The Official 2024 TOUR Thread

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    edited January 3
    There are some things I can do that other 46 year olds can't physically do. There are things other 46 year olds can do that I physically can't. 

It's funny the way the whole aging thing works. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    DMB and Phish are the best comparisons. You are going to lose count tallying up their shows for any recent year. Meanwhile, PJ's 2023 can be counted on the fingers of two hands. 

Hopeful for 2024 changing that. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    I'm 48 and can't do fuck all. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    I'm literally hunched over with a lower back/hip issue this morning, so full understanding of the age issue. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    I'm 48 and can't do fuck all. 
    You should be more like Paul McCartney. 
  • tkepearljamntkepearljamn Posts: 581
    The Cardinals are announcing a stadium show tomorrow where Joe Buck is making the announcement... Odds of St. Louis getting a stadium show?   Seems real odd Buck ( whom I'v bumped into at PJ shows ) is making the announcement. 
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,465
    Maybe the time they spend with their families and side projects helps keep them interested in coming back to Pearl Jam and creating new music.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,725
    Hasn’t it been pretty clear for a long time  that one or more members don’t really like touring? At least they still play some shows even if it’s not what we’d all like and most of us have to travel . The pattern is becoming fewer locations and that seems to have started with the first ballpark shows which was a decade ago already. 
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Posts: 2,804
    Finally figured it out. They dont play that much shows any more because we are all getting old and just cant take it anymore. 
    Kearnsy
    Kearn5y said:
    Finally figured it out. They dont play that much shows any more because we are all getting old and just cant take it anymore. 
    It really could be any number of reasons. Jeff's on record as saying he doesn't like touring. Maybe they want to spend time w/ their families, maybe they're bored with the music, maybe they want to sleep in their own bed, maybe they just don't give a f anymore. 

"The times they are a changing"
  • brewdog123brewdog123 Posts: 649
    yall make it sound like PJ members are day laborers or putting up roofs for a living
    Atlanta, GA 8/7/00...Atlanta, GA 4/19/03...Columbia, SC 6/16/08...New Orleans, LA 5/1/10...East Troy, WI 9/3/11... East Troy, WI 9/4/11... Atlanta, GA 9/22/12...Greenville, SC 4/16/16...Nashville, TN 9/16/22
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Posts: 2,804
    Kearn5y said:
    It really could be any number of reasons. Jeff's on record as saying he doesn't like touring. Maybe they want to spend time w/ their families, maybe they're bored with the music, maybe they want to sleep in their own bed, maybe they just don't give a f anymore. 

Whatever it is, it started years ago when they were much younger so I dont think age was the issue then but could be now or could be any of the things you listed above. 
    Kearnsy
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,146
    Regardless of the why, the what around touring is what it is. You gotta find other bands. If your happiness is tied too closely to one or a small number of artists and their output, it's a much tougher ride.
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,087
    It’s about time we had a discussion about why Pearl Jam doesn’t play more shows and whether or not that’s good or bad. Long overdue. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,146
    I see like 50 or 60 shows a year. When Pearl Jam announces a tour it's a bonus.
    Kearn5y said:
    Kearn5y said:

Whatever it is, it started years ago when they were much younger so I dont think age was the issue then but could be now or could be any of the things you listed above. 
    Maybe some of them look at where they are financially and or creatively, are content with that, and just don't want to deal w/ the hassle of going out on the road. In the end we really don't know. 

Let's also not overlook how hard of a time they've had getting things going since the pandemic. They couldn't even complete a 9 date tour last year without getting sick & having to cancel a show. They've kind of been snake bitten these last 4 years. 
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,465
    I am grateful for any shows and that we still have them. They are amazing and I wasted too many years not going. I will spend the rest of their touring lives trying to make up for it. 
    pjl44 said:
    Regardless of the why, the what around touring is what it is. You gotta find other bands. If your happiness is tied too closely to one or a small number of artists and their output, it's a much tougher ride.
    Agreed.
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 231
    As long as the merch train keeps rolling they don't need to tour. 
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 828
    Why not Portland Maine or New Hampshire or Vermont shows what’s up with that PJ c’mon be adventurous! You guys feel like elephants always walk the same path by the way I love Elephants! But for reelszzz you have become too predictable on your touring paths! Happy 2024 

QOTSA 2024 Euro tour:  Nurburg, Neremburg, Leciestershire, A Coruna, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Madrid, Fuengirola, Barcelona, Clisson, St. Gallen, Milan, Vitrolles, Trencin, Ostrava, Transylvania, Vienna, Zagreb, Gothenburg, Oslo, Copenhagen

Pearl Jam:  Dublin, Manchester, London, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon

I haven't even heard of some of these places in Europe (granted they are festivals in most cases on the outskirts) but would be great to have PJ play a tour like QOTSA again.  Never gonna happen and they are in two different orbits.  I get it.

I was out of town for work four weeks in a row.  Working during the day, working in the hotel at night.  It sucked and was ready to be home, but when I got home I worked just as many hours.  I just can't relate to touring being such a chore.  It frankly isn't in relation to what 95% of the population have to do to make money, but they are in the fortunate position to do what they want.  
    Don't forget exotic Oshawa, Ontario!
  • Airbnb booked for Seattle, now if only flight prices drop. Seen all 3 shows at the gorge but never in Seattle proper
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    tusevun said:
    As long as the merch train keeps rolling they don't need to tour. 
    I can't help but think they could break up tomorrow, cease all merch sales and any one of them could find other adequate sources of income pretty quickly if they had to. 

Or maybe not, and they're just lazy money grubbing pricks. I really don't know, but I do know this: if I resented this band as much as some people here seem to, I wouldn't be paying dues every year to be in their fan club. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    Just accept the fact that as a collective band, they tour as much as they want to. They need 5 guys to agree. I don't think it's a situation where one guy is calling the shots like the Foos or DMB (not to say that the Dave's don't take input from the others, but in the end, they are making the decisions).  

Total speculation, but I think with PJ, it appears that Mike and Matt really enjoy getting out and playing. As someone else said, Jeff has been on record saying he doesn't love going out on tour. Ed and Stone are probably somewhere in the middle. But in the end, all 5 guys need to be in agreement. And that's what we're getting with the tours the last 10 years or so. And ballpark shows will make them the most money in the shortest amount of time. 
    Just accept the fact that as a collective band, they tour as much as they want to. They need 5 guys to agree. I don't think it's a situation where one guy is calling the shots like the Foos or DMB (not to say that the Dave's don't take input from the others, but in the end, they are making the decisions).  

Total speculation, but I think with PJ, it appears that Mike and Matt really enjoy getting out and playing. As someone else said, Jeff has been on record saying he doesn't love going out on tour. Ed and Stone are probably somewhere in the middle. But in the end, all 5 guys need to be in agreement. And that's what we're getting with the tours the last 10 years or so. And ballpark shows will make them the most money in the shortest amount of time. 
    How pragmatic of you. 

Well said. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    edited January 3

I think you are exactly right.   They slowed down considerably after 2003 and figured out what works for them.  100% not an age issue as it started when they were in their late 30’s and early 40’s.   

I don’t have any beef with how they operate.   I should cut them some slack when I do get annoyed reading comments about how tough touring is.  I don’t know their home situation and what pressure it may put on their family.   

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945

:clap:
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • just_onejust_one Posts: 2,114
    mpedone said:

excelent post! i would just add Ed to the Mike and Matt side. He clearly loves to tour or else we wouldnt have solo tours.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    It's also funny, that even in regards to age, they're nearing the age I would like to be when I retire, but I hope they keep working for decades more :)
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 708
    demetrios said:
    AC/DC fans seem to think this is for Pearl Jam, and Pearl Jam fans seem to think it’s an AC/DC announcement.
    just_one said:
    mpedone said:

excelent post! i would just add Ed to the Mike and Matt side. He clearly loves to tour or else we wouldnt have solo tours.
    Agreed, I think Ed enjoys getting out on the road, and if I had to guess, I think he'll be at if for years to come in some capacity or another. 
This discussion has been closed.