Options

*** Chicago, IL 2 Fanviews Here 9/7/23 ***

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    So much bliss this morning! Love to see it! Can’t wait for the bootlegs! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,916
    PJNB said:
    Loved this show. I have done 4 shows so far this tour and I am so thankful how much they are mixing it up. Amazing night! 

Awesome photos!!!
  • Options
    TREMOR CHRIST
    1996-09.22; 1998-06.14,07.02,07.13,07.14,08.17,08.18; 2000-08.18,08.20,10.11,10.27,10.28; 2003-04.23,04.26,06.18,06.19,06.22; 2004-10.02,10.03,10.05; 2006-05.16,05.17,05.19,05.20,06.23,06.24; 2007-08.05; 2009-08.23,08.24,09.28,10.31; 2010-05.06,05.07; 2011-09.03,09.04; 2013-07.19; 2014-10.01; 2016-04.26,08.20,08.22; 2018-08.18, 08.20; 2022-09.17; 2023-09.05, 09.07; 2024-TBD! 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904
    That is one smokin set list!  Swap 7 oclock with something else and it's pretty near perfection.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Great show and great pair of nights in Chicago!  The sitting songs weren't my preferred selections and I've shared my feelings about 7:00 before (great album track, not great live) ... but then they broke out Tremor Christ and the entire set was straight fire from that point on! 

First Green Disease in 23 shows and I don't get why they don't play it more.  Marker is usually a mess when they play it (is it because they don't play it often, or do they not play it often because it always sounds messy?) but sounded great last night.  Immortality and Black are top 3 PJ songs for me ... Stones cover ... Smile to the folks in back ... I wasn't even disappointed when i found out they cut Leash because Once is a favorite of mine and it sounded great!

These two nights will keep me coming back again and again even with the disappointment of knowing the sets are 24 instead of 30 songs.

Oh and to those complaining about the Chelios thing, it was during the encore break!  It didn't replace any music, just dark silence!
  • Options
    Tremor > E.F. > Green Disease > Inmortality > Marker > Deep > Black > Lukin > Porch

Once > Smile > GARDEN > Street Fighting Man

The entire time I kept yelling like that I Think You Should Leave meme……”what the fuckkkk?!?! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?!”

Garden might have been my personal highlight.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Idea for next United Center show, need to convince the Bulls to retire Dennis’ number and announce that during intermission.  I know he played for multiple other teams (and rivals at that-aka Bad Boys), but his stint during the second championship trilogy puts him there.  All these years later, they still sell his jersey number in the official Bulls store in multiple color variants…shows he made an impact.  

How about we book that now for 2024?  

Chris Chelios’ moment was well done in my opinion…I’m not a hockey fan, but respect his achievements.  Glad he had his moment to shine last night as well as Given to Fly dedicated to him.  
  • Options
    Discopij said:
    Oh and to those complaining about the Chelios thing, it was during the encore break!  It didn't replace any music, just dark silence!
    I was just saying the same thing in the set list thread. We didn’t lose any songs because of this, and the story about Ed’s Grandma’s house during N1 took up just as much time as this. 
    2007 Lollapalooza
    2009 Chicago I-II
    2013 Wrigley
    2014 Moline, St Paul, Milwaukee
    2015 Chicago (Ed-An Evening Celebrating The Who)
    2016 Wrigley I-II
    2018 Wrigley II
    2022 Chicago II (Ed & Earthlings), Hamilton, Nashville
    2023 Chicago I-II, Austin I-II

2024 Vegas I-II, Wrigley I-II, Philly I-II
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    mcgruff10 said:
    That is one smokin set list!  Swap 7 oclock with something else and it's pretty near perfection.  
    You Are wouldve taken to next level :)
  • Options
    BRWillyBRWilly DC Posts: 70
    After four shows, I think we can say they've figured out how to satisfy with the new, shorter setlist design (and 2 night runs). Going shorter, but with what seems like an emphasis on a significant amount of variety, songs from across the catalogue, fan favorite deep cuts, medium cuts, and hits, only a few select, but extra fun covers, etc. (I know they've always mixed it up but it feels more targeted/noticeable in the shorter set list and 2 show runs, almost feels as fun as the marathon epic shows).

Anyways, few things make me as excited as this band. Just had to say this here and I wasn't even at this one! 
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    Boston 5/17/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philadelphia 4/29/16 (TEN)
    Fenway Park 8/5/16
    Fenway Park 9/4/18
    St. Paul 9/2/23

Ev Solo Providence 6/15/11
  • Options
    I can’t see how anyone can complain about the last 2 shows. They looked amazing from a setlist perspective. People just love to nitpick, it’s sad. The boys are bringing it. Happy for those who got to see these shows live! 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Well, that was fun.
    What an awesome two nights of Pearl Jam. Was only going to go to the first but ended up scoring a ticket to night 2, so 4.5 hours of sleep later here I am back at work but with a big smile on my face.
    Last night really really strong. Maybe not my fave show of all time (hard to beat Merrieweather in 2000, Fenway 1 in 2018, and Spectrum 4 in 2009) but definitely in the top 5. 
    Here's the thing - there were no misses. I keep looking through the setlist to find out which is the best stretch to focus on and damn it if I keep coming back to the entire show being without a setlist hole.
    I loved the opener of Elderly Woman, Daughter, Come Back - and the tribute of Come Back to the parents who lost a child really resonated and gave me all the feels. Coming into Present Tense afterwards really got the crowd going (especially in section 111) and then things took off from there. I will say that the newer songs are falling more flat for me, but that's par for the course. The stretch of Tremor Chris -> Even Flow -> Green Disease -> Deep -> Black -> Lukin -> Porch to close out the first set was unbelievable. And then they didn't let up for the encore either. I could've done without Street Fighting Man, but otherwise it was perfect. I thought I was going to be bummed to get repeats, but Alive and Even Flow are two of their strongest live songs and they play them so well. I truly don't understand why people take bathroom/merch/beer/sitting breaks during Even Flow. I've seen it at every one of my 17 shows and I still love it so much and will fight anyone who disagrees. Mike just really gets to be Mike during those two songs and that makes me happy. 
    The sound was better last night for me than Tuesday, but I think that's location based (111 vs. 319). But I still felt like Mike was turned up way too high in the mix and Stone way too low - which is a damn shame. All the love to Mike and his guitar-god talents - but Stone is truly the backbone of every song and I needed to hear him better.
    I definitely miss the second encore, but they still managed to fit in a ton in 24 songs as opposed to 30. These guys are getting old and need to take it easier to make it through a run of shows, and honestly so are the fans. Sidenote - I've noticed the bathroom lines for the Men's room have been longer than I've ever seen. One guy was asking why, and I'm pretty sure it's because everyone is 40+ and has to go every 2 hours. 
    Urinary concerns aside, this was a perfect 2-show run for me. Got in a few new ones, a bunch of mid-era PJ, and a ton from the early albums. The two shows complemented each other perfectly and were both excellent in their own ways. The Ten fan in me loved N2, but the mid-era fan had me falling for N1. If I had to decide on the better show... why not both? 
    Oh - and the crowd! N2 was awesome for me, but that was where I was (111 vs. 319). Sure, there are people sitting down more than 20 years ago, but there are people in their 60s at these shows so give them a break. The crowds really brought it both nights and I loved my row in section 111 (row 17 shout out!). Bunch of good dudes just super stoked to hear these songs.
    Enjoy the rest of the tour.

Pearl Jam: 9/4/00 7/1/03 5/30/06 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 8/23/09 8/24/09 10/28/09 10/31/09 5/20/10 10/15/13 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18 9/5/23 9/7/23

Eddie Vedder: 6/15/09 6/16/11
  • Options
    bigdeathbigdeath Chicago Posts: 80
    What an amazing show. Killer setlist and the band had so much energy. Was in section 120 and it was so cool to see the band from a different angle. 

Amazing to see Green Disease, Tremor Christ, Present Tense and Marker In The Sand. 

Come Back is one of my least favorite songs and I usually skip it when it comes on. However when they played it last night I got goose bumps and felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up. An hour after the show my Dad passed away. That song will definitely have a new perspective. 
  • Options
    bigdeath said:
    What an amazing show. Killer setlist and the band had so much energy. Was in section 120 and it was so cool to see the band from a different angle. 

Amazing to see Green Disease, Tremor Christ, Present Tense and Marker In The Sand. 

Come Back is one of my least favorite songs and I usually skip it when it comes on. However when they played it last night I got goose bumps and felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up. An hour after the show my Dad passed away. That song will definitely have a new perspective. 
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.
    Pearl Jam: 9/4/00 7/1/03 5/30/06 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 8/23/09 8/24/09 10/28/09 10/31/09 5/20/10 10/15/13 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18 9/5/23 9/7/23

• Options
    Jcanr20Jcanr20 Illinois Posts: 120
    I can’t see how anyone can complain about the last 2 shows. They looked amazing from a setlist perspective. People just love to nitpick, it’s sad. The boys are bringing it. Happy for those who got to see these shows live! 
    I don't see anyone complaining.
  • Options
    Great show. Great set. Chelios stuff was a damper and unnecessary delay. Threw off the whole encore and some of the energy was sapped. 
    I was surprised they did a long thing to honor Rocky Wurtz, but didn't mention Beth Murphy either night.  Questionable.  Mike was the first to pull off the jersey and fling it into the crowd, which I appreciated.  Ed is way over the top in his Chelios (a questionable individual) love.  Was surprised the show ended a fair bit earlier than Tuesday.  I don't know why it did.  Maybe someone else does?
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    bigdeath said:

I am so sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    What a night!  I’m still buzzing.  First GA experience, and it was better than I expected. Super close, fun group around us, made for a fun day-long event.  I will especially miss the hottie that was jamming her ass into my D while dancing.  

