Brad Klausen's Pearl Jam Journey

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,206

Jason and Paul welcome iconic poster creator and former in-house Pearl Jam graphic designer, Brad Klausen, to the show! The guys discuss Brad's beginnings in southern California, a trip to find himself in Italy, and winding up in Pearl Jam's warehouse talking to Eddie about his dog. And there's so much more! All that and the Lyric and Live Cut of the Week - Satan's Bed.

Comments

• That was awesome, thanks for sharing.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • That was awesome, thanks for sharing.  
    +1
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,206
     :) 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    Awesome interview, thanks!
    Bump!
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,408
    An interesting interview so far, I'll pick it back up when the work commute resumes after Canadian Thanksgiving. Paused after talking about the DC 06 poster.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,696
    I need to finish it this weekend. Really enjoyable, but made the mistake of trying to listen to it too close to bed time after a long day at work. I think I made it about 30 minutes in before I crashed. 
  • maverickmaverick Posts: 1,199
    This was great listen. Thanks to all involved with making it happen and sharing it more broadly for people who aren’t as familiar with the podcast. 

Brad is an extremely talented artist, but he is an even better good and decent person.  I’ve got several of his posters framed and I’ll enjoy them for many years to come. 
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,807
    What a great listen! Driving home from Florida today, so much appreciated. Brad Klausen, you rock! Thanks for the art!
  • JoeyP21JoeyP21 Allentown, PA Posts: 184
    This was a great listen! Thanks for sharing! 🙌🏻
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Posts: 3,410
    Downloaded and will need to listen to soon.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

Would LOVE to see a new Brad Klausen book. 
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,045
    demetrios said:
    Would LOVE to see a new Brad Klausen book. 
    Brad is absolute PJ royalty in my eyes. 
    Bump!

I am going to Designer Con ‘22 in Anaheim, CA on Nov. 18th - 20th (will post more on that later) but tonight I was putting together a portfolio of posters to take with me, and was looking through flat file drawers for miscellaneous posters I might have…and in the very bottom drawer of a set of flat files was a big paper envelope I forgot I made and on it I wrote “over sized”…. my lower flat file drawers are often the least opened, the bottom two drawers by my feet are reserved for long storage or random things. So I couldn’t remember what was in this big envelope….

as you can see, it was a random assortment of uncut posters, including some Pearl Jam posters…1 Toronto 09, 1 Spain / Portugal 06, 1 Copenhagen 06, 2 Ottawa 05, a few of each of the 04 neocon set, and 3 Honolulus.

I won’t be taking these to Designer Con, but figured I’d share this discovery since I know there will be some out there who might want any of these.

I get asked about the Honolulu poster probably more the any other poster aside from the DC Reaper, I know those 3 uncut posters will be the most desirable….but I don’t know how to go about selling them fairly or for how much….maybe an ebay auction would make most sense? I am all ears for any suggestions

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,099
    edited October 2022
    I would be happy to participate on the bay if that is the way you go @bradklausen, but I would think you may be able to do a waffle and, say, put a portion of the money raised toward your favorite charity.
    Sell tickets at $50 a pop or something like that and I bet you could sell hundreds of tickets.
    I'd buy at $100 a pop, especially if I know you get some and a charity gets some.  
    If you personalize on the signature that could make the crazy folks even crazier

The Honolulu would look sweet in my office.  One if the ones of yours I don't have but really would like

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,497
    edited October 2022
    Whatever you do brad make it not on a specific  social  so everyone  can get a chance  and make it world wide. I would say do it on here where the fans could have best chance instead of the flippers if poss.
    I dont use socials  and i know  others here don't its bad for mental health. 
    Great of you to do something  cool for us.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • bradklausenbradklausen Posts: 418
    edited October 2022
    what about trimming the honolulu prints? I could have them cut... do people want them more as an uncut sheet or as the poster? I will be going to DL in Nov and could ask them to trim them 
  • what about trimming the honolulu prints? I could have them cut... do people want them more as an uncut sheet or as the poster? I will be going to DL in Nov and could ask them to trim them 
    I would keep them untrimmed and run a charity auction for them. Raise some cash for a good cause.
  • what about trimming the honolulu prints? I could have them cut... do people want them more as an uncut sheet or as the poster? I will be going to DL in Nov and could ask them to trim them 
    I would keep them untrimmed and run a charity auction for them. Raise some cash for a good cause.
    others have mentioned the idea of giving the money to a charity... and while I'd love to be able to do that, being a freelance artist is feast or famine, and after 2 years of there being no concerts and therefore no poster jobs, I need to provide for myself and my small family first and foremost.

My job is one in which months go by with no money coming in... and constant uncertainty of if a poster will sell well or not and when I will have another job. I know there are a few poster artists out there with big followings and they do very well selling whatever they make for any bands or any art they make... that's not the case for all of us. So as much as I wish I was in a position to donate to charities, I need to make sure I can stay afloat year to year first...I love working for myself, but being freelance is constant treading water just to keep my head above the surface. So the money will go to a good cause... to helping me put food on the table and continue to plug along as a freelance artist. 

others have mentioned the idea of giving the money to a charity... and while I'd love to be able to do that, being a freelance artist is feast or famine, and after 2 years of there being no concerts and therefore no poster jobs, I need to provide for myself and my small family first and foremost.

My job is one in which months go by with no money coming in... and constant uncertainty of if a poster will sell well or not and when I will have another job. I know there are a few poster artists out there with big followings and they do very well selling whatever they make for any bands or any art they make... that's not the case for all of us. So as much as I wish I was in a position to donate to charities, I need to make sure I can stay afloat year to year first...I love working for myself, but being freelance is constant treading water just to keep my head above the surface. So the money will go to a good cause... to helping me put food on the table and continue to plug along as a freelance artist. 

Oh I hear ya! Freelancer for almost 20 years. Took a  corporate job working for the man in a production studio 4 years ago. Young me thinks I sold out, current me has a steady check, health care, and a 401k.  It’s a tough fight and I salute those that continue the fight!
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    what about trimming the honolulu prints? I could have them cut... do people want them more as an uncut sheet or as the poster? I will be going to DL in Nov and could ask them to trim them 

Absolutely don’t need to justify but absolutely you’re entitled to every last penny. Don’t let these go for cheap…offer up just one of each at a time for top dollar but keep in mind as someone else recently discovered here PayPal will be submitting a 1099 form for the larger amounts - factor that in as well. Truth be told there are plenty of heavy hitters out there on your mailing list who will without hesitation reach out should you send a mass email. When Ward put a signed ‘96 Prague on eBay with a letter of authenticity he got $5,000 (a solid price IMO) he still took a 14% hit (and then of course the taxes) just for perspective.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Agree, if you could use the money to sustain your business than 100% do it for yourself - it is your art and your work.  

I only tossed the charity component in because many would support tickets more if they knew that this was a piece...and selling lots of tickets at $50 or $100 each could be fun.

I do think personalizing a signature could greatly increase what some might pay for it.

On the cut, or not, I'd prefer cut. 
    That stated, this is beautiful work and I am certain what 100 Pacer is saying about the mailing list is true.  Getting good buyers to be happy paying a large amount should be pretty quick for you. 

• And, yes, to taxes.  I sold something for over $5k recently and had to provide tax info.
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,637
    Whoa, love Brad's work since day 1. will have to listen on the way to work tomorrow. thanks for sharing! 
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}

Uncut sheet for sure. 
  • I would say eBay probably your best option. Knowing that would eliminate me though cuz someone will bid an absurd amount