Clutch

Now the third one's difficult - contenders that spring to mind are;
    Foo Fighters
    NIN
    Tool
    Sufjan Stevens
    Fu Manchu
    Stone Temple Pilots

I'm sure there are more, but can't make a decision!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    The Supersuckers put on a hell of a live show. I've been fortunate enough to see Eddie Spaghetti (Supersuckers singer and bassist) open for them. You really get to see them in two different lights: first the acoustic country way then the balls out rock your ass kind of way. Their shows are usually no more than fifteen bucks and well worth the experience.

Going to see the 'suckers next month :D
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    What about Rush?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

I saw them at the Gorge in May, KICKED SOME SERIOUS ASS!
    And together, they are the most talented band on earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRy4ks87Xg&feature=related
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    1) Drive-by Truckers
    2) Pearl Jam
    3) Jason Isbel and the 400 Unit
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    lol @ anyone who said RHCP or DMB
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    The Supersuckers put on a hell of a live show. I've been fortunate enough to see Eddie Spaghetti (Supersuckers singer and bassist) open for them. You really get to see them in two different lights: first the acoustic country way then the balls out rock your ass kind of way. Their shows are usually no more than fifteen bucks and well worth the experience.

I've seen the Supersucker thrice. The first time was opening for Pearl Jam, which was incredible. The second time, it was in a packed bar for 15 bucks, that was pretty damn sweet. The last time I saw them was only a couple of weeks ago and it might have been one of the best. 10 bucks, tiny bar. There were maybe 50 people there. I was close enough and the stage was low enough that I got hit with the headstock of a guitar like 30 times.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    1.Creed
    2.Nickelback
    3.Theory of a Deadman

Oh shit,im on the wrong message board!
    8/18/93-Toronto
    9/21/96-T.O
    10/1/96- Buff.
    8/22/98-Barrie
    10/5/00-T.O
    5/2/03-Buff.
    6/28/03-T.O.
    6/29/03-MTL.
    9/28/04-Bos.
    9/11/05-Kitchener
    9/12/05-London
    9/13/05-Hamilton
    9/19/05-T.O.
    5/9/06-T.O.
    5/10/06-T.O.
    E.V 08/12&13-MASSEY!!
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    My purely unofficial opinion:

1) Pearl Jam
    2) The Arcade Fire
    3) R.E.M.

Hard to leave out:
    4) Radiohead
    5) Wilco
    6) Nine Inch Nails

i saw bjork a few months ago and she was fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
    danny d
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229

The Crowes are just firing on all cylinders right now. They mix up the setlists, throw in great covers (Don't Do It, Torn and Frayed, Poor Elijah, etc.). Plus the fact that they play smaller venues makes the shows seem very intimate. Seeing them twice in October and am actually more excited than when I saw PJ for two shows back in June.

And if I can add one more live band (even though I haven't seen them in like 6 or 7 years), RATM is like no other concert experience.

Maybe I'll give them another shot the next time they swing through my part of town. I agree, there are certain bands out there that are just purely live musicians and that's where they shine best!

Totally agree on your TBC observations. They are, musically speaking anyway, probably the best live band out there right now. Never seen a band live that was able to infuse so many different styles into their music and still make it entirely their own sound.

Seeing TBC in Sept. in Santa Cruz as well as the entire Fillmore run in SF this December...going to be good times fo' sho! I'm CAmorican on Amorica2 if you dwell there.

And spot on with the RATM mention. Actually they were one of my first thoughts when I thought of best live bands...then I realized it was only bands still tourning now and not just overall. RATM blows the doors off of 95% of the bands that are mentioned in this thread.

Peace on you!
    RM
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    jmccue7 wrote:
    PJ
    Springsteen
    Tool

honestly if you've seen RHCP once, you've seen them 50 times

Same goes for KISS. Saw them for the first time ever (actually my first concert ever too) as a wee 8 year old back in '78. I then saw them again in either '83 or '84 and with the exception of a few new tracks off the Animalize album added to the setlist it was the same exact show...EVEN the things they said in between songs!!!

I then saw them again in '00 on one of their series of farewell tours and was blown away when I saw pretty much the same show I saw 20 years earlier, verbatim. Disappointing to say the least. A great cock rock band...but that's because their a bunch of cocks now.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    Pearl jam

Bad religion

Queens of the stone age
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    1 - My Morning Jacket
    2 - Pearl Jam
    3 - Black Keys

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    only because these are the freshest and most nostalgic for me as of this summer:
    pearl jam
    radiohead
    nine inch nails

bands i'd like to see that i've heard are amazing live and its actually a travesty i haven't seen them live yet because i love them dearly:
    arcade fire
    incubus
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Pearl Jam and Arcade Fire are 1a and 1b. After them, there is a group of bands I would put up there. Incubus, Wilco, Nine Inch Nails. . .
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    live? in this order..

the frames
    pearl jam
    arcade fire/radiohead...that's a tie..
  • Options
    battan1120battan1120 Posts: 310
    Phil Lesh @ Friends....Phil 30 plus years of playing live music
    Pearl Jam....play together for another 15 plus years than they'll reach the status above
    Derek Trucks Band..... Derek is the best finger picker out there.....period
    THE BEST LIVE BAND EVER THE GOOD OLD GRATEFUL DEAD!!!!!!
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
  • Options
    Pearl Jam
    Local H
    Mudhoney

also
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Ben Folds
    Fleet Foxes
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    I am so excited! I am seeing Bad Religion here in San Fran in September! Can't fucking wait!

I am seeing them in sept as well. It will be my 4th and the second time at this venue, a really small theatre. Last time was fucking incredible! I can't wait.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Pearl Jam
    My Morning Jacket
    Kings of Leon
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    JboogieJboogie Posts: 34
    Pearl Jam
    The Black Crowes
    Soulive
  • Options
    Pearl Jam
    Local H
    Mudhoney

also
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Ben Folds
    Fleet Foxes

Great list; Local H and Mudhoney are both honorable mentions for me.
  • Options
    cschwa17cschwa17 Posts: 46
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. MMJ
    3. Raconteurs

I see everyone with radiohead on here, after hearing people rave about them and drool over them I listened to all their studio stuff and it didnt grab me at all. Then people said, "well you gotta see them live, thats what its all about with them", so I saw them live at Lollapalooza this year, and I swear to you, i hated the performance. It was sleepy trancy, go to bed music. Is this normal? people think im insane for not getting it. I am always fair when listening to other artists and give bands a chance but radiohead just bombed out for me. Please tell me someone agrees with me and im not NuTs!! ha!
  • Options
    alive25alive25 Posts: 124
    Rush!!!!??????
  • Options
    alive25alive25 Posts: 124
    down_ski wrote:
    What about Rush?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

I saw them at the Gorge in May, KICKED SOME SERIOUS ASS!
    And together, they are the most talented band on earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRy4ks87Xg&feature=related
    THANK YOU!!!!!
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    brandon10 wrote:
    I am seeing them in sept as well. It will be my 4th and the second time at this venue, a really small theatre. Last time was fucking incredible! I can't wait.

Bad Religion puts on a great show. I saw them with Dropkick Murphys a couple of years ago, it was nuts. They're playing in Winnipeg in a few weeks, but it's at a shitty seated theatre, so I'm going to skip it this time around.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    ediger wrote:
    Bad Religion puts on a great show. I saw them with Dropkick Murphys a couple of years ago, it was nuts. They're playing in Winnipeg in a few weeks, but it's at a shitty seated theatre, so I'm going to skip it this time around.

I guess beggers can be choosers
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    cschwa17 wrote:
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. MMJ
    3. Raconteurs

I see everyone with radiohead on here, after hearing people rave about them and drool over them I listened to all their studio stuff and it didnt grab me at all. Then people said, "well you gotta see them live, thats what its all about with them", so I saw them live at Lollapalooza this year, and I swear to you, i hated the performance. It was sleepy trancy, go to bed music. Is this normal? people think im insane for not getting it. I am always fair when listening to other artists and give bands a chance but radiohead just bombed out for me. Please tell me someone agrees with me and im not NuTs!! ha!

they definetly are not for everyone, pretty much either love them or hate them band
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    cschwa17 wrote:
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. MMJ
    3. Raconteurs

I don't know. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, and undoubtedly everyone's tastes differ when it comes to music.

But I can say I've experienced three different instances where I went to a show with a Radiohead sceptic/doubter/hater and ALL three times the person was blown away by the performance and left the show finally "getting it."
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    Pearl Jam
    The Who - Am I the first to mention them?????
    The arcade Fire