Options

*** OAKLAND, CA NIGHT 2 - 2022 SETLIST THREAD ***

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,566
    Damn Kai was the best drummer last night
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    VaritekVaritek California Posts: 8
    Ed apologized for his angry outburst and said it was his fault. I am paraphrasing but I got the impression he felt like he fucked up. He then mentioned that there are a lot of people with real problems to worry about and that he needs to remind himself of that sometimes. There was plenty of joy coming out of the man the rest of the night but I think he may have been frustrated with a number of things, some of which may not have anything to do with a rock concert.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    edited May 2022
    Sets pretty great for being down 1 band member. Props to the guys. Grats on that full wma Oaktown. 

Hope it completed the vs album for some of you.

It did.  I'd only every gotten it as a tag before.

In regards to last nights show, it was ok.  I liked the setlist for night 2 better but night 1 was the better show.   Night 1 was an amazingly fun show for the band and the audience with the challenge of having to replace Matt at the last minute.  They seemed to be struggling a lot more on night 2, and it felt like getting down to business.  I was actually surprise they changed the setlist as much as they did.    Most bands don't play different sets every night.. that had to be much harder in this situation.  I give them props for mixing it up and not doing the same set on the 2nd night in spite of what was going on.

I think the thing I missed the most was more gigaton.  hopefully next time.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    I didn't catch any of the frustration that people are describing. Didn't notice any of it. 
    I’m sure most didn’t, but these are the fan(antics) 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    edited May 2022
    Time to call in Jack Irons Or Dave K or Matt Chamberlain or that guy from the Voice who is begging to play drums for PJ, Adam Levine. Call in a favor boys. Or don’t and don’t be frustrated. Plenty of talented drummers out there that can contribute. 
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,840
    Damn Kai was the best drummer last night
    I hate to be that guy but no. He did great under those circumstances but made a few flubs here and there. I hate even posting this but the drummer in me couldn’t resist. The kid is incredible and for sure has a bright future ahead. It’s great seeing kids that age rocking out. 
  • Options
    snowrider_04snowrider_04 Berkeley, CA Posts: 90
    I didn't catch any of the frustration that people are describing. Didn't notice any of it. 
    I was there, about 20 people back from Eddie and saw him throw his wine bottle...kinda of threw it down towards the side of the stage. It totally felt out of character, you could tell something was up...but he snapped out of it fast. 
    Live & Loud: A list of every concert I've been to.
    Vintage Four Wheels: If you like vintage cars.

2022: Oakland 1, Oakland 2 • 2018: Seattle 1 • 2014: Mountain View (BSB) • 2013: Philadelphia 1, Philadelphia 2, Oakland • 2011: Oakland 1 (EV), Oakland 2 (EV) • 2009: San Francisco (Outside Lands) • 2008: Berkeley (EV) • 2006: San Francisco 1, San Francisco 2 Mountain View (BSB) •  2000: Mountain View • 1999: Mountain View (BSB) • 1992: Stanhope (Lollapalooza)
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,487
    I think people are making a bigger deal of it than it actually was.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,840

Amazing 
  • Options
    THETONYCLIFTONTHETONYCLIFTON SAN LUIS OBISPO Posts: 153
    As if this kid didn’t need anything else to make him cooler, check that shirt out! Pretty sure it’s a 1997 Rage Against  the Machine shirt! Bad ass! 

He fuckin killed it on “Mind Your Manners” which was def favorite rocker of the night for me. It was so fuckin loud where I was too, and that little dude was just whaling away! So young and talented, he gives me hope for the future. 

WMA was second as that drum back and forth was sweet. But yeah Ed was raging himself at something! That walk around the front of the stage 4-5 times was weird and each time he circled around and passed front row they went ape shit as fronts rows at a PJ show always do but then Ed had the mean mug face and I truly believe it was just how it sounded because it was pretty bad. I see them pull their ear pieces out here and there but every member but Stone did I see struggling to make it sound right and taking their ear pieces out over and over. They weren’t able to get timing right and “Low Light” really displayed the fragility of the combo on stage. Ed throughout the night turning to signal Richard to speed up or slow down. The whole COVID political thing felt like him really just wanting to vent about all his frustration with this insidious shit and saying “FUCK YOU!” repeatedly. 

