Middle East ......

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,194
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    All things considered, I'm surprised to see this topic getting little traction today.  I guess we're not comfortable talking about it.  I'll admit I'm not.  Things are really getting out of hand, and things this big just don't remain regional.  I hope things settle down over there, rather that go the other way.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    brianlux said:
    All things considered, I'm surprised to see this topic getting little traction today.  I guess we're not comfortable talking about it.  I'll admit I'm not.  Things are really getting out of hand, and things this big just don't remain regional.  I hope things settle down over there, rather that go the other way.
    I have no idea what to say and can't fully understand what I think/feel about the situation. I mean its wild that so many from a terrorist organization just living normal lives in Lebanon....and it's wild to think that a nation (Iran) would fire missiles in response to attacks on terrorists....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,214
    brianlux said:
    I have no idea what to say and can't fully understand what I think/feel about the situation. I mean its wild that so many from a terrorist organization just living normal lives in Lebanon....and it's wild to think that a nation (Iran) would fire missiles in response to attacks on terrorists....
    This really is nothing new.  Haven't Iran been flying missiles for years?  Isn't that why we gave Israel the Patriots and Iron Dome anti missile defenses?
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,547
    edited October 2
    brianlux said:
    I have no idea what to say and can't fully understand what I think/feel about the situation. I mean it’s hewild that so many from a terrorist organization just living normal lives in Lebanon....and it's wild to think that a nation (Iran) would fire missiles in response to attacks on terrorists....

I think you are not acknowledging the Hamas invasion of Israel occurred because of Iran. And now the genocide claimers are taking a break before resuming their support for Iran. As was pointed out last October, the Hamas invasion killing Israeli women and children - during a cease fire and relative peace - was about Iran wanting a regional conflict to interrupt the Saudi/ Israeli peace discussions. And yesterday the proof was delivered.

So after a year of whataboutisms and obfuscation (and for some reason Israel interrupted their genocide campaign to attack a country with 45% non Muslims and very few Palestinians). This has been about Israel defending its right to exist. If it were any other American ally, that right would be unquestioned by Americans.

the million dollar question is why is Iran allowed to maintain a sixty thousand troop force in southern Lebanon? 

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,634
    brianlux said:
    I have no idea what to say and can't fully understand what I think/feel about the situation. I mean it’s hewild that so many from a terrorist organization just living normal lives in Lebanon....and it's wild to think that a nation (Iran) would fire missiles in response to attacks on terrorists....

I think you are not acknowledging the Hamas invasion of Israel occurred because of Iran. And now the genocide claimers are taking a break before resuming their support for Iran. As was pointed out last October, the Hamas invasion killing Israeli women and children - during a cease fire and relative peace - was about Iran wanting a regional conflict to interrupt the Saudi/ Israeli peace discussions. And yesterday the proof was delivered.

So after a year of whataboutisms and obfuscation (and for some reason Israel interrupted their genocide campaign to attack a country with 45% non Muslims and very few Palestinians). This has been about Israel defending its right to exist. If it were any other American ally, that right would be unquestioned by Americans.

the million dollar question is why is Iran allowed to maintain a sixty thousand troop force in southern Lebanon? 

What evidence do you have of an Israeli/Saudi peace agreement discussion? Link please. The $4 billion dollar question is whether Israel would treat the Palestinians and its neighbours the way it does in the absence of US tax dollars. But sure, assign blame to only one side and act as if Israel bears no responsibility for anything in that region for pick your amount of time.

Your first sentence has no bearing in reality.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,360
    brianlux said:
    This really is nothing new.  Haven't Iran been flying missiles for years?  Isn't that why we gave Israel the Patriots and Iron Dome anti missile defenses?
    I understand that overall the issue isn;t new...still wild.  And it is in a current state that is very dangerous and that is new....well new again.
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:

What evidence do you have of an Israeli/Saudi peace agreement discussion? Link please. The $4 billion dollar question is whether Israel would treat the Palestinians and its neighbours the way it does in the absence of US tax dollars. But sure, assign blame to only one side and act as if Israel bears no responsibility for anything in that region for pick your amount of time.

Your comment is an embarrassment.

Iran funding of Hamas-

WASHINGTON — Today, U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) imposed its third round of sanctions targeting Hamas-affiliated individuals and entities since the October 7 Hamas terrorist attacks on Israel. This action designates key Hamas officials and the mechanisms by which Iran provides support to Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ). Today’s designations are coordinated with action by the U.K. and are aimed at protecting the international financial system from abuse by Hamas and their enablers. The U.S. Department of State is concurrently designating a leader of PIJ’s military wing.

