Options

Dark Matter on Amazon and Apple Music

Comments

• Options
    demetrios said:
    igotid88 said:
    It will have to beat the 49,000 Green Day sold its first week. And Green Day promotes. And are probably more popular. At least we're hearing more about Dark Matter than we did with Dance 

Oh it would be so sweet if Pearl Jam went live on SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio day's before the album release for a wicked jam. That would get some promotion hits.
    promotion for whom

They should go on Tiny Desk and stuff like that. To have people hear and see them. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,834
    Haijay said:
    I have a lot to say, but this site on my phone is screwed still. Maybe in a day or two it will be back to normal. It’s an interesting conversation. 
    In the meantime, tell me how long you've been a fan, how many shows have you seen, and what makes you stay a member of the fan club? 
    Nothing ill-will intended, just curious. I have been around from the beginning, joined in 2006, and have seen them 20 times. 
    Been a fan since 1992. Saw my first show in 1994. Met Ed, Jeff and Dave A. after that show. Have seen them 70 times not counting the ten shows I just got tickets to today. I've seen them play every song from every studio album live (not including ones they've never played) except "Bugs" (which, honestly, is not missed). I've seen "Even Flow" 59 times (and don't ever need to see it again). My ideal show would be half the set from the new album, 25 percent deep cuts from prior albums and 25 percent "hits" (and only because that's what other people would need). I'd be perfectly happy with a set with nothing from Ten and lots of stuff from the 21st century.

Understand that my comments about their popularity are objective, not subjective. I'm not commenting on how much I like them. I love them. They are my favorite band, and have been my favorite band since 1993. How much do I love them? Here's some perspective. My second-favorite band is Wilco. How much do I love Wilco? I first saw them in June 1995, when they had no following. I've seen them 52 times, and I've seen Jeff Tweedy 25 additional times. So I really love Wilco. But not as much as I love Pearl Jam. I wish the wider listening audience still felt this way, but I recognize that it doesn't, and I'm O.K. with it. 1993 to 1995 was a moment in time.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    It will have to beat the 49,000 Green Day sold its first week. And Green Day promotes. And are probably more popular. At least we're hearing more about Dark Matter than we did with Dance 
    Green Day sold 39,000 units in its first week. The 49,000 is the total number of equivalent units when streaming is factored in.

I expect Dark Matter to sell a comparable number of units to Saviors, but get streamed a little bit less often. In 2020, Gigaton sold 57,000 units and had only 5,000 additional equivalent units.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,540
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Green Day sold 39,000 units in its first week. The 49,000 is the total number of equivalent units when streaming is factored in.

I expect Dark Matter to sell a comparable number of units to Saviors, but get streamed a little bit less often. In 2020, Gigaton sold 57,000 units and had only 5,000 additional equivalent units.
    Yes. I was counting everything. #4 debut on the Billboard 200
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    igotid88 said:

Oh it would be so sweet if Pearl Jam went live on SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio day's before the album release for a wicked jam. That would get some promotion hits.
    While that would be nice it won't reach the casual fan. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,698
    igotid88 said:
    demetrios said:
    igotid88 said:

While that would be nice it won't reach the casual fan. 

Gotcha.
  • Options
    edited February 23
    Dark Matter single Billboard
    Alternative Airplay #18
    Hot Rock Digital Song Sales #2
    Hot Hard Rock Songs #3
    Alternative Digital Song Sales #4
    Rock Digital Song Sales #8
    Rock & Alternative Airplay #6
    Mainstream Rock Airplay #17
    Hot Rock and Alternative Songs #46

Not sure what days they start counting. Since this came out on a Tuesday and not on Friday when most new singles come out.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Alternative Airplay #18
    Hot Hard Rock Songs #3

Not sure what days they start counting. Since this came out on a Tuesday and not on Friday when most new singles come out.
    I started a separate thread on this yesterday. I actually made a joke in a different thread about the fact that it had been 24 hours and you hadn't replied to it yet.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Alternative Airplay #18
    Hot Hard Rock Songs #3

