Options

The Last of Us

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    edited February 2023
    Might be a coincidence but Pearl Jam just uploaded All or None on their YouTube page.
    Don't take this as fact
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Might be a coincidence but Pearl Jam just uploaded All or None on their YouTube page.
    Don't take this as fact
    Okay. Now do
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    yeah that was a surprise...I wish they wouldn't have cut it off so quickly though
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Wasn’t too impressed last night. Another episode like the one about Bill. No advancement of the story and spend the hour giving a backstory on a character of no importance because they die at the end. Was a filler episode to get to the number they needed I guess.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Wasn’t too impressed last night. Another episode like the one about Bill. No advancement of the story and spend the hour giving a backstory on a character of no importance because they die at the end. Was a filler episode to get to the number they needed I guess.
    yeah it was a bit drawn out...and I didn't even realize that was a flashback

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,790
    mace1229 said:
    Jumped back in because my wife promised me after episode 3 it got really good. And she was right. Ep 5 was one of my favorite hours of television. But after this past episode, I don’t know. Seemed absolutely pointless. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Jumped back in because my wife promised me after episode 3 it got really good. And she was right. Ep 5 was one of my favorite hours of television. But after this past episode, I don’t know. Seemed absolutely pointless. 
    that probably means the next episode will make up for it...Game of Thrones was kind of set up like that too

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    that probably means the next episode will make up for it...Game of Thrones was kind of set up like that too
    Hope you’re right. 
  • Options
    It's like you guys never watched TV shows before. I didn't have a problem with the last episode. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I wish I could just wait until a season is done and then binge it. I forget too much shit week to week. An episode like this last one would be fine in that format in my opinion.

• Options
    igotid88 said:
    It's like you guys never watched TV shows before. I didn't have a problem with the last episode. 
    Not sure what exactly this means. But ok. I never watched tV because I didn’t enjoy the last episode? 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Not sure what exactly this means. But ok. I never watched tV because I didn’t enjoy the last episode? 
    No. That every episode has to be a certain way.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    I loved the last episode (#7).  Granted, I also played that "episode" in the game (or technically after) and was looking forward to it.  I think it's important to show Ellie's background, who she was before everything started.  How she was going about her life before being bit and embarking on her journey with Joel.  Her life was more or less miserable, being oppressed in that camp for most of her life.  Then she gets the opportunity to have some fun and experience things that normal kids do...sneaking around, drinking, having fun, going to the arcade and feeling the emotions of caring for someone and/or love.  Maybe because I got to "play" Ellie, but I tried my best to put myself in her shoes...as a 14 year old kid who never got to experience the things we all probably took for granted in the real world.  Then, everything came crashing down as she and the person she cared for were ticketed to become infected or die.  She was alone, once again.  Then mix that with the scenes of Joel dying in front of her, and the argument Joel and Ellie had in the prior episode "You don't know loss...".  Joel is all she has.  We got to see Joel's perspective last week when he admitted he's getting old and can't protect her, and not being able to protect anyone and everyone he's ever cared about.  In this ep, we see it from Ellie.  She physically and emotionally cannot lose him as she has no-one.  The two people she's probably ever cared about are dead, and dying in front of her.
    I'll admit, it was a slower episode.  No big battles, not many infected to worry about, not a ton of drama...but I loved it.  Great story telling IMO.
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Maybe, just maybe they’re supplying some info for those of us who’ve never played the game(?).  I wish I would have played but I’m the kind that screams real loud when I start hitting the buttons wrong!  I’m one of those at the movies screaming at the screen as well.  Haven’t been to the movies since the Blair witch project…..wonder why? 
  • Options
    As someone pointed out. There's a reason All or None was chosen. She's in a hopeless situation. And the All or None is the choices she has to make.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    I need cliff notes! 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    igotid88 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    igotid88 said:
    This episode didnt advance the story line at all. Is that the "certain way"? Thats what ruins shows for me, thats one reason TWD got so bad, they would drag what could be 2-3 episodes into a whole season by adding episodes that didnt advance the story. That, and other things made it suck in the end. 
    You could have skipped this episode and not missed anything and wouldnt have even known you missed one. It introduced and developed a character that dies in the end, and presumably will never see again or have an impact on the show. If you still liked it then thats great. There's also nothing wrong with wanting the story to develop each week. It did not this week.
    I didn't think it was terrible, but easily my second least favorite episode. Least favorite being the one with Bill for the exact same reasons. 
    If they really wanted this backstory, they could have spread it out over 3 or 4 episodes, in 10 minutes flashbacks each week. I would have preferred that.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    igotid88 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    igotid88 said:
    This episode didnt advance the story line at all. Is that the "certain way"? Thats what ruins shows for me, thats one reason TWD got so bad, they would drag what could be 2-3 episodes into a whole season by adding episodes that didnt advance the story. That, and other things made it suck in the end. 
    You could have skipped this episode and not missed anything and wouldnt have even known you missed one. It introduced and developed a character that dies in the end, and presumably will never see again or have an impact on the show. If you still liked it then thats great. There's also nothing wrong with wanting the story to develop each week. It did not this week.
    I didn't think it was terrible, but easily my second least favorite episode. Least favorite being the one with Bill for the exact same reasons. 
    If they really wanted this backstory, they could have spread it out over 3 or 4 episodes, in 10 minutes flashbacks each week. I would have preferred that.
    It didn't really advance the story but it gave background....I'm in the group that thought it was a little long but still thought it was good TV.

As I mentioned...it was a flashback and I completely missed it. I was probably fucking around on TikTok or something and not paying enough attention.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    igotid88 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Yes. If it's a good story I don't mind if it doesn't "advance" it. It's not a movie. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    igotid88 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Please see my comment above.
    We had no past history on anything Ellie from the first episode to episode 6.  The show made a point to focus in on what and where Ellie came from as she is one of two main characters in the story.  I get what you're saying about throwing a piece of it here and there, but the story was important.  Like I said before, the relationship that has built with Joel and Ellie comes from past experiences and a lot of that has to do with loss.  Episode 6, where they had their argument about separating...  we know what Joel's story was.  Ellie's has nothing.  The one thing, the one person she ever cared about is gone.  Now, her developing relationship with Joel has become a powerful thing to her, and in her mind when Joel tells her Tommy will be taking her from now on, crushed her.  I feel it's also why it was so important to show her taking care of him during ep7.  She's going to do whatever it takes to save him, or at least try.  Ellie's entire life has been about isolation, no family, no real friends.  By giving her that important backstory shows us that glimmer of life that could be had, and how it was taken away so abruptly.  That loss meant a lot to her and the emotion we are seeing with her and Joel.  In my opinion, episode 7 was absolutely necessary in the story...and especially knowing what is going to happen in the next two episodes...
  • Options
    Not as action packed as I expected but a good episode. 

I have to say that Ellie being able to get the knife and chop the guy while he was on top of her was a bit unbelievable. Couldn't they have had her pull a knife off her ankle or something to stab him? We are to believe that he is on top of her yet let's her crawl the 2 feet to get his knife and kill him with it? Things like that drive me nuts.

• Options
    Only got about halfway through so far. But is this the season finale? Doesn't seem like its anywhere close to a stopping point.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Only got about halfway through so far. But is this the season finale? Doesn't seem like its anywhere close to a stopping point.
    Next week's is the last of the season.
  • Options
    Not as action packed as I expected but a good episode. 

I have to say that Ellie being able to get the knife and chop the guy while he was on top of her was a bit unbelievable. Couldn't they have had her pull a knife off her ankle or something to stab him? We are to believe that he is on top of her yet let's her crawl the 2 feet to get his knife and kill him with it? Things like that drive me nuts.

Action was about on par with what I expected. I enjoyed this episode. Knowing nothing about the game, I am really curious how they are ending the season next week.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Thought that last episode was awesome - it was good to get some of her backstory. That dude was a creeper....yikes.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    I have quite liked the backstory / side story episodes. Surely next weeks concluding episode will be full of clickers and the like. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    yep....and then a year before S2

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    Tonight’s final episode was quite different to what I was expecting but in a good way. I got this feeling that it would just be a big season finale full of infected, yet we got something quite different (I’ve never played the game) which was good! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Tonight’s final episode was quite different to what I was expecting but in a good way. I got this feeling that it would just be a big season finale full of infected, yet we got something quite different (I’ve never played the game) which was good! 
    same...I noticed earlier in the day that it was only going to be 45 minutes which seemed strange. 

• Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Man that opening was tough last night.