Options

Exclusive PJ listening party West Hollywood 1.31.24 - Confirmed DARK MATTER and wish I was there

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,487
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    mshnayder said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:
     “One has a chorus particularly tailor-made for chanting and fist-pumping.“

ooof. Def not something I want to hear. Maybe this was ill phrased? I hope. 
    I mean yeah, if you want to go all the way negative in the blink of an eye. If they mean the way fists get pumping and we all chant yeah during Alive and you don't want to hear it then there isn't much left to be said.
    Uhhh. That part during alive ISNT the chorus bub. It’s an extension they’ve cultivated while Mike solos. It’s awesome, but that’s not the vibe I get from this line in the article. 

I get, “you can’t dennnnyyy me” chanting and cowbell. That makes me want to vomit. I hope I’m wrong!
    my god you are the worst kind of person
    I’m the worst kind of person for expressing an opinion and speculating that a certain feature of the album may not be to my liking? That’s mature. 

Last I understood, this band and the community were all a part of as their following is supportive of free thinking and free speech. 

Nice to see you’re aligned with the band’s ideals. 
    Hey… it could be worse.  You could have the Juggler guy stalking you.  
    I suppose.

what I’ve learned today is that this community has some really, really judgmental folks who are easily threatened when you express and opinion they don’t like. I’m glad I’ve never run into or conversed with any of them in 28 years of fandom and going to shows. 

Some of these dolts’ heads will explode when I give my opinions on the album after it’s released. I can’t wait to watch it 😂

• Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 632
    dwjmu84 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    mshnayder said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:

I mean yeah, if you want to go all the way negative in the blink of an eye. If they mean the way fists get pumping and we all chant yeah during Alive and you don't want to hear it then there isn't much left to be said.
    Uhhh. That part during alive ISNT the chorus bub. It’s an extension they’ve cultivated while Mike solos. It’s awesome, but that’s not the vibe I get from this line in the article. 

I get, “you can’t dennnnyyy me” chanting and cowbell. That makes me want to vomit. I hope I’m wrong!
    I’m the worst kind of person for expressing an opinion and speculating that a certain feature of the album may not be to my liking? That’s mature. 

Last I understood, this band and the community were all a part of as their following is supportive of free thinking and free speech. 

Dude you’ve been peeing in everybody’s corn flakes in multiple threads all day. This is an exciting and happy day for most of us, maybe chill on the negative vibes for a second.
    You will get plenty of opportunities to complain about the album after you actually, y’know, hear it.
    Or here’s a thought. Learn how to read opinions that differ from yours and move on without internalizing. You seem very defensive/thin skinned. 

It’s clear you didn’t carefully read my earlier post where I said, and I quote, “if the listening party DOES happen, then that’s great” (paraphrasing).

I’m going to leave it at that. If my opinions continue to ruffle your feathers than it’s obvious I’m living rent free in your head (and that’s not even my goal).

Hope the Dark Matter is amazing. If it’s got some weaknesses in my opinion (bc of course art is subjective) I will feel free to express that. 

Take care!
    Pot meet kettle…
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,372
    🤣
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,578
    dwjmu84 said:
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:

I feel you about the “you can’t deny me” I hope that’s not what we will get. 
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    artforbwartforbw 60647 Posts: 131
    Album comes out in April. Not sure if that was already stated on one of the pages here.
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 632
    artforbw said:
    Album comes out in April. Not sure if that was already stated on one of the pages here.
    Was this confirmed at listening party?
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,824
    artforbw said:
    Before or after tax season? 
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 365
    dwjmu84 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    mshnayder said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Dude you’ve been peeing in everybody’s corn flakes in multiple threads all day. This is an exciting and happy day for most of us, maybe chill on the negative vibes for a second.
    You will get plenty of opportunities to complain about the album after you actually, y’know, hear it.
    Or here’s a thought. Learn how to read opinions that differ from yours and move on without internalizing. You seem very defensive/thin skinned. 

It’s clear you didn’t carefully read my earlier post where I said, and I quote, “if the listening party DOES happen, then that’s great” (paraphrasing).

I’m going to leave it at that. If my opinions continue to ruffle your feathers than it’s obvious I’m living rent free in your head (and that’s not even my goal).

Hope the Dark Matter is amazing. If it’s got some weaknesses in my opinion (bc of course art is subjective) I will feel free to express that. 

Take care!
    Pot meet kettle…
    Not even close. I did not take to defensiveness and judgement. Look how all these posters went after me when I simply expressed an opinion that triggered them. The difference between me calling that out and them initiating it is stark.

Carry on.
  • Options
    SOLAT319 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:

I feel you about the “you can’t deny me” I hope that’s not what we will get. 
    Yes. Exactly. Fingers crossed. I think the scrapped album from 18 that would have included CDM was an inflection point for the guys. They gave us something pretty decent instead (Gigaton). To me that record offered hope for a return to some of their best form. Here’s hoping Dark Matter actually gets us there (Yield, NC, Binaural esque). 
  • Options

• Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,372
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    mshnayder said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Take care!
    Pot meet kettle…
    Not even close. I did not take to defensiveness and judgement. Look how all these posters went after me when I simply expressed an opinion that triggered them. The difference between me calling that out and them initiating it is stark.

Carry on.
    Do you think any of them “went after” you after you started the name calling and aggressive responses?

