Options

Dark Matter ALBUM REVIEW by one of the faithful

Hey friends, I've been absorbing dark matter since yesterday and have written a relatively in depth review for the website 13th Floor. Have a read, I expect it might both stimulate and temper excitements! Can't wait for you all to hear the record and to see where the band takes these songs live.

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,041
    Some of this I agree with
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,966
    Overall that sounds pretty positive. In line with most other reviews. Something Special seems to be a divisive type of track. This one sounds like it’s going to be the Buckle Up, Sleeping by Myself track of Dark Matter. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Something Special seems to be a divisive type of track. This one sounds like it’s going to be the Buckle Up, Sleeping by Myself track of Dark Matter. 
    Totally right. I hope some folks end up digging something special, my response to it was so visceral and surprising to me that it made the track seem objectively bad. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong if others enjoy it. I absolutely loved Buckle Up, yet many still hate that track with a passion!!
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,664
    Thanks for your thoughtfulness. (By the way, there's a capital T on "Therefore" in the middle of a sentence.)
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,387
    Overall that sounds pretty positive. In line with most other reviews. Something Special seems to be a divisive type of track. This one sounds like it’s going to be the Buckle Up, Sleeping by Myself track of Dark Matter. 
    You're right that those tracks are divisive, but it sounds to me more like "Something Special" is thematically in line with "Just Breathe," "Future Days," "The End" and "Sirens"-- emotional Ed songs about his wife and/or daughters that feel out of place on Pearl Jam albums (less so for "Sirens," in my opinion). (It's not clear to me whether "Sleeping By Myself" is autobiographical in the same way as those songs.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    I think my problem with the album although only heard it once was it has no flow. First 4 or 5 can't recall but those first ones fit together then it becomes all over the place and I know I've said it before so apologies like the last few records it has some that left me thinking how did that make the cut. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Spunkie said:
    Thanks for your thoughtfulness. (By the way, there's a capital T on "Therefore" in the middle of a sentence.)

Thereby.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,966
    BF25394 said:
    You're right that those tracks are divisive, but it sounds to me more like "Something Special" is thematically in line with "Just Breathe," "Future Days," "The End" and "Sirens"-- emotional Ed songs about his wife and/or daughters that feel out of place on Pearl Jam albums (less so for "Sirens," in my opinion). (It's not clear to me whether "Sleeping By Myself" is autobiographical in the same way as those songs.)
    Yes, I forgot about Future Days in particular. Think that one is quite divisive. I don’t mind Just Breathe and The End. But Future Days…😏

I was thinking Sleeping was quite divisive, not so much for its theme, but more so it place on a PJ album. Considering it was already an Ed solo track that got re-recorded into a PJ tune. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 359
    SBM had no business on LB; its inclusion, along with a closer the likes of future days, took the album to a low point in the band’s career in terms of quality. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    dwjmu84 said:
    SBM had no business on LB; its inclusion, along with a closer the likes of future days, took the album to a low point in the band’s career in terms of quality. 
    I agree re:SBM.  It's a cheesier version of an already released song.  Weird choice.  Can't wait to hear the album myself, but I suspect there will be a few skipped songs for me after time, usually is.  And that bit of Something Special we heard on that tweet....I bet it gets to skip status faster than most.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,040
    Further evidence that Something Special will not be one of my favorites 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,221
    if its justt 1 or 2 that arent up to par, thats pretty good...always find it funny thats what constantly gets focused on here

always 

Some of the greatest albums of all time have 1 or 2 or more whatever songs
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 261
    CROJAM95 said:
    if its justt 1 or 2 that arent up to par, thats pretty good...always find it funny thats what constantly gets focused on here

always 

Some of the greatest albums of all time have 1 or 2 or more whatever songs
    This!
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,522
    If upon releasing their 12th album, only 1 or 2 songs on it are going to be questionable to some fans, it sounds to me like they did a good job. There aren't a lot of artists that can match that. Looking forward to hearing them in a few weeks.
  • Options
    I say 4 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 261
    I say 4 
    Which ones?
  • Options
    I say 4 
    Which four in your opinion?

Also, if I recall, you had one listen to this record, which was highly affected by the atmosphere.  I think you even admitted that there was quite a bit you could not remember.  Having said that, which songs did you not enjoy on first "listen"?
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 629
    7 out of 11 on the twelfth album is a pretty good percentage 
  • Options
    dwjmu84 said:
    I say 4 
    Which four in your opinion?

Also, if I recall, you had one listen to this record, which was highly affected by the atmosphere.  I think you even admitted that there was quite a bit you could not remember.  Having said that, which songs did you not enjoy on first "listen"?
    Agreed but as I was listening I recall thinking I didn't like the second half . Scared of fear. React respond. I liked instantly. 
    Dark matter I love. Waiting for stevie was ok. But I didn't like something special and the last song. Inbetween were not for me is all I thought. They maybe for you or others but I was led to believe it's a heavy album and apart from 5 songs. It's not. Only in my opinion. Of course 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Nice review! 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I think my problem with the album although only heard it once was it has no flow. First 4 or 5 can't recall but those first ones fit together then it becomes all over the place and I know I've said it before so apologies like the last few records it has some that left me thinking how did that make the cut. 
    So what I'm hearing is that you're looking for more of an even flow...?
  • Options
    I am
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited April 1
    I am
    I've heard Flomax can be helpful, although side effects may include your thoughts arriving like butterflies...
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,108
    edited April 1
    So Something Special is this albums The End lyric style-wise
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Am I the only person who just feels like the “cool” kids are not gonna like Something Special even if it’s a good song- catchy melody, light hearted, fun.  The writer must not be a parent.  
  • Options
    I can see enjoying SS as a new parent (of a girl) when 5 years ago I would have not identified with it in any sense. 
  • Options
    So Something Special is this albums The End lyric-wise
    No it's a sentimental love of a child and letting them go into the world kind of thing. As a parent I get it but as a pearl jam song. It doesn't fit
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    BF25394 said:
    I am
    I've heard Flomax can be helpful, although side effects may include your thoughts arriving like butterflies...
    Well when I'm happy I do look insane 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    Am I the only person who just feels like the “cool” kids are not gonna like Something Special even if it’s a good song- catchy melody, light hearted, fun.  The writer must not be a parent.  
    You are the only one cutting people down for their opinions on a subjective matter on a subject that hasn't even happened yet, that's for sure.

I am a parent, will wait to listen to the whole song but that bit on twitter/X wasn't doing it for me at all.  That said, I love Buckle up, Just Breathe, and even the End.  So who the hells knows.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dead end frienddead end friend Posts: 11
    edited April 1
    I'm a parent of a little girl and generally do not try to gatekeep music or hold on too tightly to my idealized version of a band, just describing my experience and what came up for me.

I usually love eddie's more sentimental songs. Future days, sirens being among my absolute faves. Even I was suprised by how strong my negative reaction was to the song, like it actually fucked with my experience of the record for a little there. I'm sure others may find something to love in the tune and have a different experience to me. For what it's worth I was a big fan of Buckle Up too, I know it's not an Ed tune but it was very divisive.

Post edited by dead end friend on