Options

Jury recommends life in prison without parole for Parkland school shooter

JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,975
Very disappointing in the ruling.  POS shouldn't be breathing. 
"I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    I prefer people like this suffer for the rest of their lives, rather than getting the easy way out. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    He won't last long in prison.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    I prefer people like this suffer for the rest of their lives, rather than getting the easy way out. 
    Agreed
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    i think everyone is pissed at the sentence. even those of us that oppose the death penalty.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Yeah, that's a tough one.  I oppose the death sentence but, damn...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,879
    brianlux said:
    some well and truly earn that fate.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Let all the shooters rot in jail! I don’t believe putting them to death would be a deterrent at all! All this begins at home parenting is so vital..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,088
    edited October 2022
    Being of a philosophical stance that the state should A-OK murdering people. Yikes.

The EU banning the death penalty for member states, is one thing that makes me go ”wow, politics can be something on a higher level, other than just ugly populist sucking up for easy votes and honing in on peoples reptile brains”. 

Fuck that guy though. And it is a shame tax-payers money will have to be payed for the rest of his existance. He should pay off of the cost of his prison time himself. And never feel like a day has been worth living again. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    I’d prefer he no longer be breathing. It’s things like this that still have me ok with the death penalty in obvious cases.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    brianlux said:
    I have to say that your comment confuses me. If you oppose a death sentence then you kind of got what you believe in.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I have to say that your comment confuses me. If you oppose a death sentence then you kind of got what you believe in.
    maybe he thinks the guy doesn't deserve to live even though he opposes the DP. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:

I did but I didn't.  My preference would be for people who murder children to be whisked off by aliens, or commit suicide or die of a heart attach or something.  I hate the idea of putting people to death and I hate the idea of murderers of children being allowed to live at the expense of tax payers.  It's a no-win situation as far as I'm concerned. 
    brianlux said:

^^^This.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I did but I didn't.  My preference would be for people who murder children to be whisked off by aliens, or commit suicide or die of a heart attach or something.  I hate the idea of putting people to death and I hate the idea of murderers of children being allowed to live at the expense of tax payers.  It's a no-win situation as far as I'm concerned. 
    brianlux said:

^^^This.

So you want them dead, you just don’t want them killed. Or will the aliens put the murderers in an alien-prison that our tax dollars won’t have to pay for? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

^^^This.

So you want them dead, you just don’t want them killed. Or will the aliens put the murderers in an alien-prison that our tax dollars won’t have to pay for? 
    Is it really that hard to understand what Brian was saying? He’s against the death penalty but a case like this gives him pause…. 

It has nothing to do with taxes (I don’t think).
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

^^^This.

Is it really that hard to understand what Brian was saying? He’s against the death penalty but a case like this gives him pause…. 

He mentioned taxes. “I hate the idea of murderers of children being allowed to live at the expense of tax payers” is the quote. 

But forget the taxes. You ask if it’s hard to understand what he’s saying. No it’s not. On one hand, he wants to take the moral high ground and be against the death penalty, but on the other hand, he wants them to die of a heart attack or suicide. So he wants them dead either way. So he’s anti-death penalty from a legality standpoint for murderers, but he’s still pro-death for them. If he wants them dead (as I do), lethal injections have a higher success rate than wishing for heart attacks. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

^^^This.

He mentioned taxes. “I hate the idea of murderers of children being allowed to live at the expense of tax payers” is the quote. 

But forget the taxes. You ask if it’s hard to understand what he’s saying. No it’s not. On one hand, he wants to take the moral high ground and be against the death penalty, but on the other hand, he wants them to die of a heart attack or suicide. So he wants them dead either way. So he’s anti-death penalty from a legality standpoint for murderers, but he’s still pro-death for them. If he wants them dead (as I do), lethal injections have a higher success rate than wishing for heart attacks. 

humans are contradictory beings.

its like believing in the Constitution and bill of rights. Esp the 1st. At times its real hard to hear other peoples shit.

do find it interesting tjough, theres a moratorium federaly I think, but its a state choice.....
    Post edited by Kat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

^^^This.

Ok so you do support the death penalty...just one that is guided by medical ailments rather than the state. To me there is no difference although I do want the DP only given to those that admit guilt or are proven to be guilty without question.

It will be hard to find a 100% agreement on a jury though. It sounds like it used to be majority rule and now it has to be unanimous?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

^^^This.

Thank you, Cincy. 
    Yeah, I think what I said is simple enough to understand.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

^^^This.

Ok so you do support the death penalty...just one that is guided by medical ailments rather than the state. To me there is no difference although I do want the DP only given to those that admit guilt or are proven to be guilty without question.

It will be hard to find a 100% agreement on a jury though. It sounds like it used to be majority rule and now it has to be unanimous?

