Options

The 3 Best Current Live Bands

Comments

• Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    I don't know. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, and undoubtedly everyone's tastes differ when it comes to music.

But I can say I've experienced three different instances where I went to a show with a Radiohead sceptic/doubter/hater and ALL three times the person was blown away by the performance and left the show finally "getting it."

My friend saw them at lolla this year and said the same thing, made him sleepy and bored
  • Options
    kylan11kylan11 Posts: 20

pearl jam
    radiohead
    nine inch nails

I agree!! Although, Stone Temple Pilots was a pretty amazing show.
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    Pearl Jam
    U2
    Neil Young

Others....

Spiritualized
    NIN
    ACDC
    Tom Petty
    Modest Mouse
    Tragically Hip
    Korn
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Coheed and Cambria
    3. Incubus
  • Options
    pearl jam
    allman bros
    raconteurs
    MSG 2 - 03
    Ed Sullivan Theater - 06
    Irving Plaza - 06
    Albany - 06
    Hartford - 06
    East Rutherford 1 & 2 - 06
    San Francisco 1 & 2 - 06
    Bonnaroo - 08
    MSG 1 & 2 - 08
    Hartford - 08
    Mansfield 1 - 08
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Pearl Jam
    Rush
    State Radio

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Radiohead
    3. Kings Of Leon

Honorable mentions:

Wolfmother, Metallica, My Morning Jacket, The Raconteurs, Muse (hard for me to deicde whether or not to put them in the top 3, oh well), Foo Fighters (not a big fan, but I will admit that they are good).
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    1)Radiohead
    2)Pearl Jam
    3)Nine Inch Nails

Yeah except switch 1 with 2
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,872
    MattyJoe wrote:
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Radiohead
    3. Kings Of Leon

Honorable mentions:

Wolfmother, Metallica, My Morning Jacket, The Raconteurs, Muse (hard for me to deicde whether or not to put them in the top 3, oh well), Foo Fighters (not a big fan, but I will admit that they are good).
    I can't believe that so many people think the FF are a good band. They were definitely the worst band I saw live this year out of about 15 shows.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. Radiohead
    3. Kings Of Leon

Honorable mentions:

Not to nit pick but wolfmother broke up so they are not current any more.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I can't believe that so many people think the FF are a good band. They were definitely the worst band I saw live this year out of about 15 shows.

I dont need to see them live to know they suck.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Not to nit pick but wolfmother broke up so they are not current any more.

You're right but they're not technically dead. Stockdale is gonna recruit new members.

Wolfmother was fucking GOOD live.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Agreed. I saw them a few years ago. Not good at all. Weezer blew em out of the water.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    My purely unofficial opinion:

1) Pearl Jam
    2) The Arcade Fire
    3) R.E.M.

Hard to leave out:
    4) Radiohead
    5) Wilco
    6) Nine Inch Nails

im not a huge r.e.m. fan, but when i saw them in june they were AMAZING.

on the other hand, radiohead's set at lollapalooza was incredibly lame and a huge disappointment. nine inch nails kicked ass though.

my votes:
    1. hold steady
    2. pearl jam
    3. black crowes/nine inch nails... not sure on that one, depends on my mood
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    the DRIVE BY TRUCKERS are easily one of the best live rock bands out there! course if youre a yankee you wouldnt get it..."stay out the way of the southern thang!"
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    bobleash said:
    Rancid/murphys law
    rage against the machine, they are just like pearl Jam every song is awesome.
    MURPHYS LAW! Just caught them last night. Cheap and grrrreeeat. If they swing by your neighborhood and you like fun hardcore music...go.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Wilco
    My Morning Jacket
    Radiohead
    Pearl Jam
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    se7v7en said:
    I don't know. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, and undoubtedly everyone's tastes differ when it comes to music.

But I can say I've experienced three different instances where I went to a show with a Radiohead sceptic/doubter/hater and ALL three times the person was blown away by the performance and left the show finally "getting it."

My friend saw them at lolla this year and said the same thing, made him sleepy and bored
    I could see that if you weren't into their catalog.  Radiohead is a band that needs attention.  But once you figure it out it's amazing.

I saw them three times last year (first time ever) and was blown away.  I think they started the show with the same 2-3 songs but mixed it up after that.  Amazing live act.  The anticipation of what they will play next is just as big as PJ.  Except they don't play Sirens.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    se7v7en said:

I could see that if you weren't into their catalog.  Radiohead is a band that needs attention.  But once you figure it out it's amazing.

I saw them three times last year (first time ever) and was blown away.  I think they started the show with the same 2-3 songs but mixed it up after that.  Amazing live act.  The anticipation of what they will play next is just as big as PJ.  Except they don't play Sirens.
    Same saw them three times on this last tour and each night was better than the next. Tour closer in Philly was probably my favorite live show of 2018.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    edited March 2019
    the DRIVE BY TRUCKERS are easily one of the best live rock bands out there! course if youre a yankee you wouldnt get it..."stay out the way of the southern thang!"
    Second that! I didn't get into DBT until 2013 but that is OK because I like their current lineup best of all the various iterations. American Band was the album the rock and roll world needed in 2016, and I think their pending follow up record will be great too. I would still go to a PJ show over DBT, but the Tuckers are far more topically relevant and current, and whereas Ed and the band have shied away from the political content song-wise and in stage banter, DBT have stepped it up in recent years.
    Post edited by ceska on
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    bobleash said:
    Rancid/murphys law
    rage against the machine, they are just like pearl Jam every song is awesome.

Jimmy G from Murphy's Law I would consider the be the funniest front man of any band period. Seen them over a dozen times in the past 20 years and every time they kill it live and it feels like a standup comedy event for hardcore shows.

So top three live no order

Murphy's Law
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones ( easily the most energy I have ever seen on stage , always switching up the setlist , never feels phoned in ) Also being from Boston have seem them at a min of 100 times since 93.
    Pearl Jam

• Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Also just to add on , I find it amazing when people are upset over other's picks , I may not be into DMB but hey if you are more power too you , live music is amazing and if you enjoy it then more power too you.

I should have added Bane as a close third even though they are broken up

Or New Found Glory as a back up for my third.

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Pearl Jam 
    Highly Suspect 
    Rare Creatures 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    I assume everyone is basing this on bands/artists they've actually seen, i.e. best 3 live acts we've been lucky enough to witness. Mine are:

Pearl Jam
    The Tea Party
    Glen Hansard

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 276

Pearl Jam 

The Avett Brothers

J Roddy Walston & the Business

• Options
    petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    BRMC
    Pearl Jam 
    Mark Lanegan Band
  • Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    Best 3 I've seen:

Pearl Jam
    Clutch (short sets, but damn are they ever tight)
    Cat Power (I think it's hit/miss with her)

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    NiktoNikto Melbourne, Australia Posts: 133
    Cold Chisel
    Pearl Jam
    Stereophonics

Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    My opinion and who I’ve seen and in this order:

1. Pearl Jam
    2. Muse
    3. NIN
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Also, Mudhoney!!  I saw them last month and it was amazing!  They’re on tour so if you haven’t seen them yet do it! 
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel