Please Let Us Bundle a Poster & Shirt with 10C Tickets

Nobody wants to spend 3-4-5-6 hours in a merch line, especially in a hot parking lot or in lieu of having a nice dinner before the show. Most of us are using precious vacation days to travel to shows and I personally would rather go to a local record store, guitar shop, or local landmark rather than wait in a merch line.

Yes, I know that I am making a choice to wait in the line and I don't have to do so. Yes, I have enough money I could buy it all on Ebay if I wanted to.

Why not offer a bundle with a poster, t-shirt and sticker with our 10C tickets? 10C gets the money upfront for the items, you know how many you need before you order, the scalper price goes way down on Ebay which discourages the flippers, and the merch lines go way down making everyone happier.

The only losers in this scenario are those who are funding their trips via selling on Ebay. 

I don't want to speak for everyone but I think most of us would even be willing to throw in an extra $20 handling fee to pay for fulfillment at the warehouse if that's what it took.

I love the band, I love going to shows, and I love wearing the shirts and enjoying the artwork. The multi-hour lines seem punitive and unnecessary. Please consider this to improve the fan experience.

Comments

• Wrong. 10 club and Pearl Jam would be “losers” as well. The people lining up to buy posters are also buying thousands of dollars of secondary merchandise. I get it, it sucks but the lines are wonderful from a business stand point. The desired merch sells out and all kinds of other stuff is sold as well. Things are not gonna change. It’s a cash cow and the herd is literally lining up for it.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Wrong. 10 club and Pearl Jam would be “losers” as well. The people lining up to buy posters are also buying thousands of dollars of secondary merchandise. I get it, it sucks but the lines are wonderful from a business stand point. The desired merch sells out and all kinds of other stuff is sold as well. Things are not gonna change. It’s a cash cow and the herd is literally lining up for it.
    id still buy the secondary stuff......but not wait in line. The line is for posters, shirts, hats
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Duster72 said:
    Nobody wants to spend 3-4-5-6 hours in a merch line, especially in a hot parking lot or in lieu of having a nice dinner before the show. Most of us are using precious vacation days to travel to shows and I personally would rather go to a local record store, guitar shop, or local landmark rather than wait in a merch line.

Yes, I know that I am making a choice to wait in the line and I don't have to do so. Yes, I have enough money I could buy it all on Ebay if I wanted to.

Why not offer a bundle with a poster, t-shirt and sticker with our 10C tickets? 10C gets the money upfront for the items, you know how many you need before you order, the scalper price goes way down on Ebay which discourages the flippers, and the merch lines go way down making everyone happier.

The only losers in this scenario are those who are funding their trips via selling on Ebay. 

I don't want to speak for everyone but I think most of us would even be willing to throw in an extra $20 handling fee to pay for fulfillment at the warehouse if that's what it took.

I love the band, I love going to shows, and I love wearing the shirts and enjoying the artwork. The multi-hour lines seem punitive and unnecessary. Please consider this to improve the fan experience.
    Totally agree.  You can still get the secondary stuff but maybe you wouldn’t have to spend 6 hours in line to get it.  This was the first tour, 5 shows for me, that I did not wait in line for merch.  I spent it with friends at bars and dinner.  I am looking for stickers and pins from the shows I went to and will spend more than if I had waited in line but for me the trade off was well worth it.
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    pearljim said:
    Duster72 said:

Totally agree.  You can still get the secondary stuff but maybe you wouldn’t have to spend 6 hours in line to get it.  This was the first tour, 5 shows for me, that I did not wait in line for merch.  I spent it with friends at bars and dinner.  I am looking for stickers and pins from the shows I went to and will spend more than if I had waited in line but for me the trade off was well worth it.
    Well worth it. But I hope the lines continue so there are less of you in the bars. ;)
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    I agree in spirit with this post, but you’re effectively asking them… can you guys do more work to make less money?

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• How many of those people in line, that didn’t get the poster or city specific items they wanted walked away without buying anything at all? Zero. Now ask yourself, if those items weren’t available at the shows because of a presale how much of that other merchandise would be sold?  
    on2legs said:
    I agree in spirit with this post, but you’re effectively asking them… can you guys do more work to make less money?

prob counting on DRUNK/HIGH purchases at the show, like late night amazon when you wake up & say, WTF...I ordered what?

I think they should at least have a system that runs better
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    I loved when they did this in the past!
    i cant remember which tour it was, but I fully support this idea B)
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Dave Matthews Band sends an email the day of to everyone in the fan club who has tickets for that show to buy a poster, event shirt, or poster + shirt bundle that will be shipped a week later. They still have early outdoor merch and it’s still packed with people who want more than what’s offered online. It’s a great model, and one I wish PJ would consider. 
  • hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,086
    Chrrie said:
    Dave Matthews Band sends an email the day of to everyone in the fan club who has tickets for that show to buy a poster, event shirt, or poster + shirt bundle that will be shipped a week later. They still have early outdoor merch and it’s still packed with people who want more than what’s offered online. It’s a great model, and one I wish PJ would consider. 
    The poster drops at a random time, and is very limited to purchase online. I have had Warehouse tickets and not received the email, but figured out the drop time and got a poster. 

I think part of the issue with the model as proposed by the OP is that Live Nation probably takes a cut of merch sales at the venue, and if they went to a pre-sale model, Live Nation would find another way to tax the performers to make up for that lost revenue.
  • hihobibo said:
    Chrrie said:
    Dave Matthews Band sends an email the day of to everyone in the fan club who has tickets for that show to buy a poster, event shirt, or poster + shirt bundle that will be shipped a week later. They still have early outdoor merch and it’s still packed with people who want more than what’s offered online. It’s a great model, and one I wish PJ would consider. 
    The poster drops at a random time, and is very limited to purchase online. I have had Warehouse tickets and not received the email, but figured out the drop time and got a poster. 

I think part of the issue with the model as proposed by the OP is that Live Nation probably takes a cut of merch sales at the venue, and if they went to a pre-sale model, Live Nation would find another way to tax the performers to make up for that lost revenue.

I only had tickets to Hollywood Bowl this year but it seemed great. Got the email around 1 local time and everything was still in stock when I saw it about 30 mins later. 

I will say the PJ outdoor merch situation seems strange to me now after the last few shows of the US leg. I see the value of wanting to bring your stuff back to the hotel or car or whatever, but if you go in at doors you basically have your pick of anything you want at any of the stands inside the venue. I lined up 45 mins before doors for MSG and was third in line at the first stand and was able to get the license plate. I was GA for a couple other shows and after getting my spot in the pit walked up to the empty merch stand before everyone else was let in. I don’t see myself waiting in the early line ever again. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,258
    CROJAM95 said:
    Wrong. 10 club and Pearl Jam would be “losers” as well. The people lining up to buy posters are also buying thousands of dollars of secondary merchandise. I get it, it sucks but the lines are wonderful from a business stand point. The desired merch sells out and all kinds of other stuff is sold as well. Things are not gonna change. It’s a cash cow and the herd is literally lining up for it.
    id still buy the secondary stuff......but not wait in line. The line is for posters, shirts, hats
    You just proved his point. You’d still buy other stuff, but not wait in line for it. So if there’s a line for the other merch, you’d pass. If there is no line, means no one is buying it. But most people have hours in line ending buying the other stuff too.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    I’ve been to a lot of DMB shows and while there is a mob at the merch table it isn’t really comparable to the merch scene at a Pearl Jam show.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

edited September 2022
    mace1229 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    You just proved his point. You’d still buy other stuff, but not wait in line for it. So if there’s a line for the other merch, you’d pass. If there is no line, means no one is buying it. But most people have hours in line ending buying the other stuff too.
    mace1229 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    I don’t wait regardless, but id order a shirt/ poster blindly & take a chance like 2009

i only get posters at shows if what happens at msg is available… GA/Floor , merch stand only for GA/Floor people… had plenty

camden… got AP on drive home

others On 10c drops or trades

people got offended when I said lines like outside msg  are for dummies….your WAY back, you have a smart phone & it’s not the 1st show of the tour… use your head. At some point of that line, you ain’t getting shit… the other stuff will be there when show is over or right before it starts

i missed out on the plate/ blue hat… it’s ok, I’ll live…. If I had them & that equates to 4 plus hours on line?? Do I own the Merch or does it own me?

after a few weeks some other shit comes down the pike 
    Post edited by CROJAM95 on
  • I would back this. Do a city package with 10club ticket purchase. I waited 3.5 hours and got everything but the city shirt. They sold out went again when doors opened and again all sold out, we split up and hit multiple and the city shirt all gone. I would wait in a smaller line for regular tour shirts. Its the ridiculous long line and the frustration that you didn't get it.  The other concert didn't even have the city shirts up, as they had sold out as well. 

• shepshep Posts: 5,759
    How many of those people in line, that didn’t get the poster or city specific items they wanted walked away without buying anything at all? Zero. Now ask yourself, if those items weren’t available at the shows because of a presale how much of that other merchandise would be sold?  
    I walked away with exactly 0 things.

So the number is at least 1.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • the comment above, asking them to do more work for less money is probably most accurate.

seeing as how TM does their ticketing.  outside of submitting a list of the initial lottery to TM, they have no idea of whom has what.   so add some staff to now monitor whom in 10C has tix, then make a list to send and verify they are now eligible to buy pre-show merch.  what if pre-show tix gal/girl buys merch then sells tix?  does new buyer get dibs?

in fomo/short-sightedness it makes sense to do the pre-show merch buy.   there's way too many other factors involved that make this not possible with the current setup.  maybe other bands do it, but without knowing exactly how they do it  comparing them is pointless without knowing the inner workings of the org/cmpy.   the merch craze has been ridiculous the last 6 years, just wait it out.   people overbuy the shit, people neeeeeeed it within a day of missing it.   take a breath for a month or three and you can get what you want for the same price as waiting in line.   all of it is so overproduced at this point you won't be missing anything by waiting.

now if they limited it to ticket buyers only inside the venue, like the EV and the Earthlings tour, that'd be cooler IMO,
  • Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 155
    edited September 2022
    How many of those people in line, that didn’t get the poster or city specific items they wanted walked away without buying anything at all? Zero. Now ask yourself, if those items weren’t available at the shows because of a presale how much of that other merchandise would be sold?  
    Well you are wrong. I've been that person on multiple occasions at PJ shows. Waited in line for hours, only to be told either the city specific posters, stickers, pins, tee shirts were sold out or not in my size.

I'll spend my money on city specific stuff but not the generic merch that I can usually buy at a discounted rate on pj.com a few months later - which I normally don't buy because it's garbage lol.
    Post edited by Habit4me on
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 810
    CROJAM95 said:
    Meh, I waited in line 4 hours and only bought a sticker 🤣. Ok, I was mostly there keeping my buddy company....merch ain't my thing.  The dude was kinda surprised "what can I getcha man?", "Uh...a sticker I guess" 😃.
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    The one thing I’ve learned from all of the discussions of the merch situation is that nobody knows how that part of the business model works, or why they would or wouldn’t change any aspects of it. The type of arrangement OP suggests would be clearly better from my perspective, and I could make up a story about how it would be better for the band, but I’d just be talking out of my ass. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • It's been requested for years. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it will ever happen. I don't bother with merchandise lines anymore. If they have stuff after the show or if it's put up online, then I get something. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,206
    The problem TSURT had was short staff. Nobody wants to work these days. I do hope 10club management can fix that for next tour. Offer up show poster / shirt / sticker / button combos for those who have tickets to the show. 
  • It was nice during the ‘09 Spectrum run when they let you preorder/ship posters.

i know people generally line up for the show specific merch but seeing long lines kind of turns off some from buying the “regular” tour merch.  Lines at MSG inside venue might’ve been longest lines I’ve seen for any band anywhere.  My friend and I walked around concourse debating lining up to grab shirt/hoody.  Ultimately didn’t feel like it was worth the wait (in addition to the sticker price) and didn’t bother buying any
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22, MSG I,II '24, Philly I,II '24
  • jefftjefft Posts: 657
    demetrios said:
    The problem TSURT had was short staff. Nobody wants to work these days. I do hope 10club management can fix that for next tour. Offer up show poster / shirt / sticker / button combos for those who have tickets to the show. 
    They should fire tsurt.  Hire someone else who puts out quality stuff.
  • How many of those people in line, that didn’t get the poster or city specific items they wanted walked away without buying anything at all? Zero. Now ask yourself, if those items weren’t available at the shows because of a presale how much of that other merchandise would be sold?  
    You could always package it all together, shirt, poster, sticker, pins and whatever and raise the cost.

id rather pay $100 for the poster alone than wait in those lines 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,128
    edited September 2022
    Yes. But realistically it could be a nightmare for their website, and trying to do it for only ticket holders could be tough if it’s through the 10c site. Through Ticketmaster there could be another page to check which merch you wanted, but fuck TM
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,206
    You could always package it all together, shirt, poster, sticker, pins and whatever and raise the cost.

id rather pay $100 for the poster alone than wait in those lines 

Like so .. 

https://shop.pearljam.com/collections/featured/products/2022-pearl-jam-sacramento-show-bundle

I bought both cancelled Sacramento & Las Vegas bundles. The shipping boxes were fantastic. And I didn't have to pay any custom fees. 

This can be done for their next tour. They just need someone at 10Club / TSURT that can make this possible. 
  • I just want them to bring some fun creativity back. Everything besides the stickers and posters (questionable) are very boring & reserved lately. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    I just want them to bring some fun creativity back. Everything besides the stickers and posters (questionable) are very boring & reserved lately. 
    Cookie cutter is the word that pops in my head. It’s like they chose a model for the shirts years ago & just rolled with it

problem is… it’s not a good model

riot act era Tees were cool & prior
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    The current model works for them.  Fixed amount of inventory probably makes it easier to manage and sell with less financial risk. With pre-orders the business model changes from sales to order fulfillment.