Options

Will you Travel Next Tour?

just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,957
edited June 2022 in The Porch
A LOT of discussion has been made about the setlists this tour and how short they have been compared to the years before.

Given that this is the new normal for the band (Main set around 18/19 songs and 1 encore with 3 to 5 songs) the question is simple : 

When the next tour is announced will you travel to multiple shows like in the past?

My answer : Wife and i have a strick rule about "outside PJ"  , it has to be a none festival date and a city we´ve never visit before. (Wien this year is an exception because in 2014 we were only there for 1 day and couldnt visit anything) , if somehow the next city of the tour we never visit and the plain tickets are good we might reconsider (we actually thought about adding Prague but the return to Lisbon was VERY expensive) , so we will probably still do a one european date next tour. The ultimate dream would be seeing them at MSG but thats very very hard, we actually tried this year lol

Will you Travel Next Tour? 202 votes

Yes
58% 119 votes
No
41% 83 votes
Post edited by just_one on

Comments

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    I would add a third option 
    “Yes, but much less than I used to”

If I can drive there in a few hours, I will always go.  

There are also some situations, like Nashville on a Friday, that give me a reason to travel for more than just PJ.  In these instances, I’ll likely go.

Taking multiple days off of work, flying to cities mid week on the opposite coast and spending thousands of dollars on hotels and flights, is what’s going to be cut out for me.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    Of Course GIFs  Tenor
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,268
    edited June 2022
    Yes. Definitely!
    Post edited by TinaE on
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    TinaE said:
    Definitiv
    Freue mich, dass du eine gute Zeit in Berlin hattest!!! Ich auch 😎
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 749
    edited June 2022
    They could play Even Flow 19 times with Sleeping By Myself as an encore and I’d still travel to see them every couple of years.   I usually limit myself to 2 or 3 shows per tour anyway.   They’re my favourite band and they fill my heart with joy whenever I see them.  Forever grateful for the tours we’ve had and the epic shows I got to see - but nothing lasts forever.   
    Post edited by False_Belief on

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Will see as many shows as I can if in countries I have never visited.  If not, 3-4 shows at most.
  • Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,268
    JPPJ84 said:
    TinaE said:
    Definitiv
    Freue mich, dass du eine gute Zeit in Berlin hattest!!! Ich auch 😎
    Ja, es war echt genial....nächste Woche geht`s nach Frankfurt :)
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,374
    I have alot of friends in Australia and could easily do multiple shows there.. but otherwise these European festivals.. no. I have certain cities I'll always go to like Chicago but otherwise sticking closer to home. 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,159
    Maybe because things are touch & go with people still getting sick, could be just this tour. I think it will be like 25-28, occasional 30......prob no more 35 plus barn burners anymore

at least I hope......but the shows i attended were great
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    If it's a close drive, I will. So, I'm a maybe. I'm driving from KC to OKC this tour & can't wait.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    I am going to stick to shows in driving distance I think. Not because of the setlists, but because of all things covid. Sacramento was the first show I ever flew out for and that was a punch in the gut.

Traveling is fun, but I am not going to wait to plan vacations around the short notices we get for tours.  
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I am going to stick to shows in driving distance I think. Not because of the setlists, but because of all things covid. Sacramento was the first show I ever flew out for and that was a punch in the gut.

Traveling is fun, but I am not going to wait to plan vacations around the short notices we get for tours.  
    Yup, same here. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    It will depend on where/when. Back to back weekend dates in major cities will always be enticing, but those are increasingly rare. I have no interest in midweek one-offs in Fresno or OKC.

Fan to fan plays a role, too. Because you can get face value tickets to most shows, sometimes the right seats will spur a trip. That's why we are driving to Ottawa. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited June 2022
    Travelling to see PJ shows has resulted in my wife and I exploring places/countries we may have never visited. Slovenia (Ljubljana and Lake Bled) after the Trieste show for instance. In fact, we probably never even visit Trieste without PJ (another amazing place). Or stopping in Mendoza, Argentina and staying at a winery in between the Santiago and Buenos Aires shows in 2015.

The key for us isn’t travelling only to see PJ. It’s wrapping and planning the vacation around three (usually) PJ shows. Its relaxed and always a blast. Some of my favourite memories are those vacations.  

Hell, I’m off to London in a couple weeks! 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I always have to travel.... between driving/ferry/driving it's about 3.5 hours to vancouver or 5-6 to seattle.  Will I drive further then that.. I dunno.   Probably not, but then again I rarely did.   Usually it was circumstance, a friend living somewhere that PJ was playing... hadn't seen them for a while. go out for a visit and a show kind of thing.

Aren't these setlist lengths basically back to where they were pre 2013?  Lots of people travelled then.

definitely withdrawal going from 3 hour+ barn burns to regular length.

Also, not all festivals are bad.  Pemberton '16 is up there as one of my all time favourites.   If they played a festival in my area I'd go.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Zod said:
    I always have to travel.... between driving/ferry/driving it's about 3.5 hours to vancouver or 5-6 to seattle.  Will I drive further then that.. I dunno.   Probably not, but then again I rarely did.   Usually it was circumstance, a friend living somewhere that PJ was playing... hadn't seen them for a while. go out for a visit and a show kind of thing.

Aren't these setlist lengths basically back to where they were pre 2013?  Lots of people travelled then.

Also, not all festivals are bad.  Pemberton '16 is up there as one of my all time favourites.   If they played a festival in my area I'd go.
    pre-2003 maybe....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    Travelling to see PJ shows has resulted in my wife and I exploring places/countries we may have never visited. Slovenia (Ljubljana and Lake Bled) after the Trieste show for instance. In fact, we probably never even visit Trieste without PJ (another amazing place). Or stopping in Mendoza, Argentina and staying at a winery in between the Santiago and Buenos Aires shows in 2015.

The key for us isn’t travelling only to see PJ. It’s wrapping and planning the vacation around three (usually) PJ shows. Its relaxed and always a blast. Some of my favourite memories are those vacations.  

We are hitting both London shows, but it is also a vacation for our 30th wedding anniversary. We will be doing touristy things in England, then going to Paris for a few days to experience that city. The shows are a bonus.
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,160
    My opinion is the short setlists aren't necessarily a permanent thing, I think they are just trying to get through this without any cancellations and the longer shows will eventually be back so yes I will travel 
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 431
    Sadly, no.

The short sets are way less of an issue to me than the lack of variety. That is a killer to my desire to spend the money on travel to see 4-5 shows. 
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    Guessing a Wrigley show a short walk from my place, with likely a longer setlist, is almost a given next year. 

Now, if I could time a show while on a work trip? Yes, definitely.
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited June 2022
    I’d be less likely to travel with marathon sets unless I’m hitting the first couple of shows in a tour. 

I would  rather have shorter shows than longer ones if the longer ones affect his voice by the time my show comes up 
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 758

Pretty much this. I have actually seen them 5x more in random cities around the world than close to home. Krakow was the one circled on this tour. I actually have tons of frequent flyer miles, but holy crap travelling is a pain in the ass right now. 
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    kaw753 said:

Pretty much this. I have actually seen them 5x more in random cities around the world than close to home. Krakow was the one circled on this tour. I actually have tons of frequent flyer miles, but holy crap travelling is a pain in the ass right now. 
    Yes

The excuse to travel is almost just as important to me.   I have no huge desire to visit Fresno though so it’s more of a perk internationally 
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,340
    I would add a third option 
    “Yes, but much less than I used to”

If I can drive there in a few hours, I will always go.  

There are also some situations, like Nashville on a Friday, that give me a reason to travel for more than just PJ.  In these instances, I’ll likely go.

Taking multiple days off of work, flying to cities mid week on the opposite coast and spending thousands of dollars on hotels and flights, is what’s going to be cut out for me.
    This is the boat I'm in. I'll probably travel to nearby shows (MA, CT, NY, or maybe Philly) but I'm not hopping on a plane again until there's more of a sample size in terms of whether the shorter sets w/ a tad less variety are here to stay.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    Zod said:

pre-2003 maybe....

I am curious when was the last time we had an arena show that had 20 songs on it. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    edited June 2022
    My opinion is the short setlists aren't necessarily a permanent thing, I think they are just trying to get through this without any cancellations and the longer shows will eventually be back so yes I will travel 
    What does removing 5 to 15 songs from the set have to do with getting through cancelations? 

Also we have held tickets for over 2 years. You would think they would be putting longer shows on cause of this. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,160
    PJNB said:
    What does 5 to 10 more songs have to do getting through cancelations? 

Also we have held tickets for over 2 years. You would think they would be putting longer shows on cause of this. 
    In Berlin Ed mentioned limiting exposure so not to have to cancel shows I just thought he may have also meant his voice or maybe matt or Jeff not over exerting if they are still feeling the effects 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    There’s a way to do this and retain the feel of the longer shows. If they have tighter curfews, get on stage 8.30, give or take five minutes. Take encore break one at 1 hour 25 mins and play two 20 minute encores. Restore the acoustic mini set, one or two songs to encore one. This gives most of the band three breaks. Play an extended jam at the end of set one and encore one. This gives Ed extra breaks. They’d still be on stage around two hours ten mins, but the actual show time would be a little longer due to the extra break. And also limit the covers to one song. A bit of a gut punch 20 songs with two or more covers.
  • Options
    devonfzdevonfz Posts: 144
    I think something's going on with the band they used to start the shows pretty much right at 8:30 they're taking almost an hour after the opening band which seems odd I first got the sense that something was off at Ohana when they took almost an hour to come out and then only played for 2 hours because of the curfew same thing in Europe right now not much variety on the set list so much material not getting played and then throw in Sacramento in Vegas being cancelled as opposed to being rescheduled after Denver just seems like something's not quite right
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,801
    I will continue to travel for shows that are in areas  I want to visit.   
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....????