Options

Traveling Solo for the Chi-Indi Run

Hey friends. This is going to be a long and super vulnerable post, so please forgive me for that.

With that being said, I'm going to be traveling alone from NJ > Chicago > Indiana for this 3-show run. I have pairs already, but due to some recent life circumstances I'll be going alone. I'm in my early 20's, so this will be my first solo travel experience. Why? Because my favorite band is getting on to their 60's and I need to see them as many times as humanly possible before they're done, and the way they've approached these last couple tours has obviously made that more of a reality.

I chose these shows because of Ed's connection to Chicago and because they always play great shows in ampitheatres (I was in Camden last year). I'm betting on these being some special shows.

When I realized I was going to be going alone, I thought long and hard about it and decided that it is still 100% worth it to me. Besides, I've always met cool people at shows and we're all in it for the same reasons right?

So, if anyone has anything to say regarding my situation, please do. I'm going to be scouring TM for the best possible singles from now until the shows. Any tips, advice, potential ticket trades/extras would be fantastic. I don't expect this post to be seen or acknowledged by many, but for those who do thank you.

Philadelphia 1 (April 28, 2016)
Sea.Hear.Now Festival (September 18, 2021)
Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 01, 2021)
Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 02, 2021)
MSG (September 11, 2022)
Camden (September 14, 2022)
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    Hey friends. This is going to be a long and super vulnerable post, so please forgive me for that.

With that being said, I'm going to be traveling alone from NJ > Chicago > Indiana for this 3-show run. I have pairs already, but due to some recent life circumstances I'll be going alone. I'm in my early 20's, so this will be my first solo travel experience. Why? Because my favorite band is getting on to their 60's and I need to see them as many times as humanly possible before they're done, and the way they've approached these last couple tours has obviously made that more of a reality.

I chose these shows because of Ed's connection to Chicago and because they always play great shows in ampitheatres (I was in Camden last year). I'm betting on these being some special shows.

When I realized I was going to be going alone, I thought long and hard about it and decided that it is still 100% worth it to me. Besides, I've always met cool people at shows and we're all in it for the same reasons right?

So, if anyone has anything to say regarding my situation, please do. I'm going to be scouring TM for the best possible singles from now until the shows. Any tips, advice, potential ticket trades/extras would be fantastic. I don't expect this post to be seen or acknowledged by many, but for those who do thank you.

You will have fun going solo. I went to Ohana Encore in 21 and Oklahoma City last year by myself and had a blast!. I am not really outgoing or talkative, but I found myself having conversations with the people around me. The shared love of this band made it easier to strike up a conversation. If you have Facebook, there are meet ups being discussed at the different shows, you should check them out. 
  • Options
    mbeagin110mbeagin110 Posts: 28

You will have fun going solo. I went to Ohana Encore in 21 and Oklahoma City last year by myself and had a blast!. I am not really outgoing or talkative, but I found myself having conversations with the people around me. The shared love of this band made it easier to strike up a conversation. If you have Facebook, there are meet ups being discussed at the different shows, you should check them out. 

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It truly makes me feel more comfortable and confident about going alone. I know I'm making the right choice. Great point about the meetups. I'm also not super extroverted but a shared interest in PJ is enough for me to get out of my shell a bit. Is there somewhere I can look specifically for the FB groups?
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    JE224127JE224127 Fairhope, AL Posts: 309
    Go for it! I went to DC 08, Memphis 14 and Jazzfest 16 solo. I think it’s a bit cathartic to be solo and not have to worry with making sure others are taken care of,just take care of yourself. Like you mentioned above, there are so many great PJ fans to catch up with and we are all at the shows for the same reason. Safe travels and have a blast.
  • Options
    JE224127 said:
    Go for it! I went to DC 08, Memphis 14 and Jazzfest 16 solo. I think it’s a bit cathartic to be solo and not have to worry with making sure others are taken care of,just take care of yourself. Like you mentioned above, there are so many great PJ fans to catch up with and we are all at the shows for the same reason. Safe travels and have a blast.
    Thank you! Thats very encouraging and I agree with your point about only having to be responsible for yourself :)
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,373
    I will be going NJ -> Chicago with my wife brother and mother. Wed be happy to help you if you need anything.:) We leave on 9/3. 
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    I will be going NJ -> Chicago with my wife brother and mother. Wed be happy to help you if you need anything.:) We leave on 9/3. 
    Thank you! Sent a PM :) 
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It truly makes me feel more comfortable and confident about going alone. I know I'm making the right choice. Great point about the meetups. I'm also not super extroverted but a shared interest in PJ is enough for me to get out of my shell a bit. Is there somewhere I can look specifically for the FB groups?
    I can't access Facebook from this PC, but if you search for Pearl Jam Chicago and Indy or Noblesville, they should show up. If not let me know and I can PM you the info after I get home this afternoon.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,891
    I often go alone and meet up with cool people who I have met through 10C. You will have a blast.  Also, if you already have good pairs and don’t need to upgrade you don’t have to find singles. You can just sell one of each of your pairs on F2F or find someone here who wants to buy  your other tickets and walk in with them. Have fun. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I often go alone and meet up with cool people who I have met through 10C. You will have a blast.  Also, if you already have good pairs and don’t need to upgrade you don’t have to find singles. You can just sell one of each of your pairs on F2F or find someone here who wants to buy  your other tickets and walk in with them. Have fun. 
    Thank you! I know I can sell singles on TM but I meant more that now I'm ISO singles I feel like I could probably upgrade even easier.
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options

I can't access Facebook from this PC, but if you search for Pearl Jam Chicago and Indy or Noblesville, they should show up. If not let me know and I can PM you the info after I get home this afternoon.

Thank you! I'll take a look
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,218
    Adding my voice to the chorus of support for your choice and also feel free to PM me if you run into any difficulties.  I’ve done solo runs so often I don’t know how anyone goes with someone! 

My advice would be to hang on to your existing tickets until you are 100% in possession of something else.  Chicago there are get in the door tickets available (bad seats) if everything goes wrong but Indy would be very difficult to replace.

If you end up selling your +1 perhaps you’d consider updating this thread to see if anyone here might want to buy them.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Adding my voice to the chorus of support for your choice and also feel free to PM me if you run into any difficulties.  I’ve done solo runs so often I don’t know how anyone goes with someone! 

My advice would be to hang on to your existing tickets until you are 100% in possession of something else.  Chicago there are get in the door tickets available (bad seats) if everything goes wrong but Indy would be very difficult to replace.

If you end up selling your +1 perhaps you’d consider updating this thread to see if anyone here might want to buy them.  
    Thank you! Yes, I was planning on keeping my pairs until I'm 100% sure I won't need. They're decent too so I'm sure they'll sell. 
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    You should without a doubt 100% go, you will have a great time. Travelled solo from Brazil last year to the Budapest, Paris and Prague shows. Met and talked to a lot of cool people in the merch line and the shows were amazing (well, Prague was cancelled but still had a great time talking to the people at the venue). Doint it again this year going alone to the Chicago shows. Im in my late 30's and definitely regret passing up some opportunities to do stuff like this when I was in my 20's.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,967
    You will have the experience of your life. 
    My advice is treat it as one big adventure and be in the moment each day . I've met some of the best friends I have in line at a show
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    You should without a doubt 100% go, you will have a great time. Travelled solo from Brazil last year to the Budapest, Paris and Prague shows. Met and talked to a lot of cool people in the merch line and the shows were amazing (well, Prague was cancelled but still had a great time talking to the people at the venue). Doint it again this year going alone to the Chicago shows. Im in my late 30's and definitely regret passing up some opportunities to do stuff like this when I was in my 20's.
    Thank you! I'm really hoping to.
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    You will have the experience of your life. 
    My advice is treat it as one big adventure and be in the moment each day . I've met some of the best friends I have in line at a show
    Thank you! I think so too! :)
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    canuck79canuck79 Posts: 120

I've travelled solo for a few PJ shows (both in the US as well as Europe) - you'll have a great time.

Question - you say you have pairs already, but then say you're looking for single tickets?  Why not keep you pairs and sell the second ticket you don't need?  Saves you the headache of looking for more tickets.
    "Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
    ----
    1998 - Montreal 8/20
    2003 - Montreal 6/29
    2006 - Boston 5/24, Boston 5/25
    2008 - Mansfield, MA 6/28
    2009 - Toronto 8/21
    2010 - Buffalo 5/10, Berlin, DE 6/30
    2011 - East Troy, WI 9/3, East Troy, WI 9/4, Toronto 9/11, Toronto 9/12, Hamilton, ON 9/15
    2013 - London, ON 7/16
    2016 - Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto 5/12, Boston 8/7
    2018 - London, UK 6/18, Milan, IT 6/22, Chicago 8/18, Chicago 8/20
    2022 - Hamilton, ON 09/06, Toronto 09/08, Nashville 09/16
    2023 - Chicago 09/07, Austin, TX 09/18, Austin, TX 09/19
    EV Solo
    2008 - Toronto 8/13
    2011 - Detroit 6/26
    TOTD
    2016 - NYC 11/7
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,238
    I’m also from NJ and have been to several shows alone over the years, including most recently SHN and Ohana encore ‘21. I’ve had some of the best times I’ve ever had at PJ shows traveling solo, and met so many awesome people. In fact, I met someone at Ohana encore who I became close friends with and traveled to shows with last year. And this year, I’m actually staying over his place for the STP shows. I recommend you go to the wishlist parties before the shows, which are a great way to meet people from all over the world who share our mutual love for PJ.  There are FB groups for each of the shows as well as the wishlist parties, which I’d recommend you join (if you do FB). Also, me and two of my buddies are going to Chicago and will be going to the wishlist pre-parties and probably also the cubs game on the day in between, and would be happy to meet up. You’re going to have an incredible time!
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,837
    edited July 2023
    Solo shows are great - don't get me wrong, I love going with friends (and have many times), but doing one Fenway show, Camden, and Sea.Hear.Now solo was amazing. You can 100% focus your energy on your favorite band (go and eat and explore wherever and whenever you want), and even as a nervous introvert here, i've been able to strike up conversations about the band w/ so many cool people around me.

In short, solo concerts are super underrated - go!
    Post edited by 1STmammal2wearPants on
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,093
    edited July 2023
    I am a very anxious person and also live in country so cities intimidate me..and I booked a flight to Chicago in 2018,  4 days before the shows. I was so close to backing out and let me tell you it was the most freeing amazing experience. I even named my dog Wrigley after that trip. I'm not gonna lie..I had an hour sleep night before..rode the L..got off wrong spot downtown..found my way and went to my hotel and cried I was so overwhelmed..but I told myself knock it off, walked out the door and straight to Wrigley Field and hooked up with a PJ gal there.

I wore a shirt I made with I Am Mine on it cuz that's how I chose to live in that moment.

I'm now traveling alone to Austin and am really scared. I've never had to transfer planes before but it's for Pearl Jam and what better reason. 

Long winded but you got this! 

Post edited by deb1211 on
  • Options
    canuck79 said:

I've travelled solo for a few PJ shows (both in the US as well as Europe) - you'll have a great time.

Question - you say you have pairs already, but then say you're looking for single tickets?  Why not keep you pairs and sell the second ticket you don't need?  Saves you the headache of looking for more tickets.
    Yes, I do plan to hang on to my pairs, but I just mean I can upgrade easier solo. So if I happen to see a single in GA or lower 100s I could take that instead since most people are looking for pairs.
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    steven87 said:
    I’m also from NJ and have been to several shows alone over the years, including most recently SHN and Ohana encore ‘21. I’ve had some of the best times I’ve ever had at PJ shows traveling solo, and met so many awesome people. In fact, I met someone at Ohana encore who I became close friends with and traveled to shows with last year. And this year, I’m actually staying over his place for the STP shows. I recommend you go to the wishlist parties before the shows, which are a great way to meet people from all over the world who share our mutual love for PJ.  There are FB groups for each of the shows as well as the wishlist parties, which I’d recommend you join (if you do FB). Also, me and two of my buddies are going to Chicago and will be going to the wishlist pre-parties and probably also the cubs game on the day in between, and would be happy to meet up. You’re going to have an incredible time!
    Thank you for sharing your experience it is super encouraging and I'm definitely going to!
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    Solo shows are great - don't get me wrong, I love going with friends (and have many times), but doing one Fenway show, Camden, and Sea.Hear.Now solo was amazing. You can 100% focus your energy on your favorite band (go and eat and explore wherever and whenever you want), and even as a nervous introvert here, i've been able to strike up conversations about the band w/ so many cool people around me.

In short, solo concerts are super underrated - go!
    Thank you for sharing and being so encouraging! Makes the decision to go even easier! :)
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    deb1211 said:
    I am a very anxious person and also live in country so cities intimidate me..and I booked a flight to Chicago in 2018,  4 days before the shows. I was so close to backing out and let me tell you it was the most freeing amazing experience. I even named my dog Wrigley after that trip. I'm not gonna lie..I had an hour sleep night before..rode the L..got off wrong spot downtown..found my way and went to my hotel and cried I was so overwhelmed..but I told myself knock it off, walked out the door and straight to Wrigley Field and hooked up with a PJ gal there.

I wore a shirt I made with I Am Mine on it cuz that's how I chose to live in that moment.

I'm now traveling alone to Austin and am really scared. I've never had to transfer planes before but it's for Pearl Jam and what better reason. 

Thank you for sharing your experience and being so encouraging. I'm so happy to see and hear all of these incredible and encouraging experiences. I know that it'll be great because this fanbase and community is so great
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,967
    deb1211 said:

Good on you. Well done 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    Add another one going (somewhat )solo from NJ. And what I mean is I'm driving from NJ to STP(Chicago & Indy too) solo, but when I get there I won't be solo as I've met people by going solo to places(West Coast, Europe, etc.), that I'll be meeting up with. And just off the top of my head I'll be meeting up with people from Florida, Michigan, North Carolina, NY and Canada. You'll meet people on this run of shows you're going to and you'll probably see them again the next time you go see some shows.

You'll have a GREAT time!!