Austin things to do

Flying in Saturday, leaving Wednesday.  So far I know we're going to do the walking ghost tour where you stop at bars Saturday night.  Sunday will mostly be 6th street.  May go to the weird museum Monday or Tuesday.  We're staying at the A Loft on 7th Street.  Looking for other suggestions of must eat places, things to see and do etc.  Also, are there any cool bars/places to hang within walking distance of the arena?  Something I sent to my gf.

General things for info:

Looks like two cool areas like 6th Street to go see:

A few places that looked good to eat:

https://www.austintexas.org/listings/bangers-sausage-house-and-beer-garden/6661/

BBQ in TX is mandatory lol

I read to go to the bar here and have a drink, particularly an old fashioned:

Darwin Piano Bar:

These places look cool:

Don't know if you'd be interested in this during the day Monday or Tuesday:

We know about this:

Comments

• KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    edited September 2023
    6th Street is great if you are a college student or around that age. Rainey is better for the majority of current PJ fan demographic.

Your barbecue list is missing Franklin's. I've never been there because I refuse to stand in line. 

You should also try the Texas chili parlor. https://g.co/kgs/KKNr9N
    Post edited by KV4053 on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    Franklin's is worth the wait but it kills the day. Austin BBQ is good and you smell it everywhere, but it's expensive and I never quite got all the hype. $50 for a beef rib? No thanks. Never been a fan of 6th street. I go every year for the Grand Prix and end up doing the same thing almost every time. Curras Grill for breakfast (spicy bloody, migas with chorizo). Perlas for Dinner (martinis, oysters and a piece of fish).  We might try a few different places but that is our drill.  We have done Uchi, Ramen Tetsu Ya, Vera Cruz, the Omelettry, Home Slice Pizza and a few other trendy places and they are all good. Austin has a great vibe and great food. Find time to get an In and Out burger!
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,755
    edited September 2023
    No reason to hit 6th unless you’re still using a fake ID.  Barton Springs should be on everyone’s list coming from out of town. 

Uchiko and Red Ash are my favorite restaurants in town. Reservations might be hard at this point. 
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,085
    ComeToTX said:
    Reservations might be hard at this point. 
    I'm assuming everyone else visiting from out of town will be in merch lines so I'll just walk in and fit any seat. 
  • Curious on safety on walking from Moody Center to Sheraton on 10th/Red River, and maybe from there to 6th st?
  • dmbolpdmbolp Posts: 1,287
    You can pre-order Franklin BBQ and not wait in line; looks like everything is still available for TUE 9/19!  Have to order at least 5 pounds, so at least $150, but if you have a crew...

https://preorder.franklinbbq.com/menu

Edit: SUN 9/17 & WED 9/20 everything also available (closed on Mondays).  Have done it multiple times; it's worth it
    jsilsby said:
    Curious on safety on walking from Moody Center to Sheraton on 10th/Red River, and maybe from there to 6th st?
    Should be perfectly fine after the show. There will be a lot of people heading that way with you. 
  • Don’t have a car and was planning to walk or Uber.  How’s the Uber situation?  Any issues with walking from a loft on 7th in the area safety wise?  
  • Oh and how about good tacos 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,664
    Lots of great craft beer options but I always recommend Jester King out in the hills.
    Great beer
    Great food
    And they have goats!
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Get BBQ at Styles Switch on North Lamar.  Best Place in town...For Coffee igo a little north to Genuine Joe.  If you don't want to wait in line at Barton Springs go to deep Eddy and grab one of the best burgers in town at nearby Pool Burger.  Beer Garden your thing? ABGB, Buzz Mill, or Easy Tiger are my go to's.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Lots of great craft beer options but I always recommend Jester King out in the hills.
    Great beer
    Great food
    And they have goats!
    Oh and Yes drive out of town and go to Jester King.  You will probably have as good a time as you will at the Moody Center.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    57Goldtop said:
    Don’t have a car and was planning to walk or Uber.  How’s the Uber situation?  Any issues with walking from a loft on 7th in the area safety wise?  
    Plenty of Ubers. 
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Austin Jammers, how will the heat affect the stadium?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    It actually looks like some relief is coming next week.  Finally!  It won't impact the show at all either way.  I was there for Beck and was actually cold inside Moody.  New arena and it's pretty awesome.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    ComeToTX said:
    It actually looks like some relief is coming next week.  Finally!  It won't impact the show at all either way.  I was there for Beck and was actually cold inside Moody.  New arena and it's pretty awesome.
    Thank goodness the cooler air is flowing in.

Good to read that I won't melt in Moody.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Cooler air lol it's supposed to be in the high 90's to 100's
    Right. As opposed to 108 95 sounds amazing. 
  • jbaker67jbaker67 Posts: 353
    edited September 2023
    If you get a chance, go check out the bats under the Congress Avenue bridge.  We were there last year around this time and it was a really cool experience. 

Also, for BBQ: LA Barbecue is fantastic.  And Jester King is a must visit brewery.
    Post edited by jbaker67 on

2000: Camden 9/1 2003: Camden 7/5, Hershey 2004: Reading 2006: Camden 5/28 2008: Camden 6/19, 6/20 2009: Philadelphia 10/27, 10/28, 10/31 2012: Philadelphia 2016: Philadelphia 4/28, New York City 5/2 2018: Seattle 8/8, 8/10 2019: Innings Fest 2021: Sea.Hear.Now, Ohana 2022: Baltimore, Camden, Louisville, St. Louis 2023: Saint Paul 8/31, 9/2 2024: Philadelphia 9/7, 9/9, Baltimore

• Great thread. Thank you! Any recommendations for a hike in and around Austin? 
  • Mount Bonnell is a great hiking spot, at the peak you can get a great look at the city. 

I second LA BBQ, amazing brisket.
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    I've been to Austin several times... there is no shortage of stuff to do there.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,748
    I am going to eat all the food, drink all the drinks, sweat all the sweat, and listen to Pearl Jam.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 323
    Any PJ specific pre party or event plans for N1?
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023
  • ComeToTX said:
    No reason to hit 6th unless you’re still using a fake ID.  Barton Springs should be on everyone’s list coming from out of town. 

Uchiko and Red Ash are my favorite restaurants in town. Reservations might be hard at this point. 
    Red ash literally caught on fire a few days ago.  Not sure if they’re open right now 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    I'm staying at the Moxy on Guadalupe street near west campus. Any good bars/restaurants near there or should we Uber to Rainey street as recommended above. Never been to Austin. Thanks for any tips here. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    Lots of great bars on Sixth St.........lots of them.
    The Museum of the Weird is also down that road.
    Terry Black's BBQ, Stubbs BBQ, Coopers BBQ, Ironworks BBQ. All great
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • jwc6160 said:
    I'm staying at the Moxy on Guadalupe street near west campus. Any good bars/restaurants near there or should we Uber to Rainey street as recommended above. Never been to Austin. Thanks for any tips here. 
    If it were me I would Uber. Depends on your age, but you’re I think around West 26th or so if I remember right. most of those bars are college bars and unless you’re younger that can get kinda old quick.

I stay as far away from 6th myself as I can, but a Sunday or Monday night may not be too crazy. When my friends visit from the east coast they like to go to Rainey St, Moontower saloon (which is 20 mins south) and all those other bars on that Menchaca strip, The White Horse on the East Side, Mean Eyed Cat, Donn’s Depot.

I would recommend Rainey because there’s a lot of options, and the East Side- start at The White Horse and maybe get dinner at Justine’s.  There’s a shit Tom of options over there.

My bbq list would be:

Micklethwait (closed M, T, W)
    Stiles (closed M)
    Interstellar BBQ  (closed M, T)
    Terry Black’s 
    La Bbq (closed M, T)

no way I would wait in line for Franklin’s, but then again I live here and there’s bbq everywhere.  But if you wait, you won’t regret it.  I’m taking my Boston friends to Micklethwait on Sunday.

Hope everyone who visits has a wonderful time! It’s supposed to be a high of like 92, which for us down here is like winter 😃

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    jwc6160 said:
    If it were me I would Uber. Depends on your age, but you’re I think around West 26th or so if I remember right. most of those bars are college bars and unless you’re younger that can get kinda old quick.

I stay as far away from 6th myself as I can, but a Sunday or Monday night may not be too crazy. When my friends visit from the east coast they like to go to Rainey St, Moontower saloon (which is 20 mins south) and all those other bars on that Menchaca strip, The White Horse on the East Side, Mean Eyed Cat, Donn’s Depot.

I would recommend Rainey because there’s a lot of options, and the East Side- start at The White Horse and maybe get dinner at Justine’s.  There’s a shit Tom of options over there.

My bbq list would be:

Micklethwait (closed M, T, W)
    Stiles (closed M)
    Interstellar BBQ  (closed M, T)
    Terry Black’s 
    La Bbq (closed M, T)

no way I would wait in line for Franklin’s, but then again I live here and there’s bbq everywhere.  But if you wait, you won’t regret it.  I’m taking my Boston friends to Micklethwait on Sunday.

Hope everyone who visits has a wonderful time! It’s supposed to be a high of like 92, which for us down here is like winter 😃

Thanks. Wish I would have picked a different hotel, but it looks like I'm still close to good options. Any breweries or brew pubs that you would recommend? I'm coming from KC and can eat good bbq whenever so i'm indifferent on that. Thanks again. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022