Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,970
    edited March 2023
    Jumb0 said:
    Man that opening was tough last night. 
    yeah it was....that rampage Joel went on kicked ass though
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Good show. At least for me, I like how what you think joel should do and what you want him to do are different
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Pretty much everything, except the opening when Ellie was born, was exactly the same as the game.  I thought they would have mixed it up a bit, but I'm kinda glad they didn't.  Friggen loved it!
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Pretty much everything, except the opening when Ellie was born, was exactly the same as the game.  I thought they would have mixed it up a bit, but I'm kinda glad they didn't.  Friggen loved it!
    so in the game I assume Joel's killing spree in the hospital is a bitch to get through?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    We finally watched the finale last night....holy crap. Like someone else mentioned, that opening scene was intense. Ellie's Mom had a plan and whoever did the casting did a great job - those actresses really look alike.

Joel's rampage was amazing - so determined to save her. S2 should be a good one - I just wish we didn't have to wait a year for it!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    edited March 2023
    mfc2006 said:
    We finally watched the finale last night....holy crap. Like someone else mentioned, that opening scene was intense. Ellie's Mom had a plan and whoever did the casting did a great job - those actresses really look alike.

Joel's rampage was amazing - so determined to save her. S2 should be a good one - I just wish we didn't have to wait a year for it!
    She does Ellie's voice in the video game. She also was the youngest daughter in Growing Pains
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    igotid88 said:
    mfc2006 said:

She does Ellie's voice in the video game. She also was the youngest daughter in Growing Pains
    I didn't know about her doing the voice from the game until we watched the inside the episode after the show...very cool. We did recognize her, though and my wife looked her up real quick and we realized it was from Growing Pains. Great job on the casting, though.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    mca47 said:
    so in the game I assume Joel's killing spree in the hospital is a bitch to get through?
    Yeah that part was a little over the top.  All of a sudden Joel turns into John Wick and kills 20 people to get out of the hospital.  But overall a really great season.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mfc2006 said:

before I knew what was happening, I thought that was Ellie in a flash forward. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mca47 said:
    Yeah, you have to more or less fight your way to the operating room.  If I recall (it's been a while since I've played it), the FireFly soldiers were tough and had really powerful weapons.  It was kind of like the show....ammo was limited so it was killing and using that gun or any other weapon you could find. 
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Yeah that part was a little over the top.  All of a sudden Joel turns into John Wick and kills 20 people to get out of the hospital.  But overall a really great season.
    They were talking about that during the Last of Us podcast.  The show runner and the game creator mentioned how they wanted to truly show what Joel, when healthy, was capable of.  He's ability and history was mentioned earlier in the season when Tommy's fiance told Ellie what he was capable of and his past, which included killing innocent people.  
    They mentioned how they wanted to show Joel in a determined manner, where time almost slowed down for him.  He was going to get to her no matter what.  They also said that they had showed the Firefly's being off guard, not expecting something like that to happen, and generally scared to death at what was happening.  They were more or less doing another mundane security shift when all of that went down.
    Check out the podcast.  They do a much better job in explaining the how and why.  
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    For someone who’s never played the game and hasn’t given the game much consideration, when you play, do you play as Joel?! Are there any other options ie Ellie? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    For someone who’s never played the game and hasn’t given the game much consideration, when you play, do you play as Joel?! Are there any other options ie Ellie? 
    You play as both at different points, usually playing as Ellie if they are split up like in the scenes with David when Joel is out of it
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    mca47 said:
    They were talking about that during the Last of Us podcast.  The show runner and the game creator mentioned how they wanted to truly show what Joel, when healthy, was capable of.  He's ability and history was mentioned earlier in the season when Tommy's fiance told Ellie what he was capable of and his past, which included killing innocent people.  
    They mentioned how they wanted to show Joel in a determined manner, where time almost slowed down for him.  He was going to get to her no matter what.  They also said that they had showed the Firefly's being off guard, not expecting something like that to happen, and generally scared to death at what was happening.  They were more or less doing another mundane security shift when all of that went down.
    Check out the podcast.  They do a much better job in explaining the how and why.  
    I loved that single shot rifle he had....just blowing holes in bitches

