• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    Dinosaur Jr. - Loud Country.
    Rush - birth of Prog-metal
    The Damned - Birth of Goth Rock
    Husker Du - melodic hardcore
    Johnny Cash - the legend

A vote for ear-bleeding country- AWESOME!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    GB281198 said:
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe doesn't get the recognition for her contribution to rock and roll that she deserves. 

Truth!  A fine singer and a damn good guitar player!
    Why Sister Rosetta Tharpe Belongs in the Rock Hall of Fame - Rolling Stone

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    brianlux said:
    Johnny Cash - the legend

There is a little country twang in all the grunge and 90s alt rock singers. D Jr. and the Meat Puppets are the influence. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,532
    brianlux said:
    Johnny Cash - the legend

There is a little country twang in all the grunge and 90s alt rock singers. D Jr. and the Meat Puppets are the influence. 
    I love the country overtones in the Meat Puppets’ music. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Johnny Cash - the legend

brianlux said:
    Johnny Cash - the legend

I love the country overtones in the Meat Puppets’ music. 

Whatever happened to Meat Puppets?  They did some great stuff!

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    brianlux said:
    You know who is missing on this list?  Alanis Morrissette.  She single handedly made women taken seriously in music.  Yes, before her were others but you really saw an explosion of talent after Jagged came out.

I still think I'd have to list Carole King, Janis Joplin, or Patti Smith before Alanis.  Also, No offense to the fine singer, but I kind of doubt Alanis will be seen so much as a major innovator in the long run.  Maybe too soon to tell.
    I thought about them, even Loretta Lynn, Hazel Scott or Odetta Holmes.  She was a huge breakout though like I mentioned.  The world of womens music was greatly effected by her.

I wonder if Shania Twain or Garth Brooks could be in there?  Those 2 also propelled modern country music.

As far as only 5?  I couldn't do it.  The 5 if I had to would be Hank Williams, Elvis, Beatles, Jimi and Nirvana.
  • Options
    GB281198 said:
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe doesn't get the recognition for her contribution to rock and roll that she deserves. 
    She sang , for the times, the dirty music yes?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    You know who is missing on this list?  Alanis Morrissette.  She single handedly made women taken seriously in music.  Yes, before her were others but you really saw an explosion of talent after Jagged came out.

I still think I'd have to list Carole King, Janis Joplin, or Patti Smith before Alanis.  Also, No offense to the fine singer, but I kind of doubt Alanis will be seen so much as a major innovator in the long run.  Maybe too soon to tell.
    I thought about them, even Loretta Lynn, Hazel Scott or Odetta Holmes.  She was a huge breakout though like I mentioned.  The world of womens music was greatly effected by her.

I wonder if Shania Twain or Garth Brooks could be in there?  Those 2 also propelled modern country music.

As far as only 5?  I couldn't do it.  The 5 if I had to would be Hank Williams, Elvis, Beatles, Jimi and Nirvana.

Good choices (if you had to limit to 5, haha!)

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good choices (if you had to limit to 5, haha!)
    Every couple of years someone comes along and shakes up the music industry a little bit, that's why 5 is so tuff. 
  • Options
    If Lou Reed wasn’t mentioned yet, he certainly should be
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,880
    GB281198 said:
    What about your OCs tempo? That stuff is pretty darn unique, the little I heard. Classify them? Too much outside the box maybe not an Influence on music. More so a boundry pusher. Idk? 
  • Options
    jdasilvafjdasilvaf Posts: 189
    Adding my two cents but regarding more recent genres of music:

Big Boys - funk punk/skate punk

Throbbing Gristle - noise/industrial, they literally invented a genre.

The Doors - influenced goth/post-punk/psychedelia

The Smiths - indie/jangle pop 

John Coltrane - spiritual jazz

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    https://youtu.be/gELe5Rj_tXU

This was radical in it's time 
  • Options
    jdasilvaf said:

Coltrane- interesting choice!
    Despite being a jazz fan, I hadn't considered jazz artists affect on rock.  But I think if I were to include one jazz artist on my list, it would be a toss up between Coltrane and Miles Davis.  In the late 60/ early 70's, a lot of rock groups and musicians started integrating modal improvisation in their music.  Coltrane was certainly instrumental that way, but Miles did more to integrate modal jazz into rock and visa versa.
    Good call in any case, mentioning Trane.  
    And if we go back to pre-rock, I suppose we should also mention Louis Armstrong, Robert Johnson (I think someone did), and Charlie Parker.  Maybe even Albert Ayler and Ornette Coleman who came after the advent of rock.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    brianlux said:
    jdasilvaf said:

Despite being a jazz fan, I hadn't considered jazz artists affect on rock.  But I think if I were to include one jazz artist on my list, it would be a toss up between Coltrane and Miles Davis.  In the late 60/ early 70's, a lot of rock groups and musicians started integrating modal improvisation in their music.  Coltrane was certainly instrumental that way, but Miles did more to integrate modal jazz into rock and visa versa.
    And if we go back to pre-rock, I suppose we should also mention Louis Armstrong, Robert Johnson (I think someone did), and Charlie Parker.  Maybe even Albert Ayler and Ornette Coleman who came after the advent of rock.
    Don’t forget Sun Ra.  Pete Townsend was a huge fan. I’ve read about* a few rockstars who were influenced by the space jazz. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    GB281198 said:
    What about your OCs tempo? That stuff is pretty darn unique, the little I heard. Classify them? Too much outside the box maybe not an Influence on music. More so a boundry pusher. Idk? 
    The oh Sees, ocs etc, they are definitely a different melt altogether but not enough people know about them yet. We can see.
  • Options
    jdasilvaf said:

Throbbing Gristle!  Haven't heard that name in years!

I thought about the Smiths or the Cure.  They definitely changed the music landscape in one way or the other.  I think the Smiths brought on that next wave of British music wheras The Cure gave birth to The Smiths.
  • Options
    GB281198 said:
    https://youtu.be/gELe5Rj_tXU

This was radical in it's time 
    I mistook her for Ma Rainey.  She was a bit before her.  Still cool to hear that picking on that guitar!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    women were taken seriously in music long before alanis. look at the 60's and how many groups were fronted by women. it was the late 70's and 80's where they were repressed, and the 90's allowed them free reign again. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    women were taken seriously in music long before alanis. look at the 60's and how many groups were fronted by women. it was the late 70's and 80's where they were repressed, and the 90's allowed them free reign again. 
    Of course they were.  Alanis is just someone where you saw the landscape change after her though.  I mentioned other Women in here but for the past 30 years she sticks out.

I try to think of what moment or person where things just changed?

Michael Jackson's Thriller forever changed the way Music Videos were done, if we had an option for that he would have been mentioned.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Of course they were.  Alanis is just someone where you saw the landscape change after her though.  I mentioned other Women in here but for the past 30 years she sticks out.

Michael Jackson's Thriller forever changed the way Music Videos were done, if we had an option for that he would have been mentioned.
    Was thinking about your Alanis suggestion and you have something there. Remembering back to when Jagged Little Pill came out, it was unusual for a female singer to sing with such aggression. It was refreshing! She was pissed off and let it out through her music. 
    It was a real turning point and I remember a lot of people discussing it that way.  Of course, up here in Canada we remembered teeny bopper Alanis with her MuchMusic hits (one video had a pre-Friends Matt LeBlanc in it).  Just awful stuff, but she was a kid. Think Canadian Tiffany. 

She was on this Canadian show called “You Can’t Do That on Television” best known for kids being doused in green slime. I just learned that was picked up by Nickelodeon in the US to air reruns from 1990-94. Go figure. 

Anyways, the transformation of Alanis was sudden and a shock to the system. At first, I had a hard time taking this seriously.  Seemed like a corporate-scheme to cash in on the alternative music that was dominant at the time. 
    But I listened to the interviews from back then (probably all over YouTube now) and realized that this was the music she always wanted to make and events* in her life steered her in that direction. 

One thing I will say, there is no doubting her sheer talent as a vocalist and songwriter. There are some real gems in her catalogue. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    I recall finding out that this was the same alanis that released Too Hot and was skeptical about it, even though I absolutely loved JLP, but then quickly realized as you said, this is her music, the music she wanted to make. 

her a capella "secret song" at the end of the record gives me absolute chills, even today. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,511
    Pete Townshend🤔
    Pete Townshend ❤️‍🔥
    Pete Townshend 😎
    Pete Townshend ❤️
    Pete Townshend 🙏
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    brianlux said:
    jdasilvaf said:

Don’t forget Sun Ra.  Pete Townsend was a huge fan. I’ve read about* a few rockstars who were influenced by the space jazz. 

How could I???  I must have lost my mind.  Yes the great Sun Ra! Some of the best/most unique shows I've even seen.

• Options

And later undone by these cool cats:

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,477
    John Lee Hooker
    Chuck Berry
    The Beatles 
    Jimi Hendrix
    Black Sabbath

• Options
    brianlux said:

And later undone by these cool cats:

The most famous speaker in the world, the Pioneer HPM-100, which is famously shown upside down, lol.  I own these speakers and they are fantastic!
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,511
    edited August 2022
    vito said:
    Pete Townshend🤔
    Pete Townshend ❤️‍🔥
    Pete Townshend 😎
    Pete Townshend ❤️
    Pete Townshend 🙏
    Seriously my 5 would be...

Elvis Presley-
    Rock n Roll's first really big superstar, he made the business huge. A sexual revolution was now attached to the music.

Bob Dylan-
    His lyrics changed EVERYTHING for EVERYONE that followed. The music was pretty fucking great also. The apocalypse was upon us and Jesus just study his lyrics no-one comes close to this man's pen.

The Beatles-
    On any list they have to be included! Like I tell everyone I have musical/artistic discussions with there's a lot of artists that effected the world(almost every artist listed on my list and above) but, the Beatles changed the world.

The Who-
    Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon and John Entwistle 🙏 I think I've stated on here enough times why they belong on here but, I will quickly try again. If everyone who loves all forms of music really studied and analyzed what they accomplished you should unquestionably come to the conclusion they were the most innovative rock band of all time and PT is obviously the biggest reason why.

David Bowie-
    I mean he really created and re-invented over and over again the alternative world of music, art and fashion and it's pretty staggering how many differet artists fall under the landscape he carved out for them. As PT said after he died he was the true artist.

😎

Post edited by vito on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Great question Brian.

I think only a few have done things to "change" music and the landscape that can not be argued with.

Muddy Waters- Everyone stole from him and vice versa?  There were other guitarists but everyone always sites him as an influence.

Pete Seeger- He brought folk music to the masses and wrote songs you probably didn't realize he wrote like "Hammer song" and "Turn Turn Turn.

Hank Williams sr- Americas first Rock Star.  His music was everywhere.  He sold out wherever he went and partied hard when he did.  Died at only 29.  Way before social media and television, Hank Williams became a national star.

Elvis Presley- If you get banned from the waist down on TV you were doing something right, lol.  He hit the world like a hammer. He made women faint.  What he did was crazy.

The Beetles- A band that changed the way in recording w layering and harmonies.  A band so big that they stopped touring and only made studio albums.

Jimi Hendrix- He has a sound so unique that is all his.  The greatest and to me, most influential guitarist of all time.

Black Sabbath- 4 guys from  Birmingham, England that sung dark lyrics and played power chords to the delight of many a fan and birth of metal.

Sex Pistols- The Ramones were first but the Pistols made everyone aware of punk.

Van Halen-  It was more for Eddie VanHalens playing style than the band itself.  EVH would dummy wires in his guitar so people couldn't mimic the sound.  The second most influential guitarist of all time.

Grand Master Flash-  One of the fathers of the birth of hip-hop.  Run DMC may have been bigger but if not for him and the Furious Five there is no rap future. They even coined the term hip-hop.

Nirvana- Janes addiction was gaining a lot of traction but Smells Like Teen Spirit was the song that overnight took over the radio and MTV and gone were the awful hair bands polluting the airwaves.

Daft Punk- Bringing in DJing to another level.  The Chemical Brothers were packing stadiums but it was Daft Punk that had the image w their space helmets and auto tuned voices that captured the audiences.  EDC wouldn't be around if not for a band like Daft Punk.

Linkin Park-  Brought EMO music to a whole other level.  They were so big Jay-Z wanted to do an album w them.  That's huge.  They wrote songs about pain and angst for the people who couldn't fight and told their stories that were their own.

I wanted to mention Minor Threat for their staple on the Straight Edge movement and writing an X on your hand.  To this day Straight edge is still around and they are very much the reason for it in the first place. It's a smaller movement than any of the above but it definitely sparked other bands.
    I like this list. When I think about true sea changes in rock, I agree that these artists were often the catalyst for big changes, even though we all know that every single artist on this list was inspired by another artist who we may have never heard of but who did what the famous artist did first and maybe even better at times.  And we also know that there were other artists who then took what the artists on this list did and boosted it/magnified it in key ways. 

Like, I don't like the Sex Pistols at all, and I'm a major Clash fan and they are a game-changing band in my opinion.  But even I know the Clash were catalyzed to change their form by seeing the Ramones and the Sex Pistols. So I can't argue with the Pistols place in this list even though they were inspired by the Ramones too. But the Pistols brought the "in your face" "sacrilege" to the party.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    brianlux said:

Definitely absolutely Patti Smith before Alanis. Patti's influence was far more far-reaching and game-changing.