Options

State of elections since 2020

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,937
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,694
    mickeyrat said:
    I posted this on the abortion page too.  Awesome news, congrats!  This is a whipping.  It tells you that the abortion rights vote in Nov will probably be over the 60% anyway.  
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I posted this on the abortion page too.  Awesome news, congrats!  This is a whipping.  It tells you that the abortion rights vote in Nov will probably be over the 60% anyway.  
    its tightened up a bit but look at the map.....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Here's the county numbers themselves.  It's what you would expect, Cuyahoga, Stark, Hamilton, Summit, Lorain, Franklin, all overwhelmingly "no".  The Alabama counties went the other way.  https://www.cleveland.com/election-results/2023/08/ohio-state-issue-1-results-for-the-august-8-2023-special-election.html
  • Options
    Berlin2000Berlin2000 NYC Posts: 114
    Well, done Ohio! 
    PJ: 2000-6-25: Berlin, GER | 2005-3-18: Seattle, WA | 2006-6-30: Milwaukee, WI | 2009-8-24: Chicago, IL | 2012-7-5: Berlin, GER | 2013-7-19: Chicago, IL | 2014-10-17: Moline, IL | 2014-10-20: Milwaukee, WI | 2016-8-20: Chicago 1, IL | 2016-8-22: Chicago 2, IL | 2018-8-18: Chicago N1 |  2018-8-20: Chicago 2, IL | 2021-9-18: Asbury Park, NJ | 2022-9-11: MSG, NY | 2023-9-5: Chicago, IL |
    EV: 2017-9-2: Dana Point, CA | 2022-2-3: NYC 1, NY | 2022-2-4: NYC 2, NY
  • Options

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Here's the county numbers themselves.  It's what you would expect, Cuyahoga, Stark, Hamilton, Summit, Lorain, Franklin, all overwhelmingly "no".  The Alabama counties went the other way.  https://www.cleveland.com/election-results/2023/08/ohio-state-issue-1-results-for-the-august-8-2023-special-election.html

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

From Toledo to Youngstown... 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

57% is a solid percentage,  even a rout. Conceivably a supermajority will be needed in the future, because if Rs try this again on election day, it might pass as the left was highly energized for this August special vote to stop it for now
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    I'm of the opinion that constitutions should not be amended by popular vote. For example, many states amended their constitutions to ban gay marriage 15 to 20 years ago.

That said, given the reason this came up, I like what this result indicates. Some pretty red states are going over 50% pro-choice. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

thats basically a D district as drawn by gop here. district 2(?) I think.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

57% is a solid percentage,  even a rout. Conceivably a supermajority will be needed in the future, because if Rs try this again on election day, it might pass as the left was highly energized for this August special vote to stop it for now

GOP will have to stop the bullshit and go quiet for a long while. a reproductive rights/healthcare amendment is already on the ballot for Nov.

this vote bodes well for our former chief justice(R btw) leading the charge for a new redistricting amendment to remove political players from drawing maps

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    I'm of the opinion that constitutions should not be amended by popular vote. For example, many states amended their constitutions to ban gay marriage 15 to 20 years ago.

That said, given the reason this came up, I like what this result indicates. Some pretty red states are going over 50% pro-choice. 

folks also have a misconception of it being incredibly easy to get an issue on the ballot. my impression is more fail to make the ballot to begin with than succeed.  those that do , still face an uphill battle.

the yes people in this particular case started ads a couple weeks ago.

The no folks focused on social media and I was getting worried but those spots and meme were good.  then the final 3 days created a highly effective tv spot. big pair of upholstery shears with issue 1 stamped on the blade cutting up a we the people parchment....

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,676
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:

folks also have a misconception of it being incredibly easy to get an issue on the ballot. my impression is more fail to make the ballot to begin with than succeed.  those that do , still face an uphill battle.

The no folks focused on social media and I was getting worried but those spots and meme were good.  then the final 3 days created a highly effective tv spot. big pair of upholstery shears with issue 1 stamped on the blade cutting up a we the people parchment....

In what fucked up head is that a vision for democracy? Good lord, that it even got this far, was put to a vote and didn’t get shot down 90-10 or 65-35 doesn’t bode well. For Ohio or the nation. These fucks and their money aren’t going away. I’m guessing a November ballot issue might be closer or go the wrong way.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:

In what fucked up head is that a vision for democracy? Good lord, that it even got this far, was put to a vote and didn’t get shot down 90-10 or 65-35 doesn’t bode well. For Ohio or the nation. These fucks and their money aren’t going away. I’m guessing a November ballot issue might be closer or go the wrong way.

the yes folks were fearmongering. gun owners. parents rights(kids can get sex change operations without consent of parents!!!)

so heres the tell, this issue was put on the ballot by our supermajority gop statehouse.

redistricting measure will be up soon, think for 24. its got juice because of state gop fuckery in their own approved initiative.......

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

Ohio Redistricting Commission descends into chaos and dysfunction on first day back

September 13, 2023 2:25 pm

At left standing is Democratic Ohio House Leader Allison Russo and Republican Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine. On the right, standing, is Republican state Sen. Rob McColley. Seated with her back turned is Democratic Senate Leader Nickie Antonio. (Photo by Susan Tebben, OCJ.)

If Ohio politicians planned to show exactly why they deserve to be kicked out of the redistricting process entirely, they couldn’t have done a better job than the shameful display they put on Wednesday morning: They immediately descended into chaos and dysfunction after waiting more than 16 months to begin the process of drawing new Ohio House and Senate maps.

The meeting was supposed to be “organizational,” and they failed to meet even that low bar, unable to name co-chairs of the commission that will decide on the districts that will shape Ohio’s General Assembly starting in 2025.

continues....