• Options
    You play as both at different points, usually playing as Ellie if they are split up like in the scenes with David when Joel is out of it
    Yeah, you play as Joel up to the point where he gets injured, then it switches to Ellie.  It was cool the first time playing it as it was unexpected, but totally made sense.  Then, after the David "episode", it went back to Joel. 
  • Options
    I didn't want the game to spoil the show, so I'll continue the game this weekend. looking forward to it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I didn't want the game to spoil the show, so I'll continue the game this weekend. looking forward to it. 
    Well, now you know how it ends.  Hahaha!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,554
    edited March 2023
    Oh no. Henry and Sam.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    if I can even get there. I'm so far out of the loop of these types of games, I'm fucking terrible at them. I was good in my PS2 phase, but that was 20 years ago. I tried COD with a friend and I couldn't even understand what was going on on the screen. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mca47 said:
    if I can even get there. I'm so far out of the loop of these types of games, I'm fucking terrible at them. I was good in my PS2 phase, but that was 20 years ago. I tried COD with a friend and I couldn't even understand what was going on on the screen. 
    yeah I used to love Modern Warfare on xbox...I think it may have been MW2....then it just started getting harder to me. The Halo players took over and just slaughtered everyone.

The first online game I got for the original xbox was Ghost Recon. Great game. It got to the point where there were only like 20 people playing it online and it was really fun.

I always liked sniping from a nice spot. In GR you always spawned from the same spot unlike COD. Sometimes the enemy team would have your spawn zone locked down so you would get killed immediately upon spawning.

• Options
    I bought some of the more popular titles when I got my PS4. bought Ghost of Tsushima and I'm fucking lost, pretty early on. Just riding around on my horse trying to find what to do. lol. I gave up. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mca47 said:
    I still play and love videogames, but I'm not nearly as good at them as I was in the past.  Learning a new game takes waaaay longer than it used to.  This is also why I can't play multiple games at once anymore.  Learning controls, remembering what to do...nope!  I stick with one until I beat it, then move on.  I recently did another run through Elden Ring.  I beat it twice before, but re-learning the controls again took some time, and that didn't make any sense to me. LOL!
  • Options
    I had a few spots in MW that I loved to snipe from. I would get a silenced M-16 and some claymores and camp out.

Once you lost your claymores you could get snuck up on but then you would displace and wait for the fucker to come back. I miss that game.

• Options
    mca47 said:
    I was wanting to pay the game after the show started. But we just got the Wii 2 years ago. Will probably be another 10 years before I get whatever console handles this.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Just finished this.  What a great show.  The Sam and Henry part was dumb.  Ellie and the Mall scene was dragged out.  My only two real complaints.

I did find it interesting that Ellie is gay in the game.  I don't game too much but that is the first time I had ever heard of that in a game.  That is pretty groundbreaking.

So the end scene.  Joel gives up the notion of anyone ever being cured to save Ellie?  Because they don't have Ellies brain parts to use they can't make a cure?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Just finished this.  What a great show.  The Sam and Henry part was dumb.  Ellie and the Mall scene was dragged out.  My only two real complaints.

I did find it interesting that Ellie is gay in the game.  I don't game too much but that is the first time I had ever heard of that in a game.  That is pretty groundbreaking.

So the end scene.  Joel gives up the notion of anyone ever being cured to save Ellie?  Because they don't have Ellies brain parts to use they can't make a cure?
    Those were my two complaints too. Overall loved the show.
    Never played the game, I was curious if she was gay in the game or if that added that for the show.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    mace1229 said:

Never played the game, I was curious if she was gay in the game or if that added that for the show.
    I thought for sure they had added it to the show as it seems like a requirement now but no, they had her gay in the game so that is truly remarkable and groundbreaking and surprised that we hadn't heard more about it from angry homophobes, lol.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I thought for sure they had added it to the show as it seems like a requirement now but no, they had her gay in the game so that is truly remarkable and groundbreaking and surprised that we hadn't heard more about it from angry homophobes, lol.
    Yeah, she was a lesbian in the first game.  It wasn't overly obvious (to my recollection, as it's been a while) until the DLC came out which was more or less the "mall episode".  That DLC made a lot of anti-gay folks mad at the game.  What's weird is how that group didn't seem to upset about Bill being gay, but they couldn't stomach the idea that Ellie was.
    I do feel this is why so many people were upset with the second game too.  One of many reasons, but i'll leave it at that...
  • Options

Can't really get into that last part, but what would you have done?  Joel, failing to protect his daughter Sarah, then developing what amounted to a dad-daughter bond again with Ellie.  Then Ellie being forced to undergo an unconsented procedure that will kill her, for an unproven "cure".  I can't say I blame him.  
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Can't really get into that last part, but what would you have done?  Joel, failing to protect his daughter Sarah, then developing what amounted to a dad-daughter bond again with Ellie.  Then Ellie being forced to undergo an unconsented procedure that will kill her, for an unproven "cure".  I can't say I blame him.  
    I definitely don't blame him. But I don't see the fireflies as evil either. They had a chance to save what was left of humanity, and took it at the cost of 1 life. I have a hard timr saying either one was in the wrong.