Why did you misquote me? 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

^^^This.

Why did you misquote me? 

It’s weird, it like some people don’t think you should ever question your own beliefs or even talk openly about things that make sticking to your beliefs hard.  

Brian it was very simple to understand. You are against the death penalty AND sickened about what that person did and wonder if jail is enough. And you could have felt that way for a singular moment and you posted. It’s really not that hard, people around here seem to just want to pick fights all the time anymore.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

^^^This.

Why did you misquote me? 

It’s weird, it like some people don’t think you should ever question your own beliefs or even talk openly about things that make sticking to your beliefs hard.  

Brian it was very simple to understand. You are against the death penalty AND sickened about what that person did and wonder if jail is enough. And you could have felt that way for a singular moment and you posted. It’s really not that hard, people around here seem to just want to pick fights all the time anymore.

Thanks you for getting it, Cincy!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

^^^This.

come on. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    I’d prefer he no longer be breathing. It’s things like this that still have me ok with the death penalty in obvious cases.
    I'm not quite sure how "obvious" would be defined here. I feel there are two things you may mean:
    1. Obviously he did it. There's no gray here. This concerns me because I've seen it argued that maybe we can have the death penalty for someone who's crime is on camera...but this is the admission of doubt for any that's "not obvious." If I was a talented defense attorney with no conscious I'd be salivating to use that to get any "non-obvious" person off.
    2. Obviously he's a bad man. A lot of convicted murders were convicted of killing their abusers (particularly in women's prisons). They are not necessarily bad. Mowing down a bunch of kids? Yeah, they are. I see this argument a bit more. That said...

I kind think it's hard to really say "I don't generally like the death penalty but for some people, fuck it; fry them." I kinda think we need to go all they way on not having the death penalty. I have some history of supporting the death penalty because, unlike most of my fellow-liberals, I actually think it's an appropriate action for some people. That said, you can't un-kill someone and the flaws in the justice system that enable a surprising number of innocent people (at least 4% in prison are innocent of the crime of which they've been convicted )to be found guilty make it too possible to execute an innocent person.

In short, I do have that sense of retribution that some do, but I think in the bigger picture, it's not worth it.

(Then there's that it's not a deterrant and it's actually more expensive to kill someone than imprison them for decades)

I'd also add that I know it's intentionally vague, but how could killing someone not be considered "cruel and unusual punishment?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    I'm not quite sure how "obvious" would be defined here. I feel there are two things you may mean:
    1. Obviously he did it. There's no gray here. This concerns me because I've seen it argued that maybe we can have the death penalty for someone who's crime is on camera...but this is the admission of doubt for any that's "not obvious." If I was a talented defense attorney with no conscious I'd be salivating to use that to get any "non-obvious" person off.
    2. Obviously he's a bad man. A lot of convicted murders were convicted of killing their abusers (particularly in women's prisons). They are not necessarily bad. Mowing down a bunch of kids? Yeah, they are. I see this argument a bit more. That said...

I kind think it's hard to really say "I don't generally like the death penalty but for some people, fuck it; fry them." I kinda think we need to go all they way on not having the death penalty. I have some history of supporting the death penalty because, unlike most of my fellow-liberals, I actually think it's an appropriate action for some people. That said, you can't un-kill someone and the flaws in the justice system that enable a surprising number of innocent people (at least 4% in prison are innocent of the crime of which they've been convicted )to be found guilty make it too possible to execute an innocent person.

In short, I do have that sense of retribution that some do, but I think in the bigger picture, it's not worth it.

(Then there's that it's not a deterrant and it's actually more expensive to kill someone than imprison them for decades)

I'd also add that I know it's intentionally vague, but how could killing someone not be considered "cruel and unusual punishment?

I think if I were against the death penalty but favored it being used in certain cases, I would be quiet about those feelings, but also would not feel or express sorrow when it was used.  The feeling would be sometime akin to being solemn.

And what I just said lack enough commitment and exactitude such that no one needs to quote me and say I said something I did not say.

• Options

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    capital murder is an ordinary crime?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    capital murder is an ordinary crime?
    What are you trying to say
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    He’s asking about the graph you posted. I had the same crime. He is capital punishment reserves for ordinary crimes i America? What ordinary crime gets the death sentence here?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    He’s asking about the graph you posted. I had the same crime. He is capital punishment reserves for ordinary crimes i America? What ordinary crime gets the death sentence here?
    Murder?

Or what is so hard to understand? You should have a way better understanding of your system than I do.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Murder?

Or what is so hard to understand? You should have a way better understanding of your system than I do.
    Murder is not "an ordinary crime".  That is what doesn't make sense.  What out of touch sociopath created this graph?