Options

Titanic Sub

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    this story is really sad and unsettling to me. it has waken me in my sleep the last two nights. i can't imagine the hell of being trapped in something the size of a couple of small rooms with strangers and being stuck there with no communication and knowing i had no chance to get out. even if we found our way to the surface we could not get out to fresh air because the submersible was locked from the outside. i am getting bad anxiety now just trying to imagine myself in that situation.

that said, i am no fan of billionaires and their escapades. i am no fan of them paying 250k to take a chance to see something that is buried in one of the most inhospitable places on the entire planet. i find it selfish. i find it selfish to take this risk and then have several countries spend millions of dollars and thousands of man hours and have others risk their own lives to try to locate and then try to save them. also the media coverage of these individuals who already have everything they can possibly want, while the migrant boat doesn't even get a mention. those were people with basically nothing trying to make it somewhere to have a chance to better their lot in life. it is all just so unfair to me.

this whole story just fucking sucks. 

then the internet memes and the callousness takes it to a whole other level to me. i will joke about anything but even i have had a very difficult time with this, in just feeling fucking awful for everyone involved.

i am glad that i feel sad and anxious, because sometimes i feel like i am losing my humanity and my compassion for others.

this needs to be a cautionary tale that some places are not meant for tourism. no matter if you have all the money in the world or not. some places should not be ventured to.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,856
    I don’t celebrate their deaths. But I don’t mourn them either. We elevate people like this in society where there is constant media coverage and concern for their well being on a Darwinian voyage, but don’t give two shits about boat loads of people seeking refuge from tyranny/poverty. 

Yes, they ARE related, in a societal sense. I care the same amount amount about people taking selfies on the edges of cliffs and falling to their deaths. Happy? No. Do I give a fuck? Also no. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    edited June 2023
    I don’t think this is a tragedy.  This isn’t an unexpected outcome and people signed up for it knowing so.  Horrible thing.  Sad.  But not a tragedy.

A tragedy would be if public funds were used for the search that could have gone those people who didn’t put themselves at an absurd risk.

Now that it is confirmed, there should be no further involvement by governments that is not funded by the families or private funds.  

It sure if public funds were used here though.  They should be reimbursed by the company if so.

The 19 year old had a dud for a dad.

Don’t care if they are rich or poor.  They basically went on a mission to the moon and passed up the booths for NASA and SpaceX and signed up for ACME SpaceCo.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    in other dumb billionaire news, zuck and musk are talking about having a fight. fuck those guys.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    So the debris field was apparently at the bow of Titanic...you have to wonder if they were able to get a glimpse of the ship before everything imploded. 
    i'm no expert but i doubt it. it probably crushed like an aluminum can and then sank to the bottom.
    Actually I just read that it was 1600 ft from Titanic so they wouldn't have seen it 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I don’t think this is a tragedy.  This isn’t an unexpected outcome and people signed up for it knowing so.  Horrible thing.  Sad.  But not a tragedy.

A tragedy would be if public funds were used for the search that could have gone those people who didn’t put themselves at an absurd risk.

Now that it is confirmed, there should be no further involvement by governments that is not funded by the families or private funds.  

It sure if public funds were used here though.  They should be reimbursed by the company if so.

The 19 year old had a dud for a dad.

Don’t care if they are rich or poor.  They basically went on a mission to the moon and passed up the booths for NASA and SpaceX and signed up for ACME SpaceCo.

The kids aunt says he was really nervous about going. 

I do wonder how much it cost to search for them. And they were likely dead when they first lost contact. 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,920
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options
    POS father right there. I would NEVER put my girls in anything anywhere CLOSE to that type of danger. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    It does seem odd to focus on five people that willingly put themselves in danger when 82 are dead on the greek migrant ship.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2023/06/21/greek-boat-capsize-fallout-focus-greece-government/70342879007/

I've seen criticism of the coast guard for "taking too long" but honestly how could that possibly be considered their responsibility?

