13»

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited October 2022
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Hell, there is a whole entertainment industry built upon the real life murders of people in ‘Murica and we seem to celebrate the celebrity of it. Dahmer anyone? Yea, pretty ordinary.

No shit!  Imagine being a family members of one of Dahmer's victims and seeing his horrific acts being glorified on television and having hoards of Americans eat that shit up.  It's disgusting.  This country loves violence.  It thrives on violence.  It has become defined by violence. 
    cmon. it was founded on violence. not only establishing rhe nation but as colonies too..

How many countries got their independence and kept it without any violence?  Many countries have a far more violent history than USA does.
    India!  I win again!!!
    Wrong! I said "how many?" India is not a number. You have to donate a pair of socks.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Ahhh, you're all missing the obvious.  Atlantis!
    CategoryAtlantis - Wikimedia Commons

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    brianlux said:

You must not have seen Aquaman
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Hell, there is a whole entertainment industry built upon the real life murders of people in ‘Murica and we seem to celebrate the celebrity of it. Dahmer anyone? Yea, pretty ordinary.

No shit!  Imagine being a family members of one of Dahmer's victims and seeing his horrific acts being glorified on television and having hoards of Americans eat that shit up.  It's disgusting.  This country loves violence.  It thrives on violence.  It has become defined by violence. 
    cmon. it was founded on violence. not only establishing rhe nation but as colonies too..

How many countries got their independence and kept it without any violence?  Many countries have a far more violent history than USA does.
    India!  I win again!!!
    Wrong! I said "how many?" India is not a number. You have to donate a pair of socks.
    Dammit...
    Monday Memes 514 The World Is Ending david peralta paul goldschmidt  arizona diamondbacks - AZ Snake Pit
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188
    Murder is a very “ordinary” crime in ‘Murica. If not, why the degrees? If not, why the inability to reasonably restrict firearms? Oh, silly me, 2A. Why sentencing disparities and fancy definitions, like “crime of passion,” “stood their ground,” or “self defence?” Why “accidental” or “with a car, drunk,” is different than “shot them while they slept?” Because murder in ‘Murica is ordinary. Pro-life my ass.
    Less than 1% = ordinary? That is a rather extraordinary claim.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    Murder is a very “ordinary” crime in ‘Murica. If not, why the degrees? If not, why the inability to reasonably restrict firearms? Oh, silly me, 2A. Why sentencing disparities and fancy definitions, like “crime of passion,” “stood their ground,” or “self defence?” Why “accidental” or “with a car, drunk,” is different than “shot them while they slept?” Because murder in ‘Murica is ordinary. Pro-life my ass.
    You don't see the difference between self defense, drunk driving and killing someone in their sleep? Those are some very big differences.
    Some of the different degrees you asked about are to reflect some of those differences. Has nothing to do with how common it is. Killing someone out of neglect is different than planning to intentionally murder someone while they sleep. So there are different degrees of murder.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Have not.  Good flick?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Have not.  Good flick?
    Not great…can be fun. But there is plenty of war in Atlantis! 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Have not.  Good flick?
    Not great…can be fun. But there is plenty of war in Atlantis! 

Oh no!  A shattered myth, lol!

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    He’s asking about the graph you posted. I had the same crime. He is capital punishment reserves for ordinary crimes i America? What ordinary crime gets the death sentence here?
    Murder?

Or what is so hard to understand? You should have a way better understanding of your system than I do.
    Murder is not "an ordinary crime".  That is what doesn't make sense.  What out of touch sociopath created this graph?
    If you read the graph it shouldn’t be hard at all to understand why it is labeled like it is. Not at all. As in zero problems to get it. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Hastings was charged with special-circumstance murder and the district attorney's office sought the death penalty but the jury deadlocked. A second jury convicted him and he was sentenced in 1988 to life in prison without parole.

Hastings has been freed because DNA proved he is innocent. Lucky for him the jury didn’t spring for the DP. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mace1229 said:
    You don't see the difference between self defense, drunk driving and killing someone in their sleep? Those are some very big differences.
    Some of the different degrees you asked about are to reflect some of those differences. Has nothing to do with how common it is. Killing someone out of neglect is different than planning to intentionally murder someone while they sleep. So there are different degrees of murder.
    I'd be curious to know what % of inmates in a womens' prisons are there becasue they killed their abusers.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin