Options

This one's done.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
edited September 2022 in Other Music
Over the last couple of years (including being immersed in one now, Moon, by Tony Fletcher), I read some really fine books relating to The Who.  A couple of them pointed out something that fascinates me which is that one of the things that made The Who unique was that you had a guitar player who played his instruments like a drum, a drummer who played his kit like a guitar, a bass player who played his bass like a lead guitar, and a singer whose singing style changed and evolved along with Townshend's writing.  In that way (and others, like creating rock operas), they made a huge impact on rock music.
That got me to thinking about which bands or musicians made greatest impact on rock and I decided to try to come up with five (and five only) who made the biggest impact.  I came up with:

Elvis Presley.  Elvis didn't really so much create new things in music, as he did stage presentation utilizing with his charismatic stage presence.
Bob Dylan:  By melding folk with rock and writing extended narrative songwriting, and poetry, Dylan expanded the scope of rock.
The Who:  As above.
Jimi Hendrix:  Hendrix not only changed the sonic quality of guitar playing and influenced countless players after him, but also melded blues, r&b, early rock, and psychedelia in new ways.  And the Experience was, though not the first, probably the most visible early integrated band.
The Sex Pistols:  A hard 5th choice (the Clash and Ramones are strong considerations) because I really don't think the Pistols were either the first nor the best punk band, but they were the most visible and prototypical punk band.

I fully expect (hope, actually), others will have differing takes on this idea.  Let's see what you come up with- hopefully with some reasoning for choices, and not just mere lists.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,990
    Little Richard - The source of all RnR
    Elvis - Elevated its popularity
    The Beatles - Defined its dominance and pushed its sound
    The Ramones - Gave it teeth
    Nirvana - Probably too on the nose for a forum with a foot firmly in the era, but I'd argue they elevated the underground to the mainstream, proving all aspects and sounds of RnR could have a chance at being viable commercially and sonically. 

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,990
    There are thousands of artists who in each of their own meaningful ways contributed to the melange that is rock music, and are worthy of mentioning. Personally I think those 5 artists are the touchstones, the ones people continually trace the through-lines to and therefore, are the most impactful.
  • Options
    There are thousands of artists who in each of their own meaningful ways contributed to the melange that is rock music, and are worthy of mentioning. Personally I think those 5 artists are the touchstones, the ones people continually trace the through-lines to and therefore, are the most impactful.

The list really could be long, right?!  I decided to make it a short list figuring it would add some variety to the responses. 
    The five you listed are major movers, for sure.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Z
    A
    P
    P
    A
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Zasu Pitts
    ABBA
    Paul Revere and the Raiders
    Pablo Cruise
    A Flock of Seagulls

Hey, that's cool.  A little bit of an unusual list, but I'm open to it!

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,487
    Black Sabbath - Metal
    Eagles - For better or worse, made Country Rock popular
    Run-D.M.C. - Often incorporated rock in their music, leading to rap/rock hybrid bands/"nu-metal"
    R.E.M. - Indie rock
    Pixies - Alternative/"Grunge"

• Options
    Black Sabbath - Metal
    Eagles - For better or worse, made Country Rock popular
    Run-D.M.C. - Often incorporated rock in their music, leading to rap/rock hybrid bands/"nu-metal"
    R.E.M. - Indie rock
    Pixies - Alternative/"Grunge"

"For better or worse", lol, good one!  :smiley:

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,490
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Zasu Pitts
    ABBA
    Pablo Cruise
    A Flock of Seagulls

LOL

T
    I
    N
    Y
    T
    I
    M

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Zasu Pitts
    ABBA
    Pablo Cruise
    A Flock of Seagulls

LOL

T
    I
    N
    Y
    T
    I
    M

He tiptoed an odd duck life.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Zasu Pitts
    ABBA
    Pablo Cruise
    A Flock of Seagulls

LOL

T
    I
    N
    Y
    T
    I
    M

He tiptoed an odd duck life.
    Right? And I didn't stick w/ the 5 theme, so...

B

O

W

I

E
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Great question Brian.

I think only a few have done things to "change" music and the landscape that can not be argued with.

Muddy Waters- Everyone stole from him and vice versa?  There were other guitarists but everyone always sites him as an influence.

Pete Seeger- He brought folk music to the masses and wrote songs you probably didn't realize he wrote like "Hammer song" and "Turn Turn Turn.

Hank Williams sr- Americas first Rock Star.  His music was everywhere.  He sold out wherever he went and partied hard when he did.  Died at only 29.  Way before social media and television, Hank Williams became a national star.

Elvis Presley- If you get banned from the waist down on TV you were doing something right, lol.  He hit the world like a hammer. He made women faint.  What he did was crazy.

The Beetles- A band that changed the way in recording w layering and harmonies.  A band so big that they stopped touring and only made studio albums.

Jimi Hendrix- He has a sound so unique that is all his.  The greatest and to me, most influential guitarist of all time.

Black Sabbath- 4 guys from  Birmingham, England that sung dark lyrics and played power chords to the delight of many a fan and birth of metal.

Sex Pistols- The Ramones were first but the Pistols made everyone aware of punk.

Van Halen-  It was more for Eddie VanHalens playing style than the band itself.  EVH would dummy wires in his guitar so people couldn't mimic the sound.  The second most influential guitarist of all time.

Grand Master Flash-  One of the fathers of the birth of hip-hop.  Run DMC may have been bigger but if not for him and the Furious Five there is no rap future. They even coined the term hip-hop.

Nirvana- Janes addiction was gaining a lot of traction but Smells Like Teen Spirit was the song that overnight took over the radio and MTV and gone were the awful hair bands polluting the airwaves.

Daft Punk- Bringing in DJing to another level.  The Chemical Brothers were packing stadiums but it was Daft Punk that had the image w their space helmets and auto tuned voices that captured the audiences.  EDC wouldn't be around if not for a band like Daft Punk.

Linkin Park-  Brought EMO music to a whole other level.  They were so big Jay-Z wanted to do an album w them.  That's huge.  They wrote songs about pain and angst for the people who couldn't fight and told their stories that were their own.

I wanted to mention Minor Threat for their staple on the Straight Edge movement and writing an X on your hand.  To this day Straight edge is still around and they are very much the reason for it in the first place. It's a smaller movement than any of the above but it definitely sparked other bands.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    I'm glad to see The Sex Pistols are getting some love. :how_interesting:
  • Options
    I actually can't stand them but I understand their place in history.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,532

I wouldn't say they're top 5, but both Beastie Boys & Faith No More always did things their own way & definitely kicked in a lot of doors for rock music. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    I feel like Elvis and then the Beatles massively changed the direction of music.  I'm not sure how they don't always make the list.  I feel like after that there's alot more arguments to be had.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,880
    Not rock but
    Dirty Rotten Imbeciles fused thrash hardcore and metal together.

Tom Waits (just because he plays a barn door and I want more)

Not Led Zeppelin (I like them but feel they borrowed too much from blues musicians)

Rolling Stones were pretty innovative (use country blues and rock well)  and gave credit to those they borrowed from

Mitch Rider (sp) and ...
    Gave the happy dance tunes a sweaty gritty edge. Almost punkish. Recently picked up a tape and love it 

Ramones just because they did what they wanted.

That's all for now.

Fun to think about

• Options
    dankind said:
    Z
    A
    P
    P
    A
    What about that zappa song where the lyrics are backwards. I wish I had the record so I could decode it. I thought it was another language or gibberish til I read the liner notes. Don't know the name but off 'them or us'.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I just want to add Janis Joplin to the mix, because I think she would have to be the Patron Saint of Frontwomen and she was able to bring the music of Blueswomen to the mainstream...Bessie Smith and Big Mama Thornton.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    ^^^She sure did something cool. Not my cup of tea but glad she took a chance and tore stuff up.
  • Options
    You know who is missing on this list?  Alanis Morrissette.  She single handedly made women taken seriously in music.  Yes, before her were others but you really saw an explosion of talent after Jagged came out.
  • Options
    Madonna can perhaps be mentioned as she kept reinventing herself and made pop music a power and was always ahead of it in a world where the light burns out rather quick, she made herself relevant for 30+ years.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    Zod said:
    I feel like Elvis and then the Beatles massively changed the direction of music.  I'm not sure how they don't always make the list.  I feel like after that there's alot more arguments to be had.
    Absolutely.
    Culturally there are no bigger influences in rock music history (frankly just music history) than these 2.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,352
    Bite your tongue. 
  • Options
    Bite your tongue. 
    We've discussed this before, lol!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    They were the original boy band, right?
    Malcolm McLaren was the precursor to Lou Pearlman.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    They were the original boy band, right?
    Malcolm McLaren was the precursor to Lou Pearlman.
    Ha!  That's funny!