The migrant boat tragedy likely is far worse than that. They've accounted for just over 100 survivors but an estimated 750 people were on the boat. It's very possible that over 600 people died.

I'm not going to mock or make light of the people on the submersible. Bad decisions were made, but they're human beings with friends and family who I'm sure are worried sick about what happened to them. I take issue with the news coverage; yesterday at one point, there were eleven articles on the WaPo website about the submersible -- one a commentary on the disproportionate coverage of the sub vs. the migrant ship. That sends a certain message, and it reflects poorly on the media and their audience.  When it comes to the migrants' boat, I am reminded of a line from The Wire: "They're dead where it doesn't count." I subscribe to and generally respect WaPo, but I'm getting push notifications and reminders of live updates about the sub and crickets about the migrant ship, and that doesn't sit right with me.

Yeah, it's the media, but it's also us as a society consuming said media... the media does what they do because it sells. 

If more people pushed back against trash bag media, they might have to improve, but people love consuming shit, so we get shit. 

Agreed, both.
    Thanks to TV and now social media, society has become super addicted to sensationalism.  And I mean all (or very likely all) of us.  I have to admit I was a little sucked into the Titan sub story.  How can you not be?  It's everywhere.  But resistance to the vicarious thrill of it all is not futile.  We can train ourselves to take it in a little and then remember what the better priorities are. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    in other dumb billionaire news, zuck and musk are talking about having a fight. fuck those guys.

Man, you said it.  Fuck 'em!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

• Options

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    Yeah, it's the media, but it's also us as a society consuming said media... the media does what they do because it sells. 

If more people pushed back against trash bag media, they might have to improve, but people love consuming shit, so we get shit. 

I'm happy to push back! How do I do it? Seriously -- MSNBC is freaking *playing sad trumpet music* over photos of the five presumed dead as they go to commercial break. Hundreds dead off the coast of Greece, and today Zelenskyy announced that an attack on the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant is imminent, and it absolutely enrages me to see this.

It's sad that these men died. But it's in no way comparable to these other situations. F---! Even Nicolle Wallace is opening with this! WTF?
    I would not bother watching MSNBC...
    You should. Nicole Wallace is Bush's former WH Comm Director. She's sharp.
    Its as painful as watching NEWSMAX, I can't.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    This is an actual quote from the CEO Stockton Rush from last year.....

"You know, at some point, safety just is pure waste. I mean if you just want to be safe, don't get out of bed, don't get in your car, don't do anything. At some point, you're going to take some risk, and it really is a risk/reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    This is an actual quote from the CEO Stockton Rush from last year.....

"You know, at some point, safety just is pure waste. I mean if you just want to be safe, don't get out of bed, don't get in your car, don't do anything. At some point, you're going to take some risk, and it really is a risk/reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules."
    He's right that 'at some point' safety is just pure waste. He just unfortunately wasn't even close to that point. Sounds like the CEO was warned, he ignored the warning, and he continued "breaking the rules". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLYy09tdrpE&ab_channel=CNN
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020
    I’ve been out of state visiting family the last few days, I’ve seen limited news. This is the first I’m hearing about a boat.
    I haven’t seen any negative posts about the sun on social media, although I’m sure they are out there. But I do see a lot of sad, heart felt posts.
    I do feel bad for them and their families. But I couldn’t help but feel we’re expected to be more upset over 5 billionaires than the dozens of people who die in car crashes every day. Who were just on their way to work. These people knew the risk and accepted it. It sucks, but I feel no more sorry for them than when I pass an accident on the freeway.
    Then I hear of this boat that I had no idea about. For the last 2 days I have only seen coverage of the sub.  It really isn’t that newsworthy. 
    It’s not that I don’t care, but it’s that’s I don’t care more about them than everyone else who has an untimely tragic death. The news and social media needs to stop trying to make me.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I’ve been out of state visiting family the last few days, I’ve seen limited news. This is the first I’m hearing about a boat.
    I haven’t seen any negative posts about the sun on social media, although I’m sure they are out there. But I do see a lot of sad, heart felt posts.
    I do feel bad for them and their families. But I couldn’t help but feel we’re expected to be more upset over 5 billionaires than the dozens of people who die in car crashes every day. Who were just on their way to work. These people knew the risk and accepted it. It sucks, but I feel no more sorry for them than when I pass an accident on the freeway.
    Then I hear of this boat that I had no idea about. For the last 2 days I have only seen coverage of the sub.  It really isn’t that newsworthy. 
    It’s not that I don’t care, but it’s that’s I don’t care more about them than everyone else who has an untimely tragic death. The news and social media needs to stop trying to make me.