“The United States will continue to work with our partners, including the U.K., to deny Hamas the ability to raise and use funds to carry out its atrocities,” said Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen. “Hamas’s actions have caused immense suffering and shown that terrorism does not occur in isolation. Together with our partners we are decisively moving to degrade Hamas’s financial infrastructure, cut them off from outside funding, and block the new funding channels they seek to finance their heinous acts.”

This action builds on OFAC’s recent October 27 and October 18 designations of Hamas operatives and financial facilitators, as well as its May 2022 designation of officials and companies involved in managing Hamas’s secret international investment portfolio. These persons are being designated pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, as amended, which targets terrorist groups and their supporters.

IRANIAN SUPPORT TO PALESTINIAN ISLAMIC JIHAD

Iranian support, primarily through its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), has enabled Hamas’s and PIJ’s terrorist activities, to include the transfer of hundreds of millions of dollars in financial assistance and the furnishing of both weapons and operational training.

reuters-

WASHINGTON, Dec 7 (Reuters) - There is still willingness among the key players of the U.S.-led talks to normalize ties between Saudi Arabia and Israel to restart the process even after the devastating Oct. 7 attack by Hamas, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State nominee Kurt Campbell said on Thursday.

"I think we can be carefully encouraged by some of the discussions that we've had to date that indicate that there still is a willingness among the key players to restart this process and continue it," Campbell told senators during his confirmation hearing at the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

"I think it is understandable that at this moment, some of those discussions are quiet and they are difficult," Campbell said, adding that Washington's ultimate goal would be to "entrench Israel diplomatically" in the region.

Saudi Arabia put U.S.-backed plans to normalize ties with Israel on ice, sources familiar with Riyadh's thinking told Reuters nearly two months ago, as the war between Palestinian militants Hamas and Israeli forces escalated.

brianlux said:

Iran funding of Hamas-

WASHINGTON — Today, U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) imposed its third round of sanctions targeting Hamas-affiliated individuals and entities since the October 7 Hamas terrorist attacks on Israel. This action designates key Hamas officials and the mechanisms by which Iran provides support to Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ). Today’s designations are coordinated with action by the U.K. and are aimed at protecting the international financial system from abuse by Hamas and their enablers. The U.S. Department of State is concurrently designating a leader of PIJ’s military wing.

“The United States will continue to work with our partners, including the U.K., to deny Hamas the ability to raise and use funds to carry out its atrocities,” said Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen. “Hamas’s actions have caused immense suffering and shown that terrorism does not occur in isolation. Together with our partners we are decisively moving to degrade Hamas’s financial infrastructure, cut them off from outside funding, and block the new funding channels they seek to finance their heinous acts.”

This action builds on OFAC’s recent October 27 and October 18 designations of Hamas operatives and financial facilitators, as well as its May 2022 designation of officials and companies involved in managing Hamas’s secret international investment portfolio. These persons are being designated pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, as amended, which targets terrorist groups and their supporters.

Iranian support, primarily through its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), has enabled Hamas’s and PIJ’s terrorist activities, to include the transfer of hundreds of millions of dollars in financial assistance and the furnishing of both weapons and operational training.

reuters-

WASHINGTON, Dec 7 (Reuters) - There is still willingness among the key players of the U.S.-led talks to normalize ties between Saudi Arabia and Israel to restart the process even after the devastating Oct. 7 attack by Hamas, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State nominee Kurt Campbell said on Thursday.

"I think we can be carefully encouraged by some of the discussions that we've had to date that indicate that there still is a willingness among the key players to restart this process and continue it," Campbell told senators during his confirmation hearing at the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

"I think it is understandable that at this moment, some of those discussions are quiet and they are difficult," Campbell said, adding that Washington's ultimate goal would be to "entrench Israel diplomatically" in the region.

Saudi Arabia put U.S.-backed plans to normalize ties with Israel on ice, sources familiar with Riyadh's thinking told Reuters nearly two months ago, as the war between Palestinian militants Hamas and Israeli forces escalated.

You didn’t answer the question. Nice deflection and apologist. For a backer of an apartheid state that loves to throw their “history” of 2000 years around, you seem to ignore the most recent history, unless it begins on 10/07/2023.

So, again, link to this Saudi/israeli peace deal Hamas was told by Iran to torpedo. Interesting you didn’t link to your sources for context. Typical.

A key demand by Saudi is that Israel recognize Palestine and create a two state solution with 1967 borders, of which we know from decades of Israeli occupation and history, that Israel and Bibi in particular, will never allow to happen. Funny you put your faith in Saudi Arabia, 9/11 and all. Good luck with that.

Meanwhile, since December, Israel has invaded Lebanon. With US taxpayers’ money.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    I'm no expert on the middle east, but Israel seems out of control and drunk on military power. I don't know what can be done, but this is getting worse daily.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Thanks Bibi. And then Israel killed 7 members of World Central Kitchen in a drone strike on their vehicle, including an American. From WaPo:

While personally committed to supporting Israel’s goal of obliterating Hamas, Biden had repeatedly stressed to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu the need to adhere to international norms requiring protection of civilians and provision of humanitarian aid — guidelines that Israel had just as often shown itself unable or unwilling to follow.

Biden’s overriding concern was preventing an all-out conflagration in the region. Yet as he sought a path for long-term peace and stability for Israel, Biden was undermined at every turn by Netanyahu’s conduct of the Gaza war, his refusal to consider establishment of a Palestinian state, and the territorial ambitions of his right-wing government in the occupied territories.

Brilliantati©
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    brianlux said:

Yeah, it really is hard to comprehend the on-going strife over there.  It's been endless war for ages.  The big concern is that it could escalate to nuclear war.  It's an absolute powder keg. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Iran funding of Hamas-

reuters-

You didn’t answer the question. Nice deflection and apologist. For a backer of an apartheid state that loves to throw their “history” of 2000 years around, you seem to ignore the most recent history, unless it begins on 10/07/2023.

So, again, link to this Saudi/israeli peace deal Hamas was told by Iran to torpedo. Interesting you didn’t link to your sources for context. Typical.

A key demand by Saudi is that Israel recognize Palestine and create a two state solution with 1967 borders, of which we know from decades of Israeli occupation and history, that Israel and Bibi in particular, will never allow to happen. Funny you put your faith in Saudi Arabia, 9/11 and all. Good luck with that.

Meanwhile, since December, Israel has invaded Lebanon. With US taxpayers’ money.

Highlight a phrase and select “look up” it’s easy to find a source of an article.
    brianlux said:

Iran funding of Hamas-

reuters-

Highlight a phrase and select “look up” it’s easy to find a source of an article.
    Disingenuous.

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:

Iran funding of Hamas-

reuters-

Disingenuous.

still waiting on an answer as to who we rely on to report the dead in gaza....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Iran funding of Hamas-

reuters-

Disingenuous.

still waiting on an answer as to who we rely on to report the dead in gaza....
    I posted several, one of which was a UN source but you know, that “swamp of antisemitic bile.”

Brilliantati©

Brilliantati©
  • yeah, but if you criticize him, you're anti-semetic. when will he be stopped?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,162
    yeah, but if you criticize him, you're anti-semetic. when will he be stopped?
    Not only him Hugh..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • 23scidoo said:
    Not only him Hugh..
    I don't monitor this thread, but from what I've seen, I don't see anyone criticizing jews in general, just Israel's government. that's not antisemitism anymore than criticizing the white house is anti american. 

www.headstonesband.com

23scidoo said:
    Not only him Hugh..
    I don't monitor this thread, but from what I've seen, I don't see anyone criticizing jews in general, just Israel's government. that's not antisemitism anymore than criticizing the white house is anti american. 
    There are probably over 70 million Republicans who would disagree with that comment, if a republican happened to be president
    edited October 17
    So Israel saves the life of the hamas hard liner dude like 15-20 years ago and he repays them by killing women and children, 1500 of them last year. And yet Israel was supposed to reach a peace deal with this guy?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,957
    Stay away from this topic. There is no right or wrong. Just a struggle none of us in the US will ever fully comprehend. Too many forces at work. But do not fuck with Israel. They will fight back.
  • 23scidoo said:
    Not only him Hugh..
    There are probably over 70 million Republicans who would disagree with that comment, if a republican happened to be president
    how is that relevant? you and I both know that's bullshit. so...why?

www.headstonesband.com

1500 killed now?  all reporting I've seen states 1200. when were the additional 300 found?

When will Israel’s blood lust be quenched? Anyone?

Brilliantati©
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Posts: 2,586
    When will Israel’s blood lust be quenched? Anyone?
    About the same time Hamas and Iran and Hezbollah (and so many others) are sated. So when both sides are completely erased from the planet.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • When will Israel’s blood lust be quenched? Anyone?
    when we stop fucking funding their military.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."