I was going to go with one of the 5 bands like MC5 or Jackson 5 actually.
  • Options
    Great question Brian.

I think only a few have done things to "change" music and the landscape that can not be argued with.

Muddy Waters- Everyone stole from him and vice versa?  There were other guitarists but everyone always sites him as an influence.

Pete Seeger- He brought folk music to the masses and wrote songs you probably didn't realize he wrote like "Hammer song" and "Turn Turn Turn.

Hank Williams sr- Americas first Rock Star.  His music was everywhere.  He sold out wherever he went and partied hard when he did.  Died at only 29.  Way before social media and television, Hank Williams became a national star.

Elvis Presley- If you get banned from the waist down on TV you were doing something right, lol.  He hit the world like a hammer. He made women faint.  What he did was crazy.

The Beetles- A band that changed the way in recording w layering and harmonies.  A band so big that they stopped touring and only made studio albums.

Jimi Hendrix- He has a sound so unique that is all his.  The greatest and to me, most influential guitarist of all time.

Black Sabbath- 4 guys from  Birmingham, England that sung dark lyrics and played power chords to the delight of many a fan and birth of metal.

Sex Pistols- The Ramones were first but the Pistols made everyone aware of punk.

Van Halen-  It was more for Eddie VanHalens playing style than the band itself.  EVH would dummy wires in his guitar so people couldn't mimic the sound.  The second most influential guitarist of all time.

Grand Master Flash-  One of the fathers of the birth of hip-hop.  Run DMC may have been bigger but if not for him and the Furious Five there is no rap future. They even coined the term hip-hop.

Nirvana- Janes addiction was gaining a lot of traction but Smells Like Teen Spirit was the song that overnight took over the radio and MTV and gone were the awful hair bands polluting the airwaves.

Daft Punk- Bringing in DJing to another level.  The Chemical Brothers were packing stadiums but it was Daft Punk that had the image w their space helmets and auto tuned voices that captured the audiences.  EDC wouldn't be around if not for a band like Daft Punk.

Linkin Park-  Brought EMO music to a whole other level.  They were so big Jay-Z wanted to do an album w them.  That's huge.  They wrote songs about pain and angst for the people who couldn't fight and told their stories that were their own.

I wanted to mention Minor Threat for their staple on the Straight Edge movement and writing an X on your hand.  To this day Straight edge is still around and they are very much the reason for it in the first place. It's a smaller movement than any of the above but it definitely sparked other bands.
    Good list but you must have a lot of fingers on one of your hands!  :lol
    Yeah, I can see mentioning Minor Threat as Straight Edge pioneers.  Good one!
    Bloody 'ell, yes! 
    Zod said:

Yeah, I can see both possible sides to this one.  I'm so so sure Elvis really did much to change the music itself, but I think his stage presence give enough added value to his terrific (early, at least) singing voice to make for an almost sure candidate.

Same with the Beatles.  The question is, how much did the four of them actually change music?  I think you have to almost state them as "The Beatles Organization" to make the list.  The changes that were made in the studio were a huge part of their influence.  If you include George Martin as "the Fifth Beatle", then you probably have a shoe in.

• Options
    You know who is missing on this list?  Alanis Morrissette.  She single handedly made women taken seriously in music.  Yes, before her were others but you really saw an explosion of talent after Jagged came out.

I still think I'd have to list Carole King, Janis Joplin, or Patti Smith before Alanis.  Also, No offense to the fine singer, but I kind of doubt Alanis will be seen so much as a major innovator in the long run.  Maybe too soon to tell.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Dinosaur Jr. - Loud Country.
    Rush - birth of Prog-metal
    The Damned - Birth of Goth Rock
    Husker Du - melodic hardcore
    Johnny Cash - the legend

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe doesn't get the recognition for her contribution to rock and roll that she deserves.