Options

Dark Matter ALBUM REVIEW by one of the faithful

2»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 507
    I thought even in those Trubador clips that Something Special didn’t seem to fit very well with the rest of the clips.  Of course it’s hard to judge anything based on those clips but I really liked everything else I was hearing.  I’ll give SS a chance but this gives me even more caution.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,163
    So Something Special is this albums The End lyric-wise
    I’ll have to wait and see on SS. As for The End, I always read that as terribly sad versus cheesy. Really paints a picture of someone in deep regret with the end near.
  • Options
    The song was musically written by Josh Klingoffer or at least the nuts and bolts of it. This might be a reason why it doesn’t “fit.” That being said he’s been on tour with them for 3 years and helped fill in for Cameron so I feel like he deserves to have some writing credits on this record. I’ve never expected to like every song on any album but I’m all for bands trying something a little different. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. The great thing about music is beauty is in the eye of the beholder. How cool is that? 
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,547
    edited April 1
    The song was musically written by Josh Klingoffer or at least the nuts and bolts of it. This might be a reason why it doesn’t “fit.” That being said he’s been on tour with them for 3 years and helped fill in for Cameron so I feel like he deserves to have some writing credits on this record. I’ve never expected to like every song on any album but I’m all for bands trying something a little different. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. The great thing about music is beauty is in the eye of the beholder. How cool is that? 
    I appreciate Josh's contributions on tour but as a songwriting member of the band?, ehh.  Didn't dig the RHCP albums with him either.  I'll try to reserve judgement until I actually hear the song though, haha. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,111
    No it's a sentimental love of a child and letting them go into the world kind of thing. As a parent I get it but as a pearl jam song. It doesn't fit
    Hopefully it works for a cat owner too
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 507
    I’ll have to wait and see on SS. As for The End, I always read that as terribly sad versus cheesy. Really paints a picture of someone in deep regret with the end near.
    I’ve never had a problem with The End.  Heard Ed play it at a solo show months before it was released on the album and you could feel the emotion in it. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,389
    edited April 1
    BF25394 said:
    I am
    I've heard Flomax can be helpful, although side effects may include your thoughts arriving like butterflies...
    Well when I'm happy I do look insane 
    So that's why you always have that dark grin...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,389
    No it's a sentimental love of a child and letting them go into the world kind of thing. As a parent I get it but as a pearl jam song. It doesn't fit
    I have deep love for my cats and there are a couple of Pearl Jam songs that resonate with me on that level, but I never let them go into the world. It wouldn't be safe for them or for the local fauna.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,894
    There's something special about ignoring reviews and deciding on an album for yourself.....

see what I did there? 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,163
    Definitely works for the fur children as well I’m sure! We sure love/treat our dog like a child!
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 632
    I appreciate Josh's contributions on tour but as a songwriting member of the band?, ehh.  Didn't dig the RHCP albums with him either.  I'll try to reserve judgement until I actually hear the song though, haha. 
    I actually liked Josh’s Peppers albums much better than anything they’ve done with John since By The Way (including the 2 from last year) but to each their own.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,985
    There’s a lot of “I have a certain idea of what I want from Pearl Jam” around here lately, and I don’t think that’s the best way to go into a new album. Seems like a sure fire way to be let down. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    There’s a lot of “I have a certain idea of what I want from Pearl Jam” around here lately, and I don’t think that’s the best way to go into a new album. Seems like a sure fire way to be let down. 
    Porch trend this past month. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 359
    The right way to go into an album release is any way you want to. The trend around here, if any, has been one of prescription of attitudes. 

If someone goes in with expectations,
    let them. Maybe they’ll be let down. Maybe not. Why waste your mental energy convincing them to think something different?

Everyone is entitled to their own experience in this process.

I certainly have some hopes for certain elements I would love to be present on this record. We will see what happens….
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,956
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Just came back here to say that my initial impressions of the album lyrics being "ordinary" is starting to shift and there have been some excellent lines jumping out to me: 

"They say at the end, everything will be okay. If it's not okay, well then it ain't the end".

• Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 359
    Just came back here to say that my initial impressions of the album lyrics being "ordinary" is starting to shift and there have been some excellent lines jumping out to me: 

"They say at the end, everything will be okay. If it's not okay, well then it ain't the end".

Which tracks are standing out at this stage and why? 

Thanks!