Scenes from todays Merch Line(What I saw)

Todays Merch Line was frustrating to say the least. I waited 4 and a half hours. Yes there was the outside issue of only one tablet working for a while but when you have one person fill up a wagon full of merchandise it makes things take longer.

She must have taken 15 minutes. Also when you have people trying on shirts or not knowing what they want it hurts. 

First off they need to turn the Merch trailer 90 degrees. That way it faces everyone so they can see what’s inside. 

Secondly on show days, limits on everything. Need more? Back of the line. Keep things moving. 

Third. Accept cash so if there’s a tech issue you can still rely on that. 

Just my 2 cents

Comments

• Anyone get an extra license plate and is currently in the building? I’ll come find you and happy to pay a little extra… 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • risris said:
    Todays Merch Line was frustrating to say the least. I waited 4 and a half hours. Yes there was the outside issue of only one tablet working for a while but when you have one person fill up a wagon full of merchandise it makes things take longer.

She must have taken 15 minutes. Also when you have people trying on shirts or not knowing what they want it hurts. 

First off they need to turn the Merch trailer 90 degrees. That way it faces everyone so they can see what’s inside. 

Secondly on show days, limits on everything. Need more? Back of the line. Keep things moving. 

Just my 2 cents

definitely would like them to accept cash, incase...  Good suggestions
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    risris said:

Just my 2 cents

This👆
  • Merch lines have gotten increasingly ridiculous.

It reached a peak for me in 2018. I was at the seattle shows and during night 1 went for a bathroom break during the show and the merch line in the concourse wrapped around half the stadium, maybe more. DURING the show.

what's wrong with everyone? 

the day after seattle 2 they had a merch tent, mainly for the setlist shirt from the night before. I watched a guy try to buy maybe ALL of the shirts and promptly got kicked out and refused service at all by guy running everything. haha. 

pj fans need to get a grip on the merch. for real. go enjoy the show. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94

It reached a peak for me in 2018. I was at the seattle shows and during night 1 went for a bathroom break during the show and the merch line in the concourse wrapped around half the stadium, maybe more. DURING the show.

the day after seattle 2 they had a merch tent, mainly for the setlist shirt from the night before. I watched a guy try to buy maybe ALL of the shirts and promptly got kicked out and refused service at all by guy running everything. haha. 

Agreed.  I killed an hour in the inside line before the show and pulled the chute at 8:00 to get some drinks and get settled in.

And at the end of the show, a merch kiosk was still up and I was able to get something I wanted. But I would never miss any of the show just to buy this stuff.  

And in a million years I would never spend 6 hours in 90 degree weather for the opportunity to overpay on these things.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• bicyclejoebicyclejoe Posts: 1,203
    risris said:

Just my 2 cents

SO ... how was the show?
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Curious what time did you get in line?  I'm thinking of going today, but am working and live on the north side so I'm hesitant to drive all the way down to UC and see the line is four hours deep.  TIA
  • jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 323
    Merch lines have gotten increasingly ridiculous.

Same for me. My wife was determined and waiting in line. About 20 minutes before the show, I said no way. The line inside stretched all the way around as far as I could see with like 20 minutes before show time. I just don't get how people would miss the actual show for a shirt or poster that said you were there? Were you actually there if you missed most of the show?

I did wait way too damn long at the merch tent the next day though. It did make the drinks later on at Sub Pop 30 way better, but i'll never do it again. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023
  • akdohe said:
    Curious what time did you get in line?  I'm thinking of going today, but am working and live on the north side so I'm hesitant to drive all the way down to UC and see the line is four hours deep.  TIA
    I got on line at 12:15. I think it’ll be quieter today and smoother. 
  • risris said:

Just my 2 cents

SO ... how was the show?
    Amazing as always

Agreed. The line was moving ok yesterday but when we got to where they split into the Merch trailer line  or to go inside the atrium I chose poorly. I chose the trailer. 

Probably added 1 -1.5 hours to my stay there because of people buying literal wagons of Merch and the technical issue. 

I was expecting up to 2 hours but I was lucky to be around some good people and we made the most of it. 

I’m just glad I had lunch before I got there. 
  • Man people missing the actual show inside for merch? I can’t fathom that. Insane 
  • It's gone way too far already to turn back
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,087
    Merch lines have gotten increasingly ridiculous.

I had the exact same experience at Wrigley N1 2016. When I saw the line (during the set!) on my way to the bathroom, I resolved then and there to never fuck with the merch situations at PJ shows. 

I’ve broken that rule once - at SHN we got there pretty early in the day and spent ~45 minutes on the line (got everything everyone in the group wanted, except the infamous stickers). Last year I went to two shows - MSG and Louisville - spent 0 minutes in merch lines, and was able to get t-shirts and posters for both shows from Lost Dogs at reasonable prices afterwards. But even if I hadn’t been able to get that stuff from the community, I still wouldn’t trade the time I spent those days (watching football with my brother & friends, and drinking bourbon & watching bands, respectively) for yet another Pearl Jam t-shirt and poster. 

Some people seem to genuinely enjoy the merch line experience for its own sake, and that’s cool - I’m not here to yuck anybody’s yum - but I personally just can’t justify it. Especially if it’s taking you away from the show itself. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • risris said:
    akdohe said:
    Curious what time did you get in line?  I'm thinking of going today, but am working and live on the north side so I'm hesitant to drive all the way down to UC and see the line is four hours deep.  TIA
    I got on line at 12:15. I think it’ll be quieter today and smoother. 

Thanks!  Left home at 10:45am, got in line around 11:12am, back home by 12:45pm! Total time in line a little less than an hour.  Best merch line experience so far! 

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Presale online buying option is the way to go. I don’t understand why they don’t do this.  They get 1,000 orders for a shirt, make a thousand shirts.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Presale online buying option is the way to go. I don’t understand why they don’t do this.  They get 1,000 orders for a shirt, make a thousand shirts.  
    Bingo. Absolute sence. Only thing stopping it is them.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,830
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm betting they make a ton on all the things you impulse buy after waiting in line for hours... extra shirts, stickers, buttons, etc. If there was just a line for posters you wouldn't see nearly as long a line for all the other items. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited September 2023
    I agree about the cash. Have all prices include tax (which they might already do? A lot of places used to do that anyway) so it all comes out to an even number. I'd rather just hand over $40 in cash than deal with a credit card in a long line. Keeps everything moving. 
    I'm guessing they are worried about staring the cash, having to deposit it somewhere or just people not knowing how to do basic math and give out correct change?
    I love it when I go somewhere and my total is $19.05, so I hand them a $20 bill and a nickel. Then they look at me so confused, give me the nickel back, then give me 95 cents in change for my twenty. Basic math and concept of calculating change is a real problem. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • mace1229 said:
    I agree about the cash. Have all prices include tax (which they might already do? A lot of places used to do that anyway) so it all comes out to an even number. I'd rather just hand over $40 in cash than deal with a credit card in a long line. Keeps everything moving. 
    I'm guessing they are worried about staring the cash, having to deposit it somewhere or just people not knowing how to do basic math and give out correct change?
    I love it when I go somewhere and my total is $19.05, so I hand them a $20 bill and a nickel. Then they look at me so confused, give me the nickel back, then give me 95 cents in change for my twenty. Basic math and concept of calculating change is a real problem. 
    Agree on the last part.  

• They won’t do the pre-order because they want the long lines so they can post it on social media. 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Imagine this as a ten club paid member benefit.  Guaranteed opportunity to buy a show shirt or poster for shows you have tickets to.  Everyone that’s complained about the annual price would get their value right there.  
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,204
    I'd be willing to pay an additional "handling fee" as well if we could pre order items. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Man people missing the actual show inside for merch? I can’t fathom that. Insane 
    Both Seattle Home shows, Missoula and Boston in 2018.  I went to the bathroom in Missoula and they were wrapped around the stadium arguing about where the line began...
    mcgruff10 said:
    Imagine this as a ten club paid member benefit.  Guaranteed opportunity to buy a show shirt or poster for shows you have tickets to.  Everyone that’s complained about the annual price would get their value right there.  
    That’s a great idea!
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    tschav said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm betting they make a ton on all the things you impulse buy after waiting in line for hours... extra shirts, stickers, buttons, etc. If there was just a line for posters you wouldn't see nearly as long a line for all the other items. 
    Ding ding ding. "I just waited 5 hours, I'm getting everything I can!" If you had the option to just order what you wanted online, you wouldn't buy nearly as much. At least, most people wouldn't. I'm absolutely guilty of this. Did I need stickers and license plates? No, but I bought them. They know what they're doing.
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,087
    mattcoz said:
    tschav said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ding ding ding. "I just waited 5 hours, I'm getting everything I can!" If you had the option to just order what you wanted online, you wouldn't buy nearly as much. At least, most people wouldn't. I'm absolutely guilty of this. Did I need stickers and license plates? No, but I bought them. They know what they're doing.
    I hear this, but I’ve also impulse-bought plenty of shit I don’t need via the online store (funko pops???). And I know I’m not the only one. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • mattcoz said:
    tschav said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Especially if a shirt, sticker and poster would be $30 in shipping.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,930
    edited September 2023
    All these people lined up for merch are likely keeping the price of tickets from costing more money.  You should thank each one of them on the way into the show. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

mattcoz said:
    tschav said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Especially if a shirt, sticker and poster would be $30 in shipping.
    Yeah but I would gladly pay $30 in shipping (which it won't be that high) if it meant I didn't have to stay in line for two hours.  I guess it all depends on what your time is worth.