Options

Why do people still cling to Dave Abbruzzese as being the "best" drummer"

StoveStove Posts: 316
edited August 2022 in The Porch
Just let it go!
     Now keep in mind that...I didn't see PJ in their heyday. So I don't have that nostalgia, like some.  And don't get me wrong he was useful for the albums he was one...And here's my thing. Dave would have not have survived past Vitalogy. He was the right drummer at the right time. Just as Jack Irons was the right drummer for No Code and Yield. I cannot imagine anyone else but Jack playing on those because he added soooo much. Can you imagine Dave playing Given to Fly? Wishlist? Dear god no. It's much in the same way Matt Cam has been the quintessential to keep the bands flow live (he is the machine after all) from first filling in plus his contributions as a songwriter. Lastly, controversial opinion.....sorry not sorry, Dave hit's too loud and added too much flare to ever little part of the songs. He wanted Pearl Jam to be a hard rock band and they are so much more. Aaaannnddd argure with me!
Post edited by Stove on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    i dont get it
    danny d
  • Options
    Stove said:
     Can you imagine Dave playing Given to Fly? Wishlist?
    Sure why not.

It's cool that Ace and Peter played Lick it up  on the Farewell Tour.

YOU GOTTA LIVE LIKE YOU'RE ON VACATION!

https://youtu.be/Guapdkue43w
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Porch TMZ post of the day! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    I agree, they were all probably the best drummers for the albums they were playing on.

the albums changed a lot.  As did drumming styles 

its probably based on what your favourite album is. Objectively I think MC is the best drummer overall 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    #DaveATruthers

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

Nostalgia. 
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,375
    I think its just pace. We were all younger, it was faster, Dave played FAST...my friends who loved Pearl Jam then and don't now all say its because of no Dave. And its not just that, its the pace has slowed. They listen to Shinedown or something now.
  • Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    Because they are still pre-occupied with 1991
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884

...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Who wouldn’t love more Vs.?
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    RS65573 said:
    I think its just pace. We were all younger, it was faster, Dave played FAST...my friends who loved Pearl Jam then and don't now all say its because of no Dave. And its not just that, its the pace has slowed. They listen to Shinedown or something now.
    If that is the case, they chose another great band to listen to in Shinedown. Brent has a powerhouse of a voice 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    edited August 2022
    Stove said:
    Just let it go!
         Now keep in mind that...I didn't see PJ in their heyday. So I don't have that nostalgia, like some.  And don't get me wrong he was useful for the albums he was one...And here's my thing. Dave would have not have survived past Vitalogy. He was the right drummer at the right time. Just as Jack Irons was the right drummer for No Code and Yield. I cannot imagine anyone else but Jack playing on those because he added soooo much. Can you imagine Dave playing Given to Fly? Wishlist? Dear god no. It's much in the same way Matt Cam has been the quintessential to keep the bands flow live (he is the machine after all) from first filling in plus his contributions as a songwriter. Lastly, controversial opinion.....sorry not sorry, Dave hit's too loud and added too much flare to ever little part of the songs. He wanted Pearl Jam to be a hard rock band and they are so much more. Aaaannnddd argure with me!
    You argument is weirdly fatalistic. Like time is set in stone, and Wishlist had to be written and played, and played just like it was recorded in some sole timeline that is the only one that could have existed. Very weird way to view time. 

If Dave A was around. No Code would have been a different album. The timeline would have been completely different, and the butterfly effect could have made that grammy-winning, influential and record breaking album replacing No Code cause James Cameron to skip making Avatar and instead working on a real and amazing Terminator 3. And give us world peace.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Why do people make threads about people saying Dave A was the best drummer?

Yes I could imagine Dave playing on any of their records. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited August 2022

How does Ed sleep at night knowing that he blew our only chance for world peace when he kicked Dave A out of the band? 
  • Options
    bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 139
    Real answer? DAnon, I mean Dave A. still clings to Dave Abbruzzese as being the "best" drummer. All the other drummers are lizard drummers.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Van Halen or Van Hagar?