I started a separate thread on this yesterday. I actually made a joke in a different thread about the fact that it had been 24 hours and you hadn't replied to it yet.
    I'm used to it coming out on Thursday. Forgot it comes on Wednesday now
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I get it on Tuesdays. It was delayed until Wednesday this week because of the federal holiday on Monday. I'll update the other thread each Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited February 23
    igotid88 said:
    Alternative Airplay #18
    Hot Hard Rock Songs #3

To compare with DOTC first week on the char
    Dance of the Clairvoyants debuts on the Billboard charts
    It debuted on a Wednesday
    Hot Rock Songs #7
    Rock Airplay #9
    Rock Digital Single Sales #2
    Mainstream Rock Songs #24
    Alternative Songs #27
    Triple A #24
    Lyricfind.us #7

Some of these categories they merged or got rid of
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Superbowl didn't help Usher that much. Kanye outsold/streamed him. Sucks that Kanye will probably outsell/stream in his 10th week than Dark Matter will in its 1st
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Superbowl didn't help Usher that much. Kanye outsold/streamed him. Sucks that Kanye will probably outsell/stream in his 10th week than Dark Matter will in its 1st
    Kanye will definitely outstream them in his Week 10/their Week 1, but he won't outsell them. But don't worry about him being No. 1 in Week 10. Taylor will take care of that. And Ariana Grande and Beyonce will also have recent releases that should be outperforming Kanye at that point.

The question is what would Usher have sold but for that giant commercial watched by over 100 million Americans. You know I don't put much stock in televised performances to move the needle very much, but the Super Bowl Halftime Show is the exception.
  • Options
    https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/pearl-jam-dark-matter-number-1-rock-alternative-airplay-chart-1235613849/

In addition to its airplay, the song drew 946,000 official U.S. streams and sold 1,000 downloads Feb. 9-15
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    That's good. That means it picked up airplay, although it's worth noting that the tracking week goes from Friday through Thursday, so the first week only counted three days and the second week is counting seven days. Still, this means the song is drawing a positive listener response at radio.

Or it could just be that you're calling every rock station in the country every two hours to request it...
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    That's good. That means it picked up airplay, although it's worth noting that the tracking week goes from Friday through Thursday, so the first week only counted three days and the second week is counting seven days. Still, this means the song is drawing a positive listener response at radio.

Or it could just be that you're calling every rock station in the country every two hours to request it...
    I wish that worked
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

I wish that worked
    They would definitely be responsive to a genuine wave of listener response, but not so much if it's just you doing different voices every time you call.
  • Options
    I forgot how many paid and free streams count as 1 equivalent. I think it was 150 for paid and 375 for unpaid. Let's just say for example all 946,000 were from paid streams. That's just over 6k equivalent 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I forgot how many paid and free streams count as 1 equivalent. I think it was 150 for paid and 375 for unpaid. Let's just say for example all 946,000 were from paid streams. That's just over 6k equivalent 
    That's for the album chart, and it's 1,250 and 3,750.

The Rock & Alternative Airplay chart is only tracking radio airplay.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    That's for the album chart, and it's 1,250 and 3,750.

The Rock & Alternative Airplay chart is only tracking radio airplay.
    I know that's for airplay. But in the article it said it was streamed 946,000 times in all platforms. So then it's 125 for 1 song and 375 free. They do count singles. If 10 songs get streamed 1250 times that's 1 sale for the album. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Yes, they count singles, but it's not ten songs 125 times each. An album will get credit even if it's only one song that's getting the lion's share of the streams. In this case-- if Dark Matter were commercially available as an album-- 1,250 paid (or 3750 free) streams of the title track would translate to one SEA (streaming equivalent album) unit. So even if all 946,000 of the streams were paid (which we know they aren't; the official visualizer has 844,000 streams on YouTube, albeit not all of those in the seven-day period we're talking about here), that would actually translate to about 757 SEA units. That's bupkis, and the real number is certainly less than that since all of the streams are not actually paid streams. This is why Dark Matter's first-week chart placement is going to be driven almost entirely by physical album sales plus digital downloads, and then it is going to plummet after that.

Unfortunately, this formula is so broken, it's hard to put much stock in it even as I continue to pay attention to it. Think about it: if you buy the album when it comes out, it will get credited for chart purposes as one full sale that will go towards its placement on that week's chart. But that's it. It doesn't matter how many times you consume that album going forward; it will never count toward the chart again because, obviously, Luminate has no way of tracking how many times you spin your CD or LP. But the streaming will always be counted in subsequen t weeks. Each stream counts for less but, if we're trying to track weekly consumption, we're grossly undercounting consumption of album-oriented artists beyond the first week. The sale counts for more, but it only affects the chart for one week. Thus, a pop or hip-hop album that stays in the top ten for weeks is not necessarily being consumed more than a rock or country album that debuts in the top ten and then drops like a rock in subsequent weeks.

This is without even getting into the arbitrariness of the 1,250 paid/3,750 free scheme.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Yes, they count singles, but it's not ten songs 125 times each. An album will get credit even if it's only one song that's getting the lion's share of the streams. In this case-- if Dark Matter were commercially available as an album-- 1,250 paid (or 3750 free) streams of the title track would translate to one SEA (streaming equivalent album) unit. So even if all 946,000 of the streams were paid (which we know they aren't; the official visualizer has 844,000 streams on YouTube, albeit not all of those in the seven-day period we're talking about here), that would actually translate to about 757 SEA units. That's bupkis, and the real number is certainly less than that since all of the streams are not actually paid streams. This is why Dark Matter's first-week chart placement is going to be driven almost entirely by physical album sales plus digital downloads, and then it is going to plummet after that.

Unfortunately, this formula is so broken, it's hard to put much stock in it even as I continue to pay attention to it. Think about it: if you buy the album when it comes out, it will get credited for chart purposes as one full sale that will go towards its placement on that week's chart. But that's it. It doesn't matter how many times you consume that album going forward; it will never count toward the chart again because, obviously, Luminate has no way of tracking how many times you spin your CD or LP. But the streaming will always be counted in subsequen t weeks. Each stream counts for less but, if we're trying to track weekly consumption, we're grossly undercounting consumption of album-oriented artists beyond the first week. The sale counts for more, but it only affects the chart for one week. Thus, a pop or hip-hop album that stays in the top ten for weeks is not necessarily being consumed more than a rock or country album that debuts in the top ten and then drops like a rock in subsequent weeks.

This is without even getting into the arbitrariness of the 1,250 paid/3,750 free scheme.
    Yes I know. But singles still get certified albeit differently these days. So I'm just talking about Dark Matter the single. Not that it's ever going to be certified. But to be honest it's hard to know how they count songs like Jeremy (Gold the old way) should be multiplatinum by now. But instead Just Breathe,  Daughter,  and Elderly Woman are platinum.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Pink Floyd is releasing a Dark Side clear vinyl on April 19th. So that's more competition 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Pink Floyd is releasing a Dark Side clear vinyl on April 19th. So that's more competition 
    So it's The Dark Side of the Moon, but there won't be a dark side of the record?
  • Options
    So obviously DM is doing better than DOTC. But since I was keeping track of what DOTC did on Spotify and YouTube after 10 days. DOTC had 2.5 million plays and 1.24 million views on youtube to DM 2.497 million plays and 846,000 views
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    So obviously DM is doing better than DOTC. But since I was keeping track of what DOTC did on Spotify and YouTube after 10 days. DOTC had 2.5 million plays and 1.24 million views on youtube to DM 2.497 million plays and 846,000 views
    Sounds like "Dark Matter" is doing better at radio, but slightly worse at streaming. This doesn't surprise me as "Dark Matter" is a much more straightforward fit on rock radio than "Dance of the Clairvoyants." The new song is also a relatively tight three-and-a-half minutes whereas its predecessor was more like 4:45. (Was there a radio edit of "Dance"? I don't remember.)
  • Options
    Thought the music video would be out by now
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,698
    igotid88 said:
    Thought the music video would be out by now

Guessing by next week we will see it up on YouTube. The single has being played a lot here locally. Very happy. :)