to be the 'the journey is its own reward guy' but, I do like what this canvas has become. That being said - Pearl Jam, please play Release in the UK (and I guess if you're feeling super generous in Berlin for the folks supporting me who have asked for Berlin as well haha - but mostly in the UK, please).

• Options
    Day 302. Please play Release in the UK. 

• Options
    Day 303. Please play Release in the UK.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
    Good luck :lucky:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Day 304. Please play Release in the UK. 
  • Options
    Day 305. Please play Release in the UK.

• Options
    Day 306. Please play Release in the UK.

• Options
    Day 307. Please play Release in the UK.

• Options
    Day 308. Please play Release in the UK.

• Options
    Day 309. Please play Release in the UK.

• Options
    Day 310. Please play Release in the UK.

• Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,627
    I'd rather have Wash or Long Road as an opener
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,128
    I’ll take any of those… lot of love for Release though, would love it mid set as a surprise 
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    I'd rather have Wash or Long Road as an opener
    I hope you get them at a show some time! Great picks but I've been waiting a long time to hear Release in the UK - hasn't been played here in a decade and that student budget of mine just won't run to international shows haha
  • Options
    Chazz said:
    I’ll take any of those… lot of love for Release though, would love it mid set as a surprise 
    Would love that too, though if they open with it I'll be able to breathe a sigh of relief off the bat haha
  • Options
    Day 311. Later than usual because I was at Jane's Addiction and met half the freaking band. But was a dream coming true enough to stop me getting the doodle done? Nope. So, as ever: please play Release in the UK ❤️

• Options
    Day 312. Please play Release in the UK 

• Options
    Day 313. Please play Release in the UK. NGL doing this project I've come to realise some lyrics I've never really listened to are a little bit weird haha