Oh and what was going on with the guy on Stones side smoking or vaping? I saw security constantly flashing him and he was oblivious to it. Then the dude never to him was yelling at him and then put his middle finger right in the guys face, it was comical from a distance but wasn’t sure what I was witnessing. Ed trying to throw a tambourine to a specific person behind the stage and it taking minutes to execute the throw and confirming with everyone in the vicinity who it truly was meant for was also entertaining but you could see the dad in him come out like “Come on people, it can’t be this difficult to do this.” But Ed’s got some impressive aim with those tambourines after all those years of chuckin’ them! 

First night def sounded much better and the intensity was much higher! Just getting home and will update with more after some sleep and a hike. Thanks again to Katie! You’re the best!! 
    "..to find the comfort in this world."
  • Options
    Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 154
    edited May 2022
    So of course I had to go on the YouTube to look for "The Alive". These kids have already played Lollapalooza Chili and BottleRock festivals. Bright future ahead of them!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    I was there, about 20 people back from Eddie and saw him throw his wine bottle...kinda of threw it down towards the side of the stage. It totally felt out of character, you could tell something was up...but he snapped out of it fast. 
    OK I do remember that. I didn't see it as being a big deal I guess 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,163
    Really? I feel like there are tons of examples of him showing his temper during shows. 
  • Options
    JH81185JH81185 Posts: 17
    edited May 2022
    So curious about the drama tonight. Having been there and reading everyone’s perspectives, is it possible the crew person who handles their monitors was out with covid and someone else was filling in and struggling??
     Hence Ed kinda losing it for a minute, so frustrated with covid challenges?
    these have been taxing times
    I dont know who does monitors , purely speculation 
    if its an audience problem, Ed usually handles it....
    Post edited by JH81185 on
    10/28/00 - San Bernardino - PJ
    10/28/03 - SB BOWL - PJ
    7/13/06 - SB BOWL - PJ
    4/10/08 - SB ARLINGTON - EV
    7/9/11 - SB BOWL - EV
    10/31/12 - LAS VEGAS - EV
    11/1/12 - LAS VEGAS - EV
    11/24/13 - LA SPORTS ARENA - PJ
    8/18/18 - WRIGLEY - PJ
    8/20/18 - WRIGLEY - PJ

• Options
    exploderballexploderball Posts: 150
    I think people are making a bigger deal of it than it actually was.
    I completely agree. Ed felt he messed up during Low Light, got pissed off at himself, kicked and threw some shit, but quickly moved on after Even Flow and seemed fine the rest of the show. All the speculation about drama with drummers or crew members is way off base from what I saw.
  • Options
    exploderballexploderball Posts: 150
    Sets pretty great for being down 1 band member. Props to the guys. Grats on that full wma Oaktown. 

Hope it completed the vs album for some of you.
    WMA was the highlight of both shows for me. So great. I got it as a tag twice before, but I've been waiting so long for the full song. Worth the wait. And it completed Vs for me too...
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Was there a preset yet?
    Throw Your Arms Around Me
    And it was absolutely gorgeous 
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Oakland shows always remind me of Yield because of those '97 openers they did for the Stones. Great short sets.
    97 RS openers were my Pearl Jam Live origin story.
    May 12th was my 100th. Started in Oakland. Turned 100 in Oakland…May 13th was the better show tho obviously. 

#standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    EV is super pissed
    Maybe whatever happening is being enhanced by the unique stress of playing a show with your buddy sick and unable to play drums, and being backed by grooves you are not super prepped and sure on since it was spur of the moment? 

Perfectly captured. This was it. 

#standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    Outlawed TornOutlawed Torn Posts: 32
    edited May 2022
    Anyone else notice that Corduroy and Rearviewmirror are missing from the tour history page.

https://pearljam.com/tour/history/show/oakland-1652541945 
    Post edited by Outlawed Torn on
  • Options
    THETONYCLIFTONTHETONYCLIFTON SAN LUIS OBISPO Posts: 153
    Anyone else notice that Corduroy and Rearviewmirror are missing from the tour history page.

https://pearljam.com/tour/history/show/oakland-1652541945 
    Yeah, I think they just forgot to put Corduroy after Interstellar Overdrive, but Rearviewmirror is definitely completely absent. I was thinking it may be a Mandella Effect...
    "..to find the comfort in this world."