Middle East ......

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Posts: 2,586
    Tell us again about that only “democracy” in the Middle East.

The Israeli military has in recent weeks used increasingly militarized tactics in the occupied West Bank. Around 700 people have been killed in the West Bank and east Jerusalem since October 7, including more than 150 children, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/20/middleeast/idf-investigating-soldiers-throwing-bodies-off-west-bank-roof-intl/index.html

May need to worry more about this democracy in a few weeks. Been awhile since commenting here, and I see the anti Israel fervor is as strong as ever. I certainly hope there is a peaceful solution to this war soon.

The problem for our democracy is Americans on both sides of this conflict historically vote for democrats.  I see the vitriol is still there, at this point deservedly so. If there are a block of voters just as pissed off (probably are) Harris could be in real trouble. 
    Is the anti-Israeli fervor misguided? Wrong? Occurring in a vacuum? Unjustified? Please explain.

If the typical left leaners reply to my comment is this, trump will be the next president.
    So the left should just look the other way as an apartheid state continues to commit atrocities and war crimes? With US tax payer dollars? Israel needs its fucking chain yanked. But remember, if POOTWH loses, it’ll be the Jews’ fault.
    Again, will you ever yank Hamas’ chain?
    Will you ever provide the link to your “raped and beheaded babies?” Their chain’s been yanked. 
    I don’t recall you ever being critical of Hamas specifically hiding behind the citizens who are ostensibly their responsibility to protect?

This article doesn’t mention infants so you got your “gotcha” but this article shows us who the animals are here.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/12/06/middleeast/rape-sexual-violence-hamas-israel-what-we-know-intl

Guess you missed the reporting on the rape of Palestinian men in Israeli prisons, committed by Israeli IDF and prison personnel. Or the vast numbers of Palestinian children held in Israeli prisons without charges? But sure keep blaming one side for this shitshow. How do you explain the atrocities being committed by Israel in the West Bank since 10/7? When the US gives Hamas $4+ billion in economic and military aid, then we can discuss “yanking Hamas’s chain.” Keep believing the hype.

Degrees of barbarianism doesn’t negate the existence of the barbarian.
    You prove yourself a jackass when you accuse me of being one-sided like you. I have stated numerous times that both sides need to be held accountable but you seem to choose to ignore that fact.

I guess this proves that nuance is dead.
    Point me to a post of yours criticizing Israel. Maybe I missed it?
    You obviously did, several times.

To reiterate, Israel has some very serious questions to answer about their response to the barbarity of October 7, when there had been a ceasefire in place.

As noted a couple days ago, if Israel is responsible for the pager and walkie-talkie attack, then that should be considered some sort of war crime, or maybe even terrorism as someone else suggested here.

I would hope my position is now sufficiently clear to you.
    “If?” Are you fucking kidding us? “If?”

And “if” it is determined to your satisfaction that Israel is responsible for a “war crime” or “terrorism”, what should be the consequences? 
    I leave that up to the experts who would presumably preside over the court. Could you provide the proof that Israel was responsible for the pager bombs? I don’t deny they’re the most likely suspect but we can’t throw out due process.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    hahah "jackass". civil as always. 
    Sez the guy with an extremely fluid relationship with the facts. Thanks for your insightful contribution to the discussion?

23scidoo said:
    At least 41.182 Palestinians has killed since 7 October..
    How many of those were Hamas deliberately hiding behind? This is far from cut-and-dried.
    I'm sure the families are understanding of your little asterisk. 
    How many of the 41,000 were combatants?  Hamas makes no distinction. 
    27,180 were women and children, if you believe the reporting that 2/3 were such, leaving 14,002 Hamas combatants. 
    Those are the numbers Hamas has released, correct? Personally I need those numbers independently verified before I can accept them. If those aren’t numbers from Hamas I would genuinely be interested in your source.

Where does the doctor who was holding Israelis for Hamas fall in their count?
    Take your pick.

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupied-palestinian-territory/gaza-war-un-revises-death-toll-women-and-children

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/longform/2023/10/9/israel-hamas-war-in-maps-and-charts-live-tracker

Thank you,  sadly the best source seems to be Wikipedia. Two of the others use Hamas' numbers and the other is from May.

I don't think either of my questions has been answered to my own satisfaction,  and I'm not sure they truly can be answered but I believe they are extremely relevant to this conversation.
    Why do you doubt the Ministry of Health numbers? What would your own satisfaction consist of? Bodies lined up in neat rows with 3 independent outside organizations counting and comparing notes?

I’d fathom it’s much higher than we know or realize based on the widespread flattening of buildings.

And the Wikipedia citation cites the UN’s Office of Humanitarian Affairs.
    I've read enough of your posts to know you're smart and informed,  so surely you must be aware that the Ministry of Health that you trust is part of the Hamas government. A government who has openly stated they want as many civilian casualties of their own citizens to achieve their so-called political goals.  That is why I can't trust that organization's numbers. 

I honestly don't know what would completely satisfy me on this because no war ever yields a definitive body count, and I'm not going to guess at the actual body count.

As I said earlier this is far from cut-and-dried, despite efforts on both sides to make it so.
    Do you hold the Israeli government to the same standard? Or do you just “trust” them, because?
    I’ve stated several times in at least a couple threads that, yes, the Israeli government and military absolutely do have many serious questions to answer about their own actions. But so does Hamas, and as the instigators of this latest violence I personally start with them (there was a [fragile] ceasefire in place on October 6. It’s an inconvenient fact to some but it’s a fact.).
    In reply to you no less.

• 23scidoo said:
    How many of those were Hamas deliberately hiding behind? This is far from cut-and-dried.
    27,180 were women and children, if you believe the reporting that 2/3 were such, leaving 14,002 Hamas combatants. 
    Those are the numbers Hamas has released, correct? Personally I need those numbers independently verified before I can accept them. If those aren’t numbers from Hamas I would genuinely be interested in your source.

Take your pick.

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupied-palestinian-territory/gaza-war-un-revises-death-toll-women-and-children

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/longform/2023/10/9/israel-hamas-war-in-maps-and-charts-live-tracker

Thank you,  sadly the best source seems to be Wikipedia. Two of the others use Hamas' numbers and the other is from May.

I don't think either of my questions has been answered to my own satisfaction,  and I'm not sure they truly can be answered but I believe they are extremely relevant to this conversation.
    Why do you doubt the Ministry of Health numbers? What would your own satisfaction consist of? Bodies lined up in neat rows with 3 independent outside organizations counting and comparing notes?

I’d fathom it’s much higher than we know or realize based on the widespread flattening of buildings.

I've read enough of your posts to know you're smart and informed,  so surely you must be aware that the Ministry of Health that you trust is part of the Hamas government. A government who has openly stated they want as many civilian casualties of their own citizens to achieve their so-called political goals.  That is why I can't trust that organization's numbers. 

I honestly don't know what would completely satisfy me on this because no war ever yields a definitive body count, and I'm not going to guess at the actual body count.

As I said earlier this is far from cut-and-dried, despite efforts on both sides to make it so.
    Do you hold the Israeli government to the same standard? Or do you just “trust” them, because?
    I’ve stated several times in at least a couple threads that, yes, the Israeli government and military absolutely do have many serious questions to answer about their own actions. But so does Hamas, and as the instigators of this latest violence I personally start with them (there was a [fragile] ceasefire in place on October 6. It’s an inconvenient fact to some but it’s a fact.).
    In reply to you no less.
    Answering questions is hardly a condemnation. But you do you.

It’s also a fact that Israel has treated the Palestinians and specifically those in Gaza as residents of an apartheid state since at least 2006 when Hamas was elected. Seeing how all Israelis , except the ultra orthodox, are required to serve in the IDF, doesn’t that make Israeli “civilians” legitimate targets? Or is that only when it’s a nuclear armed “state” subsidized to $4 billion + US dollars per year to be excused for considering all Palestinians the enemy?

Maybe you can link to “the couple other threads” where you’ve been critical, particularly equally critical, of the Israeli state and its government? Like a link to the propaganda you spread. Be careful, because if you do and a certain poster sees it, you’ll be labeled an anti-Semite.

Again, you post as if Israel bears no responsibility whatsoever for what occurred on 10/7 and why, particularly with Bibi’s roll and leadership, if you can call it that. This conflict, for you, began, on 10/7. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,195
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    23scidoo said:

Take your pick.

In reply to you no less.

It’s also a fact that Israel has treated the Palestinians and specifically those in Gaza as residents of an apartheid state since at least 2006 when Hamas was elected. Seeing how all Israelis , except the ultra orthodox, are required to serve in the IDF, doesn’t that make Israeli “civilians” legitimate targets? Or is that only when it’s a nuclear armed “state” subsidized to $4 billion + US dollars per year to be excused for considering all Palestinians the enemy?

Maybe you can link to “the couple other threads” where you’ve been critical, particularly equally critical, of the Israeli state and its government? Like a link to the propaganda you spread. Be careful, because if you do and a certain poster sees it, you’ll be labeled an anti-Semite.

Again, you post as if Israel bears no responsibility whatsoever for what occurred on 10/7 and why, particularly with Bibi’s roll and leadership, if you can call it that. This conflict, for you, began, on 10/7. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Wow.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,634
    edited September 22
    23scidoo said:

Take your pick.

In reply to you no less.

Wow.
    Thanks for the insightful contribution to the conversation and 
    your condemnation of Israel’s planned actions for Gaza City.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Nah, couldn’t have been Israel. Not at all. We’ll have to wait for the trail and a rigorous defense before passing judgement. You know, due process and all.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-planted-explosives-hezbollahs-taiwan-made-pagers-say-sources-2024-09-18/

Brilliantati©
    Nah, couldn’t have been Israel. Not at all. We’ll have to wait for the trail and a rigorous defense before passing judgement. You know, due process and all.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-planted-explosives-hezbollahs-taiwan-made-pagers-say-sources-2024-09-18/
    This article contains no proof,  just assertions. 

• Nah, couldn’t have been Israel. Not at all. We’ll have to wait for the trail and a rigorous defense before passing judgement. You know, due process and all.

This article contains no proof,  just assertions. 
    You let us know when representatives of Israel show up in a court, any court that will suffice for you, and mount their vigorous defense of the "assertions" made in the article.

Brilliantati©
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,547
    You think americans are more worried in this election about a foreign war than their own economy/rights?

Polls are extremely tight. My comment was about the division among democrats and it was supportive of finding a peaceful solution. Hal’s reply was divisive, because it was interested in assigning blame.

because Americans on both sides of this issue historically vote democrat, if voters on either side get angry with actions from Biden/Harris, it could only decrease democratic turnout. One percent or less could decide swing states. For some voters, this is a key issue. Trump is outperforming his polling from 2020 and 2016. This is one of those reasons.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,162
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    Any idea who planted the exploding pagers and walkie talkies?

Brilliantati©
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    They're waiting for unwavering support of their covert mass terrorist attack. It's ok, the US has done much worse so we'll just admire their work from afar and play dumb for now when it comes to intelligence in that region. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • hahah "jackass". civil as always. 
    Sez the guy with an extremely fluid relationship with the facts. Thanks for your insightful contribution to the discussion?
    :lol:
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mickeyrat said:
    Any idea on who might be responsible for the exploding pagers and walkie talkies? 

Brilliantati©

hahah "jackass". civil as always. 
    :lol:
    So when was a brick thrown at Trudeau’s head? Yeah, fucking hilarious.

Do you intentionally grossly misconstrue the facts (because this wasn’t the first instance) or you honestly remember events so inaccurately? Again you’ll avoid my question as to whether you do it intentionally (disinformation) or not (misinformation), however with the Trudeau example I remember you being an active participant in that discussion so you should have known better. Fucking hilarious.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6835722

Hugh, at this point I honestly feel your every post to me now amounts to nothing more than trolling, because you just snipe at me and as I observed don’t add anything of substance to the discussion. All you add is your derision.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Posts: 36,679
    edited September 25
    trudeau's every move isn't my entire life, so yes, I mis-recalled it. brick, gravel, who gives a shit. it was 3 years ago. the point still stands. your hypocrisy is showing again because you're so blinded by your partisanship. I'm sure your entire view of the incident would have been completely different had the rock(s) been a bit bigger. haha
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

trudeau's every move isn't my entire life, so yes, I mis-recalled it. brick, gravel, who gives a shit. it was 3 years ago. the point still stands. your hypocrisy is showing again because you're so blinded by your partisanship. I'm sure your entire view of the incident would have been completely different had the rock(s) been a bit bigger. haha
    What partisanship in this thread? I’m literally saying both sides need to be held to account.

I tried to look back and as best I could see you misremembered my stance and I didn’t justify the gravel tossing. But that’s my fault somehow that your memory sucks and you talk down to people because you’ve got your shit wrong. So you slandered (or libeled, whatever) by grossly misrepresenting me and my views, and you seem to be justifying that, nice.

I was trying to change the tone of my posting here but people like you and Halifax won’t let me try to change so I’m done with AMT because of the childishness. It’s not a winner-takes-all thinking that will actually get us through and you prove there’s assholes on both sides who need to be ignored.

• Wow! I’m hurt.

Brilliantati©

• 09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Question about the walkies and beepers that blew up.  I read that they were sold to them 6 months ago.  So in 6 months none of those were carried across a border where bomb sniffing dogs or machinery used for that sort of detection found any of these devices for 6 months?

Anyone find that odd?
  • Brandon should announce on November 6th in a press conference that the administration is suspending all aid to Israel and redirecting it to Ukraine, and that this will be a policy of the US until there is a serious commitment to peace by both parties in both regions or the new administration takes office. Then follow up with it.

Watch head spins. Around the world. Fuck you bibi.

Brilliantati©

• mickeyrat said:
    Big plot twist.  If Israel has the right to exist then Palestine would be it's own country/state and people could have passports and leave if they wanted.