****UNOFFICIAL OTTAWA COMMUNITY SETLIST THREAD - 09/03/2022****

15678911»

Comments

• AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    People saying that EV and MC are too old to play 30 song sets…do you have access to their respective medical histories?

I really don’t care how many songs they play and I’m not saying this to advocate for more. Just saying this speculation about their health and fitness is stupid. There are so many other reasons why they might be playing shorter sets on this tour.

Ed sounded better tonight than he did for all of 2018 right until the very end of the show.
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 810
    Was it just me, or did it sound like maybe they were pumping noise into the crowd at times?  I swear there was a non-natural cheering noise coming from the speakers at times

If no one else heard it then forget I said anything and my ears just suck
    I did not hear that.
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • AnimalCh1nAnimalCh1n Posts: 86
    edited September 2022
    It's sad people are complaining.  Having waited for years to get to see PJ again, I loved the show.  I love the idea of the 5 song sitdown mini set, then they blasted loads of hits sprinkled with gems.  I absolutely loved seeing them again, 

Bunch of Karens

Barrie, Ontario 08-05-1992 x Toronto, Ontario 08-18-1993
    Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 x Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000
    Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 x Toronto, Ontario 05-10-2006
    Toronto, Ontario 08-13-2008 (Ed Solo) x Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009
    Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 x Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Buffalo, NY 10-12-2013 x Ottawa, Ontario 05-08-2016
    Ottawa, Ontario 09-03-2022
    As someone who hadn’t seen the band since the pandemic before QC, a greatest hits show was exactly what I wanted.

immortality into Black was awesome. Seated Garden kicked ass.
  • MM70435MM70435 Posts: 281
    Only 3 songs from Gigaton and 6 from Ten.  I would be disappointed.  I'm not complaining by any means.  Just commenting.  I just happen to love Gigaton and want more than 3 songs.  This is the supposed Gigaton tour still isn't it?  And four from Yield.  Given 2 Fly and DTE of course.  I'm still not complaining.  Just commenting. At the Sea, hear, now you got 6 Gigaton songs, at the Ohana festival you got 5,6, then 5 from Gigaton and at San Diego you got a whopping 8 from Gigaton then LA1 gave you 6 Gigaton and since then it's like they said F*#k this great new album we made let's go back to more Ten that we have been playing for 30 years.  3-4 songs only for Gigaton since.  Yes they did play 5 from Gigaton the other night which was nice, but it is only the second time since LA1 that you got more than the customary 3-4 songs from Gigaton.  Gigaton is a great album to me and I just want to hear it and if I fly all the way up to Philly in a couple of weeks and they only play 3 songs from it, I will likely be disappointed.  I'm not complaining of course, just commenting on how I feel.  And I also don't get caught up in the song totals because they could play Eruption, slow lukin, fast lukin, and wasted reprise quicker than one crazy mary with a great extended Boom jam.  Sorry I rambled on so long.  I just love this band so much and these shorter sets are just fine with me.  They sound great on the boots and everyone says they sound great live as well.  Can't wait for Philly/Camden then Nashville!
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 -  Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • This was my first Pearl Jam show for me since 2016, longest stretch I've gone without seeing the band, since getting into them. Ottawa has become my adopted hometown for almost 10 years now, and the PJ gods blessed me again with GA tickets.

Great atmosphere. Mike was particularly on fire. Loved the Yield dosage of tracks, especially hearing Low Light for the first time. Even hearing Evenflow again was amazing. Immortality just hits an entirely different level every single time.

Ed's story that the first time they played Ottawa in 1993 was "across the river", was interesting in that they played a random hockey arena in the bowels of Hull, QC in the early 1990s, as I always thought the 2005 was their first "Ottawa" show.

Have you ideas on how this life ends?

Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Kitchener 09-11-2005 / Hamilton 09-13-2005 / Ottawa 09-16-2005 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Toronto 05-10-2006 / Toronto 08-21-2009 / Montreal 09-07-2011 / Toronto 09-11-2011 / Toronto 09-12-2011 / Ottawa 09-14-2011 / London 07/16/2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
  • AlaG said:
    People saying that EV and MC are too old to play 30 song sets…do you have access to their respective medical histories?

Jesus Christ, some people are such idiots.
    i'd dance with you but my hands are on fire
  • spiritualizedspiritualized Posts: 5
    edited September 2022
    Post edited by spiritualized on
    i'd dance with you but my hands are on fire

• May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • AlaG said:

For real. If you're pissed they aren't playing 30 songs, stay home and let someone else, who will appreciate the experience for what it is, have the ticket. I'm completely dumbfounded people are complaining PJ is playing for 2.5 hours and not 3+. Again, they are all approaching 60 years old and they've more than earned the right to decide on setlists and show lengths that work for them. We were lucky when they played 30 songs, and we're lucky as hell they are still together and playing 23 songs. If you don't like it, well, too bad....go somewhere else and ask to speak to the manager!
    2008 - Mansfield
    2008 - Montreal (EV Solo)
    2011 - East Troy PJ20
    2011 - Ottawa
    2014 - Denver
    2015 - Rio de Janeiro
    2016 - Toronto x2
    2018 - Boston x2
    2022 - Quebec, Hamilton, Toronto
    edited September 2022
    AlaG said:

For real. If you're pissed they aren't playing 30 songs, stay home and let someone else, who will appreciate the experience for what it is, have the ticket. I'm completely dumbfounded people are complaining PJ is playing for 2.5 hours and not 3+. Again, they are all approaching 60 years old and they've more than earned the right to decide on setlists and show lengths that work for them. We were lucky when they played 30 songs, and we're lucky as hell they are still together and playing 23 songs. If you don't like it, well, too bad....go somewhere else and ask to speak to the manager!
    The poster ripped my comment out of its context. I was not complaining about the shorter sets. I’m complaining about people speculating about the band’s health and fitness. It’s getting stupid, and it’s happened every tour for the past 10 years. They sounded better than they did in 2018 last night. By A LOT.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • AlaG said:
    AlaG said:

The poster ripped my comment out of its context. I was not complaining about the shorter sets. I’m complaining about people speculating about the band’s health and fitness. It’s getting stupid, and it’s happened every tour for the past 10 years. They sounded better than they did in 2018 last night. By A LOT.
    That's exactly the point. They sounded better now, because they are playing shorter sets and focusing on the musical quality. They slowed the tempo down and got their groove back. They didnt do this because they are unhealthy, they did this because they were over extending themselves the 5 years leading to the pandemic just to appease fans that wanted "epic" 30 song sets. Well the sets were overlong and suffering on quality. Ed asking for help from the crowd on every other song. The songs hemselves were rushed and MC complained about being completely spent, only to look down and see 6 songs left on the setlist. All of that is now fixed, and they sound fucking amazing again.
  • DPrival78DPrival78 Posts: 2,263
    seated starts, shorter sets, and - the biggest noticeable change to me: tuning down almost every song..  seems like they're taking measures to protect ed's voice. 

which, based on what happened in europe, makes sense
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  •  I Thought Canada  was a mellow place. So many complaints. Please just enjoy the moment . 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • DPrival78 said:
    seated starts, shorter sets, and - the biggest noticeable change to me: tuning down almost every song..  seems like they're taking measures to protect ed's voice. 

which, based on what happened in europe, makes sense
    Yup. Protect his voice, and make each show sound better. This is the third act of their career. What they were doing 03-18 was not sustainable. It was a fun run, though.
  • These last two set lists have me very excited for Nashville and St. Louis! Lots of unpredictability with the seated opening, some Gigaton, and plenty of hits (it’s been 4 years since I’ve seen them, I’ll take anything)!

Bring it on!
  • I’d take this set list in a heartbeat 
    2012 - Eddie Vedder/Glen Hansard
    2014 Memphis, 2022 Nashville
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,937
    Me too and I love the opening seated set. Haven’t seen it and I hope it Carrie’s on until St Louis when I get to see them. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Discopij said:
    Mortality said:
    Discopij said:
    Mortality said:
    Discopij said:
    Mortality said:
    Discopij said:
    Still hard to swallow that the show is almost over 
    135 minutes in QC. There is no short set problem. The ridiculous 35 song sets are over because MC and EV are too old to do that at full quality, and have been for 10 years. The quality has been better after the pandemic. They are more focused.
    I don’t know how many times it has to get repeated over and over … nobody is asking for 35 … but all 10 shows I’ve been to since 2010 were 30 or more and we can’t even get 25 this year
    Yes, I know that. But it didn't become 23 songs because they are lazy and went to 90 min shows. They made a conscious decision to focus, slow down the tempo, and put on the highest quality show possible. The days of appeasing the setlist box checkers are over, and they never sounded better for it. They literally got their groove back. 
    But these 22 song sets are not better or more focused the the old 30 song sets.  We are losing an average of 7-10 songs and gaining nothing in return.  It’s not going to stop me from going to shows but I’m tired of people pretending it’s not a huge change l.
    They are better. Much better. The 2 shows saw in the last year are better than my 8 previous, and there is no competition until getting back to Philly Spectrum and Bonnaroo1. That's pre 2010. Matt learned how to drum in PJ during the pandemic and they sound like a new fucking band. Better than ever. 135 minutes in QC and it was only 22 songs because of the tempo and focus on quality. 
    We’re not going to agree on this .  58 year old Matt Cameron didn’t finally learn how to play drums for PJ in his 24th year with the band 
    Agreed... Ridiculous 
    Lol I know. I mean we're all Fan Boys of this band. But like there's a difference between Fan Boy Nerd and licking boots. Yeesh.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    CP218430 said:
    Me too and I love the opening seated set. Haven’t seen it and I hope it Carrie’s on until St Louis when I get to see them. 
    We saw the stools set up preshow and I got hopeful it would happen. I've seen them set stools up before and then remove them, so it wasn't a sure thing until the lights went down. It's a great addition to this new format they are using. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
     I Thought Canada  was a mellow place. So many complaints. Please just enjoy the moment . 
    Those aren’t Canadians complaining. 😜

And certainly not people who were at last night’s show! Which was great. 👍🏻👍🏻

Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited September 2022
    Renfield said:
    @Weston1283 Huge thanks to our relayer of the evening.

Over to  @Go Animal for the final list

@Longueuil. We posted at the same time, same minute, but you beat me every time 

G’night all 

Not every time. And it's no competition.

I'm still on my little cloud today.

Of the girl - GARDEN - Alright - NAIS, right from the start this show was awsome.
    Post edited by Longueuil on
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    PeterED said:
     I Thought Canada  was a mellow place. So many complaints. Please just enjoy the moment . 
    Those aren’t Canadians complaining. 😜

And certainly not people who were at last night’s show! Which was great. 👍🏻👍🏻

+1
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054
    edited September 2022
    Longueuil said:
    Renfield said:

G’night all 

Of the girl - GARDEN - Alright - NAIS, right from the start this show was awsome.
    I would be too with that setlist. ☁️ 
    I wasn’t trying to be competitive, just thought maybe I should stop posting songs, thought I was being redundant. @GoAnimal told me it wasn’t a race, just continue on, so I did.  I had fun. You had a lot more fun!
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 376
    AlaG said:

NICE!!!!! (It’s the same handful of whiners over and over)
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054
    Lol I know. I mean we're all Fan Boys of this band. But like there's a difference between Fan Boy Nerd and licking boots. Yeesh.
    And some of us are Fan Girls =)
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,618
    Renfield said:
    Longueuil said:
    Renfield said:

G’night all 

I would be too with that setlist. ☁️ 
    I wasn’t trying to be competitive, just thought maybe I should stop posting songs, thought I was being redundant. @GoAnimal told me it wasn’t a race, just continue on, so I did.  I had fun. You had a lot more fun!
    🎶🎸c'malong people, now/smile on your brother/try to love one anotherrr right nowww🎶
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited September 2022
    MM70435 said:
    Renfield said:
    Dimi- Thinking of you. I know you love this song.

Did anyone ever say what happened to Dimi?  Did he maybe get a job and have to go to work like the rest of us instead of being able to travel the world and see every single show?  I never understood how all those deadheads traveled the country and went to every show.  what was their source of income?  I wondered the same thing about Dimi.  Nothing against the guy or anything.  The Greek economy stinks.  I just wish I had the opportunity to do the same thing.
    Dimi has a job.
    He saw Pearl Jam shows in Europe this year.  He is not doing any PJ shows in North America in 2022.
    Dimi still runs setlist threads on Facebook.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,540
    MM70435 said:
    Only 3 songs from Gigaton and 6 from Ten.  I would be disappointed.  I'm not complaining by any means.  Just commenting.  I just happen to love Gigaton and want more than 3 songs.  This is the supposed Gigaton tour still isn't it?  And four from Yield.  Given 2 Fly and DTE of course.  I'm still not complaining.  Just commenting. At the Sea, hear, now you got 6 Gigaton songs, at the Ohana festival you got 5,6, then 5 from Gigaton and at San Diego you got a whopping 8 from Gigaton then LA1 gave you 6 Gigaton and since then it's like they said F*#k this great new album we made let's go back to more Ten that we have been playing for 30 years.  3-4 songs only for Gigaton since.  Yes they did play 5 from Gigaton the other night which was nice, but it is only the second time since LA1 that you got more than the customary 3-4 songs from Gigaton.  Gigaton is a great album to me and I just want to hear it and if I fly all the way up to Philly in a couple of weeks and they only play 3 songs from it, I will likely be disappointed.  I'm not complaining of course, just commenting on how I feel.  And I also don't get caught up in the song totals because they could play Eruption, slow lukin, fast lukin, and wasted reprise quicker than one crazy mary with a great extended Boom jam.  Sorry I rambled on so long.  I just love this band so much and these shorter sets are just fine with me.  They sound great on the boots and everyone says they sound great live as well.  Can't wait for Philly/Camden then Nashville!

My first Garden in fifteen years, and it’s possibly their best live song. That chorus is INCREDIBLE live. One of the biggest bummers about Even Flow and Jeremy being so huge at shows is that not that they aren’t good, it’s that it buries songs like garden, deep and oceans. So if it takes six songs from ten to get to the garden so be it. 

Not sure why all the (other) comments about shorter sets, Ottawa was the same length, 2.5 hours, as Fenway 2018. Yes fewer songs, but also playing at a better slower tempo and longer songs, as you mentioned. If anything, they should cut the covers to get to more new songs, but those two from Neil are killer live. They have tough choices on setlists. Trust me, I am a big complainer about setlists, this one was top notch. Kept the crowd on fire and a couple of great deeper cuts for the members

• We had seats in section 107 which were great and had a clear view of all the ongoings during the show. My opinion of Josh is one of extreme appreciation. He is tucked away back in the corner and he’s not on for every song but when he is, he is working his ass off back there. Percussion, Guitar, Backing Vocals, I’m guessing keys or synth board of some kind? When he wasn’t performing on a song he was taking pictures non stop from all over the back of the stage. Around and over the amps etc. was very fun to watch him do his thing. I even saw him kind of fist pump the air after capturing a pic of Mike playing into his amp in the stage light. Guy really helped the band in my opinion. By no means is this a complaint, more the reality of time, but the guys are getting older and the marathon shows are unlikely to be a every show occurrence, if ever again. I feel that Josh was a sweetener for Matt, and particularly for Ed on backing vocals. Ed’s voice is still great but if you have seen them a lot love over the years, you notice his mild cheat methods where he struggles a bit and Josh really filled in well in those moments so Ed didn’t have to throw it to the crowd to fill in as much as he has done the last few tours. They sounded great and they mixed the setlist pretty well. That setlist was a casual fans dream. Lots of hits and recognizable songs. Great crowd energy and Canadians are just really lovely and friendly people. Love going to shows in Canada and I recommend it to everyone to venture north at least once. I for one go to shows in hopes that 90% of the crowd walks out angry saying I didn’t know almost any of what they played, but I really was glad to see them and hear the songs that made me love them in the first place still get played and still sound great. MSG for me next Sunday and then I’m going to retire from traveling for shows. Home games for me from now on. Last time they were in my hometown was 2006 so it might be a while…. Everyone enjoy the tour and be safe. 
    09/13/98 - 08/27/00 - 08/29/00 - 08/30/00 - 04/29/03 - 07/03/03 - 07/11/03 - 09/28/04 - 09/15/05 - 05/12/06 -10/15/13 - 10/25/13 - 04/29/16 - 05/01/16 - 05/02/16 - 05/08/16 - 08/05/16 - 08/07/16 - RRHOF-04/07/17 - 09/02/18 - 09/04/18 - 09/03/22 - 09/11/22

E.V-06/08/09 - 06/09/09