Record Store Day April 22nd release of Pearl Jam's Give Way on Vinyl & CD. Clear vinyl Up @ 10club!

Comments

• fafane45fafane45 Posts: 90
    So good.
    I got the album from Qobuz.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,242
    Thanks for the heads up. I grabbed this one. 
    Awesome. Glad to hear!
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    The 18,000 copies could be good enough for it to make the top 50. The streaming won't make much difference 
    I miss igotid88
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 939
    artforbw said:
    Zod said:
    lolobugg said:
    Zod said:
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    who wants that shit?
    I think she’s sold something like 600,000 VINYL records this calendar year so far, so I’d say way more people want this “shit” than anything else. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it since Michael Jackson’s heyday.
    sad state of the world, my friend.

I mean just because someone plays a genre of music many of us aren't that into, makes it sad.   At least a bunch of people are enjoying her music.  I do remember seeing her on the grammies maybe 10 years ago. I think when she was shifting from country to pop, but it was just her and a piano.  She killed it.. so she's got talent, but most of the time plays a genre of music I don't appreciate it :)
    I would say hooray for the record stores but they don't make anything off of new albums. maybe some of her fans will pick up some used records while they are in the store. pre-packaged pop music isn't my bag. 

Wait, record stores don't make money on selling new vinyl?  That can't be true?  Isn't the bulk of what most stores sell new pressings?
    Nope. The profit margin is very small on new records. They make the bulk of their money on selling used records.
    Plus, unsold new records are not returnable to their distributor, so they are stuck with the ones that don't sell.
    This info comes from people I know that own record stores.
    This is somewhat accurate. I ran a music store for years. The margins are indeed small but they aren't selling new vinyl just to break even. That's why record store sell much other crap. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    ZoSoTim said:
    artforbw said:
    Zod said:
    lolobugg said:
    Zod said:
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    who wants that shit?
    I think she’s sold something like 600,000 VINYL records this calendar year so far, so I’d say way more people want this “shit” than anything else. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it since Michael Jackson’s heyday.

I mean just because someone plays a genre of music many of us aren't that into, makes it sad.   At least a bunch of people are enjoying her music.  I do remember seeing her on the grammies maybe 10 years ago. I think when she was shifting from country to pop, but it was just her and a piano.  She killed it.. so she's got talent, but most of the time plays a genre of music I don't appreciate it :)
    I would say hooray for the record stores but they don't make anything off of new albums. maybe some of her fans will pick up some used records while they are in the store. pre-packaged pop music isn't my bag. 

Wait, record stores don't make money on selling new vinyl?  That can't be true?  Isn't the bulk of what most stores sell new pressings?
    Nope. The profit margin is very small on new records. They make the bulk of their money on selling used records.
    Plus, unsold new records are not returnable to their distributor, so they are stuck with the ones that don't sell.
    This is somewhat accurate. I ran a music store for years. The margins are indeed small but they aren't selling new vinyl just to break even. That's why record store sell much other crap. 
    If that's true, then RSD isn't really about the small record stores. Its more of a way for big names to push more sales. Taylor sold 75,000 copies at $45 each, and the store got a very little cut of that? She made out pretty well then. But kind of defeats the purpose of RSD doesn't it?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited April 2023
    mace1229 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    artforbw said:
    Zod said:
    lolobugg said:
    Zod said:
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    who wants that shit?

If that's true, then RSD isn't really about the small record stores. Its more of a way for big names to push more sales. Taylor sold 75,000 copies at $45 each, and the store got a very little cut of that? She made out pretty well then. But kind of defeats the purpose of RSD doesn't it?
    In Sweden the margin is de facto always 33% for the store. 25% is sales tax. The rest is the price set by the label.

Except for Eddie Vedder's Earthling where my friend's record store had to lower the margin % to not have the album break 500 SEK (50 dollars) which he felt was too obscene a price to put out in the store.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CooterCooter Posts: 157
    mace1229 said:
    I’m surprised the Swift album is gone everywhere.
    at my local store i arrived exactly when they opened. Took about 25 minutes to get in. As I was leaving there was no line left anymore and the owner announced there were extra Taylor albums for anyone who wanted to buy 2 (was a limit of 1)
    I also wonder how many of those 75,000 copies were sent out. Entirely possible stores didn’t order dozens and there still thousands more n a warehouse I would think. For her to sell 75,000 copies kind of blows my mind if she did.
    Not to pull back the curtain too far, but there are zero copies of the Taylor Swift RSD title sitting in a warehouse. That title, along with many of the bigger titles was allocated by the supplier to the distributor who then had to allocate to retailers. Basically, on a title like Taylor Swift almost every store got less than what they ordered/wanted. Now granted, a place in NYC will sell out of its allocation in seconds when a store in no-place middle America might get three copies and still have one for sale today.

That said, sometimes supply outstrips demand and I can confirm that there will be some RSD restock orders going in this week. No Taylor Swift, but about 100 titles including both the CD/Vinyl of Give Way. So, if you missed out on it Saturday, I'd implore your local record store to place a restock order for them this week. Not sure how many PJ numbers are left with the supplier, but it might be an avenue to get one at close to MSRP.
  • That Mike/Stone but at the end of In My Tree is so good.
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,087
    @Santos L. Halper should we be waiting on a psst today?
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 939
    mace1229 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    artforbw said:
    Zod said:
    lolobugg said:
    Zod said:
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    who wants that shit?

Maybe things have changed in the last few years but I have a good friend that still owns a record store in Dallas. When we last discussed the issue he told me they made more on RSD than the rest of the year combined. It really does help keep indie stores afloat. Now I will say that RSD isn't quite as big as it used to be but he still does great business. The biggest complaint he had was that they really don't have any control over how much they get of a record and they can't return anything. Several years ago there was a Phish box set that came out and I think he got about 100 copies which was probably at least 80 too many.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    tdawe said:
    I hope so. 🤞
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • PredakingPredaking Posts: 282
    edited April 2023
    Man, Yield-era PJ is something else. In My Tree from this show was great, and I'm digging Jack's work on SOLAT.

Hopefully there are a few copies of Give Way lying around 10C. If not, I'll live - Apple Music in the office for the win. 
    Post edited by Predaking on
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,596
    Predaking said:
    Man, Yeild-era PJ is something else. In My Tree from this show was great, and I'm digging Jack's work on SOLAT.

Hopefully there are a few copies of Give Way lying around 10C. If not, I'll live - Apple Music in the office for the win. 
    Hope so too. Love your handle, btw. No other Combiner looked as cool as Predaking🤘
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,966
    tdawe said:
    Always. The dog doesn't do tricks for no treats. (Starbucks giftcard in the mail) ruff, ruff. very goooood doggie.
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 708
    Waiting on that variant...
  • matt84 said:
    Post 2020 that takes on a sinister tone for some reason...
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    matt84 said:
    Post 2020 that takes on a sinister tone for some reason...
    😆 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    iso CD of Give Way

if anybody has an extra, or knows where i could find one, give me a holler please B)

thanks
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,110
    alphawolf said:
    iso CD of Give Way

if anybody has an extra, or knows where i could find one, give me a holler please B)

thanks
    Looks like the RSD CD is on Amazon 
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,271
    Fcuk just got ripped off on discogs, beware of seller Trestomusic.  Think they’ve been removed. 
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
    Go Animal said:
    Predaking said:
    Man, Yeild-era PJ is something else. In My Tree from this show was great, and I'm digging Jack's work on SOLAT.

Hope so too. Love your handle, btw. No other Combiner looked as cool as Predaking🤘
    Thanks - never owned any Predacons, but always loved the non- "Scramble City" style combiners. And Predaking was always so cool being the combined form of normal sized Transformers. 

Now, bring on some overstock "Give Way" records!
  • AJ14630AJ14630 Posts: 5
    Horse2345 said:
    Fcuk just got ripped off on discogs, beware of seller Trestomusic.  Think they’ve been removed. 
    Same.  I ended up getting instant refund on one purchase.  Other still pending.
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    KM73780 said:
    alphawolf said:
    iso CD of Give Way

thanks
    Looks like the RSD CD is on Amazon 
    Thanks for the heads up! ⭐️ 
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,156
    Pearl Jam Give Way (RSD 4.22.23) Music CDs https://a.co/d/aXGn3yw

• a5pja5pj Posts: 3,877
    Gonna check the store by me, not looking good for the pj release if not up already, maybe 1...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 237
    Beds are burning intro to Corduroy. 

Chefs kiss. 
    Refreshing this thread, the forum, and shop all in multiple tabs. It's like I'm trying for tickets!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Cmon variant!!!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 590
    Up
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008