I don’t think your opinion or over the top negativity got you in any hot water, I think it was your tone in response to others disagreeing or attempting to dampen your negativity that did it.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 862
    I'm excited for the drums eh. PJ is not Soundgarden but they have a beast in that engine room who has probably been kept on a leash for that reason. But if they've evolved and/or found a way to incorporate Matt's prog DNA and be rocking as fuck ooh that gets me excited. All the gushing about Matt is really from his Soundgarden work (I don't see any interviews asking about Evacuation TTLW You Are etc) so I'd love for there to be a Pearl Jam album that blows everyone away by bringing focus to it.

Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    mshnayder said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Take care!
    Pot meet kettle…

Carry on.
    Do you think any of them “went after” you after you started the name calling and aggressive responses?

I don’t think your opinion or over the top negativity got you in any hot water, I think it was your tone in response to others disagreeing or attempting to dampen your negativity that did it.
    Revisionist history. Go back and read again. From the very moment I doubted that the album was going to be played (and I was wrong but also said I could see how that was a possibility), people in the thread painted me as negative, told me “not to take them down with them” etc. I mean what kind of childish hyperbole is that? So I expressed an opinion that causes some unease and cognitive dissonance in their heads. Grow up folks. It’s like they were little kids who didn’t want to hear that Santa is not real. Sure, in the end those who guessed (bc there was no confirmation mind you) that the record would be played today were right. It’s akin to heads/tails. Binary outcome. But they were emotionally invested in the outcome, whereas I was not. My assessment of the likelihood it would be played was purely based on evidence (or lack thereof). 

Hey, I am glad I was wrong on the call. This was kept well under wraps and only one flyer with few details slipped out on the socials, but it easily could have been a fake. That’s the info we all had. Can’t blame me for being skeptical, though apparently here that’s frowned upon. 
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    artforbw said:
    April 5th has been the date floating around for a while now.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,976
    edited February 7
    deb1211 said:
    I'm so excited for this album
    I'm less excited now. 
    Edit: Changed my thinking. Also, to remove word "Elite".
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,974
    Dang, this thread is a dumpster fire. Someone stop. 

On a completely unrelated note, this album sounds like something I am going to love. Can't wait.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,357

On a completely unrelated note, this album sounds like something I am going to love. Can't wait.
    Yeah, can't escape petty bickering even when there's something exciting to talk about. I'm pumped to hear this album. I like the name floating around. Hoping for some solid rockers and moody midtempo jams.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,312

Agree on both counts
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 903
    cancel the album. No one is happy. No tour. Straight to bed. 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,567
    Spunkie said:
    deb1211 said:
    I'm less excited now. Elite parties like this is a goof move imo.
    Not everyone there was elite. It's basically for people in the industry and press. Some fans were invited 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,547
    SM187650 said:
    I just want to say to Juggler. If there is no sax on this record at all then you are not very cool man. Not cool at all. 
    A guy can dream, can't he? haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SM187650 said:
    I just want to say to Juggler. If there is no sax on this record at all then you are not very cool man. Not cool at all. 
    A guy can dream, can't he? haha
    Yes, I read Gigaton thread and saw you hoping back then, too. 💓🎷🤣. That made me wonder how long you've been at this cute side-bar.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,912
    artforbw said:
    April 5th has been the date floating around for a while now.
    To be fair, I threw that date out a while ago (as speculation) based on Eclipse being the proposed title I had been told in June (because the total solar eclipse visible from a wide swath of the U.S. is taking place on April 8). I don't know if anyone else who suggested April 5 was basing it on anything or just repeating my surmise.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,912

Argh. I had a pretty good feeling that if I went over there today, I would have been able to hear this from the back alley. I used to live 1,000 feet from the Troubadour. If I still lived there, it would have been a no-brainer. But for some reason, I decided it wasn't worth risking a 20-minute drive over there without actual knowledge that the event was taking place (which I only sort of had as of early this afternoon). Kicking myself.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,537
    Album to be played @ Latte Larry’s in Spite of Mocha Joe’s attempt to secure the rights

free scones

you heard it here 1st
  • Options
    edited February 1
    igotid88 said:
    Spunkie said:
    deb1211 said:
    I'm less excited now. Elite parties like this is a goof move imo.
    Not everyone there was elite. It's basically for people in the industry and press. Some fans were invited 
    Well it reminded me of Eddie Murphy laughing at the kid that has no ice cream he just dropped on the ground! 

You dropped your ice-cream. You dropped your ice cream. You do not get some. You're Mom's on welfare! I guess I'm of the - take your carrot and shove it variety. Teasing the poor die-hard fans.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,745
    CROJAM95 said:
    Album to be played @ Latte Larry’s in Spite of Mocha Joe’s attempt to secure the rights

free scones

you heard it here 1st
    Haha. I hope the coffee is hot and the tables don’t wabble 
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 903
    edited February 1
    CROJAM95 said:

free scones

you heard it here 1st
    Haha. I hope the coffee is hot and the tables don’t wabble 
    Will be on fire when you get there. Pull over for emergency vehicles 
    cue music
  • Options
    NiktoNikto Melbourne, Australia Posts: 134
    Green Day had listening parties for their new album around the world on the same day, it had free giveaways including free T-shirts, posters, pins etc.  There were even 2 listening parties at 2 different indie record stores in two different states in Australia.  Would be cool if PJ did something like this. 

Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • Options
    solacesolace Posts: 114
    edited February 1
    dwjmu84 said:
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:

You sound fun