Options

Titanic Sub

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/live-blog/missing-titanic-submersible-live-updates-rcna90538#rcrd14460

Debris field found.

Does anyone know why this thing didn't have a tracking device? Is it simply because they don't work at those depths?
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    I thought it did but doesn’t work without power. SMFH if that is true. 

The wife of the CEO is the great great granddaughter of two victims of the Titanic. That’s crazy (also IF true). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    @Gern Blansten I asked that same question.  How in the hell do u not have a homing device on this thing?

People have been ruthless w the jokes about this.  People may literally die and they make fun of this?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,736
    @Gern Blansten I asked that same question.  How in the hell do u not have a homing device on this thing?

People have been ruthless w the jokes about this.  People may literally die and they make fun of this?
    Unfortunately, they’re likely already dead. The coast guard estimates that they would’ve run out of oxygen by now. 

The guy that owns the sub talked on a video about how the sub didn’t meet safety regulations and he joked “sign me up.” It’s tantamount to getting on an airplane that you know is faulty. I admire their penchant for adventure and exploration, but you gotta do it correctly and safely, or else this is what you get. What a horrible way to die. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited June 2023

Yeah, I have been really shocked by the online reaction to this. The general consensus seems to be that because they are rich people, it's not a tragedy. For me that is really disgusting, because all I could think about was that IF they survived for a long time, how absolutely horrifying that would be. Now that they have found a debris field, all I can think about is how that's a blessing for their poor families, because it probably means they didn't suffer too much before dying. But the main sentiment on social media? FUCK 'EM - THEY ARE RICH AND I'M GLAD THEY'RE DEAD FROM DOING SOMETHING STUPID. :tired_face:
    I'm probably more against the huge economic disparities in our society than most, and abhor the power billionaire corporate greed has over our governments... But that doesn't make me an animal who can't feel for human beings who could have been trapped in a coffin underwater for days, geez. Especially when there is a 19 year old on board... I mentioned the age of the guy, and 100% of the comments were basically, "fuck him, he's an adult who was born rich."
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517

Unfortunately, they’re likely already dead. The coast guard estimates that they would’ve run out of oxygen by now. 

The guy that owns the sub talked on a video about how the sub didn’t meet safety regulations and he joked “sign me up.” It’s tantamount to getting on an airplane that you know is faulty. I admire their penchant for adventure and exploration, but you gotta do it correctly and safely, or else this is what you get. What a horrible way to die. 
    Agreed. 

If it imploded (as it sounds), hopefully for their sake, it was early on, and they died immediately. There are few fates that I can think of worse then sitting in a sub on the ocean floor for 4 days hoping someone might hear us knocking before the oxygen runs out. 

& @tempo_n_groove the jokes have been ruthless, and most of them tasteless / classless, etc. but with that being said, there's no small amount of irony in billionaires who have so many reasons to live taking such a silly and needless risk. 250K for the chance to see darkened wreckage out that single porthole for a couple of minutes? It's hard to understand, really. 
  • Options
    It does seem odd to focus on five people that willingly put themselves in danger when 82 are dead on the greek migrant ship.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2023/06/21/greek-boat-capsize-fallout-focus-greece-government/70342879007/

I've seen criticism of the coast guard for "taking too long" but honestly how could that possibly be considered their responsibility?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    https://fox59.com/news/national-world/debris-field-found-during-search-for-missing-titanic-submersible/?fbclid=IwAR2htEIkGkkbVlArV5zXCPNBw3AZSm9VUaSt_1NywnwdIVwrac5mLmTxzOM

I was assuming that the debris was on the water surface....I guess it was on the bottom near the Titanic

Hopefully they died when they first lost contact...that was likely quick and painless

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,736

Agreed. 

If it imploded (as it sounds), hopefully for their sake, it was early on, and they died immediately. There are few fates that I can think of worse then sitting in a sub on the ocean floor for 4 days hoping someone might hear us knocking before the oxygen runs out. 

& @tempo_n_groove the jokes have been ruthless, and most of them tasteless / classless, etc. but with that being said, there's no small amount of irony in billionaires who have so many reasons to live taking such a silly and needless risk. 250K for the chance to see darkened wreckage out that single porthole for a couple of minutes? It's hard to understand, really. 
    Yeah I hope it just imploded too and those guys weren't stuck down there waiting to die. Those are my most feared deaths. Being trapped in a collapsed house or under an avalanche or something to that nature. Just terrible.  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    It does seem odd to focus on five people that willingly put themselves in danger when 82 are dead on the greek migrant ship.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2023/06/21/greek-boat-capsize-fallout-focus-greece-government/70342879007/

I've seen criticism of the coast guard for "taking too long" but honestly how could that possibly be considered their responsibility?

Not odd if you acknowledge how the news media works of course. Predictable! But yes, I won't argue that the news media's priorities AND THE PUBLIC'S INTEREST is fucked up. I was just thinking the same as I watched the story about the bus crash in Canada that killed 16 senior citizens a couple of days ago. Of course, the intrigue with this is about the fascination the Titanic holds, and crazy underwater subs, and the nightmare fuel of being trapped in a tin can under 2 miles of ocean, and, it seems, the crazy irresponsibility and lack of regulation around such a tourist venture that is so expensive that only the rich can do it... Honestly, it seems sadly natural that this is the story that catches everyone's attention. I actually think they fact that they are rich people who are dead or the number of dead is the last thing the scope of this story relies on in the mainstream media. It's everything else.
    The fact that they are rich and serious schadenfreude seems to be the main topic among the general public on social media though, as I mentioned in my previous post.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,665
    I would never be surprised at shit public reactions.  Most of the public are complete garbage human beings who add nothing to this world.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I would never be surprised at shit public reactions.  Most of the public are complete garbage human beings who add nothing to this world.
    Given a voice that they shouldn't have...
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,294

The migrant boat tragedy likely is far worse than that. They've accounted for just over 100 survivors but an estimated 750 people were on the boat. It's very possible that over 600 people died.

I'm not going to mock or make light of the people on the submersible. Bad decisions were made, but they're human beings with friends and family who I'm sure are worried sick about what happened to them. I take issue with the news coverage; yesterday at one point, there were eleven articles on the WaPo website about the submersible -- one a commentary on the disproportionate coverage of the sub vs. the migrant ship. That sends a certain message, and it reflects poorly on the media and their audience.  When it comes to the migrants' boat, I am reminded of a line from The Wire: "They're dead where it doesn't count." I subscribe to and generally respect WaPo, but I'm getting push notifications and reminders of live updates about the sub and crickets about the migrant ship, and that doesn't sit right with me.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's the media, but it's also us as a society consuming said media... the media does what they do because it sells. 

If more people pushed back against trash bag media, they might have to improve, but people love consuming shit, so we get shit. 
  • Options
    I'm a bit shocked that the one guy took his son down there with him. I know they all thought they were coming back up but it's like a trip up Mt Everest, very possible you won't come back.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    International ocean organization needs to ban all these types of adventure down to the Titanic wreck! It’s a damn grave site leave it alone I don’t need to see it anymore 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    International ocean organization needs to ban all these types of adventure down to the Titanic wreck! It’s a damn grave site leave it alone I don’t need to see it anymore 
    Yeah a nice video is good enough for me...and there are plenty of those.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Yeah, it's the media, but it's also us as a society consuming said media... the media does what they do because it sells. 

If more people pushed back against trash bag media, they might have to improve, but people love consuming shit, so we get shit. 

100%. Ultimately, it's the masses who are responsible for the content. The media is just guilty of profiting from what the masses want.... of course we could go down the rabbit hole on this topic. Kind of the chicken and the egg argument, plus what the psychological impacts of media are versus human nature, etc etc etc. 
  • Options
    Exactly! Look at what’s happened on Mount Everest their are bodies underneath all that ice and garbage all throughout the mountain trail 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Exactly! Look at what’s happened on Mount Everest their are bodies underneath all that ice and garbage all throughout the mountain trail 

I can't get on board with your comparison with Everest. Mountain climbing is a whole different thing. It's a really huge physical and mental challenge, so I fully understand why people take that risk. Getting in that little sub as a tourist is not a physical or mental challenge at all - it's not an accomplishment in any way, shape or form, especially since they actually see everything on a little screen inside the sub (however, I totally understand those who want to invent underwater vehicles, so I get why at least a couple of the people in the sub would want to be doing it). In any case, LOTS of human endeavours are dangerous. If humans just stopped doing anything that was dangerous, we wouldn't even have space explorations or airplanes.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254

The migrant boat tragedy likely is far worse than that. They've accounted for just over 100 survivors but an estimated 750 people were on the boat. It's very possible that over 600 people died.

