Pearl Jam 2023 U.S. Tour Announcement

Comments

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mshnayder said:
    static111 said:
    I have been wanting an Austin show for about a decade.  Unfortunately $162 for twoish hours of music per night isn't worth it to me.   I hope that the people that do go have a great time.
    $160 WITH fees is a bargain. Quite frankly I'm surprised tickets aren't $200 a piece. PJ could easily charge Springsteen 2023 tour prices if they wanted too. I can't imagine anybody complaining about ticket prices in 2023. Cost of everything has gone up so I don't know why people are still expecting ticket prices to be the same as they were 10 years ago.

Also, have to laugh at the people in these threads complaining and saying the band is trying to make a quick buck and doesn't care about the fans and have gotten lazy. I was lucky enough to see them twice on the last tour and they have NEVER sounded better. If anything the band ages like a fine wine and if they need to play less shows per tour to keep their performance level high when they do play then so be it. Look at all these bands from their era...they are one of the last remaining ones still doing it. Each time seeing them feels lucky.

Anywho I will be making the trip from Philly to Minnesota for two shows. What are the things to do in Minneapolis/St. Paul!?? Never been! 
    First off I wasn't complaining about the price, just stating that it was too much for me to justify. 

As for the why of not agreeing with the growing cost of everything including ticket prices, because real wage growth and buying power hasn't gone up with the cost of everything else.  Even though I can afford the buy in I can't justify $162 for any band. It's ridiculous IMO.  If all seats were $162 that would be about 2.5 million in revenue for one night in Austin alone, so they are bringing in 5mn for those two night, not counting the PJ Platinum tix and merch that most of the fans are going to spend $30 to $100 a piece on per night. Drop the price to $100 and they would still bring in 1.5mn a night plus platinum and merch.  

Sorry but for all the complaining about the band coming to Texas due to all the political issues that are going on I think $162 concert tickets to hear 25 songs that I've heard them play better 20 or so times at $30-$90 a ticket is a rip off, and that goes for just about any band that is charging these prices. Compared to some other artists sure it looks like $162 a bargain, but the whole industry is out to squeeze as much money out of the audience as possible.  I don't think the show is going to be twice as good as when the tickets cost $80 just a few years ago.  More bands should take a cue from The Cure.

If you think they sound better than ever, that's great, I don't.  My last show was Miami in 2016 and while it was a great show that I really enjoyed, it was clear to me then that if the costs went up any higher that to me there would no longer be value in the exchange.  If throwing $162 bucks at a show for PJ The Boss or anyone else floats peoples boat, and they still get the same feeling and thrill as ever, great.  I love the band and the live shows, but as far as costs go they have reached my cut off point when it comes to the value that I will receive in return.  

I hope you enjoy your shows. I don't know anything about Minnesota but I'm sure you will find some great things to see and do. I hope everyone will enjoy their shows. And I hope that those that don't mind spending a weeks worth of groceries for a family of four  to see a concert don't have any problems justifying their expenses.  

To the other Texas fans that are going.  I hope you have a fantastic time and get to regale all the people complaining about our state with tales of epic PJ shows and greatness.
    I hear you. The principle is the same, but the ticket prices are actually about $130. The rest is fees. They are showing the total cost this time, so fans can better estimate expenses.
    I am not going to all the shows I would like, because I can't justify the overall cost either. But I'm going to some. All my vacation money usually goes to PJ and a national park, for 25 years (before that it was cheap!).
    Yeah I had a good ride with PJ, when I was making less than a quarter of my current income!  If the value and purchasing power of the dollar goes up to the level of the current price increases I will definitely attend a show in the future.  At this time it just doesn't line up.
    Yeah I totally get where your coming from and I agree! I don’t go to any shows anymore unless I can walk in a club and see an upcoming band or bands that never made it big but still put out great music and can only play smaller venues. The last time I had PJ tickets was for Baltimore before that was Fenway 16 1st night, so this time I put in for Chicago II I have no problem seeing them every 5years.

Same.  there are so many great acts to see for under $50 that are amazing.  It's hard to spend so much more to go to a giant arena.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,065
    edited April 2023
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mshnayder said:
    static111 said:
    I have been wanting an Austin show for about a decade.  Unfortunately $162 for twoish hours of music per night isn't worth it to me.   I hope that the people that do go have a great time.
    $160 WITH fees is a bargain. Quite frankly I'm surprised tickets aren't $200 a piece. PJ could easily charge Springsteen 2023 tour prices if they wanted too. I can't imagine anybody complaining about ticket prices in 2023. Cost of everything has gone up so I don't know why people are still expecting ticket prices to be the same as they were 10 years ago.

Also, have to laugh at the people in these threads complaining and saying the band is trying to make a quick buck and doesn't care about the fans and have gotten lazy. I was lucky enough to see them twice on the last tour and they have NEVER sounded better. If anything the band ages like a fine wine and if they need to play less shows per tour to keep their performance level high when they do play then so be it. Look at all these bands from their era...they are one of the last remaining ones still doing it. Each time seeing them feels lucky.

