10 Club “Dating Service” Mission Accomplished..

Hey all you fellow 10 Clubbers. If you’re into stories, I’m kind of in the need to share one. I hope it provides some sort of entertainment. Yada yada yada, here it goes. So back in 2013, I got freshly kicked out of my place of living. I had just started community college, had a part time job at a green house, and was doing what I could to pay my way. I figured, oh shit, Soundgarden is making their return, I gotta see them! So I bought a ticket to their first night in Chicago. Now at the show “Spoonman” plays, gets to the breakdown, the crowd shifts like a human ocean wave. I get taken off my feet (from like 7 rows from front) and am at the “crest”. Within that time all sound shuts off in my head, except for when I’m raised so high up that my fingers strum Chris’ ES-335 (pretty sure that’s what I touched). Aaand show is over and I’m kicked out of my house because I went. 
-Fast forward, I get back to a familiar suburban town, I’m sleeping at my buddy’s and one of the very next days I surf the web. I go to the ol PJ forum and at that time, the “Pearl Jam Dating Service” was like 10ish years old. Even then, I thought, “that’s fuggin stupid who would even-“
I would, I would even. I clicked that shit so fast cos it was so funny I just had to know what it was about. 
-All yall motherfuggers were putting your ASL. The show Catfish just came out. I’m like eeeee I don’t know about this. I find older posts from when current age was practically a baby compared to who was posting. I then scroll forward and find someone my age. She says “she’s of the female variety”. Sick, someone with humor, a PJ fan who’s actually a club member. Can’t find too many 18/19 year olds like that at the time. 
We messaged each other from the forum, on Facebook, then to text. We weren’t totally 100% each other was real cos (catfish just came out) and just naturally suspicious. So we Skype..
YOU’RE REAL THANK FRIGGN GOODNESS!
from late January until may of that year. We talked every day except maybe one or two days. That’s some real shit considering I knew dick about dating. Pearl Jam announced their first Wrigley show (2013). I wanted to simply invite her out and see the show together. She only has seen EV in ‘12 ABQ. And I only seen PJ Chi 2 ‘09. We should see them together at Wrigley! So I thought. Yet I knew, no parent would allow their kid, 18+ or not, to visit chicago for the first time with some stranger. So I knew I had to visit ABQ, NM first. Which, was my first plane trip ever. And then I did it! I met her family in Albuquerque and it was great. Her dad gave me the ol “don’t fuck around with my daughter because I’m crazy”/wave a gun at me- welcoming, but hey, we buds now. 
-I visited, it was our first meet, we were in love. I visited a 2nd time, all the same feels. She visited IL, we established what we were gonna do moving forward as a couple. Then by July 2014, she moved out to good ol Lisle, IL with me. We got to see RNDM twice, saw Pearl Jam all other 4 times at Wrigley, saw Chris Cornell at Chicago Theatre, and soooo many other shows. Now Fall of 2018 comes around, we drive/move to Albuquerque. We been here since. Got to wait a good amount of years to finally go to PJ Denver 2022. It was magical.

all of this y’all, all of this and so much more adds to what our relationship has become. The ups and downs of it all. We are about to hit our 10 year anniversary. My ass is finally going to drop to the knee and propose. Part of me wishes I could do it on my birthday and visit Seattle for the exhibit going away party but that’s a lot of $$$. All sorts of different ideas popped up, but I still can’t quite decide. With a month away I at least I bought a ring, have a set day, but now I just have to decide how to do it. However, I’d like to hear what fellow Pearl Jam “aficionados” would suggest. I just want to hear suggestions and maybe I’ll get inspired. I’m only revealing my heart on a sleeve to a fan club I respect and love, so please be kind 😭 🤙 ❤️

“I don’t know where I’m going
I don’t know what I need
but I’ll get to where I’m gonna end up
And that’s all right by me” 
Hey nanana
ain't that somethin
PJ Chi 2--08-24-2009
SG Chi 1--01-23-2013
PJ Wrigley--07-19-2013
CCornell Chi--10-06-2015
PJ Wrigley--08-20 & 22 2016
PJ Wrigley--08-18 & 20 2018
Denver— 09-22-2022

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    This is great!  Congrats.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,294
    Congrats and great to hear!

Awesome story. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,695
    Congrats, happy for you both!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Cheers to love ❤️ 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • treestrees Posts: 1,866
     Congratulations  I went to those two RNDM shows in Chicago IL. They were Great 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,111
    mazel tov to you both. such a beautiful story of how this band has done so much more than music.
    met my wife only because back on Feb 3, 1998 i was holding a Yield cd in my hand..."If I had known then what I know now..." LOL
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,979
    Sweet. Follow your heart. Thanks for sharing your special love story. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,979
    Tape ring to a framed poster of your first show together.  'while she stares at it and sees ring...
  • potnikpotnik Posts: 459
    Loujoe said:
    Tape ring to a framed poster of your first show together.  'while she stares at it and sees ring...
    Clever, like that. 

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations. Didn't meet my wife through Pearl Jam, but have shared so many wonderful memories at concerts. Enjoy every moment, it all goes so fast. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    That's awesome! BIG congrats to you both!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,830
    Great story, congrats to you both!

MoPop exhibit is only a few weeks from closing - but there's plenty of ideas you could do...
    • Hit up a show on the upcoming tour (or Ohana) and see if you can get the board to help with a song request
    • Hit up a show and propose there, pick up a poster to commemorate (fingers crossed it's a good one)
    • Seattle trip, check out the city and tour London Bridge Studio where they recorded Ten
    • If you're a Jack White fan, record your proposal on a record in Nashville/Detroit Third Man Records booths and play it for her
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,497
    I met my partner through pj.
    Great story 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 945
    Love is a good thing. So long as it’s from the heart whatever you go with will be the right thing. Congrats!
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,138
    Congratulations! 
    Lovely story. 
    As for proposing, though you met through the band, maybe it should be focussed on your journey together. A simple walk where you enjoy being whilst talking through your favourite show maybe. Doesn’t have to be big to be special. 
    (I’m hoping she doesn’t read the forums anymore lol) 

(Me and my boyfriend also got together through Pearl Jam/the forum. So many relationships have been formed is such a cool thing that the band probably have no idea about!) 
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • I sincerely appreciate all the responses. Thank you all so much. I dig the couple ideas you’ve thrown my way. And thankfully she doesn’t check on here too much (as far as I know) lol.
    May 10th is the day, heheh. Got the ring on the way, but I’m definitely agreeing with it doesn’t have to be big to be special. Just so stoked we’ve been together for so long and can’t wait to finally propose. Whooo baby, my nerves got me good now. Can only imagine on the day of hahah
    Hey nanana
    ain't that somethin
    PJ Chi 2--08-24-2009
    SG Chi 1--01-23-2013
    PJ Wrigley--07-19-2013
    CCornell Chi--10-06-2015
    Denver— 09-22-2022
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,181
    Great story 
    Same. :) 

• demetrios said:
    Great story 

I’d love to hear your guys’ stories!
    Hey nanana
    ain't that somethin
    PJ Chi 2--08-24-2009
    SG Chi 1--01-23-2013
    PJ Wrigley--07-19-2013
    CCornell Chi--10-06-2015
    Denver— 09-22-2022
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,480
    edited April 2023
    demetrios said:
    Great story 

I’d love to hear your guys’ stories!
    I met my wife through a mutual friend.  We were at the same World Cup gathering in 2006, but due to the early start time of the match, I was still a bit groggy so I wasn't my normally charming self!  We started running into each other at PJ shows that summer (we both have 5-digit 10C numbers), and a few months later, I asked our mutual friend if I could get the future-wife's email address/phone number.

We went to dinner and had a lovely conversation.  She is a doctor and she was telling me about doing rounds at juvenile hall during her training.  I asked her what year she was there, and then shook my head as to express that I wasn't there when she was (it was a joke...had never been in juvie).  She was a bit shocked until she realized I was joking.

I proposed to her a few years later at Disneyland in front of Mickey Mouse!

Fast forward to current day, we have been married for almost 13 years!
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Congrats on all that. I love a good PJ meet story, lol.

Honestly, a lot can go wrong with a complicated proposal. My own opinion is that simple yet romantic (and relatively private!) is best. Good luck to you both!!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata