Options

Stone Gossard interview with SPIN 3/19/24

13»

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,466
    I liked that 2023 sprinkled Gigaton in but wasn’t really Gigaton focused.  2022 was more Gigaton focused.

I am a bit concerned this year won’t have much bandwidth for variety, with their determination to play the new shit, shorter sets, and the staples like Even Flow and Alive.  

On a given night there’s still nowhere I’d rather be than at a PJ show, and it’s still so cool they are still around, but it’s going to be a little disappointing compared to what it could be this year.  
    This is nothing new.  Go back to previous album tours before the shows became super long.  In 2000, they were playing up to 8 songs from Binaural at some of the shows with shorter setlists.  They were great shows.  These will be great shows.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,289
    kmcmanus said:
    It is absolutely insane to be talking about how “disappointing” it’s “going to be” at the shows in March. Also insane to decide the album will suck based on 20 seconds of Bill Raftery calls as I’ve seen more than once.
    I don’t understand this fanbase at all sometimes.
    I didn’t realize preferring a more balanced setlist was the definition of insanity.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 636
    kmcmanus said:
    It is absolutely insane to be talking about how “disappointing” it’s “going to be” at the shows in March. Also insane to decide the album will suck based on 20 seconds of Bill Raftery calls as I’ve seen more than once.
    I didn’t realize preferring a more balanced setlist was the definition of insanity.  
    I didn’t realize you had a time machine to know what the setlists are months ahead of time
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 636
    kmcmanus said:
    You underestimate the power of a going from a pessimistic point of view baseline to later being severely pleasantly surprised  
    If I needed that level of mental gymnastics to enjoy a show I think that would tell me that I don’t actually like the band in question that much.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,925
    kmcmanus said:
    First time here?
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,695
    kmcmanus said:
    X1000. I agree. It’s getting old with all the negativity on here. We have a new album and tour, be excited and grateful.
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:

“Most things I worry about never happen anyway.”  - Tom Petty 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,289
    kmcmanus said:
    kmcmanus said:
    I didn’t realize you had a time machine to know what the setlists are months ahead of time
    No time machine.  Just the ability to read the article.  Thanks 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 587
    kmcmanus said:
    The clip of SS I heard didn’t have Raftery on it. Still not a fan of those 20 seconds. I don’t recall anyone saying the ‘whole album’ is going to suck because of it. Seems you’re kinda doing the same over conflation here.
  • Options
    What if Bill Rafferty is on the studio version?!? Kind of like Phil Rizzuto on Paradise by the Dashboard Light.  Epic!

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,098
    kmcmanus said:
    The clip of SS I heard didn’t have Raftery on it. Still not a fan of those 20 seconds. I don’t recall anyone saying the ‘whole album’ is going to suck because of it. Seems you’re kinda doing the same over conflation here.
    The Bill Raftery thing was a joke I made but the larger point was that the song was playing alongside additional production 
  • Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 495
    deb1211 said:
    Stone mentioned SOLAT and Breath about waiting for Stevie really got me excited
    Same!
    That's kind of nuts to compare it to two of the greatest songs PJ have ever written. Like everything else, i'll wait and see and never get my hopes up.

FYI it's not crazy or hopeful when a band says their newest album is their 'best' or 'favorite', etc. I'd think EVERY artist would think that about their newest material. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,118
    And what artist doesn't try to sell his/her new product. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,271
    Great article! I was already excited for the new album- now I’m very, very excited! The best line of the article has to be, when talking about dark matter, “Ed’s lyric is very timely, even though I don’t know exactly what it means.” That might be the most stone statement I’ve ever heard 🤣
  • Options
    domjon77domjon77 Posts: 24
    deb1211 said:
    Same!
    That's kind of nuts to compare it to two of the greatest songs PJ have ever written. Like everything else, i'll wait and see and never get my hopes up.

FYI it's not crazy or hopeful when a band says their newest album is their 'best' or 'favorite', etc. I'd think EVERY artist would think that about their newest material. 
    Let's not get ahead of our skis to much here. For the sake of accuracy, it was the interviewer was the one who compared Waiting For Stevie to Breath/SOLAT, not Stone.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,201
    domjon77 said:
    deb1211 said:
    Same!

Let's not get ahead of our skis to much here. For the sake of accuracy, it was the interviewer was the one who compared Waiting For Stevie to Breath/SOLAT, not Stone.
    True, and we've had similar types of comparisons be way off base (Sirens/Black), but this still excites me that someone was reminded of SOLAT/Breath by a new song. So taken with a grain of salt.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    spankyMP said:
    domjon77 said:
    deb1211 said:
    Same!

True, and we've had similar types of comparisons be way off base (Sirens/Black), but this still excites me that someone was reminded of SOLAT/Breath by a new song. So taken with a grain of salt.
    What's weirdest about this statement are that SOLAT and Breath really aren't much alike other than the actual production on both songs.  Both end with a solo, both get less busy instrumentally during the verses, and both were released at the same time, but outside of those few things, these 2 songs don't have a lot in common.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,411
    spankyMP said:
    domjon77 said:
    deb1211 said:
    Same!

What's weirdest about this statement are that SOLAT and Breath really aren't much alike other than the actual production on both songs.  Both end with a solo, both get less busy instrumentally during the verses, and both were released at the same time, but outside of those few things, these 2 songs don't have a lot in common.
    Yeah, "Breath" is midtempo with a lot of space in the arrangement, whereas "State of Love and Trust" is uptempo with very little space.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 98
    I believe with two night stands in several cities that means we won't get more than 4-5 Dark Matter songs a night. If they play 8 each night, then you'll lose a lot of variety. Pearl Jam know that a large chunk of their fans is traveling to see them on several shows, so variety is key. At this point they should assume that at least 20% of the concert goers will go to see both shows in a city. Especially due to the history of varied setlists. 
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 353
    If Dark Matter is better than Gigaton, then I'll be fine hearing 6-8 songs from it at the one show I am seeing. If not, I'll be kind of bummed. I like hearing bands play their new stuff. Not that into nostalgia acts. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    love the love in this interview. i love the hype and stone is feeling it!
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,836
    Awesome read. He seems pretty jazzed up about some of the songs. Others were somewhat PC responses. I really appreciate the openness with which he discussed the shorter shows. Of course, we all know and understand it but it's still nice to hear the honest response.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,968
    Stone’s interested to know where Waiting for Stevie may end up in the pantheon of favourites for PJ fans. Well Stone you have one here. What a banger! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,753
    MD190661 said:
    If Dark Matter is better than Gigaton, then I'll be fine hearing 6-8 songs from it at the one show I am seeing. If not, I'll be kind of bummed. I like hearing bands play their new stuff. Not that into nostalgia acts. 
    I’m with you on this. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.