Anywho I will be making the trip from Philly to Minnesota for two shows. What are the things to do in Minneapolis/St. Paul!?? Never been! 
    First off I wasn't complaining about the price, just stating that it was too much for me to justify. 

As for the why of not agreeing with the growing cost of everything including ticket prices, because real wage growth and buying power hasn't gone up with the cost of everything else.  Even though I can afford the buy in I can't justify $162 for any band. It's ridiculous IMO.  If all seats were $162 that would be about 2.5 million in revenue for one night in Austin alone, so they are bringing in 5mn for those two night, not counting the PJ Platinum tix and merch that most of the fans are going to spend $30 to $100 a piece on per night. Drop the price to $100 and they would still bring in 1.5mn a night plus platinum and merch.  

Sorry but for all the complaining about the band coming to Texas due to all the political issues that are going on I think $162 concert tickets to hear 25 songs that I've heard them play better 20 or so times at $30-$90 a ticket is a rip off, and that goes for just about any band that is charging these prices. Compared to some other artists sure it looks like $162 a bargain, but the whole industry is out to squeeze as much money out of the audience as possible.  I don't think the show is going to be twice as good as when the tickets cost $80 just a few years ago.  More bands should take a cue from The Cure.

If you think they sound better than ever, that's great, I don't.  My last show was Miami in 2016 and while it was a great show that I really enjoyed, it was clear to me then that if the costs went up any higher that to me there would no longer be value in the exchange.  If throwing $162 bucks at a show for PJ The Boss or anyone else floats peoples boat, and they still get the same feeling and thrill as ever, great.  I love the band and the live shows, but as far as costs go they have reached my cut off point when it comes to the value that I will receive in return.  

I hope you enjoy your shows. I don't know anything about Minnesota but I'm sure you will find some great things to see and do. I hope everyone will enjoy their shows. And I hope that those that don't mind spending a weeks worth of groceries for a family of four  to see a concert don't have any problems justifying their expenses.  

To the other Texas fans that are going.  I hope you have a fantastic time and get to regale all the people complaining about our state with tales of epic PJ shows and greatness.
    I hear you. The principle is the same, but the ticket prices are actually about $130. The rest is fees. They are showing the total cost this time, so fans can better estimate expenses.
    I am not going to all the shows I would like, because I can't justify the overall cost either. But I'm going to some. All my vacation money usually goes to PJ and a national park, for 25 years (before that it was cheap!).
    Yeah I had a good ride with PJ, when I was making less than a quarter of my current income!  If the value and purchasing power of the dollar goes up to the level of the current price increases I will definitely attend a show in the future.  At this time it just doesn't line up.
    Yeah I totally get where your coming from and I agree! I don’t go to any shows anymore unless I can walk in a club and see an upcoming band or bands that never made it big but still put out great music and can only play smaller venues. The last time I had PJ tickets was for Baltimore before that was Fenway 16 1st night, so this time I put in for Chicago II I have no problem seeing them every 5years.

Same.  there are so many great acts to see for under $50 that are amazing.  It's hard to spend so much more to go to a giant arena.
    Opposite for me. I would rather pay extra to see the best live band in the world.  I am not saying the other acts are not worthy but this is Pearl Jam we are talking about. I get some have seen them for decades now and had their fill and I respect that.
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,480
    I’m for both! I’ll pay to see PJ, as they are one of the best live acts (and my absolute favorite). Also, I love going to smaller venues and getting right up on the stage. Just this past year, saw Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Drive-By Truckers, got right up to the stage, all for $50! 
  • Options
    I’m for both! I’ll pay to see PJ, as they are one of the best live acts (and my absolute favorite). Also, I love going to smaller venues and getting right up on the stage. Just this past year, saw Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Drive-By Truckers, got right up to the stage, all for $50! 
    Sounds like a great time!
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    Walked my ticket buddy through the process of entering the lottery. A tradition unlike any other...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,652
    Same. I go to 50 concerts a year. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,356
    mshnayder said:
    static111 said:

The prices are a bit higher than I like. I just saw RHCP a few weeks ago and got 2 tickets for the price of 1 PJ ticket. I'm also paying the same amount for a day pass to Ohana. I love PJ, but prices are making it hard for me to justify seeing them for both shows in St. Paul.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    A Mike Patton FanA Mike Patton Fan Near Milwaukee Posts: 30
    I’m not not saying I’m not going to see the band in Chicago, but $17 for Ticketbastard & $4 facility fee is a joke. Never been to United Center, but I wonder if they will charge $15-20 just to park your vehicle. 🤔
  • Options
    Doug87Doug87 Posts: 442
    edited April 2023
    I’m not not saying I’m not going to see the band in Chicago, but $17 for Ticketbastard & $4 facility fee is a joke. Never been to United Center, but I wonder if they will charge $15-20 just to park your vehicle. 🤔
    Try $30-35 to park at the UC.

$27 or so on Spot Hero.

steep for sure
    Post edited by Doug87 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053
    15-20$ to park is cheap!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    purplecowpurplecow Posts: 101
    Some real boomer perspectives in this thread on the value of seeing live shows by legendary bands in 2023
  • Options
    purplecow said:
    Some real boomer perspectives in this thread on the value of seeing live shows by legendary bands in 2023
    I'm a millennial and the value of seeing a live band is not $162 at least to me
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    purplecow said:
    Sounds more like broke millennials and Gen Zers. 
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • Options
    sedge75sedge75 Posts: 29
    others than me have problems when validating payment information with a foreign card during the presale?
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,012
    I think regarding prices - one thing that works ok is most PJ fans are probably in their 40s or 50s. And most people make a lot more money in their 40s or 50s than they did in their 20s or 30s. $162 still seems to fall below average for bands of this caliber. Maybe the only thing I'd call overpriced (IMO) are the back/obstructed view seats, which strangely arent discounted compared to the front seats.

We're down to under 12 hours left to enter the lottery drawing. Good luck all!
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,819
    mcgruff10 said:
    15-20$ to park is cheap!
    Kia Forum was 60 bucks. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 779
    My only realistic suggestion would be to get an opener with a bit more of a name. Silversun Pickups, Band of Horses, Grouplove or something along those lines.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,791
    Openers are a waste of time. It just means a shorter set
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Openers are a waste of time. It just means a shorter set
    I disagree.  My favorite tour was '98 and one of the best things was all of the varied opening bands.  I think I got to see Sonic Youth/Pearl Jam, Iggy Pop/Pearl Jam and Cheap Trick (with Ed cameo on Surrender)/Pearl Jam.  I love when shows have great opening bands.  
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    I forgot the insanity of angry that comes with a PJ tour. 40 mins outside of Boston. Am I bummed they’re not playing in New England ? Of course I am. Am I upset and angry ? Nope happy for those that will get a chance to see them or travel , not in my budget to travel.  Fingers crossed for Boston 2024 !!! To all those going enjoy the best live band out there that still gives it all for their fans. 
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    One small caveat would be Seattle folks , I just assume you play your hometown. If PJ was from Boston I would be a little WTF on them not playing a show since 2018 in Seattle. Other than that it is what it is. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,473
    purplecow said:
    I see a lot of opinions in this thread. Which one are you calling the "boomer perspective?"
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    I have registered for the Fort Worth shows using ticket master link and I received this email note below.

Question:  Is this the just the verified fan or the ten club?, this is confusing. How does ticket master know I am a 10c member?

We have Received Your Registration for the Pearl Jam Verified Fan Onsale

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,065
    G-force said:
    I have registered for the Fort Worth shows using ticket master link and I received this email note below.

Question:  Is this the just the verified fan or the ten club?, this is confusing. How does ticket master know I am a 10c member?

We have Received Your Registration for the Pearl Jam Verified Fan Onsale

It says right there is for verified fan. You better hurry use this link for 10C

https://pearljam.com/get-tickets
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    holy crap. I missed it.  thanks for the heads up however.

• Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 805
    Completely missed it too.. no excuses only been doing this for 23 years. 

Looking for a Single for Indy or FW night 2
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,185
    It's a lot more than that. But, depending on where you are staying, just uber or take the metro there.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    A948915A948915 Missouri Posts: 9
    This is my first lottery. I signed up and got confirmation and everything but I just happed to look at my tickets in the drop down box and it says I haven’t entered in any drawings. Is this normal?
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,335
    A948915 said:
    This is my first lottery. I signed up and got confirmation and everything but I just happed to look at my tickets in the drop down box and it says I haven’t entered in any drawings. Is this normal?
    If you’re referring to the drop down box on the 10c site, nothing would be listed there since the lottery is being run by Ticketstoday (the company that sent you the email confirmation), as opposed to through the 10c website. So don’t sweat it! You’ll receive another email from Ticketstoday letting you know whether you were selected for tickets. 
  • Options
    weeone12weeone12 Posts: 74
    anyone receive notification about tix yet?
    [X]  Barrie, Ontario (August 22, 1998)
    [X]  Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000)
    [X]  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (September 05, 2000)
    [X]  Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000)
    [X]  Toronto, Ontario (June 28, 2003)
    [X]  Montreal, Quebec (June 29, 2003)
    [X]  Hamilton, Ontario (September 13, 2005)
    [X]  Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006)
    [X]  Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006)
    [X]  Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009)
    [X]  Cleveland, OH (May 09, 2010)
    [X]  Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010)
    [X]  Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011)
    [X]  Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011)
    [X]  Hamilton, Ontario (September 15, 2011)
    [X]  Budweiser Gardens (July 16, 2013)
    [X]  Detroit, MI (October 16, 2014)
    [X]  Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016)
    [X]  Hamilton (September 06, 2022)
    [X]  Toronto (September 08, 2022)