7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    ddeschler said:
    Great show. Great set. Chelios stuff was a damper and unnecessary delay. Threw off the whole encore and some of the energy was sapped. 
    I was surprised they did a long thing to honor Rocky Wurtz, but didn't mention Beth Murphy either night.  Questionable.  Mike was the first to pull off the jersey and fling it into the crowd, which I appreciated.  Ed is way over the top in his Chelios (a questionable individual) love.  Was surprised the show ended a fair bit earlier than Tuesday.  I don't know why it did.  Maybe someone else does?
    I was surprised too. But I guess they're sticking to this 24 song setlist. They probably expected the Chelios thing to take longer.
    And I agree about honoring Rocky seeming weird - why take the time to honor a billionaire sports owner? I have no issue with Wirtz, but it was definitely a stark contrast to the Tuesday night honorees - the Evanston family who raised 5 kids in his Grandma's old apartment. It also felt pretty un-heartfelt, as he was reading from a script. The Chelios thing too - very scripted and almost like they had to do it? No clue.
    Regardless, I have no problem filling the encore dead time with this stuff. Just felt more... plastic this time around.

• Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    You Are wouldve taken to next level :)
    This
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Great pictures. Also some great quality videos on YouTube. Wonderful to vicariously live it from a far
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,286
    tschav said:
    Fantastic rail setup for the night, easygoing to get there and a very fun GA crowd around me.

Reminds me why I enjoy seeing this band so much, and while there’s shorter setlists I’ve really liked the approach with touching multiple albums and much less covers.

Also didn’t hurt to see Chelios get some love tonight.

Is that Mitch Mcconell standing next to Eddie?
  • Options
    ddeschler said:
    Yes and the Blackhawks/Rocky had a sexual abuse scandal that was handled terribly as well. There were some in Chicago sports media that felt it tarnished the more recent championships. 
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,002
    Tuesday was great getting 4 songs for the first time but Thursday actually was better as I got the last 3 Tremor PT & Garden on my wish-list plus Green Disease & Deep. WTF when the opening for Garden started I was delirious with joy. They keep taking the music to different levels with mixing it up so much each night. What band & what a crowd 👏 & thank you St Paul & Chicago for making this last minute trip so work while. 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    That show was incredible.  Opening with Small Town really got the crowd into it early.  They played 8/10 songs off of Ten which was sweet.  I love hearing Deep and Garden live.  The Present Tense transition from sitting to rocking was so badass.  Now we wait until their next run.  This was an amazing set of Chicago shows and cant wait until they come back again. Keep on Rocking!
    2009 Chicago
    2013 Wrigley
    2014 St. Louis
    2016 Wrigley 1
    2018 Wrigley 1
    2022 EV Chicago, St. Louis
    2023: Chicago 1,2

"How I choose to feel is how I am, and I feel fucking awesome" - Gleason
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    bigdeath said:

God bless, condolences for your family
  • Options
    Jcanr20 said:
    ddeschler said:
    Yes and the Blackhawks/Rocky had a sexual abuse scandal that was handled terribly as well. There were some in Chicago sports media that felt it tarnished the more recent championships. 
    It blows my mind at how much that scandal was swept under the rug / how little it was talked about on the national stage. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    I got the whole show...

Great show, definitely the best since Camden, maybe the best since Seattle 2 in 2018.  They were really on their game from set list development to the pace of the show, etc.  All around great.

The bad:  I thought the compliments to the Wirtz family that Ed said were not just over the top, but wrong.  To rever Rocky Wirtz that way, after the Kyle Beach situation, the way the franchise handled it and then compounding it with that terrible "town hall" where Rocky tells a reporter that questions about how they handle sexual assault accusations in the future are "none of his business" (and more).  I don't know what Ed was thinking.  I'm not saying he had to rip the family, but he certainly didn't need to lead a cheer in Rocky's name.  
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    jonsey30 said:
    What a night!  I’m still buzzing.  First GA experience, and it was better than I expected. Super close, fun group around us, made for a fun day-long event.  I will especially miss the hottie that was jamming her ass into my D while dancing.  

Totally inappropriate comment. You don't deserve to be in GA. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I got the whole show...

Great show, definitely the best since Camden, maybe the best since Seattle 2 in 2018.  They were really on their game from set list development to the pace of the show, etc.  All around great.

The bad:  I thought the compliments to the Wirtz family that Ed said were not just over the top, but wrong.  To rever Rocky Wirtz that way, after the Kyle Beach situation, the way the franchise handled it and then compounding it with that terrible "town hall" where Rocky tells a reporter that questions about how they handle sexual assault accusations in the future are "none of his business" (and more).  I don't know what Ed was thinking.  I'm not saying he had to rip the family, but he certainly didn't need to lead a cheer in Rocky's name.  
    Exactly. Maybe Ed and the band just aren't familiar with it. I mean Rocky was a huge reason the Hawks became successful when his Dad died but that Beach thing really did a number on him in Chicago. Eddie gets a response because he asks for it, not so much because the fans give a hoot.