I'm not going to mock or make light of the people on the submersible. Bad decisions were made, but they're human beings with friends and family who I'm sure are worried sick about what happened to them. I take issue with the news coverage; yesterday at one point, there were eleven articles on the WaPo website about the submersible -- one a commentary on the disproportionate coverage of the sub vs. the migrant ship. That sends a certain message, and it reflects poorly on the media and their audience.  When it comes to the migrants' boat, I am reminded of a line from The Wire: "They're dead where it doesn't count." I subscribe to and generally respect WaPo, but I'm getting push notifications and reminders of live updates about the sub and crickets about the migrant ship, and that doesn't sit right with me.
    Yes, I was shocked at the number of WaPo articles yesterday as well. I also subscribe to them and read about the migrant fishing trawler incident first and thought how horrific that sounded. I kind of avoided much on the submersible until the other day. We also had a local tragedy that was taking headlines where 5 young/college aged minority women were killed by a speeding car that blew a red light and hit their car broadside. Lots of tragedies to cover every day :(
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I can't get on board with your comparison with Everest. Mountain climbing is a whole different thing. It's a really huge physical and mental challenge, so I fully understand why people take that risk. Getting in that little sub as a tourist is not a physical or mental challenge at all - it's not an accomplishment in any way, shape or form, especially since they actually see everything on a little screen inside the sub (however, I totally understand those who want to invent underwater vehicles, so I get why at least a couple of the people in the sub would want to be doing it). In any case, LOTS of human endeavours are dangerous. If humans just stopped doing anything that was dangerous, we wouldn't even have space explorations or airplanes.
    Ok I can see your point in Everest I’m more of the thought that humans make everything worse! Mountain climbing is def different but still that mountain has been abused by humans and I get that it brings revenue to the local economy! But the Titanic site is an actual grave site in my opinion it should be off limits 
  • Options

I'm happy to push back! How do I do it? Seriously -- MSNBC is freaking *playing sad trumpet music* over photos of the five presumed dead as they go to commercial break. Hundreds dead off the coast of Greece, and today Zelenskyy announced that an attack on the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant is imminent, and it absolutely enrages me to see this.

It's sad that these men died. But it's in no way comparable to these other situations. F---! Even Nicolle Wallace is opening with this! WTF?
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options

I'm happy to push back! How do I do it? Seriously -- MSNBC is freaking *playing sad trumpet music* over photos of the five presumed dead as they go to commercial break. Hundreds dead off the coast of Greece, and today Zelenskyy announced that an attack on the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant is imminent, and it absolutely enrages me to see this.

It's sad that these men died. But it's in no way comparable to these other situations. F---! Even Nicolle Wallace is opening with this! WTF?

If enough people pushed back (didn't watch?) Maybe they would be forced to change their MO, but I get your point... I don't consume any cable news, but at this point it's like shoveling shit against the tide. Me or you on our own not consuming MSNBC or Fox News won't make any difference (at least on the global scale... on a personal level I feel better off for it) 
  • Options

If enough people pushed back (didn't watch?) Maybe they would be forced to change their MO, but I get your point... I don't consume any cable news, but at this point it's like shoveling shit against the tide. Me or you on our own not consuming MSNBC or Fox News won't make any difference (at least on the global scale... on a personal level I feel better off for it) 

I guess I can just turn off the TV and watch PBS Newshour and leave it at that. But my grandma had "her shows" -- soaps -- and I have Nicolle Wallace and her generally great guests. This is "my show" and yes, I'm agitated that in this case, the shit is being shoveled down my throat. I don't wish any ill to the men who died, but we don't drop normal coverage every time a mountaineer goes missing, and its absurd that normally reliable news sources are trying to force me to care about this.

I guess I'll go get a shower and hope that coverage of stuff that affects more than twelve people has resumed when I'm done
  • Options

I would not bother watching MSNBC...
  • Options

You should. Nicole Wallace is Bush's former WH Comm Director. She's sharp.

• Options

You should. Nicole Wallace is Bush's former WH Comm Director. She's sharp.
    She def is! 
  • Options
    So the debris field was apparently at the bow of Titanic...you have to wonder if they were able to get a glimpse of the ship before everything imploded. 

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    So the debris field was apparently at the bow of Titanic...you have to wonder if they were able to get a glimpse of the ship before everything imploded. 
    i'm no expert but i doubt it. it probably crushed like an aluminum can and then sank to the bottom.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."