Pearl Jambruzzesse or Pearl Jack or Pearl Jameron?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    It's the same people that  think we still live in 1994, that no new fans of the band should have been allowed after they became fans, that as early fans they should have exclusive access to front row or GA at their selected shows at all times in perpetuity and that that they are being "ripped off" by tickets that have a face value isn't the same as it was 30 years ago but is still half of the going rate for arena acts.  
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Stove said:
    Just let it go!
    You argument is weirdly fatalistic. Like time is set in stone, and Wishlist had to be written and played, and played just like it was recorded in some sole timeline that is the only one that could have existed. Very weird way to view time. 

If Dave A was around. No Code would have been a different album. The timeline would have been completely different, and the butterfly effect could have made that grammy-winning, influential and record breaking album replacing No Code cause James Cameron to skip making Avatar and instead working on a real and amazing Terminator 3. And give us world peace.
    Fatal is a highly underrated song though.  =)
  • Options
    Stove said:
    Just let it go!

It's more in some people hem and haw about Dave was the best drummer and should still be in the band. My point is he wouldn't have survived the evolution on the band. Not by a long shot. PJ became so nuanced with softer songs. The closest I can think of Dave doing a soft song is Indifference.
  • Options
    bmurray06 said:
    Real answer? DAnon, I mean Dave A. still clings to Dave Abbruzzese as being the "best" drummer. All the other drummers are lizard drummers.

This makes...so much sense now.  ;)

• Options
    Stove said:
     Can you imagine Dave playing Given to Fly? Wishlist?
    Sure why not.

It's cool that Ace and Peter played Lick it up  on the Farewell Tour.

YOU GOTTA LIVE LIKE YOU'RE ON VACATION!

https://youtu.be/Guapdkue43w
    I like those ladies wearing the pretty makeup! :)
  • Options
    Why do people make threads about people saying Dave A was the best drummer?

Yes I could imagine Dave playing on any of their records. 
    I haven't seen those threads I find it more on IG when Grunglebible posts an old clip...and there he is..behind the kit, smacking away. Playing as loud as he can b/c he thinks he's in a metal band.  Adding his little splash cymbal at the end of every verse of the song. Here comes Dave with his little soul patch, gotta hit the drums super hard! And it's just so embarrassing. And then defenders come out saying "he was the best drummer" but I'd imagine it is much of what I'd already confirmed and people have said here.  The same bunch of people that want to hear old stuff every show and haven't bought any of the new albums.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I agree, they were all probably the best drummers for the albums they were playing on.

the albums changed a lot.  As did drumming styles 

its probably based on what your favourite album is. Objectively I think MC is the best drummer overall 
    It's not objective. It's actually a fact.  :) 
  • Options
    Van Halen or Van Hagar?

The Van Halen thing makes no sense to me. We all know the answer to that one. Chickenfoot obviously.... :D
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    Van Halen or Van Hagar?

Pearl Jameron. It's just the best sounding of the three.

(Pearl Jack sounds like Eddie's pirate name...)
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    Porch TMZ post of the day! 
    Honored and humbled.  =)
  • Options
    It's probably only a handful of people making all of the noise.  I would say the overwhelming silent majority accept Matt as the drummer and don't even bother discussing it.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Pearl Jam reaped the benefits of having the right drummers at the right time. Dave A during their aggressive phase. Jack during their experimental phase. And now Matt during their rock band phase. they all worked. And I'm sure their drumming influenced the phases as much as the phases influenced them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    Pearl Jam reaped the benefits of having the right drummers at the right time. Dave A during their aggressive phase. Jack during their experimental phase. And now Matt during their rock band phase. they all worked. And I'm sure their drumming influenced the phases as much as the phases influenced them. 
    Exactly 

the opposite of that is to consider their catalogue as it is now which is a result of those different influences.

who is best suited to play that wide ranging body of work as it exists now and in it’s entirety?

it’s not Dave A for sure 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on