Pearl Jam To Appear On Howard Stern Show

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,819
    nicknyr15 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    JV130312 said:
    For the first time ever, Pearl Jam will appear on the Howard Stern at the end of this month.  No specific date has been announced but has been confirmed by Howard himself.
    I hope this is a April Fools joke. Why would they go on this assholes show? Again pJ taught me to stand up against Tyrants like these. It just goes to show the longer your in show business the farther you get away from the average person. Well...I hope they play Army reserve for the 60k that lost their job in the Armed service because they didn't want mRNA in their system. Their body their choice.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/howard-stern-message-unvaccinated-covid_n_61ea6194e4b01440a68a1391

You don't want mRNA in your system? Then you've got a problem, since mRNA exists naturally in your body as part of the DNA transcription process. It must be difficult to live with yourself knowing that your own body is engaged in this conspiracy against you every day of your life. Sic semper tyrannis!
    Not the mRNA they cooked up....No thanks...
    Please explain why the mRNA in the mRNA-based COVID vaccines is of special concern to you. Have you opted for the non-mRNA-based Novavax COVID vaccine instead?
    Pleas don’t. Keep this shit AMT. There’s a whole thread for this. 
    Oh, sure, but it's O.K. for you to bring up the alternative minimum tax...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,532
    edited April 1
    Maybe they can do a mashup, Baba (Booey) O'Riley
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,643
    Recently canceled my Sirius subscription. Hopefully someone can share a recording. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,833
    Gary!? Gary where are you??
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,487
    ComeToTX said:
    Recently canceled my Sirius subscription. Hopefully someone can share a recording. 
    They'll probably offer you a hefty discount to come back 
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,643
    It mad more to do with completely ruining the app. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,474
    I just re newed for under $10 month all in
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,552
    BF25394 said:
    He is an excellent interviewer,
    Seems to be talking more himself and answering the questions instead of letting his guests. Don’t really see how he would be excellent.

Much rather have an e.g. Marc Maron conversation with the band than whatever Stern is doing in his post shock-jock Symbian era. 
    When he had Ed on it was pretty good, but he does have to talk about himself every other question. 
    I can see that, though. It's his show. If you are a fan of Stern, but maybe not Vedder, you want to hear Stern too.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,450
    edited April 2
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BF25394 said:
    Seems to be talking more himself and answering the questions instead of letting his guests. Don’t really see how he would be excellent.

Much rather have an e.g. Marc Maron conversation with the band than whatever Stern is doing in his post shock-jock Symbian era. 
    When he had Ed on it was pretty good, but he does have to talk about himself every other question. 
    I can see that, though. It's his show. If you are a fan of Stern, but maybe not Vedder, you want to hear Stern too.
    Talking a lot or talking about himself isn't the problem for me, but the way he is loading every question and leading the guests with his ramblings that are in reality just Howards opinions prepped for leading to a by him pre-decided answer, and often having the guest just sort of agreeing like you do in conversations with people. He is also overly TMZ:ed up in what he wants to talk about and what kind of answers he has decided to get. 

So for me, it's not about Howard talking or being part of the conversation "podcast"-style (which is more interesting than a News question and answer-type thing) but how uninteresting the conversation becomes (imo) with how Howard is leading people down his "pre-decided" paths. He is boring to listen to.

Instead of "So, how did you really feel about John?" or even "I, Howard, held John as my favorite Beatle I must admit, and let me tell you about when I first heard Sgt Pepper, you already know this story Robin but... /.../ but how did you feel about John?"

You get "And you always felt like John was your brother, right, a brother from another mother, but then there was also a competition between you and then when the band split up your resented John, but now you look back at it and you really loved him, right, that is how you feel I have already decided so just nod?" 

Howard gets good guests. But this thing about him being such an amazing interviewer... come on now people. I also do not agree with people saying he is so knowledgeable. THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE YOUTH TODAY.

All avenues for hearing the band talk (I figure Howard will be mostly focused on Ed and only cares about Ed) is good though. And there are always fun tidbits. Like, someone mentioned Howard being on Eddie about the smoking. YOU DON'T GET THAT ON CBS. And to get some pro-shot live versions of songs is nice.

But a Tiny Desk with them is long overdue. Do that too.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 282
    Let's agree that no one has to listen to the show.
    So if you don't like Stern, just stay away from it.
    You'll survive it.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,552
    Howard’s interview with Springsteen was pretty awesome.  Watched it like 5 times over the couple months after it dropped.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Maybe they play an acoustic version of Sweet Lew.
  • Options
    Everlong acoustic by Dave Grohl on the Stern Show went viral before viral was in our daily lexicon.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,629
    on2legs said:
    Howard’s interview with Springsteen was pretty awesome.  Watched it like 5 times over the couple months after it dropped.  
    I'm trying to remember the last time HBO saw an interview elsewhere and decided they wanted to broadcast it as a special on their network. 
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 487
    edited April 2
    I used to be a diehard Stern fan, and I was even on the show in 2001 (was supposed to arm-wrestle Mr. T).

I hardly listen anymore, and I only have a sub because it costs me less than $100 a year.

The show has changed, for sure.

That being said, I can't wait for this. He legit loves the band. He opened today's show talking about "Elderly Woman", was playing some of the chords.

I'm pretty sure his Ed interview is the longest interview he's ever done. I think they even took a pee/commercial break.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,192

• Options
    I used to be a diehard Stern fan, and I was even on the show in 2001 (was supposed to arm-wrestle Mr. T).

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,232
    Can't wait to hear this
  • Options
    edited April 2

Original Xbox was brand new at the time. Stern had a contest - arm-wrestle Mr. T, and you win an Xbox if you beat him.

I got in cause I called the show and told them about when I broke someone's arm while arm-wrestling once (true story).

T had just beaten cancer at the time, showed up in hospital scrubs. He was saying he never agreed to arm-wrestle me and the other guys, cause we weren't celebrities. He'd only arm-wrestle Howard. About me, he said:

"He ain't got no show, he ain't even on the B-Team!" Lolol

We got the Xboxes anyway, and I met T after the show.

The video from the E! Show and Howard On Demand is out there somewhere.

• Options

Original Xbox was brand new at the time. Stern had a contest - arm-wrestle Mr. T, and you win an Xbox if you beat him.

I got in cause I called the show and told them about when I broke someone's arm while arm-wrestling once (true story).

T had just beaten cancer at the time, showed up in hospital scrubs. He was saying he never agreed to arm-wrestle me and the other guys, cause we weren't celebrities. He'd only arm-wrestle Howard. About me, he said:

That's fantastic. I wonder how many times he's used that B Team line. (Probably not enough... it's $$$) 

Thanks for sharing. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,664
    ComeToTX said:

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951

That's fantastic. I wonder how many times he's used that B Team line. (Probably not enough... it's $$$) 

Thanks for sharing. 
    LOL here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfO8XpcRYXM
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

Thanks for sharing. 
    LOL here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfO8XpcRYXM
    There it is! Lol the whole day was surreal. Didn't get to meet anyone on the show, but I chatted with Gary and K.C. for a bit.

Caught up with T after the show. I legit loved him when I was a kid. Grew up on the A-Team. I apologized for talking smack. He said we were just playing, it's cool. Gave me a big hug, took pics with him.

• Options
    I think Stern does a great job interviewing people.  If real can’t wait for PJ to be on!
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,232
    I think Stern does a great job interviewing people.  If real can’t wait for PJ to be on!
    It's real 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,013
    Will this appearance / interview be coupled with an in studio live performance? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,537
    Will this appearance / interview be coupled with an in studio live performance? 
    I heard him say they will perform something. They will be in their Seattle studio. So it'll be 4am their time when the show starts. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    Is the stern show live on YouTube?  Where can we watch?
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,552
    Vedd Hedd said:
    BF25394 said:

Talking a lot or talking about himself isn't the problem for me, but the way he is loading every question and leading the guests with his ramblings that are in reality just Howards opinions prepped for leading to a by him pre-decided answer, and often having the guest just sort of agreeing like you do in conversations with people. He is also overly TMZ:ed up in what he wants to talk about and what kind of answers he has decided to get. 

So for me, it's not about Howard talking or being part of the conversation "podcast"-style (which is more interesting than a News question and answer-type thing) but how uninteresting the conversation becomes (imo) with how Howard is leading people down his "pre-decided" paths. He is boring to listen to.

Instead of "So, how did you really feel about John?" or even "I, Howard, held John as my favorite Beatle I must admit, and let me tell you about when I first heard Sgt Pepper, you already know this story Robin but... /.../ but how did you feel about John?"

You get "And you always felt like John was your brother, right, a brother from another mother, but then there was also a competition between you and then when the band split up your resented John, but now you look back at it and you really loved him, right, that is how you feel I have already decided so just nod?" 

Howard gets good guests. But this thing about him being such an amazing interviewer... come on now people. I also do not agree with people saying he is so knowledgeable. THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE YOUTH TODAY.

All avenues for hearing the band talk (I figure Howard will be mostly focused on Ed and only cares about Ed) is good though. And there are always fun tidbits. Like, someone mentioned Howard being on Eddie about the smoking. YOU DON'T GET THAT ON CBS. And to get some pro-shot live versions of songs is nice.

But a Tiny Desk with them is long overdue. Do that too.
    I would just argue that smart interviewees can successfully navigate Stern's leading questions. 

In the old days, it was psychological for him to lead people to make them feel comfortable enough to admit something strange. Nowadays, I think it's less that, and more just "i always thought you felt this way, you still feel that way right?". Guys like ed can navigate this just fine.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,537
    Is the stern show live on YouTube?  Where can we watch?
    You can listen on the Siriusxm app. Video will be put on the app later as well. They usually post clips later in the day and week. On occasion they might put up the whole interview. If we're lucky this might be like the Bruce interview that went on HBO Max
    I miss igotid88