It's a classic example of news mean sensationalism frenzy.  Big news outlets LIVE for this kind of thing.  Mass shootings: cha-ching!  Miners trapped: Cha-ching! (see Kirk Douglas movie, "Ace in the Hole" aka "The Big Carnival"), deep sea sub implodes: cha-ching!

This disaster frenzy brought to you by ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, CBC, MSNBC, WSP, WaPo, Guardian, NPR, NYT, USA Today, TMZ, CNET,  and of course, everyone's favorite- FOX NEWS!

• Options
    I'm not sure if some of it relates to the migrant boat being in Greek waters and the Titanic stuff being international?

Sad for sure in both situations but it does seem like people were fairly certain that the sub was already cooked on Sunday. So there was a lot of scrambling and funds put toward looking for it when their own people figured it had imploded.

Luckily no rescuers died in the process.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mace1229 said:
    I understand this but sometimes the uniqueness of a story matters, too. I think we've come to accept (or at least be densitized to) 35,000 to 40,000 deaths on US roads per year. And while I'm with you 100% that the loss of these people is no more tragic than the loss of any five people dilled in traffic collisions, I do understand why this is a more unique story (while also venting the frustration that traffic deaths are sometimes viewed as no big deal).

That all said, the sub carrying millionaires vs. the boat carrying hundreds of people with no money does lend itself to your point. It's part "we need you to hear about these important rich people!" and part "bad things happen to poor people all the time, anyway."

All that said, this is a tragedy and a unique one at that. But the coverage definitely outweighs the numbers. (I think I went from countering you to mostly agreeing with you while typing this...)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    I'm not sure if some of it relates to the migrant boat being in Greek waters and the Titanic stuff being international?

Sad for sure in both situations but it does seem like people were fairly certain that the sub was already cooked on Sunday. So there was a lot of scrambling and funds put toward looking for it when their own people figured it had imploded.

Luckily no rescuers died in the process.
    I'd be interested in how the news coverage balances in Mediterranean countries.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258
    I hate that phrase "died doing what he loved".
    It's moronic.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    I am literally LOL right now. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Poncier said:
    I hate that phrase "died doing what he loved".
    It's moronic.
    me too. romanticizing darwinian behaviour. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    Well, if I died sportfucking I'd be OK with that being shared about me.
    A daredevil activity that could have easily been avoided?
    Less so.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    yeah that was a good one, lol

how do we know he loved being in the sub? what if someone farted and he was like "aw man this really, really sucks" and then that was the last thing he said. he could have actually hated the decision to get in that submersible.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020

how do we know he loved being in the sub? what if someone farted and he was like "aw man this really, really sucks" and then that was the last thing he said. he could have actually hated the decision to get in that submersible.
    He loved exploring. He’s been a space traveler and set world records. I think it’d safe to say he loved exploring, and the sub would fit into that.
    But I agree, I hate the expression “he does spin what he loved” and that imploded comment made me laugh too.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    mace1229 said:

He loved exploring. He’s been a space traveler and set world records. I think it’d safe to say he loved exploring, and the sub would fit into that.
    But I agree, I hate the expression “he does spin what he loved” and that imploded comment made me laugh too.
    I spin what I love.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved