Austin things to do

Comments

• https://www.milb.com/round-rock

Dazed and Confused Saturday night
  • jwc6160 said:
    jwc6160 said:
    I'm staying at the Moxy on Guadalupe street near west campus. Any good bars/restaurants near there or should we Uber to Rainey street as recommended above. Never been to Austin. Thanks for any tips here. 
    If it were me I would Uber. Depends on your age, but you’re I think around West 26th or so if I remember right. most of those bars are college bars and unless you’re younger that can get kinda old quick.

I stay as far away from 6th myself as I can, but a Sunday or Monday night may not be too crazy. When my friends visit from the east coast they like to go to Rainey St, Moontower saloon (which is 20 mins south) and all those other bars on that Menchaca strip, The White Horse on the East Side, Mean Eyed Cat, Donn’s Depot.

I would recommend Rainey because there’s a lot of options, and the East Side- start at The White Horse and maybe get dinner at Justine’s.  There’s a shit Tom of options over there.

My bbq list would be:

Micklethwait (closed M, T, W)
    Stiles (closed M)
    Interstellar BBQ  (closed M, T)
    Terry Black’s 
    La Bbq (closed M, T)

no way I would wait in line for Franklin’s, but then again I live here and there’s bbq everywhere.  But if you wait, you won’t regret it.  I’m taking my Boston friends to Micklethwait on Sunday.

Hope everyone who visits has a wonderful time! It’s supposed to be a high of like 92, which for us down here is like winter 😃

Thanks. Wish I would have picked a different hotel, but it looks like I'm still close to good options. Any breweries or brew pubs that you would recommend? I'm coming from KC and can eat good bbq whenever so i'm indifferent on that. Thanks again. 
    Oh dude, you’re fine.  Don’t fret the hotel. 

The east side breweries are really the only walkable options, the rest you gotta Uber or use a scooter or something.  Folks I know rent bikes and start at 1)Hold Out and then bike the Town Lake trail to Rainey and go to 2)Stay Put.  Then 3) Zilker/Lazarus.

But I’d say check out Lazarus, Blue Owl,Central Machine Works, Friends & Allies, Oddwood Ales, Batch, and Jester King (but it’s a bit outside of town) for brewery type options.  Then pick based on reviews/location
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • 57Goldtop said:
    Don’t have a car and was planning to walk or Uber.  How’s the Uber situation?  Any issues with walking from a loft on 7th in the area safety wise?  
    I saw self driving cars after the billy strings show in june

the show us basically on UT campus
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,664
    jwc6160 said:
    jwc6160 said:
    I'm staying at the Moxy on Guadalupe street near west campus. Any good bars/restaurants near there or should we Uber to Rainey street as recommended above. Never been to Austin. Thanks for any tips here. 
    If it were me I would Uber. Depends on your age, but you’re I think around West 26th or so if I remember right. most of those bars are college bars and unless you’re younger that can get kinda old quick.

I stay as far away from 6th myself as I can, but a Sunday or Monday night may not be too crazy. When my friends visit from the east coast they like to go to Rainey St, Moontower saloon (which is 20 mins south) and all those other bars on that Menchaca strip, The White Horse on the East Side, Mean Eyed Cat, Donn’s Depot.

I would recommend Rainey because there’s a lot of options, and the East Side- start at The White Horse and maybe get dinner at Justine’s.  There’s a shit Tom of options over there.

My bbq list would be:

Stiles (closed M)
    Terry Black’s 
    La Bbq (closed M, T)

no way I would wait in line for Franklin’s, but then again I live here and there’s bbq everywhere.  But if you wait, you won’t regret it.  I’m taking my Boston friends to Micklethwait on Sunday.

Hope everyone who visits has a wonderful time! It’s supposed to be a high of like 92, which for us down here is like winter 😃

Thanks. Wish I would have picked a different hotel, but it looks like I'm still close to good options. Any breweries or brew pubs that you would recommend? I'm coming from KC and can eat good bbq whenever so i'm indifferent on that. Thanks again. 
    If you like being outside Jester King is a fun visit. Great beer, awesome food, and they have goats!
    Austin Beer Garden is another fun visit.
    There are way too many quality breweries to list in Austin but those 2 are a good time.

Texas bbq is a while different monster. Q39, for example, is really good but the Franklin experience is way different. The wait is worth it.
    People will argue for years over bbq but take advantage of being in Austin if you can. 
  • jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 323
    jwc6160 said:
    jwc6160 said:

My bbq list would be:

Stiles (closed M)
    Terry Black’s 
    La Bbq (closed M, T)

If you like being outside Jester King is a fun visit. Great beer, awesome food, and they have goats!
    Austin Beer Garden is another fun visit.
    There are way too many quality breweries to list in Austin but those 2 are a good time.

Texas bbq is a while different monster. Q39, for example, is really good but the Franklin experience is way different. The wait is worth it.
    People will argue for years over bbq but take advantage of being in Austin if you can. 
    Oh, I'm sure its great and i'd eat the shit out of good TX bbq, but I have zero interest in spending hours in line for something maybe slightly better that what I can get here. Also, Q39 is overpriced and overrated. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    edited September 2023
    It is easy to overthink Austin. Valentinas (real deal holyfield), Torchys and In and Out will suffice  =)
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Get_Right said:
    It is easy to overthink Austin. Valentinas (real deal holyfield), Torchys and In and Out will suffice  =)
    Valentina’s moved to buda 
    Get_Right said:
    Aw bummer!  I will be there in October for the Grand Prix. I am sure you locals stay inside that weekend  ;)  Cannot wait!
  • Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Aw bummer!  I will be there in October for the Grand Prix. I am sure you locals stay inside that weekend  ;)  Cannot wait!
    Awesome awesome! I’ve always wanted to go actually but have’t yet. Hope you have a blast!!
  • Haven't seen anyone mention Magnolia Cafe (get the gingerbread pancakes or the lox and bagel) for breakfast or Bangers for lunch. Both are on my "must stop" list any time I'm in Austin.

Jester King is definitely a must visit if you have the time. Pinthouse Pizza also gets a shout since they also brew their own beer. I've ran into several fellow PJ fans there over the years.

I can't wait to get into town Sunday for both shows. Bringing a buddy along for his first trip to Austin and his first two PJ shows!
  • jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 323
    Thanks for the Austin tips everyone. Is there a good spot near the arena that people plan to hit prior to the show?
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,755
    edited September 2023
    Scholz Garten is the best bet. 

ABGB is a great spot if you don’t want to venture out to Jester King. Pinthouse is great as well. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Dude why hasn’t anyone asked about breakfast tacos? Or at least tacos. Omg people, don’t miss your opp. That’ll be a debate for sure. Migas.  I vote papalote on south Lamar. Followed by Joe’s, El Dorado, and Borrego de Oro.  
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Awesome awesome! I’ve always wanted to go actually but have’t yet. Hope you have a blast!!

Thanks, we always have a blast!
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 940
    Stay far away from 6th Street at night unless you want to get in a brawl or possibly shot. It’s a different crowd hanging out there these days. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    ComeToTX said:
    No reason to hit 6th unless you’re still using a fake ID.  Barton Springs should be on everyone’s list coming from out of town. 

Uchiko and Red Ash are my favorite restaurants in town. Reservations might be hard at this point. 
    Red ash literally caught on fire a few days ago.  Not sure if they’re open right now 

Fuck. My wife and I have been trying to get a reservation there for weeks.  It's a hot spot.  Have you been yet.  I'm afraid I might be having too high of expectations for it.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    jwc6160 said:

Texas Chili Parlor Bar is in that neighborhood...They make a mean mad dog margarita according to word on the street.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • BK221359BK221359 Charleston, SC Posts: 237
    BSully said:
    Lots of great bars on Sixth St.........lots of them.
    The Museum of the Weird is also down that road.
    Terry Black's BBQ, Stubbs BBQ, Coopers BBQ, Ironworks BBQ. All great
    Terry Black’s…do it
    Pensacola, FL - 3-9-1994
    New Orleans, LA - 9-17-1995
    New Orleans, LA - 8-14-2000
    Lexington, KY - 4-26-2016
    Nashville, TN - 6-9-2016 (TMR)
    Bonnaroo - 6-11-2016
    Chicago, IL - 8-18-2018 & 8-20-2018
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9-18-2021
    Ohana Fest - 9-26-2021
    Ohana Fest Encore - 10-1-2021 & 10-2-2021
    static111 said:
    ComeToTX said:
    No reason to hit 6th unless you’re still using a fake ID.  Barton Springs should be on everyone’s list coming from out of town. 

Uchiko and Red Ash are my favorite restaurants in town. Reservations might be hard at this point. 
    Red ash literally caught on fire a few days ago.  Not sure if they’re open right now 

Fuck. My wife and I have been trying to get a reservation there for weeks.  It's a hot spot.  Have you been yet.  I'm afraid I might be having too high of expectations for it.
    We absolutely love it. We have a resy for our anniversary on 10/3, so I hope their back up and running by then 
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    static111 said:
    jwc6160 said:

Texas Chili Parlor Bar is in that neighborhood...They make a mean mad dog margarita according to word on the street.
    Texas Chili Parlor is amazing. I've been to Austin 6 times and I've eaten there on 4 of those trips!
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • JoMa1998JoMa1998 London, Ontario Posts: 35
    We have only been to Austin once but we found great spots on 6th Ave East; Uptown Sports Club, The Grackle, Zilkers Brewery, Lazarus Brewery, Whistlers and a great meal at Sûreté. 

2005.09.12-London
    2006.05.09-Toronto
    2007.08.05-Lolla, Grant Park
    2008.08.13-EV Toronto
    2009.08.21-Toronto; 2009.10.30-Philly
    2010.05.06-Columbus; 2010.05.07-Noblesville
    2011.06.26-EV Detroit; 2011.09.11-Toronto; 2011.09.12-Toronto; 2011.09.15-Hamilton
    2013.07.16-London; 2013.07.19-Wrigley Field
    2014.10.16-Detroit
    2016.05.08-Ottawa; 2016.05.10-Toronto; 2016.05.12-Toronto; 2016.08.20-Wrigley Field; 2016.08.22-Wrigley Field
    2018.08.18-Wrigley Field; 2018.08.20-Wrigley Field
    2021.09.24/25/26-Ohana Festival; 2021.10.01/02-Ohana Encore
    2022.09.03-Ottawa; 2022.09.06-Hamilton; 2022.09.08-Toronto; 2022-09-15 Nashville 
    2023.08.31-Minneapolis; 2023.09.02-Minneapolis; 2023.09.05-Chicago; 2023.09.07-Chicago; 2023.09.29/30/10.01-Ohana Festival
    2024.05.04-Vancouver; 2024.05.06-Vancouver; 2023.05.10-Portland; 2024.08.29-Wrigley Field; 2024.08.31-Wrigley Field

• spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,748
    JoMa1998 said:
    We have only been to Austin once but we found great spots on 6th Ave East; Uptown Sports Club, The Grackle, Zilkers Brewery, Lazarus Brewery, Whistlers and a great meal at Sûreté. 
    Thanks! Staying in that area, so more to add to the list.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • My son wants to go to the Comedy Mothership while are there. We are arriving Monday and leaving Wednesday. I looked at it and there seems to be no point in going. They don't open until 7, at which point we will be at the concert both nights and by the time we get out of the concert and make our way to the club the comedy acts are probably going to be done for the evening., or close to it. I would rather just find a bar somewhere after the show and have a few drinks.
  • static111 said:
    ComeToTX said:

I’ve been a few times but not recently. I had wonderful experiences both times.  My baker is good buddies with their kitchen staff and some
    peeps at Comedor and goes quite a bit, says it’s still awesome, but they’ve had some serious turnover issues which has caused some stumbles here and there
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,332
    Anyone ever been on the river for the bat show?  Considering doing it sunday night.  sounds kind of cool?
  • mr bungle said:
    Anyone ever been on the river for the bat show?  Considering doing it sunday night.  sounds kind of cool?
    Do it! It’s a cool experience. 
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,332
    mr bungle said:
    Thanks! im gonna book it.  seems like something unique to Austin!
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    mr bungle said:
    mr bungle said:
    Thanks! im gonna book it.  seems like something unique to Austin!
    It's very unique. I've watched the bats several times from top of the bridge but heard it was better from the river.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
    static111 said:
    ComeToTX said:

I’ve been a few times but not recently. I had wonderful experiences both times.  My baker is good buddies with their kitchen staff and some
    peeps at Comedor and goes quite a bit, says it’s still awesome, but they’ve had some serious turnover issues which has caused some stumbles here and there
    Just went to Comedor for the first time. So good. That bone marrow!